Motoring Discussion > My 1200GS is emigrating. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 22

My 1200GS is emigrating. - R.P.
I sold my 04 1200 GS yesterday - after a fruitless punt on E-Bay I got an e-mail from a Belgian dealer after the advert ran its course and true to his word he turned up yesterday, an close inspection and a test ride - he paid the full asking price with no quibble. He'd already got another in the back of his van and will be selling them for a substantial premium a his dealership. It was the quickest most hassle free sale, the biggest hassle was counting the spondulies ! Offered to pay me the 5k ticket price in 50 pound notes or in Euros but opted for 20s...!

I'm really sad to see this bike go but I needed the space - I'm really going to miss it - in all the miles travelled it never let me down and the only non-service part replaced was a headlamp bulb. Well made an solid a credit to BMW.
 My 1200GS is emigrating. - smokie
Oh dear, I fear a long thread developing about forge notes and not trusting Johnny Foreigner.

Still, good news if it works out! :-)
I'm off to the bank now !
 My 1200GS is emigrating. - Zero
I'd be off to the pub.
 My 1200GS is emigrating. - CGNorwich

Surely not fallen for the old "Belgian pays with real cash scam". Its so fiendishly clever that nobody has worked out where the catch is yet. :-)
 My 1200GS is emigrating. - DP
Ebay sales to mainland European buyers are quite common. My old mk2 Mondeo went to Poland under similar circumstances. Absolutely fantastic experience. Guy was on time, polite, paid cash and was away in 15 minutes. The most pleasant, hassle free vehicle sale of my entire life.

I still sometimes wonder which Polish city my old car is currently minicabbing in....
>> I still sometimes wonder which Polish city my old car is currently minicabbing in....

Peterboroughski.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 12 Aug 10 at 12:11
All done, cash paid in (asked some questions at the bank) - the deal was effortless, took longer than 15 minutes, but there was a social side to it, being a fellow biker. Bike gone, slip gone to DVLA, tax disc cashed it at the local DVLA. Researched the fellow online, seemed a pukka dealer....only so much you can do.
 My 1200GS is emigrating. - L'escargot
When I first saw the thread title I thought you were talking about the Citroën 1200 GS.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 12 Aug 10 at 15:20
 My 1200GS is emigrating. - Iffy
Nice to know there are some genuine buyers - and sellers(!) - on ebay.
 My 1200GS is emigrating. - Woodster
Zero - your typing's not wasted, I was howling...
 My 1200GS is emigrating. - Fullchat
Just bought a cracking Yamaha FJR 1300 on Ebay.

cgi.ebay.co.uk/2006-YAMAHA-FJR-1300-SILVER-/170515528061?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item27b384797d

As described.

I'm not sure who was being the most cautious at the time of sale but presented my bankers draft at his bank where it was authenticated and rode home with a big grin :-]
 My 1200GS is emigrating. - MD
Being out of the biking fraternity (as a rider) for a while now that strikes me as a lot of loot for an 06? Or am I completely out of touch?

MD
...and rode home with a big grin...

I see the particulars say no road tax present.

And you rode home? With a big grin?

Tsk, tsk, you being an officer of the law and all that.
Silver? wow thats a real tarts bike.
 My 1200GS is emigrating. - legacylad
And its only 5 speed. Even my better half's lowly Insignia has 6.

tic
Well thanks for the positive response ;-)

1. I didn't pay that for it.
2. Didn't mind paying over the odds for a really good example and all the extras amounted to quite a lot.
3. Tax disc obtained from a Post Office in the shadow of Aston Villas ground.
4. I like the colour - matches my hair.
5. Yes 5 speed and feels like it could do with another but is capable and gave me 50MPH coming home at a good cruising speed.
That should have read 50MPG.

MD you are looking at 14 and 1/2 K for a new one 10 plate. Prices of import bikes has gone sky high since Britain went into financial meltdown.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Fri 13 Aug 10 at 18:10
...MD you are looking at 14 and 1/2 K for a new one 10 plate...colour matches my hair...

Cripes, you could probably get a Focus CC for that - proper hairdresser's car, so I'm told.

My 1200GS is emigrating. - Harleyman

>> Cripes, you could probably get a Focus CC for that -

You sound like my Dad!
>> 4. I like the colour - matches my hair.

www.chemistdirect.co.uk/just-for-men-shampoo-in-haircolour-natural-real-black_1_1528.html
Is that 2 pack or water based? Do they do that nice Yamaha blue to match my eyes? Could do a respray I suppose ;-]
 My 1200GS is emigrating. - Hard Cheese

Cracking bike in the best colour, you simply dont need 6 gears with that kind of power and torque.

Rather like my ZRX, some fit the 6 speed box from the ZZR which offers the same ratio top gear though Kawasaki have it right, the 5 ratios are well spaced.

Big Yamahas are probably the best finished bikes, when my bike was last MOT'd there was a guy with a stella mileage Y plate FJR with no signs of corrosion where as pitted fork legs affect BMWs, Hondas and Suzukis, I know I spent a couple of summers (07 and 08) helping a mate with a bike shop refurb 2nd hand bikes.

Latest Forum Posts