Motoring Discussion > Vauxhall Vectra C - How many miles is a run in engine? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 6

Vauxhall Vectra C - How many miles is a run in engine? - Bigtee
From brand new a diesel vectra 1.9cdti 120/150bhp how many miles do you recon it needs to be fully run in?

The one i have just bought came with 5k original been owned by a old man who used it locally, 58 plate.

Id say 20-25k and the engine should feel more loose and run in or do you think less?

Fuel consumption should be better on a run in engine than a new one?

My petrol 1.6 Astra took 18k till it ran in and performance and fuel consumption was much better sold it at 32k it drove lots better than when it was new.

Your thoughts please?
 Vauxhall Vectra C - How many miles is a run in engine? - AnotherJohnH
I'd say your statements are all about right.

But, I'd have some concerns that it may not have been used with sufficient vigour during it's first ownership.

It's not that all us old men potter about, but the one you describe might have as the mileage is so low.

Glazed bores and high oil consumption spring to mind as likely problems, before we start on DPF and other diesel features.

He bought the wrong car (for the use he gave it).
 Vauxhall Vectra C - How many miles is a run in engine? - Bigtee
Yes he did a smaller petrol may have been better however he died so the family sold it on.!

Since i have had it i have done 1k in the last 2 weeks took it up above the limit for long periods of time and it goes well, so it will get some miles on it while it's still in warranty.
 Vauxhall Vectra C - How many miles is a run in engine? - DP
The last new car I had was an 05 plate Megane dCi which was still.getting stronger and more frugal when I left the company and handed it back with 10k on the clock. 20k wouldn't surprise me at all.
 Vauxhall Vectra C - How many miles is a run in engine? - L'escargot
Before I bought it my 2 litre petrol Focus had done 4000 miles in 16 months. I subsequently mentioned the mileage/age to the service advisor at a large Ford dealer and he said he didn't envisage it would have given rise to any problems, other than the inevitable corrosion of the brake discs. I haven't given the car any special consideration when driving it, and the overall average fuel consumption has always been better than the official combined. There was a slight improvement during the first 10,000 miles, but nothing to get excited about.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Fri 13 Aug 10 at 07:11
 Vauxhall Vectra C - How many miles is a run in engine? - Victorbox
I never thought my petrol Zafira was truly run in until it was past 40,000 miles. In fact now it's past 80,000 miles the smoothness and fuel consumption is the best it's been.
 Vauxhall Vectra C - How many miles is a run in engine? - Iffy
My last 1.8TDCi Focus was running better than it ever had been when I sold it at 70,000m.

Occasional slight judder from the transmission when starting was a bit of a worry, though. :)

Latest Forum Posts