Motoring Discussion > BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions
Thread Author: DP Replies: 136

BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - DP
Well, she is here at last. The long awaited phone call from the dealership finally came on Friday. "I've got some good news for you. I'm looking at your car now coming off the transporter. Soonest I can have it ready for you is Monday afternoon." Done, in the diary and cue a flurry of activity mixed with dizzy kid levels of excitement.

The first task was to get shot of the Focus. I'd bought myself a mk2 Focus 2.0 Zetec as a stopgap which I'd piled 3,000 miles on since Jan 1st and it had done so without a single breakdown or failure to start. However, and in complete fairness for a £550 car that had had no maintenance since it was pressed into service, it was starting to protest. One of the wheel bearings was starting to complain, the brake discs were juddering like crazy, and the borderline front tyres had crossed the border. I'd already sprung for a new clutch (the saga of fitting it was detailed in a thread on here under "Jobs you wish you'd never started") and a service. Beyond that, it was about running it for as little as possible. So, on it went to eBay with a very honest list at 99p with no reserve. 24 hours later, a local trader handed over £250 in pound notes and drove it away. I figured it was £150 worth of parts (plus a load of time I didn't really have) to get the problems sorted, and then it would still only be a £500 car, so he was welcome to the small profit. Walked back into the house, notified the DVLA on line that I'd sold it to a trader, filed the e-mail confirmation safely, and the job was done.

The next task was to sort out some insurance for the new car. I'm 7 months into a policy so was expecting my insurer to gamble on my reluctance to swallow the hefty cancellation fee and come up with something ridiculous. I was pleasantly surprised at the modest £55 premium hike over the Focus which, with the obligatory £25 admin fee, took my annual premium to a whisker under £390. For an M140i on an estimated 15k a year with business cover, I didn't think this was too bad at all.

After driving my long suffering family mad for the next couple of days, the moment finally arrived. The four of us arrived at the dealership to find a 1-series shaped blob under a dark cloth in a small, segregated area of the showroom. But before we got to the goodies, there was some boring stuff to take care of first. A bit of paperwork, a chat with the finance chap to go through a few bits, sign my life away on the documentation, pay the balance of the deposit, and it was time to see the car for the first time.

The salesman asked if I was ready, then pulled the cover back to reveal the car. It is hard to explain how such a simple thing made such a difference, but after a wait of over 3 months, to see the car there, polished to perfection and ready to go was a massive moment, and actually more than a little emotional. In the 3 months since I'd driven and ordered the car, all the positive stuff had dulled, and the reality of the monthly commitment (fully and carefully budgeted and affordable, but even so) became more prominent in my head. All that evaporated the second the cover swept back to reveal what I was actually getting. It looked perfect. The grey, the red leather, those lovely 18" wheels, the big twin tailpipes. I just stood there taking it in. As experiences go, it is one of those things that will stay with me for a long time. I have to say the experience from the dealer from start to finish was just incredible. 2 unaccompanied test drives, no pressure at any point, and a really enjoyable hand over, and I have written to them to express this.

The salesman (also a genuine car guy - owns an old TVR) said he didn't want to bore me by going through every feature, but would focus on the new iDrive system and safety related stuff such as seat adjustments, security measures etc, and if there was anything else, just ask. Sinking into the seat for the first time and taking in the sights and lovely new car smells of the car, I realise now that the rest of it was actually a bit of a blur. We paired my phone to the Bluetooth, went through the operation of the lights, seats, and various other stuff that, and then it was time for a handshake, to pull the sliding showroom doors back, and drive away.

Firing the car up to drive it out of the showroom was another brilliant piece of theatre. By modern car standards, the M140i is actually pretty loud on start-up, something that has drawn mixed responses from owners on the various owners forums I've been frequenting. When the engine fires, the revs flare to about 1300 RPM even when the engine is warm, and sit there for a good 10-15 seconds before dropping back. It's a lovely straight six burble that I will never tire of, but subtle it is not, even in the open air. In the confines of a sparsely furnished room, it sounded epic to me. Both kids jumped in with me, and once they were safely belted in, I selected drive, and we were off.

As alluded to previously, it was 3 months since I'd driven one, so there was a lot of reacquaintance and rediscovery. The first thing to be reminded of just on nosing forward, after years of (very happily) driving four cylinder cars was the sheer smoothness of the engine. You cannot feel any vibration at all through any surface when it's idling, with just a distant burble from the exhaust being the only real clue. Once out on the road, the next thing that I was reminded of was how remarkably docile such a quick car can feel, and how happy it is to just pootle about. Throttle response is very linear and easy to modulate in the car's default 'Comfort' mode, and the 8 speed ZF box short shifts at about 1800 RPM on light throttle. There's a faintly ridiculous 500NM of torque on tap from 1500 RPM so with this, and combined with the smoothness mentioned earlier, it's a very effortless and relaxing thing to just bimble about in. Add supportive, but comfy leather seats and very good ride and overall refinement in Comfort mode, and there's a 'waft factor' that you wouldn't expect in a car of this size and type.

And that in short is what I fell in love with about the car, and what I am really enjoying already. It's two cars in one. In Comfort mode it's a relaxed cruiser with a comfy ride, silky smooth engine that you can barely hear. In Sport mode it goes like the clappers, is surprisingly loud and rorty, throws loads of pops and burbles out the exhaust, rides firmly, and has a throttle response that is almost hyperactive. My only real complaint is the steering which is over-light and lacking feel. Just like every other modern car, I suppose, but coming from a mk1 Focus, there is no doubt the old Ford had far superior steering. I suspect given the amount of grunt, this could be quite an annoyance when pushing on, and just take away that last degree of enjoyment but we will see what familiarity brings.

In terms of pushing on, with only 100 miles covered, I haven't opened the taps yet, and the car has basically been ambling about to the station and local running around duties where it is showing its disgust with an average of 18.7 mpg so far. I'm not worried unduly by this. Everyone says these cars crack mid-high 30s on a run, the engine is tight, and the usage pattern is not what you'd call economy focused. In terms of running in, BMW suggest 1200 miles of gentle treatment with a 4500 RPM rev limit before you properly open it up. I intend to follow this in spirit at least. I've squeezed the throttle a couple of times while short shifting via the paddles to keep the revs down, and performance is more than quick enough to see off anything I've owned before already. When it's run in, 0-60 is alleged to take 4.6 seconds, and 0-100 9.9, so it's more than enough to be entertaining. What the figures don't show is the delivery though which is utterly lag free, and with a proper kick in the back just a flex of the foot away. It sounds wonderful as well. There's a gravelly, slightly metallic bark at low to medium revs, and I remember the demonstrator giving a proper BMW six pot howl at the top end. It pulls hard all the way to 7k as well. I just have to keep in mind the rules and be gentle, for now.

It's going to get some longer runs over this weekend and into next week with work, and I hope to have the 1200 miles ticked off in the next couple of weeks when I can then investigate Sport+ mode and the Launch Control (yes, really!). I will update as the miles go on, but so far I can't remember ever falling so instantly in love with a car.

Mobile phone pics here (Photobucket links). Better SLR ones to follow (once the weather improves)

tinyurl.com/hwawcua
tinyurl.com/zsng8hy
tinyurl.com/jq2nnlt
tinyurl.com/hoak3t8
tinyurl.com/zp7wmjk

BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - No FM2R
Lucky man, Enjoy.
 BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - sherlock47
Not sure that I could live with the interior trim! OK for a brickie or a clay modeller I suppose :)

Are you aware that links give access to a lot of other photos?
>> Not sure that I could live with the interior trim! OK for a brickie or
>> a clay modeller I suppose :)
>>
>>
>> Are you aware that links give access to a lot of other photos?

Yes, there's nothing sensitive in there.

I loved the Coral Red. Makes the interior in my opinion. I appreciate it's a bit 'Marmite' though. :-)
 BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - martin aston
Great review. Its refreshing to have a really delighted owner sharing their excitement.
 BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - Bobby
Lovely car - guy round here has got one that is polished to its life and then put back under a cover in his garage!

Boring question time - does your car have reversing sensors?
Last edited by: Bobby on Fri 10 Mar 17 at 12:14
>> Boring question time - does your car have reversing sensors?

No, that was my one mistake. My old 320d had rears as standard with optional fronts. I assumed stupidly this would be the same and it isn't. Parking sensors are part of a Driver Comfort Pack with cruise control, which I didn't spec. SWMBO was alarmed to find them missing. I was alarmed that she was alarmed! :-)
Jeez - it just goes to show you how different folks have different priorities when it comes to car.
I would not buy a car now without sensors (reversing at least) and cruise control.
I would also prefer sensors over a reversing camera.

And it also goes to show the differences between manufacturers - I would assume that spending what you have, then these things would be standard?

Remember in the olden days BMW used to basically sell basic cars that you then added the bits you wanted like radios etc (probably before they were fully within the company car driver target)
Cruise control is all but unusable with modern traffic conditions based on the driving I do. I had it on my old VW CC and almost every time I turned it on, I'd be constantly overriding and interrupting it. This does have a speed limiter, which is much more useful in my view.

Sensors are a fair point, and something I do regret overlooking. That said, it's not exactly a tank, so easy enough to manoeuvre. Visibility is good, the mirrors are huge, and being a hatch, it basically "ends" where the back window is, so it's not a showstopper. Wish I had it though.

The demonstrator was fully loaded (as you would expect) with about £15k worth of options. The budget wouldn't stretch that far, but I have no interest in having a sunroof or a head up displays anyway. I was quite restrained. Ticked the Harman Kardon hifi, heated front seats (SWMBOs one stipulation), Pro Media, Adaptive Suspension mostly for the lovely ride you get in Comfort mode, rear privacy glass and the auto box.

You get a decent spec as standard. Dual zone climate, latest v5 iDrive system, leather trim, speed limiter, keyless start, usual electric windows and mirrors, LED headlights, puddle lights, 18" alloys etc etc. It's worth also mentioning that this car was actually markedly cheaper than an equivalent spec Golf GTI.
 BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - rtj70
>> Jeez - it just goes to show you how different folks have different priorities when it comes to car.

When I finally got to order a brand new company car (instead of inheriting others' cars) then one thing I wanted was air-con and cruise control. Neither standard on cars in 1999.

Now I would add the following to my "I really want these":

- HID/Xenons (preferably adaptable)
- Leather
- Heated front seats
- Parking sensors
- Sat nav
- Bluetooth - pretty standard now though... so why do we see Range Rover drivers holding phones?

The HID/Xenons I'd class as a safety item. They are so much better than halogen.
 BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - CGNorwich
Don't think the absence of any of those would trouble me much. Nor the cruise control come to that. Air conditioning and a DAB radio and I'm happy.
Sat Nav?
Would never buy a car with inbuilt sat nav again. Not now when phones have free sat nav and worse case discreet TomToms with free updates.
>> Sat Nav?

Don't like trailing wires and phone holders. Most cars I'd consider would have it as standard these days anyway.
 BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - Duncan
>>and worse case discreet TomToms with free updates.
>>

What do they do then?

Cough and whisper when you have taken a wrong turning?
 BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - Runfer D'Hills
>> I would not buy a car now without sensors (reversing at least) and cruise control.
>> I would also prefer sensors over a reversing camera.

Y'see, now there's a thing, my car has parking sensors front and rear, and indeed a reversing camera.

I don't consciously use any of them, just don't trust the beepy things. I much prefer to set the mirrors so I can see what I need to and use my own judgement. Maybe I'm being old fashioned of course but I trust my eyes more than I trust sensors.
I have never heard a crunch or scrape when using my sensors.
Sensors of course don't need light to see whereas the camera is easily affected by rain or dirt or darkness!
Yeah, but you're a bloke right? What's more you're a Scots bloke...parking sensors...jeez...get a grip man.

;-)
Last 3 cars has had them. Works van has them. Wife's car doesn't...

On more than one occasion I have been reversing her car waiting for the beeping to start when I have suddenly remembered there wont be any beeping!
Very disappointing. I do hope you are suitably ashamed?

;-)
 BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - Bromptonaut
>> Very disappointing. I do hope you are suitably ashamed?
>>
>> ;-)

In (give/take 2 months) 40yrs full licence I've had three at fault claims. All occurred while i was reversing and no other vehicle was moving :-(

While I'd not have specified it new the Skoda's reversing radar is damned useful
 BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - tyrednemotional
....Indeed, though I understand you can now get sensors built into alloy wheel rims to warn of imminent kerbing.

Can't see that catching on. I mean, whoever on here....
Bleh !
 BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - Boxsterboy

>> I loved the Coral Red. Makes the interior in my opinion. I appreciate it's a
>> bit 'Marmite' though. :-)
>>

My wife's 10-year old Merc CLK has a very similar colour leather on the seats, with very pale metallic blue paint (Tellurite blue). In the brochure at the time Mercedes said "Not recommended!" Germans, eh! What do they know about style?! :-)
 BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - MD
>> Not sure that I could live with the interior trim! OK for a brickie I suppose :)
>>
OY!
 BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - Manatee
Glad you like it so much, there's always a risk of buyer's remorse when great expectations have been built up.

I'm hoping to get more time driving my replacement tank which I am quite pleased with, despite it being much the same as its predecessor - I'm so glad to have an auto again.
 BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - Avant
Rear sensors were fitted by the dealer to SWMBO's new A1. Might be worth asking whether a retro-fit is possoble on BMWs.

Good luck with it - there really is nothing quite like a straight-six.
Last edited by: Avant on Fri 10 Mar 17 at 13:05
 BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - PeterS
Looks great :)

I really wish I'd gone for the coral red with mine though...known as superman spec to the dealers when ordered in the blue of mine.

I've done 7k miles in an M235i (convertible) and can categorically state that, whilst its technically possible to achieve mid 30s on a decent length journey, the reality is very low 30s. And in day to day use high 20s to the gallon...at least the way I drive it ;)
By the way, if you put it into 'sport' rather than the 'comfort' mode it defaults to on start up the throttle response is improved and the steering becomes heavier, which might address one of your comments on the steering. Does nothing for the steeering feel mind, but that's electric PAS for you :(
Fuel economy...
Highlight: tinyurl.com/z9f9mpd
Lowlight: tinyurl.com/gr5wkhq

10/10 for fun though ;)
 BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - Statistical Outlier
Sounds like a most satisfying process and a lovely new car. I finally got rid of my Accord at 205,000 reliable miles in a rather less satisfactory way: it got written off the day before I was due to pick up my new car. A rather sad and inglorious end.

Still, I'm very much enjoying my new Golf R Estate. It may not be quite as commodious as my Accord was, well, at least until it was unceremoniously shortened, but my goodness it's faster and all the modern gadgets are lovely to have. The sheer unfussy fury with which the R accelerates is a revalation. No fuss, no squirming, just point and go. It sounds nice under acceleration as well. Probably not as good as your Beemer, but I'm gettting 37 mpg on the motorway which, with 300PS and a 5.1 second 0-60, |'m pretty pleased with.
Sounds great DP. Proper car that !

Enjoy !
I could not live with the red interior. Looked on Auto Trader a few times recently at cars and thought 'oh no' when it had red leather.

Nice car though.
 BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - legacylad
Just a lovely colour combination. My favourite by far, as I've said previously. I hope you enjoy it.
Purely by coincidence, a few days ago I noticed that Cooper BMW Cobham had that exact colour combination on a 16 plate 340 Touring. And my dear old Aunt has left me a few quid and I don't believe in saving for rainy days.
Mmmmmm
And I still miss my old 330. With the proper straight six, the 'new' 330 being a 4 pot.
Next time you are up in t'Dales call round if you would be so kind.
 BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - zippy
Lovely motor DP, the leather looks fab too, though I wouldn't have been brave enough for red it does really suit the car.

Hope you have lots of fun in it.
 BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - R.P.
Lovely car...! I had seats that colour in my X1 !
 BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - Hard Cheese
Haven't posted on here for five years, I remember it well it as was just before I went to Vegas for a week to attend a conference and when I got back I made a conscious decision to spend much less time being unproductive online. However I have looked in very infrequently and in doing so today I came across this thread.

I have a 2015 M135i 5 door 8 speed auto with adaptive suspension etc, the driver comfort pack is certainly worthwhile, the cruise control is great and the PDC is useful. Mine has elec folding and auto dimming door mirrors, the latter being a great feature, and also adaptive LED headlights with high beam assistant which are fantastic. It's one of the last built without what they call the black panel display so the MPG gauge is analogue, this in my opinion offers a great advantage on an auto car as the gear position indicator is right in the middle directly between your hands when using the flappy paddles.

37mpg on the motorway is easily achievable in Comfort mode without needing to potter and can probably be improved in Eco+.
 BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - smokie
Welcome back Cheddar, don't leave it so long next time!! :-)
Many thanks Smokie, I should have said hello to all!
 BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - VxFan
>> Welcome back Cheddar

Wot he said.

Presumably you've had grater things to do? ;)
He was cheesed off. Or possibly blue.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 12 Mar 17 at 19:48
Someone should propose a toast, or would that be crackers?
 BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - tyrednemotional
... You're about *that* far from being punched on the wotsit......
Please don't disappear for so long this time Cheddar, of you we are very fondue know.
Welcome back Cheddar! :-) What a great coincidence. It was actually a passenger ride in a mate's M135i that got me looking down this route. When I eventually got around to doing something about it, the M140i had come out and the 135 wasn't available any more.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I have put a couple of hundred miles on it now, and it's about to make a long trek to West Wales this afternoon, and back tomorrow, which should take it up to about 700 in total. Having to use the paddles to call time at 4000 RPM is fun, but I can't wait to let it rev out a bit.

Averaging 24 mpg so far with mixed driving, mostly in Comfort mode. Loving the exhaust pop on upshifts in Sport mode though :-)
Thanks DP! I should have said that my M135i is a facelift model so exactly as yours to look at (though a different exterior/interior colour combo), I really like the frontal styling, this approach is being followed on the new 5-Series M-Sport and also the new M750Li.
BTW - it's good to brie back ... ...
 BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - Statistical Outlier
Blimey, you've been away as long as I have, and for similar reasons by the sounds of it. Nice to hear from you.
Much longer I think, my previous post was Jan '12. Nice to hear from you too. It's good to see some familiar names though no doubt some of the old muckers have changed their handles, any steer on that?
 BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - VxFan
>> BTW - it's good to brie back ... ...

Caerphilly does it.
>> >> BTW - it's good to brie back ... ...
>>
>> Caerphilly does it.
>>

Hehe, still rarebit ing on then ...
Nice motor. Not a bit envious, no, not one bit so there. Jealous, well that's a different matter. Enjoy.
Thank you all for the kind words and comments.

It's now run in and had its first trip up to the red line. Ridiculous performance, but the noise is what I'm enjoying most after years of four pot diesels.

Average mpg up to 29.7. Computer is very accurate. I'm keeping an Excel sheet as well (yes, I know!) and that's reporting 29.2 so far. There is a lot of motorway work in that figure, admittedly.

Wet traction is a challenge. I had the 'box kick down when overtaking from 50 mph the other day in the damp and it spun the rear wheels up. I've found the way to do it is downshift on the paddles, then apply the power, when it does hook up better. It seems to be the abrupt downahift that does it.

Loving it so far. :-)
>> Average mpg up to 29.7. Computer is very accurate. I'm keeping an Excel sheet as
>> well (yes, I know!) and that's reporting 29.2 so far. There is a lot of
>> motorway work in that figure, admittedly.
>>

Mine seems to hover around early 30's, more on a run.

>> found the way to do it is downshift on the paddles, then apply the power,
>> when it does hook up better. It seems to be the abrupt downahift that does
>> it.
>>

That means that you can control when the down change happens though I find that to overtake smoothly when in auto the best way often is to simply slot it across to manual not down shift at all as it pull like a train at any revs; though you can use the paddles to change down a ratio or two if a very quick overtake is necessary or warp speed is desired ...

What tyres is yours on?
>>
>> What tyres is yours on?
>>

Michelin Pilot Super Sports. They are known for needing a bit of temperature before they work at their best. I note the tyre pressure monitors also show tyre temperature, which is a novelty.
>>
>> Michelin Pilot Super Sports. >>

Many rate the MPSSs. Mines on Bridgestone S001s, I am reassured by runflats, still good after 12k.
>> >>
>> >> Michelin Pilot Super Sports. >>
>>
>> Many rate the MPSSs. Mines on Bridgestone S001s, I am reassured by runflats, still good
>> after 12k.

Internet folklore says the runflats were fitted for a period of time due to a shortage of the MPSS tyres that threatened to hold up the production line. How true that is, I don't know.

>>
>> Internet folklore says the runflats were fitted for a period of time due to a shortage of the MPSS tyres that threatened to hold up the production line. How true that is, I don't know.
>>

I guess if the factory ran out of MPSSs they might fit runflats as in lieu of standard spec though as per the current brochure non runflats are standard spec and runflats are a no cost option, a box worth ticking IMHO.

BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - Falkirk Bairn
>>What tyres is yours on?

New ones every 10K probably!
I've just been looking on autotrader and these M1 things seen to be about 24k nearly new. Is this the same car? If it is it seems like excellent value or have I got it spectacularly wrong?
Could be, but you can pick them up new for similar money. Mine with a load of options wasn't a lot more.
>> Could be, but you can pick them up new for similar money. Mine with a
>> load of options wasn't a lot more.
>>

Seems to me you can get a new 3dr manual 140i for £25k ish after discounts - though if you want a 5dr auto with metallic and all of the other bits and pieces you fancy it would in the region of £30k after discount, hence well specced, used 5dr facelift 135 and 140s go for not much less than a new basic 3dr (basic of course is a relative term as they are pretty well specified).
They are, I think, amazing value for money given the spec (even in standard form) and performance. Mines a manual and a convertible, which presumably adds weight, both of which sent fuel economy. Even so it has averaged 27.5 mpg over 8k miles, which includes less than 1k of what I'd call 'long' (>150 mile) motorway journeys. And as we live in West Sussex, near Goodwood and a number of old airfields, the performance has been regularly used :)

The Michelins are being re-fitted next week. At £40 for Event Tyres to swap the wheels round it's hardly worth getting my hands dirty - particularly as I'm likely to damage something along the way!
Given that it's a BM and goes like stink. Why is an M3 so much more dosh? I genuinely don't know.
An M3 does at least have an extra 100bhp and gets to 100mph a couple of seconds quicker for the £20k or so more that it costs. It's the extra 20bhp for £10k+ of the M2 I struggle with!!
The M2/M3/M4 are more hard core with DCTs and LSDs though the 135/140s offer 90% + of the experience at 60-70% of the cost and with the ability to waft when it suits.
There's an LSD option for the M1/2xx models available as dealer fit :)
About £2k I think...

Maybe the hatch / coupe is different, but I struggle to waft in mine... it sounds too good when driven more assertively ;)
>>
>> Maybe the hatch / coupe is different, but I struggle to waft in mine... it
>> sounds too good when driven more assertively ;)
>>

I think that it's an auto g/b and adaptive chassis thing, in comfort mode it wafts nicely.
Ach away ! Ye cannae waft in a wee car !

;-)
Oh it *can* waft; 6th is very tractable, from not much more than 1k rpm because of the torque. It's just it sounds so good when revved ;)

And to Humph's point, I rreckon my petrol manual convertible probably weights more that his diesels estate :O
>> Oh it *can* waft; 6th is very tractable, from not much more than 1k rpm
>> because of the torque. It's just it sounds so good when revved ;)

That is one of the things I love most about it. In comfort mode it's a silky smooth, torquey, effortless cruiser. And an economical one as well. I'm getting some daft (high 30s) readings on the computer on a motorway run, although equally daft (low teens) when enjoying myself.

With regard to the price comparison with the proper M cars, this is very much an "M-Lite", rather than a full fat M car. Having pushed on a bit now, the suspension isn't exactly composed on a bumpy B-road, and the lack of LSD can significantly affect traction in slippery conditions. I have no doubt a Focus RS or Golf R would leave it standing on a poorly surfaced B-road, particularly if there were more than a sniff of damp on the surface. But to me the 140i feels good even bimbling to the shops. It doesn't need to be in maximum attack mode to feel fast and smooth and somehow special. I never got that from the Focus or the Golf.

It's a nice combination of M-car performance and noise, with "normal" BMW creature comforts and daily usability. At 70 mph on a motorway, it's turning over at 1800 RPM, and the loudest noise is from the tyres. Yet the classic BMW six cylinder howl at high revs is present and correct, and there to be enjoyed whenever you feel like it.
>> I have no doubt a Focus RS or Golf R would leave it standing on a poorly surfaced B >>
>> It doesn't need to be in maximum attack mode to feel fast and smooth and somehow special. I never got that from the Focus or the Golf.
>>

Have you also had a Focus RS and Golf R?

I was thinking about this yesterday, did a 240 mile round trip on a mix of roads, it's really more of a GT than hot hatch, great at consuming long distances, it can overtake for a living and make long straights a blur, though is also fun to hustle along country lanes.
>>
>> Have you also had a Focus RS and Golf R?
>>
No, but I've driven both. They are ridiculously capable.
>> Focus RS and Golf R >>
>> They are ridiculously capable. >>

Agreed, likewise an S3, RS3 and A45, though the BMW is a different approach, with a different range of attributes and loads of character, an experience every time you drive it, even backing it out of the drive, though also comfortable to do 500 miles in a day ...
>>
>> Agreed, likewise an S3, RS3 and A45, though the BMW is a different approach, with
>> a different range of attributes and loads of character, an experience every time you drive
>> it, even backing it out of the drive, though also comfortable to do 500 miles
>> in a day ...
>>

Precisely. It's much more appealing for real world road use than a more focused M car. The trade off is that as soon as you push on hard on a bumpy B-road, the cost cutting that BMW employed to provide such crazy power for the money, in the suspension and the diff, become apparent. That said, if they addressed this, the car wouldn't cost what it does.=, and for 95% of driving, it wouldn't really give any measurable improvement. If I keep the car long term, which at the moment I am planning to, I will source and fit an LSD to it myself once out of warranty.

Interesting you use the word character, because I've thought the same thing. It's quite unusual for a modern car, but there is something endearing, and almost loveable about it.

Oh and over my 180 mostly motorway miles today,but with 2 miles of M25 tailbacks, and a cross country blast in Sport mode, I averaged 38.7 mpg. Ridiculous for the performance available. My 2 litre mk1 Focus never bettered 33 mpg.
Though it's difficult to compare driving styles, your 180 miles seem pretty similar in mix to my trip to nottingham, indicating that the auto *is* more economical. I'm back on summer wheels / tyres now, so if nothing else the handling will be improved :)
>> Though it's difficult to compare driving styles, your 180 miles seem pretty similar in mix
>> to my trip to nottingham, indicating that the auto *is* more economical. I'm back on
>> summer wheels / tyres now, so if nothing else the handling will be improved :)

The official figures suggest the auto is both lower CO2 (to the point where it is a bracket lower on VED), and more economical. It seems to promote a very relaxed driving style in Comfort mode, short shifting at about 1800 RPM.

I liked the idea of a manual, but so much of my driving now is in traffic / rush hour, and the ZF box is really good.

I am fully resigned to the fact I am going nowhere if it snows :-)
>>
>> Precisely. It's much more appealing for real world road use than a more focused M
>> car. The trade off is that as soon as you push on hard on a
>> bumpy B-road, the cost cutting that BMW employed to provide such crazy power for the
>> money, in the suspension and the diff, become apparent. >>
>>

The suspension is actually quite sophisticated, as is the ESP and TC and electronic adjustability, even the brakes compare favourably, it's only really the diff versus the M2/3/4 and the lack of AWD versus the aforementioned VAG/MBs. EDIT: And Fords ...
Last edited by: Cheddar on Mon 27 Mar 17 at 20:56
>> The suspension is actually quite sophisticated, as is the ESP and TC and electronic adjustability,
>> even the brakes compare favourably, it's only really the diff versus the M2/3/4 and the
>> lack of AWD versus the aforementioned VAG/MBs. EDIT: And Fords ...

Although I haven't driven an M2, I have had a fast passenger ride in a mate's M4, and the M4 is much more composed over rough roads when pushing on. It feels planted and stable where the M140i feels nervous. But when you consider the significant price difference, this is to be expected. Performance, in terms of the butt-dyno at least, isn't much different.

I love the car, and am really happy with it, but you can tell the difference between this "M lite" and the full fat M car. In many ways, for road use, it's actually the better package, and many feel the current generation of M-cars don't do the whole driver thing as well as previous versions, so perhaps it's a smaller compromise than it might have been against the M cars of a generation ago.
Last edited by: DP on Mon 27 Mar 17 at 21:16
>> M4 is much more composed over rough roads when pushing on.
>> It feels planted and stable where the M140i feels nervous.
>>

Perhaps it's the driver? ;-)
Seriously, as PeterS has said the M cars are much more involving, require more commitment more of the time though on the odd occasion offer thay very little extra reward.
Last edited by: Cheddar on Mon 27 Mar 17 at 22:03
>> >> M4 is much more composed over rough roads when pushing on.
>> >> It feels planted and stable where the M140i feels nervous.
>> >>
>>
>> Perhaps it's the driver? ;-)
>>

:-)

I suspect it's comparing a £36k (list) car with a £60k (list) one

The M2 and M240i/140i are very different cars also.
>> I suspect it's comparing a £36k (list) car with a £60k (list) one
>>

Frankly it's not cost cutting on the 135/235/140/240, rather it's high margins on the M cars.

Of course previous straight six M3s used bespoke engines and the last generation E90 M3 used a bespoke V8, based on the M5 V10 though unique to the M3, where as the current M3/M4 S55 engine is a development of the -35i N55 so despite LSDs etc they will surely be closer to the 340i/440i in production cost terms than an M3 V8 was to the 335i of the day. The 1M used a development of the E82/E88 135i N54 and in the same way the M2 uses the N55 today. Accordingly the difference in production cost of an M2, M3 or M4 relative to today's M1xxi/M2xxi/3xxi/4xxi will be much less in % terms than the difference in list price.

So the current M cars offer BMW great margins, it really is fantastic marketing! It makes them a load of money and inspires the masses to buy "lesser" BMWs.
>> >> I suspect it's comparing a £36k (list) car with a £60k (list) one
>> >>
>>
>> Frankly it's not cost cutting on the 135/235/140/240, rather it's high margins on the M
>> cars.

That depends on your point of view. If you have two similar cars, one more expensive and one cheaper, is the cheaper one a cut down version of the more expensive one, or is the more expensive one a more profitable and elaborate version of the cheaper one? It is fair to say though that the M2 has far more expensive and better quality suspension, diff and brakes compared to the M140/240, or that the M140/240 has a number of cost cutting measures compared to the M2. The M140 sits somewhere between the M Sport trim level and the "full" M car. And I think it is the performance bargain of the time, but it isn't an M car. Don't get me wrong, for what I need it for 99.9% of the time, that is a great thing.

I don't doubt the profit margin on the M cars is higher. That holds true for the 140/240 vs the 116i/116d as well. But there is a lot more to the 'true' M model than a posh diff. Very few suspension or braking components are interchangeable. There's extensive use of forged aluminium for the suspension arms, hub carriers, anti roll bars and struts to reduce unsprung weight. The brake calipers and discs are different, the ZF torque converter auto is ditched for a dual clutch unit, the aforementioned LSD is different, and the dampers are of higher grade/quality and calibrated differently.

I haven't compared an M2, but I suspect (and all the reviews seem to confirm) that the true M car is a step up from the M-Lite in terms of dynamic ability. Would most people notice it in daily driving? Possibly not. Would you expect a car costing £30k to be as good as a similar one costing £50k? Of course not. I'm not taking anything away from the M140 - I absolutely love the car.

>>
>> That depends on your point of view. If you have two similar cars, one more
>> expensive and one cheaper, is the cheaper one a cut down version of the more
>> expensive one, or is the more expensive one a more profitable and elaborate version of
>> the cheaper one?
>>

Most definitely the latter. Ford don't develop a Focus RS, or even ST, and cost cut it back to make a 1.6 Zetec and BMW most definitely don't use, say, an M3 as a starting point for a 320i.
To add to the above, take a 2-Series, an M-Sport is a more sophisticated and profitable version of an SE, an M240i is a more sophisticated and profitable version of the M-Sport and the M2 is a more sophisticated and profitable version of the M240i. Niche marketing, moving into smaller though more profitable niches at each level.
>> it sounds too good when driven more assertively ;)

I had mine on full throttle through the Holmesdale Tunnel on the M25 earlier. I think the noise bears comparison with anything short of a supercar on sale today.

Proper old school BMW straight six metallic howl. Gorgeous noise.
Wafting through auto trader is strikes me that M3's come in many power guises, so I'm still alarmed at the cost difference. I'm also still struggling with this M140 thing with sooooooooooo much grunt for 23-24k nearly new.

I might just trade in the 1995 Pajero for one. :-)

Keep the posts coming, especially the acceleration figures.
Just gone through 2,000 miles, so thought I'd post a few more thoughts.

The car continues to impress, and the novelty of the ridiculous acceleration still hasn't worn off. I love the reaction it provokes from passengers as well. Without exception, every single one of them has either sworn or laughed out loud the first time I've floored the throttle.

Even with a bit of familiarity, the sheer amount of performance in the mid-range is still occasionally a surprise. To give you an example, I found myself stuck behind a horsebox on a local B-road. There were two cars between me and the horsebox, none of which seemed interested in overtaking. When the opportunity presented itself, I went to overtake the first of the cars, and found myself able to do both cars and the horsebox in one swift, safe manouevre. The pull from 40-80 mph is bordering on savage.

Traction in the dry on Pilot Super Sports is excellent as well, the car well able to stand full throttle from low speeds even on bumpy roads without feeling too squirmy. In the wet, it's a different kettle of fish. You don't need to be clumsy at all to have the traction control earning its keep, and with the systems off, it is bordering on frightening. The numb steering is still the car's absolute worst feature, and it just doesn't give me enough confidence to feel what the car is doing. It's a shame that such a driver focused car with such incredible performance should deny you such a major bit of feedback, but that's modern cars I guess. I'm sure familiarity will resolve this to some degree, and I am taking my time, as the last thing I want to do is prang it. Or replace a £350 pair of tyres every 5,000 miles.

The adaptive dampers do a good job up to about eight tenths effort, but do start to lose their composure on demanding surfaces when you really push on. Again I come back to my point that this isn't a full fat M-car, and clearly lacks the quality of suspension of those cars (the M2 has almost everything between the chassis and road upgraded over the M240i). But eight tenths in this is enough to lose your license several times over, and this is significantly cheaper than an n M-car. There is no M1, but the M2 is almost twice the price of the M240i. It should be better. For road use, and as a package, the M140i/240i are incredible value for money, and really you have to be driving like a bit of a tool to reach its limits on the public road. The problem is that engine makes it so easy and tempting...

I'm starting to get an idea of running costs as well, and for a car of this performance they are really quite impressive. I've finally got myself organised and put all my fuel receipts and mileage records into a spreadsheet. Over 1921 miles (the last time I filled the tank), it has averaged a genuine 29.4 mpg, with the worst tank average being 27.2 mpg, and the best (almost all motorway, fully warmed), 37.2 mpg. In that mix is a lot of motorway use, but a few good cross country blasts as well. I don't drive it consciously for economy, and I certainly explore the rev range on a fairly frequent basis. I don't doubt in a touring scenario, driving gently you could coax 40 mpg out of it without a great deal of effort.

Despite the better than expected economy, the tank's relatively tiddly 52 litre capacity does hurt range. The gauge isn't linear in its descent, and after sitting on full for about 40 miles, will drop very slowly until just under 1/2 way, when it then plummets. The low fuel warning comes on with a quarter tank still showing on the gauge, and at that point you have about 40 miles left depending on what you are doing. Looking back through my fuel records, I'm filling up somewhere around 300-320 miles most of the time, and it's generally costing me £50-£55 a time. That said, coming from diesels that would do 500-600 miles on a tank, it's a bit of a culture shock.

Based on current driving, it's going to need its first service somewhere around the 19,000 mile mark according to the OBC. According to the electronic oil readout (no dipstick here), it's not used any oil so far either. I was pretty disciplined with the running-in, taking it easy, but not "babying" the car, and allowing a few short bursts of acceleration, but keeping the revs down. Hopefully this has stood it in good stead.

I've been playing with the Connected stuff that comes with the car. I've installed a mobile app which allows me to track the car, see all the service data, mileage, tank level and range, flash its headlights, lock and unlock it, and turn the climate control on and off. Gimmicky, but fun, and a big tick in the box for my inner geek. It will also access your calendar on your phone, pull the addresses from any meetings you have scheduled, and allow you to download them to the car's sat nav with just a couple of clicks. When you get in the car, the sat nav instructions are waiting as an inbox message. Two clicks on the iDrive and the sat nav is programmed and ready. Clever stuff!

The car also came with a free subscription to Napster or Deezer streaming services which allow you to access the cloud service from the car and stream or download music directly to the hard drive in the car, as well as sync playlists with your phone. I activated Napster, and it works well.

It has been totally fault free so far if you ignore one crash of the sat nav, during which the map stopped scrolling and the car simply drove off it and disappeared. Coming out of the map, going back to the menu, and then going back in to the map again fixed it. I have to say the car does feel like a quality bit of kit, and I get the sense from the way it feels and drives that it is going to stand up to hard use quite well. The B58 engine is a bit unproven at this point, but serious issues seem pretty rare. The ZF8 box has earned a reputation for being tough as old boots, with the only failures I've seen being linked to remaps that push it beyond its rated torque capabilities. Time will tell, however.

In terms of practicality, our family of four fit fine. Fifth seat space is compromised by the transmission tunnel, but that's not a concern for us. The boot is a good size and the seats fold for more space. I invested in a custom boot liner, as we do occasionally remove the parcel shelf and put a dog in. This has kept the carpet looking like new, has a little flap to protect the bumper from damage by the dog, or heavy loads going in and out, and the whole thing and can be removed and washed if needed.

A fast, practical, reliable (so far) car that's good to drive doesn't appear cost a fortune to run, and that I am really enjoying driving. I think this one is a keeper if it stays like this.
Last edited by: DP on Fri 7 Apr 17 at 10:25
 BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - smokie
Thanks for the detailed review DP :-)
Very interesting and largely echos my experience with the M135, I don't think I have as strong feelings regarding the steering, perhaps it's not as full of directly connected, lightly assisted feel as our old E87 120i though once used to it you can place it on apexes etc with ease. the MPSS tyres are well thought of though mine is on S001s and they seem grippy and long lasting.

I seem to be doing a little better overall economy wise despite the N55 being a little less economical on paper, though yours may loosen up still.

The modular B38/48/58 and the related diesel B37/47/57 are perhaps relatively unproven though I have not heard of any issues at all. They are quite interesting in that diesels and petrols share components, all using 500cc cylinders of the same bore and stroke, the cam drive is at the back of the engine kind of above the bell housing, this make all three (3,4 & 6 cyl) broadly the same in layout with a different number of cylinders projecting forwards. This pushes the weight slightly further forward compared with the N55. Apparently in some applications the B57/B58 can store heat for up to 36 hours helping emissions and providing instant cabin heat.

Re the ZF 8AT, a whine in 2nd and reverse has been reported though is not common, apparently BMW dealers will only attend to it if it gets to a certain severity.

Mine has the brushed aluminium with high gloss black inserts interior trim and I find it a particularly nice place to be, the only M-Sport blue is on the key inserts (blue on M & M-Sport, red on Sport, silver on SE etc) and of course the brake callipers ...

I too went for the high gloss black finisher, but with the hexagon trim as I liked the texture of it. I do like the gloss black though, even if it does show the dust and fingerprints.

It's becoming clear that jacking the car is a must in order to be able to clean the wheels and those lovely painted brake calipers properly, at which point it's probably easiest to actually remove them in turn and have full access to everything. I have never had a car that needs clean calipers to look its best before :-)

Steering is a personal beef of mine on all modern cars. I had a Puma as a track car until recently, and the difference in feel and connection between that and anything modern I've driven was night and day. The BMW isn't any worse than any other modern car, but disappointingly it isn't really any better either. There's only so much you can do with ePAS, I guess.

Brilliant car overall though. Loving it.
>> I too went for the high gloss black finisher, but with the hexagon trim as
>> I liked the texture of it. >>

TBH I preferred the hexagon trim on the E87 M-Sports, though had brushed alu on my 123d, however I am not so keen on the way the hex looks and feels on the -35/-40.

>> It's becoming clear that jacking the car is a must in order to be able
>> to clean the wheels and those lovely painted brake calipers properly, >>

I find that a squirt of Muck-Off 5 mins before washing and the use of a toothbrush does the job more than adequately. And the chances of the spokes being in the same place from one clean to another is unlikely so if there is an inaccessible bit it will only be missed once.

Last edited by: Hard Cheese on Fri 7 Apr 17 at 19:37
>> It's becoming clear that jacking the car is a must in order to be able to clean the wheels

Can you not clean them a bit... and then move the car/wheels a bit?

Brake callipers still going to be a problem I know.
>>
>> Can you not clean them a bit... and then move the car/wheels a bit?
>>

Yes of course, on a flat surface you can leave in neutral/handbrake off and roll it forward occasionally so as to access each calliper fully through the wheels.
>> Yes of course, on a flat surface you can leave in neutral/handbrake off and roll it forward

You can move forward and rotate the wheels on an incline too. But you know that.
 BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - No FM2R
Clean wheels? I thought that was what puddles were for.
Have you seen the updated 1-Series DP?

www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0270407EN/the-new-bmw-1-series

juicelp-dev.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/1494521613292-lx311wnwtvr-974b4f573de2c5004325f6aabfd39795/JGB42237+BMW+1S+3+%26+5+Door+F21_F20+LCI+PT.pdf

There is a new Shadow Edition range that includes the 140i, features black grills, black wheels etc and a few more standard features (though not the obvious ones like heated seats and elec folding mirrors). Looks a bit to boy racer ish if you ask me.

The dash is a little different in the updated 1er, as you will know the 1-Series was facelifted in early 2015 (LCi in BMW speak) and the 2-Series and M2 are being LCi'd from Jul '17 production to bring them in line with the 1er in respect of LED headlights etc; and this update to the 1er aligns it with the 2er LCi in respect of the new dash, also there are a few new body colours and one new trim colour, "Cognac".
>> There is a new Shadow Edition range that includes the 140i, features black grills, black
>> wheels etc and a few more standard features (though not the obvious ones like heated
>> seats and elec folding mirrors). Looks a bit to boy racer ish if you ask
>> me.

Interesting, cheers. Yeah, I'd heard about it but not seen it in any detail.

The black grille on the Shadow Edition is one of the few mods I'm seriously thinking about doing to mine. I think it sets the car off really well. You can get them for about £60, although fitting looks to be quite fiddly. I will get around to it at some point, I think. But I know what you mean, the subtlety of the current model is definitely part of its appeal.

Looks to be detail changes otherwise, and thankfully nothing that makes me wish I had waited for a few months. The instruments are different, the shape of the trim panel on the passenger side dash has changed, and there are a few new bits on the Connected Drive side such as Amazon Echo, but nothing earth shattering. I will confess to being a huge fan of the Connected Drive app, particularly the way it allows me to send destinations to the sat nav from the app, either through a postcode / address look up, or an upcoming diary entry. It's cool, and genuinely useful tech.

Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 17 May 17 at 01:48
>>
>> The black grille on the Shadow Edition is one of the few mods I'm seriously
>> thinking about doing to mine. I think it sets the car off really well. >>

Really, to be frank I don't like it at all, I much prefer the chrome surround.

>>and thankfully nothing that makes me wish I had waited for a few months>>

As I recall you have coral leather, that's been discontinued it seems so you are better off with what you have got and the new connected features can probably be coded if you are really interested.
>> As I recall you have coral leather, that's been discontinued it seems so you are better off with
>> what you have got and the new connected features can probably be coded if you are really interested.

While not to everyone's taste, for me the coral really makes the interior feel special, and I'm gld I was able to spec it before it disappeared. As for the connected stuff, I don't really care about Amazon Echo or enhanced Apple device connectivity as I don't use either. I am happy to stick to the app/nav stuff and the integrated Napster support, both of which work well as they are.

One (unrelated) question I've been meaning to ask you - do you use Super Unleaded in your M135i or standard 95 RON? I've been using standard stuff, quite happily (dealer recommended it), but some of the people on the forums are saying it "costs" up to 20 bhp and a fair few mpg, and that all the figures quoted from BMW are on 98 RON, with 95 RON being very much a "minimum spec". Others say it's irrelevant unless the car is mapped (mine isn't and is never going to be). Dealer also said there was no need at all to use the posh stuff. I've been amazed by the performance as it is, but seems a shame to be restricting the car for the sake of a couple of quid per tankful.

I'm now in the process of running my tank down low (aiming for single digit range) and filling it with V-Power for a few tanks to see if I notice any difference in performance or economy, but what are your thoughts/experiences? I know you have the N55 vs the B58, but both are in a similar state of tune.

Cheers
DP
FWIW, I alway use Shell V Power. Shell because it's the most convenient station, and V Power because it's always got double, and sometime 6 times, the points ;)
>> FWIW, I alway use Shell V Power. Shell because it's the most convenient station, and
>> V Power because it's always got double, and sometime 6 times, the points ;)
>>

One advantage of BP is Nectar points, I'm always getting double points etc vouchers and together with Sainsbury's triple points offers etc we rack up a good few quid on Nectar in no time ...
Can't be bothered with any points , nectar, Tesco, or whatever always decline. Not worth the hassle.
 BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - Clk Sec
>>Not worth the hassle.

I think Mrs CS had accumulated about £90 on her Nectar card around the end of last year when she cashed it in, and her last Sainsbury bill shows a modest £23 since than.

It does accumulate rather slowly, as most of her shopping is done elsewhere.

But where's the hassle?
Having a multiplicity of cards in your wallet and cashing the things in. I just go where stuff is cheapest or I like shopping. We tend in any case to shop in numerous small stores. Cards tend to lead you to the store that give you points regardless of price or service.
>> Cards tend to lead you to the store that give you points regardless of price or service.

I would think that is most unlikely.
"I would think that is most unlikely."

I wonder why stores offer them then and call them "loyalty cards" ?
>> I wonder why stores offer them then and call them "loyalty cards" ?

It seems that shoppers have a lot more common sense than you give them credit for. No point in turning down a bit of free cash, surely.
With my '04 330 I tried to fill with Shell V Power whenever possible. It could well have been a waste of money, but my ex BMW learned mechanic friend suggested it helped keep the injection system clean and improved the power output, although the latter was not the reason for it. I bought it at 6yo and sold it to a family member when it was 12yo.
Given my low annual mileage, it didn't really cost that much more in the scheme of things ( depreciation, insurance, servicing) and I still use VPower in my '11 plate 141k mile 1.6 diesel Focus. Currently showing 64.7mpg on the screen despite a sound thrashing up n down the A65 these past few weeks. Probably high 50s in real terms.
The EMW light has been illuminated for the past month or so but it currently seems to be going better than ever! Just watch now.....
Last edited by: legacylad on Wed 17 May 17 at 17:10
>> Can't be bothered with any points , nectar, Tesco, or whatever always decline. Not worth
>> the hassle.
>>

I have three loyalty cards; Waitrose for the free papers, BA for (occasionally) an upgrade and Shell because it's done through their app and and the points turn into Avios. But in general I agree with your position!!
I have always used super unleaded (preferably V-Power though our local garage is BP so Ultimate is the usual fill) except on the odd occasion where it was unavailable or was IIRC 30p/ltr more than 95 RON at a services and I figured that I am not going to notice the difference over 200+ miles of motorway. I would always use a premium brand, Shell 95 is apparently supposed to be the best with detergents etc.

Some use Tesco 99 though it uses Ethanol which I am not so sure about (as does V-Power Nitro + though I guess I trust Shell a little more and V-Power has the other additives).

I have not measured the economy on both 95 and 98 RON fuel though it makes sense that an electronically controlled petrol engine can benefit from higher octane and the anti knock properties, i.e it should be able to run a little more advanced, higher boost etc, more optimised.
I've just filled up with V-Power for the second time, and the first thing I've noticed is a jump in fuel economy from 29.4 mpg on my last tankful (about where it's been hovering) to 33 mpg on this one. 10% seems quite staggering to me, but one tankful isn't enough to say if this is a usage anomaly, or something more concrete.

The fuel reserve warning came on at 320 miles, which is consistent with the calculation, as it's normally around the 290 mark, so again a 10% increase. I've only seen >300 miles to reserve once and that was a freak 37 mpg tankful, explained by the car doing a 400 mile motoway trip that day, so no urban or hard use at all. Based on the numbers I saw on the computer (I've never reset the overall computer and it is only 0.5 mpg out against the brim-to-brim calculations over 3,700 miles, so very accurate), this is now a 40 mpg door-to-door capable car, which it has never been since I've had it.

The car is running better as well. There's a sharper edge to the throttle response which is not my imagination, and it seems keener to rev than it did before.

One tankful isn't enough to draw any firm conclusions, but the early signs are encouraging. I will carry on with this and see what happens.
>> I've just filled up with V-Power for the second time,>>

I usually use Ultimate because the local garage is BP though filled up with normal BP last week and then V-Power in Surrey on Wednesday and during my mainly cross country journey back (the M3 was closed so A30 through Camberley, M3 Fleet to A303, A303 to Stonehenge and then across Salisbury plain etc) it did seem to sip fuel, the average MPG was going up compared to the outward journey earlier in the day.

I had a company Vectra V6 about 18/19 years ago that averaged about 28mpg until I put V-Power (or whatever its forerunner was) in it and it did well over 30, that convinced me re premium fuels.
On the other hand... I quite like having cars that are inherently pretty easy on fuel so I don't have to think about that too much. I'd not want to be bothered with trying to be light footed all the time.
Or knowing that when you buy a car then whatever the mpg is it isn't an issue. Depreciation is the largest cost for most private owners
My Focus diseasal is currently showing 64mpg on the computer thingy, and no matter how hard I try it doesn't drop below the low fifties.
I'm away cross county to near Whitby the next few days. No rush to get there and I expect mpg to be pushing 70.
In a way I'll be sad to let it go in a few months. But I'll get over it.
You could swing into Goathland when you're that way where they filmed Heartbeat if you felt inclined. I did once. Bits of it like the garage for example are still kept looking as they were portrayed. Mildly interesting for a short while. You could have a pint in the "Aidensfield Arms" but disappointingly, Greengrass no longer goes in. ;-)
 BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - Zero
>> You could swing into Goathland when you're that way where they filmed Heartbeat if you
>> felt inclined. I did once. Bits of it like the garage for example are still
>> kept looking as they were portrayed. Mildly interesting for a short while. You could have
>> a pint in the "Aidensfield Arms" but disappointingly, Greengrass no longer goes in. ;-)

Or you could diss Runfers homage to soap TV (now we know what he does at home when he is not falling off the bike) and hop onto the North Yorks Moor railway, and grab a steam train to Whitby
I liked the vehicles in Heartbeat mainly. ( he admits car nerdily)

We've got a little something going on in our local town today. Called the "Weaver Wander". Sort of car rally for mildly interesting vehicles. Went into town to see the start this morning. They're off to Oswestry later I gather. Google it if you're interested. Some nice cars.
We are staying at the 3 adjacent Ashfield Cottages, Lockton. Our group, Lakeland LDWA together with W Yorks Group, are running checkpoint 14, which is 85 miles into the annual 100 mile event. Checkpoint opens to walkers & runners at 05:00 Sunday, closing at 02:30 Monday. I hope to have cleared away and be in bed by 04:00!
I expect the attrition rate to be high amongst the 500 starters... hard underfoot conditions, high temps and humidity. We have medics in attendance and I expect to dress my fair share of badly abused feet.
Then a few days walking in that part of the world... home Thurday then off to the Lakes on a 'press freebie' Friday night.
Have a nice weekend one & all
The car passed 10,000 miles over the Christmas break, and I just wanted to share my thoughts on the car with a bit more familiarity and 9 months of near daily use behind me.

My feelings towards the car are almost (if not quite all) positive, and it has been, and continues to be, an absolute joy to use as a daily driver. Although the experience is dominated to an extent by the engine and performance, the thing that still impresses me the most is the way that such a quick car can be so easy and relaxing to drive sensibly, never feeling like it is "straining at the leash", or egging you on to go quicker. Even the most inexperienced and least confident driver could drive this around town all day in Comfort mode and never once feel intimidated by it. The subtle styling also lets it slip under the radar in a way that a Focus RS or even a Golf R doesn't. I still don't think it even registers with most other drivers, which is fine by me. Although not complacent, I definitely sleep easier leaving this car unattended, than I would with either of the two above.

The B58 engine topped the 2017 Wards Best Engines list, and it's easy to see why. It's so responsive that you almost forget it's turbocharged, and 500 Nm of torque from 1500 RPM makes for completely effortless progress under any operating conditions. Yet despite the crazy performance, I have seen as high as 43 mpg on a long motorway run in light traffic. My average is just under 29 mpg in mixed use, and I don't drive for economy. There's no conventional dipstick, but according to the iDrive menu, it hasn't used any oil. The only fluids I've added are fuel and screen wash. Kit is good too, particularly the Harman Kardon stereo and the Connected functionality on the iDrive. Being able to link the Connected mobile app to your diary, and have it automatically send nav destinations for upcoming meetings to the car, is a genuinely useful thing.

As a family of four, we do all fit in it, although my eldest daughter is 5ft 10 and can't sit behind me (6ft 1) comfortably when I'm driving. The boot is a decent size, and will accommodate our collie-x, cockapoo and cocker spaniel for short trips. The seats fold flat for the occasional tip run, or more demanding load carrying mission. The Custom Covers load liner is still doing excellent service, and has protected the boot (and seat backs) brilliantly from the dogs, and other stuff that's ended up in the back of the car.

As a driver's car, that brilliant engine provides all the performance you can reasonably legally use on the public road in the UK, and the ZF 8 speed auto does its thing superbly in full auto mode. I tend to switch to the paddles when having fun in the lanes, as I find the Sport mode on the auto box holds on to the gears sometimes when I don't necessarily want it to. Also when I'm pressing on, having manual choice of gear selection feels like an essential element of control that I feel uncomfortable handing over to the car. The paddles themselves are well placed, feel good, and respond well.

10,000 miles of use has only reinforced my view that the car is crying out for some better suspension and a proper LSD, the absence of both of which can have a serious impact on the enjoyment you are able to get from it on a typical wet, British B-road. In dry weather, on smooth roads, where the dampers don't really have to do any work, and the mechanical grip from the tyres is at its strongest, it's absolutely brilliant. Traction is superb, and the car feels composed and sure footed. Yes you can break traction, but you have to consciously do it, and drive like a bit of an idiot, quite honestly.

However, throw damp weather, poor surfaces, or especially both together into the mix, and the combination of the open diff and poor damping mean traction really suffers under even remotely enthusiastic use. It wouldn't be so bad if this resulted in traditional RWD tail happiness, but most of the time it's just untidy, spinning up individual wheels, or shifting power seemingly randomly across the axle which gives a bizarre squirming sensation almost like rear wheel torque steer. You can understand BMW omitting the diff and fitting cheaper suspension to differentiate these "M-Lites" from the "proper" M-cars, but the limitations these impose are all too obvious as soon as you start trying to drive the car enthusiastically. Does it bother me enough to hand Birds a cheque for £4k for the Quaife diff and B series suspension kit that reportedly transform the car? Not in the context of what I need the car for, and not given other financial priorities at the moment, but the temptation is there sometimes just because it really does limit the real world performance of the car in certain instances.

I don't think it's going to be an expensive car to run. It's averaging just under 29 mpg which is exceptional for the performance. The first service is going to be at around the 18,000 mile mark according to the OBC, which again seems very reasonable for the type of car. It's a little frustrating that it renders the ROI of the the 3 year /36k service plan unclear (the second service timing will be critical), but it's another example of how undemanding the car is to live with. Despite some hard use, the rear Michelins are barely half worn, and the fronts probably a third worn, although they are feathering a little on the shoulders which is a characteristic of these tyres apparently.

Reliability has been good. There's an odd whistle/whine from what sounds like the transmission, which seems to come and go, and I will ask them to look at at the first service. The brakes have squealed in reverse at low speeds, such as when reverse parking or manoeuvring, from new, and they still do this occasionally. The front suspension is also a bit noisy in Sport mode, but not glaringly so - again it can wait until the service. Otherwise, it's been brilliant. Still tight and rattle free as well. It feels very well put together, and mechanically robust, and has given me no indication (touch wood) that it is going to do anything other than provide years of reliable service. I will be interested to see how the dealer's after-sales service matches their excellent sales service as time goes on.

As a practical daily driver with good kit, comfort, practicality and storming performance, it is everything I expected and more. The model has recently gone through the BMW LCI update process and there is now an updated 'Shadow Edition' model with better standard kit and some unique styling features, making it even more attractive. For sheer bang-for-buck, there isn't much out there to touch these at the moment, and they really do make a fantastic daily driver.
Last edited by: DP on Tue 2 Jan 18 at 13:07
I love my (admittedly older, less practical and slightly less power) convertible. It’s a very cheap car to run - mines on 18k miles and doesn’t want serving for another 3,400. Rear tyres are down to 3mm, but I’ve switched to winter wheels / tyres and will replace the rears in the spring. I got a puncture in a front tyre at 12k miles, so replaced both. It’s averaging 27.5 mpg - older engine and manual transmission compared to yours. Plus heavier I imagine. Not unhappy with that, and mid to high 30s on long journeys means the range is okay too.

It’s a very good 8/10ths car - as you say an LSD would help, but I think of more use would be better suspension (springs? Dampers? I’m not expert enough to know, but I reckon dampers...) as it does lose composure when pushed. Nit picking through, as an every day road car it’s great :)
 BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - BiggerBadderDave
"particularly the Harman Kardon"

Best spoonerism of 2018.
>> The model has recently gone through the BMW LCI update process and there is now an updated 'Shadow Edition' model with better standard kit and some unique styling features, making it even more attractive.
>>

Interesting review DP, I would broadly concur from my experience though I don't think it's fair to criticise the chassis as there has to be a difference between these cars and the M cars, and they are after all perhaps more GT than hot hatch, particularly if adaptive and auto, with the ability to entertain on the back roads as well as devour large distances in quieter comfort than the M cars.

I have been vaguely looking as the M135i is coming up for 2.5 years old - though it has only done 17500 miles.

The 1-Series went through the LCI process in early 2015, my July '15 M135i is an LCI, more recently the 2-Series has gone through the LCI process to bring it into line with the 1-Series, in respect of LED headlights etc, as well as some other changes which also feature in a update to the 1-Series, this has been dubbed LCI2 though that's not official BMW speak AFAIAA.

The 2-Series LCI and 1-Series "LCI2" feature an unusual semi LCD dash that I am not sure about. Otherwise the Shadow Edition (1-Series and 2-Series) is simply a collection of options as a kind of pack with the addition of slightly darkened light lenses and different wheels. It's good value as the options would add up to much more than the actual extra cost though I personally don't like the Shadow Edition wheel choices, a very dark grey version of the standard 436m wheel or a planer looking black wheel, particularly as (very strangely) the mirrors are still the same grey as the standard 436m wheels.

I have ruled out any other "hot hatches", I know three people with RS3s which are soooo expensive in comparison, more hard core and yet less involving. I have concluded that a new M140i would offer very little extra over the M135i, even the theoretically slightly better economy does not seem to be realised in use and I love the characteristics of the N55 engine. Also the latest versions (2-Series LCI and 1-Series "LCI2"), as with the LCI 3-Series and 4-Series, have a revised indicator and wiper stalk system, both of which seems retrograde to me, even compared to our old '05 120i. With the new system the indicator stalk does not seem to self-centre, and the auto wipers are activated by pushing the stalk up one position (rather than by a button on the end) so if you flick wipe you turn the auto wipers off in doing so. I plan to drive a car thus fitted for an extended drive to see if I get used to it.

If I did change it may be for a 3-Series Touring, and if so probably a 340i M-Sport (B58 engine) though I would not rule out a 330i with the 252bhp 4cyl B48 which frankly has more than enough performance and a very free revving nature. The problem is that if I spec a 3-Series to a similar level as my M135i with auto, adaptive suspension, elec folding mirrors, heated seats, adaptive LED headlights, high beam assist (which is brilliant!) etc then it's a helluva lot of money ...
" However, throw damp weather, poor surfaces, or especially both together into the mix, and the combination of the open diff and poor damping mean traction really suffers under even remotely enthusiastic use. It wouldn't be so bad if this resulted in traditional RWD tail happiness, but most of the time it's just untidy, spinning up individual wheels, or shifting power seemingly randomly across the axle which gives a bizarre squirming sensation almost like rear wheel torque steer."

Cough X-Drive Cough

Got 3k miles up on the 540, most of it in this crap weather, most of it driven hard. Its been a rocket on rails.
>>
>> Cough X-Drive Cough
>>
>> Got 3k miles up on the 540, most of it in this crap weather, most
>> of it driven hard. Its been a rocket on rails.
>>

If the one series is like the two, then x-drive would be as much use as a chocolate fire guard. The problem is one of inadequate damping when driven beyond 8/10ths on UK A and B roads, in my experience. But then beyond 8/10ths is generally far too fast for public roads anyway!

Besides, who needs four wheel drive in our temperate climate. Even less rational than winter tyres ;)
>> Besides, who needs four wheel drive in our temperate climate. Even less rational than winter
>> tyres ;)

The Isle of dry roads you mean? No-one needs winter tyres, they do however need good wet weather tyres.

I was distinctly twitchy about shovelling a big long 340 HP behemoth around potholed wet and muddy UK roads. Its been a Gem in adaptive mode, a tad twitchy under braking maybe, but a real eye opener. I can feel the power shift between rear and back, the rear stepped out just a wee bit on a right hander and I felt a brief tug at the wheel as the power moved front to bring it back to plan.

I think tho. when pootling around, Comfort offers more, well, comfort, than adaptive.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 2 Jan 18 at 18:50

>>
>> I think tho. when pootling around, Comfort offers more, well, comfort, than adaptive.
>>

You mean more than Sport?
No, I said, and I mean, its more comfortable in Comfort than Adaptive.
>> No, I said, and I mean, its more comfortable in Comfort than Adaptive.
>>

Adaptive is the system Z, Comfort is one of the settings.
Adaptive is a mode, with a button, as is comfort,
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 2 Jan 18 at 20:20
OK, it's different on the 5 then, I think they call it VDC.
>> OK, it's different on the 5 then, I think they call it VDC.
>>

VDC was touted by the motoring press as a must have option on the previous generation 5 series; I never saw it myelsf, even after driving many thousands of miles in cars with and without it. On that basis I didn’t bother on the two series, and I don’t miss it. Not sure if the same is true on the current 5 though? Pondering what (if) to replace mine with and there’s nothing really. I like it’s RWD, 6 cylinder howl and convertibleness. That means either the same again (no point), something much more expensive (not good value) or keep the current car. So I’m likely to keep it, and spend £500odd on better suspension :) Mind you, we could replace the e-tron with an RS3. If I ordered one in red, would anyone notice? ;)
>> >> OK, it's different on the 5 then, I think they call it VDC.
>> >>
>>
>> VDC was touted by the motoring press as a must have option on the previous
>> generation 5 series; >>

Just been reading about it on the G30/31, there is an Adaptive Drive option at £2770 which includes VDC and VDC alone at £985.

BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - Bromptonaut
>> Besides, who needs four wheel drive in our temperate climate. Even less rational than winter
>> tyres ;)

Relative I met over the festives was asking if FWD was ever a problem towing the caravan.

My answer was; not really. There's an occasional chirrup from front wheels on a hill start and I'd motor move it onto tarmac if necessary to avoid risk of churning up a grass pitch.

Never had to think 'can I do that' before tackling any manoeuvre.

>> I don't think it's
>> fair to criticise the chassis as there has to be a difference between these cars
>> and the M cars, and they are after all perhaps more GT than hot hatch,
>> particularly if adaptive and auto, with the ability to entertain on the back roads as
>> well as devour large distances in quieter comfort than the M cars.

The problem is, if you give any 2WD car 340PS, it's going to both bring the chassis into sharp focus, and set a certain level of expectation. The 1-series chassis itself is very good, but the budget components fitted to these models really do let them down. Like I said, if it just meant the thing was a bit tail happy, I'd enjoy it, but instead it just comes across as inconsistent, flustered, and a bit scrappy. Not without its charm and character, but definitely compromised.

Adaptive is worth having just for the ride quality in Comfort mode, but the vertical jiggling in Sport over anything but a billiard table surface is a disappointment for what is supposed to be an "upgrade". I get they needed to differentiate between the M Lite and M, and of course there's a big difference in ownership costs between the two, but why not charge a bit more for the Adaptive on the M-Lite, and use better components? If I did it again, I'd spec standard suspension, and stick the £500 towards the Birds kit.

>> If I did change it may be for a 3-Series Touring, and if so probably
>> a 340i M-Sport (B58 engine) though I would not rule out a 330i with the
>> 252bhp 4cyl B48 which frankly has more than enough performance and a very free revving
>> nature. The problem is that if I spec a 3-Series to a similar level as
>> my M135i with auto, adaptive suspension, elec folding mirrors, heated seats, adaptive LED headlights, high
>> beam assist (which is brilliant!) etc then it's a helluva lot of money ...

The B48 is a great engine, but seriously lacking sound quality and character compared to the B58 and N55. I think I'd really miss that lovely six cylinder howl now.

The 3-er is a big jump in money. I was seriously considering a 335d, but simply could not justify the cost compared to what I have now. The extra space would be handy, but I'm pleased with my choice. It's not going to be an easy car to replace though. I don't particularly like the way VAG cars drive, and the A45 is a third as much again. The Focus RS and Civic Type R are both too in-yer-face. Guess I'll see what they try and tempt me with in a couple of years time. :-)
>> but why not charge a bit more for the Adaptive on the M-Lite, and
>> use better components? If I did it again, I'd spec standard suspension, and stick the
>> £500 towards the Birds kit.
>>

I'd definitely want adaptive suspension again, IME the standard set up is very like Sport and Comfort offers that ability to waft so adaptive offers the best of both. I reckon I'd rather forgo the auto box than the adaptive suspension though the contrast between Comfort drivetrain + Comfort chassis and Sport drivetrain + Sport chassis, and the various combos in between* is brilliant, take your pick based on your mood, the road, the passengers, the weather etc.

*I would like to be able to choose the Sport throttle map with the Comfort auto box and the Sport steering with the Comfort suspension settings, it can be done by coding though I have not gone down that route.

Frankly I'm pretty happy with the chassis ride/handling/refinement combo and reckon that any RWD car offering more traction would be either less refined, less involving or both.

>> Guess I'll see what they try and tempt me with in a couple of years time. :-)
>>

The only cars that appeal at the mo other that the 1er and 3er* are the C43/C63 estates - big money - perhaps an S4 estate - also big money - (the RS4 is too hard core) and the XE though that's saloon only currently.

*An Alpina B3s Touring would be ideal with the 440bhp N55 though I'd choose the options carefully - and they are even bigger money.

BMW - M140i is here - collection and first impressions - R.P.
What Zero and DP say mainly. The 3 Series is in fine fettle. Although deliberately mot taken out during our 3 day snow siege, the car's all wheel drive ability and low revving six made it an easy drive up and down the 1/4 mile hill to the (clear) main road.

Power is always there in any imaginable scenario but it bimbles along like a little 1300 in town work, the remarkable fuss free transmission makes it totally seamless, immense torque and pure raw BHP is available on demand in a heart-beat, always in the right gear.

Superb driver's car.
Latest Forum Posts