Motoring Discussion > Car Wow Buying / Selling
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 49

Car Wow - CGNorwich
Have been looking at VW Golf SV. And tool,one for a test drive at my local dealers today. Quite impressed by the car and got a quote. List price is £24,230 which includes a few extras. Dealer quoted £20,555.

Checked on CarWow tonight and best quotes are for £18,628 from a dealer in Essex and £18,116 from a dealer in Devon which represents a huge saving.

Can't see any problem in using CarWow - you actually deal directly with the dealer. Anyone use them?

Car Wow - diddy1234
I used them to get a deal when I brought my car.

Car Wow had offers of £700 discount on a new Duster but the dealer couldn't match them.
However, I did get £300 off which covered my Media Nav sound system I opted for.

I guess when I buy budget cars there isn't as much a discount to be had.

I would recommend doing your homework and having the deals from car wow lined up on your phone before doing the deal at the car dealers.
Then when the car sales person is just about to hit you with the price, whip out your phone and say can you match any of these offers.
Last edited by: diddy1234 on Mon 27 Mar 17 at 23:09
 Car Wow - Bill Payer
I used them on a VW. 6 dealers quoted and two of them were my nearest and next nearest dealers. They know how far away you are and it did seem that further away dealers quoted less.

I won't be darkening the doors of my nearest dealer again, so used the cheapest quote to beat up the next nearest dealer and got them close enough that I was happy with the deal.

If I hadn't been able to do that, then it would have meant an awkward train trip to a S Wales dealer. I'd have done it if necessary but based on past issues when buying new cars I really don't fancy the idea of getting one from a long way away.
 Car Wow - Hard Cheese
>> I'd have done it if necessary but based
>> on past issues when buying new cars I really don't fancy the idea of getting
>> one from a long way away.
>>

Though if it has full manufacturer's warranty then it can be taken to any dealer wherever it has been purchased ...
 Car Wow - CGNorwich
Yes that was what I was thinking. Second cheapest quote is only 60 miles away anyway.

If I order a car and put down a depsoit and its a three month wait until delivery will the dealer honour the price if manufacturers raise the book prices?
 Car Wow - Bromptonaut
>> Though if it has full manufacturer's warranty then it can be taken to any dealer
>> wherever it has been purchased ...

True but if there's a major issue such that consumer rights are in play then your remedy is with supplying dealer.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 28 Mar 17 at 08:39
 Car Wow - Crankcase
FWIW, the only time I got quotes from Carwow (about six I think came in) nobody matched up to DriveTheDeal. I expect it's very variable according to model, stock, time of year, targets and so on.

In my case, in the end, I found by other means a dealer who undercut everything I'd found so far, and bought from them over the phone. All went very well.

Car Wow - Zero

Have you tried "drive the deal" for another price comparison?
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 28 Mar 17 at 08:48
 Car Wow - PeterS
I'd second, or third, the drivethedeal reccomendation. A colleague has just bought a Merc and carwow didn't even come close to the DTD price! I've bought 4 cars through them over the years...painless transaction every time!
 Car Wow - Clk Sec
>> Have you tried "drive the deal" for another price comparison?

Although I've not used DtD yet, I've received some competitive quotes from them.
 Car Wow - VxFan
If you haven't used DtD, how did you manage to get some quotes from them?
 Car Wow - Clk Sec
>> If you haven't used DtD, how did you manage to get some quotes from them?

Used for quotes that are readily available, but I haven't yet bought a car through them.
 Car Wow - CGNorwich
Strangely enough to Drive the Deal do not list the Golf SV.
 Car Wow - Clk Sec
Might it be worth asking if they could get an SV for you?
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Tue 28 Mar 17 at 10:13
 Car Wow - Crankcase
Depending on much time/how motivated you are:

www.similarpages.com/alternatives-to/drivethedeal.com
Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 28 Mar 17 at 10:43
 Car Wow - CGNorwich
I could but to be honest the quote from Car Wow look pretty hard to be beat. I have looked at various other VW models where Car Wow and DtD both list that model and CarWow are by far the lowest..

I don't see any advantage in using DtD over CarWow. It really comes down to price and location of the dealer.

Car Wow - mikeyb
>> I don't see any advantage in using DtD over CarWow. It really comes down to
>> price and location of the dealer.
>>

If price is the driver then no harm in asking DTD - you will get the price in one visit to the site so its really no hassle - its not like car wow where you wait for quotes.

I used them back in 2007 and it was really easy - they just brokered the deal then I dealt directly with the dealer - car (A3) delivered on a transporter to the door. Never paid them a penny - all money went direct to the dealership.
 Car Wow - Bill Payer
>> I could but to be honest the quote from Car Wow look pretty hard to
>> be beat. I have looked at various other VW models where Car Wow and DtD
>> both list that model and CarWow are by far the lowest..
>>
On the Tiguan we bought DtD were ~£500 cheaper than the lowest CarWow quote. DtD called me and wouldn't tell me even the approx location of their chosen dealer and wouldn't pass me on them unless I agreed to wait the factory lead-time (12 weeks then).

The localish dealer I chose through CarWow got pretty close to the price in the end (interestingly they said they were a DtD "preferred" dealer too) and had the car on site 8 days after I ordered it.

Don't regard the CarWow quote as fixed - I still negotiated when I got to the dealer to close the gap towards the DtD quote. Another advantage of buying locally - you can keep pressing while you're hovering over the order form with pen in hand! :)
 Car Wow - Bill Payer
>> True but if there's a major issue such that consumer rights are in play then
>> your remedy is with supplying dealer.
>>
That's true, but I was thinking more of cosmetic etc issues.

I've twice refused to take new cars there and then - that would be a bit more of a hassle a long way from home.
 Car Wow - Dave_
>> an awkward train trip to a S Wales dealer.

They will deliver it to you. It's a very streamlined process with a sensible, well-dressed driver who conducts a full handover and explanation of the car's controls, and you can check the car over for faults before signing for it. They generally arrive by trailer if a driven delivery would take the car's recorded mileage into three figures.

The car probably won't even have been to Wales. I deliver brand new cars on a transporter from a large PDI centre in Warwickshire, they're registered everywhere from Leeds to Worcester. Registration to a specific area is nothing more than a paperwork exercise now, but don't get me started on that.
Last edited by: Dave_ on Wed 29 Mar 17 at 22:26
 Car Wow - Zero
>> >> an awkward train trip to a S Wales dealer.
>>
>> They will deliver it to you. It's a very streamlined process with a sensible, well-dressed
>> driver who conducts a full handover and explanation of the car's controls, and you can
>> check the car over for faults before signing for it.

But if you are really unlucky, Dave will turn up.
 Car Wow - tyrednemotional

>> But if you are really unlucky, Dave will turn up.
>>

...and if you are really, really unlucky, Dave won't turn up.....
 Car Wow - Bill Payer
>> They will deliver it to you.

That's routine with leased cars, but I don't think it is with purchased (or PCP) cars through CarWow.

There were different offers from different dealers but I think the S Wales one was they'd pay for a train ticket and pick me up from the station. There was discussion about driven delivery but there was a cost involved and, around reg change date when we got the car, they were talking about a driver not being available for up to a couple of weeks.

I'd be fine with a lease car being driven to me (I know from all the leasing comments on Pistonheads it's very random if they're driven or trailered) but, with the best will in the world, I wouldn't want a car I was going to own being driven on what could be quite a hard journey right up through Wales.
 Car Wow - bathtub tom
>>I wouldn't want a car I was going to own being driven on what could be quite a hard >>journey right up through Wales.

Modern thinking seems to suggest the best way to run-in a new car is to thrash it within the first few miles of its life. Something to do with bedding in the rings.

In my experience. FIL had a brand new Volvo that he wouldn't rev beyond 2K, had the the most horrific piston slap I'd ever heard. My current car was an ex rental that had done 8K in the first few months of its life and hasn't dropped its oil level on the dipstick at all between its first few services.
 Car Wow - Bill Payer
>> Modern thinking seems to suggest the best way to run-in a new car is to
>> thrash it within the first few miles of its life. Something to do with bedding
>> in the rings.
>>
That's something that is suggested for rebuilt engines when they're first run. By the time you get a new car it's considered to be too late - even if it's only done a few miles it'll likely have sat around idling for long periods.

What I was thinking of is stone chips and general road rash damage due to the journey being largely twisty single carriageway A roads.
 Car Wow - PeterS
>> >> They will deliver it to you.
>>
>> That's routine with leased cars, but I don't think it is with purchased (or PCP)
>> cars through CarWow.
>>

DriveTheDeal certainly include delivery, though from memory not all guarantee transported deceiver unless you pay extra. Having said that I never have, and over the last 10 years Audi, BMW, VW and Mercedes have all been delivered on the back of a lorry.
 Car Wow - tyrednemotional
I've bought one car (painlessly and very cheaply) through DTD. It came from a dealer miles away, but I arranged to pick it up on a visit to the (much nearer) MiL's and agreed with the dealer to trade the delivery for a full tank of diesel.

Gave me a chance to check the car out whilst it was still on the forecourt.

SiL subsequently bought through them with a similar painless experience and (driven) delivery to the very wilds of Northumbria.
 Car Wow - Dog
I've only bought two new vehicles o'er the years, a VW Transporter and a Citroen BX.

I asked the local VW dealer down the Ole Kent Road for his best price, then shopped around and found a dealer on the south coast with a better price, went back to dealer in OKR, who then matched that price.

Tried the same with a local Citroen dealer, but he wouldn't play ball, I ended up buying from a dealer in Theydon Bois (Essex to you lot)
 Car Wow - mikeyb
>> Tried the same with a local Citroen dealer, but he wouldn't play ball, I ended
>> up buying from a dealer in Theydon Bois (Essex to you lot)
>>

I had the same with Citroen - had been offered a really good deal on a Picasso over the phone from a dealer in Preston, but thought I would chance my luck in Bath as I was passing - all they were interested in was selling finance and how much a month did I want to spend despite being told it was a cash purchase.

Anyway, they told me the price I had already been quoted was a lie and nobody would sell a new one that low as it was below cost (it was - dealer was very honest and told me they were a few units away from their quarterly bonus so he was letting the last few go below cost as the overall bonus was so big).

I left, and was called by their HQ a week later for a customer survey about my dealership experience - I usually cant be bothered, but on this occasion I made an exception.....
 Car Wow - Roger.

>> Anyway, they told me the price I had already been quoted was a lie and
>> nobody would sell a new one that low as it was below cost (it was
>> - dealer was very honest and told me they were a few units away from
>> their quarterly bonus so he was letting the last few go below cost as the
>> overall bonus was so big).
That rings true. When I was selling new Ladas the target bonus was £300 a car. It was definitely worth selling a couple MORE cheaply (remember, then, it was £3000 OTR for a new Riva 1200), to earn £300 a car on the quarter's sales.
We could make a grand, or so, out of a new Riva. £300 in the car, £300 finance commission, £300 bonus for getting to target, plus a banger to sell to the local "traveller" traders for £100.
Those were the good times - the bad times duly came............................
 Car Wow - Bill Payer
>> Those were the good times -
>>
Well, good for the trade. :)

I remember going to the VW dealer in the local county town for a Polo in the mid-80's - when I tentatively enquired about a discount a hand was gently placed on my elbow and I was guided towards the door. "I don't think we'll be able to do business today, sir", said the salesman.
 Car Wow - CGNorwich
Delivery is not included with CarWow. That is why I am negotiating with a dealer 50 miles distant rather than the one from Plymouth whose offer was £500 lower. The only deliver free in Devon or Cornwall. I think trailer delivery is around £1 per mile so any savings would be lost.

My local dealer has magically been able reduce his price from the "absolutely lowest I can go"price by £900 but is still £500 short of the CarWow dealer although they do have the car I want in stock. I would have to wait 12 weeks for a factory build from the CarWow dealer.

Hope to make a decision today.
 Car Wow - Hard Cheese
>> but is still £500 short of the CarWow dealer although they
>> do have the car I want in stock. I would have to wait 12 weeks
>> for a factory build from the CarWow dealer.
>>

I would weedle out a bit more added value, maybe a full tank of fuel, a set of mats, a touch up paint stick, that kind of thing, and go for the local deal.

Car Wow - mikeyb
Or book a weekend in Devon and pick up at the same time
 Car Wow - CGNorwich
The only other thing I didn't mention is that the local car is not my favourite colour. If I wait I get whatever colour I want.

I dont really see any real advantage in buying a car locally. Like in most fields loyalty now has no meaning. The dealers would have you beleive that they are treating you as a loyal customer and will somehow look after you. Clearly not true. I bought my last car from the same local dealer and have the car serviced there but they were still prepared to treat me a as a gullible pensioner and give me a price thats a £1000 over the odds and at the same time tell me I am are getting a specia deal!

Really cant make up my mind!

Car Wow - No FM2R
£500 more, wrong colour, 3 months earlier; is that the decision?

The colour wouldn't bother me, the 3 months would bother me very much. I'd pay the £500.

I guess it depends on that, how prepared or able you are to live with your current transport for 3 months, and how much driving you are likely to do in that time.
 Car Wow - No FM2R
p.s. I presume that you've already checked option C: Another dealer?
 Car Wow - Hard Cheese
I'd have changed my mind in three months. I'd have the local car now.
 Car Wow - Runfer D'Hills
None of my business of course, but I'm convinced there's always a better deal to be had on cars that dealers actually have in stock. If you're set on that make and model of course, then I guess you have to get after one of those, but if you're open to other models/makes then I'd be sure you could cut a better deal elsewhere.
 Car Wow - R.P.
I was looking at V90s - they were very competitive. My current place of work is on a list of organisations that get a healthy chunk off the list price of a Volvo. I like the V90s
 Car Wow - Zero
There is a very good chance a V90, probably a V90 XC will be on my drive by the time autumn comes. (despite the fact the boot is so small my dog cage wont fit in it)

It depends on what I think of the New 5 Series Touring when I get my hands on it.
 Car Wow - Runfer D'Hills
I quite like the V90 too. Which is a bit of a worry because I hadn't really thought of myself as old enough yet...

;-p
 Car Wow - Bill Payer
>> My current place of work is on a list of organisations that get a healthy chunk off the list price of a Volvo.
>>
Is it genuinely cheaper than other routes? With a teacher, a Civil Servant and an NHS employee in the family I know they're always being offered "special" deals but they never seem any different to what would be generally available. Vauxhall's scheme is ridiculous - just about everybody would qualify somehow!
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Thu 30 Mar 17 at 12:45
 Car Wow - mikeyb
>> Is it genuinely cheaper than other routes? With a teacher, a Civil Servant and an
>> NHS employee in the family I know they're always being offered "special" deals but they
>> never seem any different to what would be generally available. Vauxhall's scheme is ridiculous -
>> just about everybody would qualify somehow!
>>

I used to have access to the VX scheme, but it was laughable. The deals offered were often worse than the local dealer was advertising in the free rags.

The hyundai scheme was OK though - the discounts usually brought brand new models down to somewhere between ex demo and up to 12 month old pricing

The Fiat / Jeep one was OK - they often packaged up a large discount with cheap / subsidised finance - you could get a new Panda for something like £69 a month with just a couple hundred up front or slightly more for a Punto
 Car Wow - Bill Payer
>> None of my business of course, but I'm convinced there's always a better deal to
>> be had on cars that dealers actually have in stock.

I suppose it depends on how many they've got and how easily they think they'll sell them. Many people don't want to wait.

Also how much they paid for it. When we got daughter's Golf we couldn't have the actual car we'd test driven as it was from a batch they'd paid more for. I didn't realise dealers did this, but other daughter had a Mitsubishi Colt and the dealer had bought 30 of them in one hit.
 Car Wow - CGNorwich
"The colour wouldn't bother me, the 3 months would bother me very much. I'd pay the £500."

Left it for a few days and been back to the local dealer today. Managed to get another £165 off so so have gone with them.

Total discount £4,730 off list. Am happy with that.

Car Wow - No FM2R

>> Total discount £4,730 off list. Am happy with that.

I should think you are! Good deal, well done.
 Car Wow - henry k
Hope to make a decision today.

Does this affect your buying decision?

www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/88361/tax-disc-changes-everything-you-need-to-know-about-uk-road-tax
 Car Wow - Roger.
A dealer on the ball!
While browsing Autotrader, or similar, last night - as you do when the soaps are on - I came across a Citroen C4 Picasso auto. (Yes I've read the horror stories, but not ALL the Citroens can be bad).
It was a decent spec and IIRC about four grand. On a link to the dealer's website to look more closely, there was an option to get a valuation on my car, so I completed it. As per usual it required information of me & my contact derails, which I allowed the Dashlane app. to fill in for me.
The dealer was way too far to travel, so it was just idle curiosity, but I received a call on my mobile at about 0930 this morning, following up my enquiry in a polite and non-pushy way.
I explained that the distance was the problem, said it was just a browsing enquiry and apologised for wasting the salesman's time. Graciously received, although I bet gestures were being made at the other end!
Take a bow, Marshall's Citroen of Cambridge.

Car Wow - Runfer D'Hills
I quite like those C4 Picassos. Can't really say why because they are a bit ugly but in a sort of funky way. They look like a fun car as opposed to a dull car. If you see what I mean? Our Dutch friend on here has or has had one I want to think.
Latest Forum Posts