Motoring Discussion > Lubrication Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 17

Lubrication - smokie
My garage door had a minor crisis last week, the screws came out of the beam. More because of the awkwardness and weight than my technical cabbageness , I called out a company to fix it. They did this with coach screws in about 3.5 minutes, for £75, and "gave the door a service". It is sliding up and down like a dream now, which it hasn't done for years.

The service pretty much consisted of spraying something along the tracks and everywhere. I asked if it was WD40 (actually knowing it wouldn't be!) and he said no. I said grease then? He said no, that gums it up. I gave up at that point.

What was his magic stuff, as I want to get some.
 Lubrication - Zero
PTFE spray?
 Lubrication - VxFan
Just about to say the same thing (well, almost)

Dry PTFE Spray Lubricant

Or some other kind of dry lubricant. The main two being graphite and molybdenum disulfide.

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 3 Apr 17 at 08:35
 Lubrication - The Melting Snowman
Usually they use silicone or lithium spray. Good for the hinges, tracks and bearings. Toolstation do a can for about £3.
 Lubrication - smokie
Thanks, at that price I'll invest in some for the toolbox. I have a local Toolstation, generally really good value.
 Lubrication - Bromptonaut
Lots of different sorts of grease. I have a can of 3 in 1 lithium grease which is very light. Quite different to the stuff the workshop use on my caravan's steadies.
 Lubrication - jc2
WD40 now sell a whole range of lubricants including a silicone one that was not in the original spray-I've used their white grease on an "up and down" rolling door and it's excellent.
 Lubrication - smokie
Err - on re-reading I see there are different products.

All available in Toolstation, but I don't want to "invest" in all - just have something "non-greasy" handy so from

Tectane PTFE £2.79
Tectane Silicone £3.18
or WD40 Lithium £6.95

which one would be the best all rounder?
I use part number 21983 Tectane Silicone
 Lubrication - Slidingpillar
3 in 1 with PTFE (for bicycles) is probably the stuff, I'd use. Failing that working, some motorbike chain lube which I use on the Morgan.
edit, all 'free' as I always have them
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Mon 3 Apr 17 at 13:51
 Lubrication - madf
A Dry Silicone Spray is ideal for squeaking windows, sunroofs and miscellaneous things that don't like grease ..
I wish it worked on my back...
 Lubrication - Falkirk Bairn
>>3.5 minutes, for £75!

Plus travel time which coukd be 20/30 mins each way if semi-local!
 Lubrication - smokie
Yeah I know, I didn't resent him the money at all, though I did feel afterwards that I should have made a bit more effort myself.
 Lubrication - Rudedog
GT85 - nice smell, good on bikes.
 Lubrication - Cliff Pope
>> though I did feel
>> afterwards that I should have made a bit more effort myself.
>>

That's always the way when you get an expert to look at something.
Part of what you are paying him for is the training lesson so that you can do it yourself next time.

The first time I called a washing machine repairer out it cost £50. He said it was the motor brushes. If it stops working it's always the brushes.

He was right - I've done brushes lots of times over the years, and only last week did one - it wasn't worn out, just sticking in its slot so that it didn't press on the commutator hard enough. It would do the ordinary washing but there was too much resistance to supply the spin current.
Now I know how to release the brush assembly by depressing the tag I can do it without even loosening the motor. Total time to replace brushes is about a minute - good value from my original £50.
 Lubrication - Mapmaker
>>That's always the way when you get an expert to look at something.
>>Part of what you are paying him for is the training lesson so that you can do it yourself next time.

Oh yes.
 Lubrication - Old Navy
The guys who fitted my garage door recommended a drip of car engine oil on the moving parts every six months or so. Also not to lubricate the wheel tracks just wipe with a dry rag and not to use grease under any circumstances as it becomes grinding paste over time with wind blown grit, dirt, and especially block paving sand.
I'm surprised the subject of this thread has not awakened Big Bad Dave.
Latest Forum Posts