Motoring Discussion > Can I legally cover up the EU flag on my car? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 77

Can I legally cover up the EU flag on my car? - Dog
With a Cornish flag, like now, not in 20nineteen ?

Um: www.amazon.co.uk/Cornwall-Number-Sticker-Kernow-Cornish/dp/B01INESIB2/ref=sr_1_10/251-7962645-2051210?ie=UTF8&qid=1491204906&sr=8-10&keywords=cornish+flag+sticker

Can I legally cover up the EU flag on my car? - Bromptonaut
No. There are a number of legitimate alternatives to the EU symbol but the Cornish flag is not one of them:

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/533255/inf104-vehicle-registration-numbers-and-number-plates.pdf

(see section 8)

You'd probably fail the MOT but chances of being apprehended on road are, I'd guess, miniscule. See plenty with football and other logos.

Any number of utterly egregious plates round here, including B1 FLE rendered as RIFLE. He has a spare set that go on for MoT and come off after.
Okay. Cheers Brompt.
 Can I legally cover up the EU flag on my car? - commerdriver
>> Any number of utterly egregious plates round here, including B1 FLE rendered as RIFLE. He
>> has a spare set that go on for MoT and come off after.
>>
Is that not committing a more serious offence, apart from being a stupid thing to do?
>> Is that not committing a more serious offence, apart from being a stupid thing to
>> do?

Almost certainly and, apart from 'false' number (albeit done with screws rather than actual letters) IIRC there's a three strikes and out rule where users of illegally spaced plates lose them.

Used to see this one frequently at same time/road - guess his commute was reverse of mine.

Something like ten years and two or three vehicles.
 Can I legally cover up the EU flag on my car? - Roger.
I've just ordered some new number plates for our car.
The Union Flag replaces the E.U. ring of stars.
 Can I legally cover up the EU flag on my car? - sherlock47
>> I've just ordered some new number plates for our car.
>> The Union Flag replaces the E.U. ring of stars.
>>

Good for you -do your bit to boost the economy.

Can I legally cover up the EU flag on my car? - VxFan
>> I've just ordered some new number plates for our car.
>> The Union Flag replaces the E.U. ring of stars.

No doubt made in China ;l)
>>I've just ordered some new number plates for our car. The Union Flag replaces the E.U. ring of stars.

Interesting. The dealer put new plates on the old crate I bought last month, but the plates have the EU flag on them.

I've just placed an order for a pair of these:

www.amazon.co.uk/Cornwall-Cornish-Motorbike-Sticker-120x80mm/dp/B01D22BBN2/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1491214581&sr=8-9&keywords=cornish+flag+sticker

:o}

Can I legally cover up the EU flag on my car? - movilogo
I thought until we officially leave EU or govt overwrites any EU law via repeal bill, we are still bound by existing laws.
>> I thought until we officially leave EU or govt overwrites any EU law via repeal
>> bill, we are still bound by existing laws.

We were never required to have the EU symbol on our plates.
 Can I legally cover up the EU flag on my car? - Manatee

>> We were never required to have the EU symbol on our plates.

Correct. I always replace mine with plain ones, I dislike the fussy look of the blue bit. Neither can I understand why they always drill plates and car and screw them on - I stick the replacements on. Much harder to get off, easier to clean, look better, less likely to delaminate. Some slapdash twerp had actually drilled two sets of holes in the steel tailgate of the Outlander, now taped over.
 Can I legally cover up the EU flag on my car? - henry k
>> I always replace mine with plain ones, I dislike the fussy look of the blue bit.
I intend to change mine.
IMO the best looking legal ones are surprisingly Halfords.

>> I stick the replacements on. Much harder to get off.
Last lot on sons car were a pain to put on. The front one needed a heat gun to make it curve to follow the shape of the number plate plinth.

>> easier to clean, look better.
I agree

>> less likely to delaminate.
I have only seen delamination around the outer edge of plates
 Can I legally cover up the EU flag on my car? - smokie
I couldn't tell you what was on my number plate, apart from my car reg. Well I presume it's mine. It's not something I'm over-concerned about :-)

I find stickers like those which Dog is getting ("Non Emmet") slightly offensive, mainly cos I've always taken the term emmet to be slightly derogatory. But then I'm sure that's the intent.
>>But then I'm sure that's the intent.

Without looking it up, I believe the word Emmet means ant in Cornish.

If you're unlucky enough to visit Padstien or St Ives during July or August, you may understand why some Cornishman or woman, in days gorn past, applied the word to the army of ants (tourists) scurrying to and fro.
Both times we've bought new cars recently we were offered EU/non EU as part of ordering process. As we're both remainers and the cars were likely to cross the Channel we went for EU.

Same with caravan.

The Skoda came with non EU and stays that way. If it unexpectedly goes abroad I'll have to remember a GB sticker.

A quick walk round the road suggests about 20/80 EU/plain.
 Can I legally cover up the EU flag on my car? - No FM2R
Really? People care what their number plate looks like?

Why? That makes less sense than personalised number plates.
Well each to their own eh:)
 Can I legally cover up the EU flag on my car? - Crankcase
I needed a breath of air, so just counted in our little carpark. 13 plain, 6 EU.

Having owned Zoe for well over a year now, I was mildly surprised to find mine was plain. Can't say as I've ever looked before. Certainly wasn't a conversation I ever had with anyone at purchase time.

Can I legally cover up the EU flag on my car? - jc2
Asked our local dealer-they fit plain unless specially requested.
Maybe it's a Cornish thing but, all the cars I've bought down 'ere have had new number plates fitted, complete with the EU flag.

Cornwall has done well out of £U funding and ... voted Leave.

(*_*)
 Can I legally cover up the EU flag on my car? - Runfer D'Hills
Two of our cars have the little blue GB/EU insert and one doesn't. No plans to change any of them as they're all currently legal and I'm not of a mind to worry over much, or indeed at all, about what "messages" that sends or doesn't in any direction from any of those vehicles.

I did specify the insert on my most recent company car plates as it saves, or has saved, the faff of putting a GB sticker on, and my car leaves the country a few times a year.

But, I was once given a tip, maybe even from someone here come to think, of how to put a traditional GB sticker on without it bubbling. It was to dip it briefly in a bucket of warm soapy water and apply it wet. Totally brilliant tip actually, because for about 30 seconds you can slide it about to get the exact positioning right and it doesn't bubble. Still sticks perfectly well.

Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 3 Apr 17 at 17:27
 Can I legally cover up the EU flag on my car? - Slidingpillar
That is the correct way - could have been me saying it, but loads of folk know the warm, wet and soapy trick.
It could well have been you SP and I'm very grateful anyway to whoever it was ! Top tip.
 Can I legally cover up the EU flag on my car? - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Cornwall has done well out of £U funding and ... voted Leave.

It's usually a smart move to quit while you are winning.
 Can I legally cover up the EU flag on my car? - Roger.
The new number plates arrived today: very nice they look, too.
A nice dark blue background for the Union Flag, with underneath it, 'Great Britain'.
I also opted for a red border and as a slogan (in case I forget what car I'm driving (!) 'Honda' in black.
The car was in Halford's today to replace, under warranty, a warped disc and they kindly fitted the plates at no cost.
I've added £££ to the value of the car !!!
Last edited by: Roger. on Tue 4 Apr 17 at 16:41
 Can I legally cover up the EU flag on my car? - devonite
I believe you could also have had the English flag of St George! - that would have made it priceless!! ;-)
>> I believe you could also have had the English flag of St George!

Indeed, see document linked at post #2
 Can I legally cover up the EU flag on my car? - Haywain
"I believe you could also have had the English flag of St George! - that would have made it priceless!! ;-)"

How often do I have to repeat myself ............ it's 'The English flag of St Edmund'. Tcha!

;-)
 Can I legally cover up the EU flag on my car? - bathtub tom
>> A nice dark blue background for the Union Flag, with underneath it, 'Great Britain'.

Pedant mode on.

Thank you for naming it the Union Flag, that only applies if its flown from a jack-staff (I believe).
Now let's hope others realise wing mirrors haven't been around since the '70s.

Pedant mode off.
 Can I legally cover up the EU flag on my car? - Old Navy

www.flaginstitute.org/wp/british-flags/the-union-jack-or-the-union-flag/
 Can I legally cover up the EU flag on my car? - CGNorwich
Any mirror on the side of a car is now known as a wing mirror. Language changes! Do keep up!
>> Any mirror on the side of a car is now known as a wing mirror.

You may think that, I wonder what the Bristol grammar vigilante would have to say?

Oh, I see The Easter Daily Press already has:tinyurl.com/ln4vcc8
Diversionary tactics eh?

I'm afraid you're outgunned on this one. All the major dictionaries define wing mirror as any mirror on the side of a car. Even wikipaedia does.

That's the problem with dictionaries. They reflect usage, not correctness. Mostt of the people doing the usage are ignorami:)
 Can I legally cover up the EU flag on my car? - tyrednemotional
...no they're not; most of the people doing the usage are ignoramuses.....

;-)
Dictionaries have long since ceased to be any guide to correct English, certainly at least at any formal (or should that be pedantic) level.
A mirror on the door can only ever really be a door mirror. Many cars don't have a wide enough wing to attach a wing mirror any more.
Much as I'd like to join in, I really don't want to talk about this.
"Doing the usage" ???

They are northerners, have a heart, they do very well, considering...

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 4 Apr 17 at 20:40
I cite the following in defence of my assertion.

You may wish to avert your eyes.

www.wingmirrorman.co.uk

>> That's the problem with dictionaries. They reflect usage

That's why we use and accept terms like like boot, bonnet, dashboard which originally meant something other than their current meaning. Wing mirror has joined that club.

Would you still say Dial 999 or pedantically observe that modern phones no longer have a dial and pedantically observe that you should press the nine button on the phone three times?

:-) :-) :-)

Can I legally cover up the EU flag on my car? - Ted

Its b'cos they stick out at the side of the car and look like lickle wing's !
One of my faves is lickle wing: www.youtube.com/watch?v=An4uDegHB8s
>> Diversionary tactics eh?
>> I'm afraid you're outgunned on this one. All the major dictionaries define wing mirror as
>> any mirror on the side of a car. Even wikipaedia does.

Wiki states:A wing mirror, also known as the fender mirror, door mirror, or side view mirror
So would you prefer fender mirror?
Language is not about we prefer, it's what is understood. Wing mirror is just fine and understood by everyone in the U.K. don't you think?
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 4 Apr 17 at 23:32
 Can I legally cover up the EU flag on my car? - Zero
>> Language is not about we prefer, it's what is understood. Wing mirror is just fine
>> and understood by everyone in the U.K. don't you think?

An attitude and position that is completely unacceptable to the peck eyed pedants who salivate over this forum.
>> >> Language is not about we prefer, it's what is understood. Wing mirror is just fine
>> >> and understood by everyone in the U.K. don't you think?
>>
>> An attitude and position that is completely unacceptable to the peck eyed pedants who salivate
>> over this forum.
>>
Lighten up guys, we know we are being pedantic, for most of us, the pedantry is a bit of fun, we don't take it seriously.

I haven't really been following this 'ere wing/door mirror busy niz.

But LQQK:

Wing mirrors go on the wing.

Door mirrors go on the door

Interior mirrors go in the interior.

It really is that simple.
Daily Mirrors go in the bin.
>> Lighten up guys, we know we are being pedantic, for most of us, the pedantry
>> is a bit of fun, we don't take it seriously.

Language is what it is, which is different everyday.

But what shall we call a wing mirror, when wing mirror means something else? Eh? What? And why do I have to put up with "panini's"?

I had a new 1980 Fiesta 950L kindly supplied by my employer, in highly covetable Nevada Beige, or was it Sahara Tan - it had one door mirror as standard, mounted directly to the door skin. In August 1981 we went on holiday to France in it, and I bought a matching chrome left side mirror, drilled two holes in the passenger door, and fitted it. From memory it cost £11, but that seems way too cheap. Then again, I was probably earning about £5,000 a year at the time.
>>why do I have to put up with "panini's"?

I live in a town with a large Italian population and that irks many of them that I know.
>> I live in a town with a large Italian population and that irks many of
>> them that I know.
>>

Amuses them more like I would think much like misspellings of English translations on Greek menus always amuse me.

Would you really go into Greggs and ask for a Panino?

>> Would you really go into Greggs and ask for a Panino?

No.

I have had nothing to say to Greggs since they sold me a hot Cornish-style Pasto that was frozen in the middle.
Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 5 Apr 17 at 16:20

>> Would you really go into Greggs and ask for a Panino?

Only to be told the staff is in a meeting discussing the datum about a graffito?

Can I legally cover up the EU flag on my car? - sooty123
> Lighten up guys, we know we are being pedantic, for most of us, the pedantry
>> is a bit of fun, we don't take it seriously.

You might, but I'm sure some take it deadly serious.

>> You might, but I'm sure some take it deadly serious.

Up to a point:)

What irritates you? Whatever it is, you probably aren't as concerned about it as your family's wellbeing, war, pestilence, faime and disease.

Same with me; it's not anything I would fight in a ditch over and many a time it's amusing, but solecisms in speech and writing just trip me up and distract me from listening or understanding. I can't help it.

In the written word, it is a nuisance and a discourtesy to be careless, allowing that we all make mistakes. A hairdresser doesn't have to know what to do with an apostrophe to be a good hairdresser but, if he's having a permanent sign made up and he doesn't know, why doesn't he find out?

A friend used to have a business growing stuff and delivering veg. boxes. His surname is Carritt. I really, really, wanted him to have "Carritt's" on the side of his van.
>> A hairdresser doesn't have to know what to do
>> with an apostrophe to be a good hairdresser but, if he's having a permanent sign
>> made up and he doesn't know, why doesn't he find out?
>>
...sometimes, you can just make signwriting up as you go along.... ;-)

goo.gl/maps/t7j6joTyaRM2

(Safe, Google Streetview)
 Can I legally cover up the EU flag on my car? - sooty123
> What irritates you? Whatever it is, you probably aren't as concerned about it as your
>> family's wellbeing, war, pestilence, faime and disease.

Of course, but i don't go on about them, whereas on here pedants seem to bang on about it.
Pedants? We're not even close. I thought I was grumpy about misplaced apostrophes, until I came across this post on another forum. Someone really takes this stuff seriously.

Oh, look! An anonymous coward that trots out false dichotomies. And who doesn't understand that when people decide to be lazy, poor communicators, it means that they really don't think that what they're talking about is actually all that important (or, they assume that they're only talking to other people who are too dumb to parse the language correctly). Showing that you can't grasp something as fundamental as the difference between plural and possessive words means that you're probably not a careful or critical thinker, and that means that whatever point you're trying to make is probably also tainted by a lazy intellect.

It takes extra work to incorrectly add an apostrophe to a plural word. Why do it? It can't be incorrect typing that just coincidentally stuck an apostrophe right where you'd put one if you meant the possessive form. It's a failure to grasp the difference. Which means it's a written form that's simply being visually copied from having seen other people do the same thing. Which means the person using it isn't actually thinking about what they're saying. Pointing that out isn't a complaint about grammar, it's an observation about the merits of the communication generally, because of what the deliberately bad usage says about the person making the communication.

We all make typos. But this particular type of error is a sign of a larger case of not thinking about what one is even thinking in the first place.

Can I legally cover up the EU flag on my car? - Old Navy
>> You might, but I'm sure some take it deadly serious.
>>

One of our pendants?

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/03/revealed-self-styled-grammar-vigilante-corrects-badly-punctuated/
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 5 Apr 17 at 12:57
>> Even wikipaedia does.

But Wikipedia can be updated by anyone and therefore write whatever tosh they like.
 Can I legally cover up the EU flag on my car? - henry k
>> But Wikipedia can be updated by anyone and therefore write whatever tosh they like.
>>
Indeed. I have updated, added to items and yes also corrected one or two items so beware :-)

A recent example of....... incorrect information.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kellyanne_Conway

Kellyanne Elizabeth Conway is the current Counselor to the President for Donald Trump.
However a Google search for her will find many many repeated, word perfect, garbled references to studying at Oxford
" Kellyanne also studied at Oxford University and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. "
No reference was found re studying etc at Oxford and of course PBK is an American award"

The reference re studying at Oxford was deleted from her Wiki item but I notice there is still further down " on a year abroad at Oxford University"

So VxFan IMO and experience is spot on. Treat Wiki items with caution.

Well of of course you should treat Wikipedia with caution but that is not to say it is extremely useful source of information especially when corroborated by other perhaps more reliable sources.

The meaning of a word is of course established by current usage , not what any person in particular thinks it should mean, what you want it to mean or indeed what it used to mean. Thus to establish the usage of and meaning of a word you need to look at multiple different sources including dictionaries and usages in various media and day to day speech and business.

For better or worse by those criteria a wing mirror is now simply a mirror on the side of a car.
>> The meaning of a word is of course established by current usage , not what
>> any person in particular thinks it should mean, what you want it to mean or
>> indeed what it used to mean.

...I think the dude is right, innit?.....
>> >> The meaning of a word is of course established by current usage
>>
So we should presumably expect the term wing mirror to disappear at some point in the future as many drivers, I hesitate to say most, do not use the term and never have.

Most drivers under 50 have never driven a car with wing mirrors and would usually call them door mirrors. I last drove one in the 70s at the latest.
 Can I legally cover up the EU flag on my car? - Hard Cheese
A wing mirror is situated on the wing, circa 1970s, and a door mirror on the door, the more contemporary placement, though as to what they should be called ...

Exterior mirrors and interior mirror - that seems to be the usual terminology these days.

...except in the Runfer' household, where the usual prefix to mirror is "where's that"...

;-)
I preferred wing mirrors to door mirrors back in the day, although I usually fitted an 'overtaking' mirror on the drivers side door as well, even if it was only one of those which clipped onto the quarter light window.

The last car I owned which had wing mirrors fitted was probably a Toyota Corona.

>> Most drivers under 50 have never driven a car with wing mirrors

Doesn't apply to anyone on ear
>> Doesn't apply to anyone on ear

Speak for yourself, you ol git. Some of us are still under 50 (just).
 Can I legally cover up the EU flag on my car? - smokie
>>> ...I think the dude is right, innit?.....

Not only right, he's sick an' ill man
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 5 Apr 17 at 11:32

I still have a nice chrome mirror on the o/s wing of the classic. I've managed to obtain a matching one for the n/s but I need to flat the paint off and lacquer the wing before it goes on. Waiting for warmer weather.

I do have two torpedo mirrors in brand new condition, still boxed. They wouldn't suit the Jowett. Must try and sell them. Ideal for 70s sports car.

>>I do have two torpedo mirrors in brand new condition, still boxed. They wouldn't suit the Jowett. Must try and sell them. Ideal for 70s sports car.

Yep, fitted them to my Brooklands/British Racing Green MGB Roadster a long long time ago!
Job done: m.flickr.com/#/photos/43576259@N04/33047257713/
Who's the old bloke in the rubbish?
His lifestyle coach
Birthday card from the missus believe it or not:

John Bennett, traveller, Addisford, Dolton, Devon, 1980.

Not unlike me really, if I cut my hair, grew my beard, and lost a few stone!
Latest Forum Posts