Motoring Discussion > Navigator Post Code Programming Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: busbee Replies: 11

Navigator Post Code Programming - busbee
I am interested in updating my ancient TomTom navigator -- a 3.5" fairly simple one.
My use is only in the UK and the distances are usually just a few tens of miles.

I navigate using post codes, and then by listening to the voice instructions, rather than looking at the map. So it is important that any new one allows me to do that without needing a smart phone.

I am thinking of buying a GO 40, 4.3" one. Anyone got one and can confirm that I can input post codes as above?

It has lifetime map updates, and traffic info. using a smart phone. It comes for about £105 notes.

I have just sent back a via 50 because it needs a smart phone.

Navigator Post Code Programming - Hard Cheese
My mother-in-law had a 3 or 4 ish year old TomTom that packed up, she took it in to Halfords where she bought it, they confirmed that it was U/S and offered her a newer, larger screen ex-display model for £20, not sure of the model number though it looks great to me.
 Navigator Post Code Programming - Zero
The Via 50 only requires a smart phone for Live updates (traffic etc) It would still have functioned perfectly well as a sat nav using post codes without a phone.

The go 40 is just the same.
 Navigator Post Code Programming - devonite
Garmin Nuvi 65 - spot on!
Zero: So what was I doing wrong? I got the keyboard displayed for a place name. No way I could see of getting that to respond to a post code.

I would still like a reply from someone who has GO 40 one.
 Navigator Post Code Programming - Old Navy
On my start 25, a lower grade model, when you touch " Navigate to" it brings up a screen with an address option showing a green signpost logo showing "AB-1". Selecting this brings up a screen with a "City/code" input line at the top. You can enter a place name or a postcode here. It then shows a list of street names for selection.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 5 Apr 17 at 15:41
On this page:
www.getgeared.co.uk/tomtom-go-40-uk-m-united-kingdom

for a GO 40 is the paragraph:

" . . . . Tap & Go allows you to simply tap on a saved destination and it will plan your route straight away, no programming of postcodes and street names. . . ."

does that mean, not at all, or just an improvement from post code use?
ON, Thanks for that. On the VIA 50 I tried everything I could click
Last edited by: busbee on Wed 5 Apr 17 at 15:50
Just found this:

Postcodes for streets

Countries such as the Netherlands and the United Kingdom use this type of postcode. When you search using this type of postcode, enter the postcode, then leave a space and then optionally enter the house number. For example, "1017CT 35". Your device then plans a route to a specific house or building on a specific street.
----
So you just have to know you can do something like AB10 7CD on the keyboard and it will know what you are doing.
 Navigator Post Code Programming - smokie
I've no idea about that device but what you says implies that if it already knows about a destination then you don't need to re-enter the details, which makes sense. I guess it might already know either by having previously navigated to the same place, or by it having been saved as a favourite place, either of which would require detail of the address (or postcode) to be entered at some point, but likely only the once.(There may be a limit of the number of places it simply remembers,. as opposed to those explicitly saved)
 Navigator Post Code Programming - Old Navy
Try this -

download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/new_GO/html/en-gb/index.htm#Planningaroutetoanaddressusingsearch-MASTEREU-NEW.htm

It gives a postcode option.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 5 Apr 17 at 16:14
Thanks ON. I had just found a similar paragraph in the GO 40 manual, as you must have been typing, but with less detail than yours. I guess it is now all sorted. Thanks.
Latest Forum Posts