Motoring Discussion > Car hire without a credit card Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 25

Car hire without a credit card - Crankcase
There's the possibility of hiring a car (UK only) later in the year.

I don't have a credit card. I did have a couple about 20 years ago, but they were so minimally used, with no interest ever paid on them, that in both cases the companies wrote and said they wouldn't be renewing them as we were under-using them.

I never bothered to look about for another.

I can see from a quick Google that not having one makes it perhaps awkward to hire a car?

I don't really want a credit card - extra hassle in remembering to pay it and anyway we don't work like that. It would only be for this purpose, and it would never get used otherwise. So undoubtedly the supplying company, if we even got a card, would withdraw it again after a few months of inactivity anyway.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 6 Apr 17 at 11:16
 Car hire without a credit card - bathtub tom
The only card I've ever had withdrawn was a Saga card I acquired for use abroad. They withdrew it for lack of use as I didn't bother with it in this country.
I've a few cards that I've got now as I moved from one to another to chase the best cashback terms. I suspect I haven't used one or two for a year or more.
 Car hire without a credit card - Dave
I have the same problem, compounded by the fact I have a UK licence, but no UK address. They want a credit card, and possibly further proof of address with recent bills etc.

My GF can rent in her name and card, but doesnt want to drive in the uk, which then means paying the supplement for extra driver, which is nearly the same as the actual car rental price per day.

Solution seems to be drive over from Sweden, or have relatives cart us around for a week, and maybe borow my dads car for a day or so, with the hassle of adding me to his insurance. We've chosen the latter!
 Car hire without a credit card - tyrednemotional
...If you have a Debit card, awkward only in that the hire company may wish to take a medium-sized deposit up-front, and return it at some time later.

An example is:

www.sixt.co.uk/rental-services/payment-methods/

(Other Debit card hirers are available).
 Car hire without a credit card - CGNorwich
Pretty much all major hire firms will accept a debit card. None will accept cash.
 Car hire without a credit card - Wibble
I know it is a pain but you are much better off with a credit card especially if there is a dispute with any claims after an accident or returning the car as the card company is jointly liable for services between £100 and £30,000.
Last edited by: Wibble on Thu 6 Apr 17 at 11:47
 Car hire without a credit card - Falkirk Bairn
>> extra hassle in remembering to pay it and anyway we don't work like that. It would only be >>for this purpose, and it would never get used otherwise

Path of least issues is get a CC from your bank - use it for the carhire & then put it away in a drawer when you have used it. 1 month after the hire remember to pay the bill in full & then there is no interest to pay.

Crankcase - Your Problem? more making mountains out of molehills.
 Car hire without a credit card - Duncan

>> I don't have a credit card.....
>>
>> I don't really want a credit card - extra hassle in remembering to pay it
>> and anyway we don't work like that.....

>> Any thoughts, anyone?

How do you pay for fuel, supermarket shopping, meals out etc?
 Car hire without a credit card - commerdriver
>> How do you pay for fuel, supermarket shopping, meals out etc?
>>
Presumably with cash or a debit card.
We do the same using credit cards only for my business expenses or single expensive items to get the extra guarantees etc, which also helps to keep the cards active so that they will be renewed, credit rating is kept up etc.
They are always paid off in full when they are billed.
Appreciate this is not how many people work but it suits us.
 Car hire without a credit card - smokie
I've pretty much stopped using credit cards, mainly excepting when I need to pay something moderately large in a hurry (often impulse buy or something poorly planned!) and there may not be enough dosh in the bank account.
Debit card, yes.

Thanks to FB for both observations - food for thought on both counts.
 Car hire without a credit card - CGNorwich
Handy for booking accommodation though to guarantee payment. Foreign travel is awkward without a credit card.
 Car hire without a credit card - BrianByPass
>> I've pretty much stopped using credit cards

I use credit cards >95% of the time, the rest mainly by Debit card, hardly ever pay by cash.
 Car hire without a credit card - smokie
Good for you. However not everyone is the same, or wants to be the same, for a myriad a reasons.

My preferred payment method for smaller amounts is Android Pay.
>> Good for you. However not everyone is the same, or wants to be the same,
>> for a myriad a reasons.
>>

I didn't know. Breaking News to me!

Sometimes I do wonder why I bother commenting here.

;-)

>> Any thoughts, anyone?
>>

Lots. You asked for it.

You must be one in a million. (Have you thought about trying your luck on the Lotto?)

>> extra hassle in remembering to pay it
>>

Set up direct debit.

>> we don't work like that.

Change your way of working. Join the 20th 21st century.

Take advice from here
www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/best-credit-card-rewards

Scroll down that page to choose which one is best for your spending habits; Tesco, Sainsbury's, M&S, Asda, TSB, Nationwide - all look good to me.

Thanks for the advice, Brian.

Car hire without a credit card - Falkirk Bairn
Odd man out in all probability

Debit card hardly used for retail transactions except large bills - new car, furniture etc
Credit Card for tinternet purchases only.

Pay for everything in cash - lift £300 @ATM, run down to £100 then lift another £300 - pay supermarket, petrol, meals out etc etc . Easy to track your spending.

Works for me.
 Car hire without a credit card - Roger.
I have more credit cards than I really need.
I use Paypal for on-line purchases , wherever it's offered, and Anroid pay whenever possible.
I go for those credit cards with a "0% purchase for xx months" deal.
I'm currently owing M.&S. C/C £178 (0% + M&S points) on purchases made in M & S today for SWMBO. (The extra penalty of weight loss!)
I owe £150 on an MBNA card, again 0% interest - that was for her dentures, before Xmas.
Halifax C/C: I have now stopped using it, as their £5 bung has ceased.
I also have a Tesco C/C which they wanted to withdraw due to lack of use. I bought a few groceries with it, to keep it alive, paid it off straight-away but gave them 10p too much, so I'm in credit by 10p! I mostly use it as a Tesco Clubcard.
With the available credit on all four cards combined, I would be quite unable to pay it off, if fully utilised.
I never borrow more than I can pay off in a lump, if necessary.
 Car hire without a credit card - Ted

Like Roger, I've probably got too many CCs. 1 Tesco, 2 MBNA, 2 Hafilax and 1 Opus. SWM has a Barclaycard. Mostly I use one of my 2 Halifax debit cards, one is specifically for internet small purchases...not Amazon. I've only got a balance of about £200 owing on the Opus. The 2 Hafilaxs are in credit. That £200 is the only debt I've got.

Perhaps I ought to start using the others a bit. I'll start next week before we go away for a long weekend at Easter with a fill-up at Tescos. It might be an idea to keep a tenner in credit on them all.

When I used all of them all the time I kept a chart showing name of card/amount owing/min due/due date /amount paid and date paid. All, plus all my ute bills and other stuff is paid by bank transfer so I'm in control.
 Car hire without a credit card - sooty123
I have one CC and one debit card, I've had more on the past but I didn't really use them or they got used for one particular purchase and then binned. I find it easier just having one of each, i couldn't really keep up/bothered with having multiple cards for different purchases.
 Car hire without a credit card - VxFan
>> I have one CC and one debit card,

Ditto. The debit card only gets used to withdraw money from cash machines, and any Paypal purchases if I accidentally choose the wrong card that's linked to it.
 Car hire without a credit card - No FM2R
Personal & chargeable (I like to keep them separate)
Visa & mastercard (Probably not important these days, but it used to be that not everywhere took both).
Debit & credit (different spending profile)

All for convenience. Its no work or admin, at the end of each month a miracle happens and the bank pays them all.

The biggest effort is trying to be strict with myself to use the right one for the right things, rather than simply the closest one.
 Car hire without a credit card - henry k
I use my debit card for cash and very infrequently on the tube instead of an Oyster card.
I use one credit card about 95% of the time.
Having been caught out when aboard when either the VISA or Master Cards system had failed, I have cards on both systems.
CC get paid off every month.
 Car hire without a credit card - Manatee
My suggestion would be to get a Halifax Clarity credit card and set up a direct debit for full repayment from whatever current account you are presently using your debit card with.

That way you need not change "the way you work", it would just delay the charges to you current account, the detail would be on your credit card statements, and you would gain CCA protection on some of your purchases. If you use separate accounts, get one each.

Any credit card would do, but I suggest the Halifax one because it is probably the best for use abroad.

The best cash rate for euros I could find for our recent trip was 1.15, when I got my credit card statement I had been getting 1.17-1.18 with no additional charges on the Halifax card. My First Direct debit card would have added 2.75% currency transaction charge.
Thanks Manatee.

Abroad? Bless you, we don't even have passports.

Latest Forum Posts