Motoring Discussion > 'Feathering' on tyres Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Slightlyfatdirector Replies: 8

'Feathering' on tyres - Slightlyfatdirector
Car back from a service at Volvo a few weeks ago who commented that there was some 'feathering' on the tread of the rear tyres towards the inside edge.

Does anyone know what causes it? Do I need to get some alignment done, or something else to eventually eradicate it as the tyres continue to wear?

They did not seem concerned and did not suggest I do anything, but with hindsight I should have queried this more.

The car is part the way through some CrossClimates and I noticed after some months with them on that there was more road noise when at speed on sweeping bends (a slight 'whooshing' noise), which disappears once back in a straight line, but in recent weeks that has quietened down somewhat.

Thoughts from you chaps and chapesses?

Cheers!
 'Feathering' on tyres - Dog
"One-sided shoulder tire wear: This type of irregular tread wear means the inside or outside shoulder rib of the tread is significantly more worn than the other ribs. Also known as camber wear, excessive positive or negative camber often causes this type of wear"

www.bridgestonetire.com/tread-and-trend/drivers-ed/tire-tread-wear-causes
 'Feathering' on tyres - Cliff Pope
I've always understood that incorrect camber causes one edge of a tyre to wear more than the other, because the tyre is not sitting flat on the road but is tilted inwards or outwards.

Feathering is when you get a peculiar effect of a sort of whispy edge to each tread, and is caused by incorrect tracking, causing the tyre to scrub sideways rather than just roll straight ahead.
 'Feathering' on tyres - martin aston
Wear like this could perhaps be caused by frequent straddling of cushion type speed humps?
 'Feathering' on tyres - Manatee
>> Wear like this could perhaps be caused by frequent straddling of cushion type speed humps?

Sounds possible. The worst of them are very destructive. The are some of those truncated pyramid ones near here that have been improved now after complaints, but the originals destroyed a set of tyres on a Scorpio estate I had 1998-2002. The tread looked no more than half worn, but here wee wires visible on the inside edges.
Thanks all. Appreciated.

I will get to a tyre place for the tracking, etc to be checked.

:)
 'Feathering' on tyres - Zero
Its caused by going round corners too fast. The wooshing noise is a clue
 'Feathering' on tyres - Manatee
That too.

Or on a Mercedes GLC, just cornering.
Perhaps, but this was a change from no noise on the original tyres ever, nor on the new ones for about 15,000 miles to this noise on any corner, and especially sweeping bends at virtually any speed.

I can certainly get the tyres to squeal a bit on a roundabout with no one else present on the road if I am in a hurry, but bear in mind this is a Volvo, and a bog-standard V70 (not quite like steering a boat, but...) :)
Latest Forum Posts