Motoring Discussion > Fashion over function. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 13

Fashion over function. - Old Navy
I have noticed recently, and particularly today, a bright sunny day, that several cars, mainly VAG but also Rover brands have tiny rear indicators. I may be approaching decrepitude but it is a good job my eyes still work!
 Fashion over function. - Manatee
I have noticed this too. Some Audis are poor. And the front flashers are frequently outshone by DRLs.

But 90% of drivers are so rubbish at signalling that it makes little difference. The brake lights usually go on first, or they change their positioning, and you know they are up to something.
 Fashion over function. - spamcan61
>> I have noticed this too. Some Audis are poor. And the front flashers are frequently
>> outshone by DRLs.
>>
I notice they've 'fixed' this on some models by switching off the DRL when the indicator is on, but it's by no means universal, even on Audis.

Fashion over function. - Dog
Now ain't that funny ... me and the missus were coming back from our walk this afternoon with the two K9's when a car drove past slowing down to hang a right turn.

Following on his tail was an old noisy motorbike and I commented to the ole woman about the stupidly-small slit of an indicator, especially as the sun was behind said car. Fortunately, the biker was on-the-ball and slowed down in good time, an inexperienced speed merchant may have had to change his undercrackers!
 Fashion over function. - Wibble
>>Form over function...

I think it is Audis that have LED type indicators that animate along a horizontal line.

They don't appear to be as immediate as a full on and off blink of standard lights and take a second or so longer to register in my mind as a turn signal. Not good!
I can remember driving in the USA in the 60s, red tail lights and indicators, no high level brake lights, and sequential turn signals. Real fun in urban traffic on a wet night!
 Fashion over function. - Hard Cheese

>>
>> They don't appear to be as immediate as a full on and off blink
>>

Agreed, also the Audi system of turning off one DRL when an indicator is blinking is daft. In low vis it can look like two vehicles.
 Fashion over function. - CGNorwich
Since the power, position and visibility of indicators are governed by strict legal regulation I fear it is probably an ageing thing .
In that case they must fall under the same laws a emissions. :-)

Take a look at a sciroco or A3.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 8 Apr 17 at 20:41
 Fashion over function. - Harleyman
>> Since the power, position and visibility of indicators are governed by strict legal regulation I
>> fear it is probably an ageing thing .
>>

There are indeed regulations regarding position and brightness of the lamp; but I fear this is more to do with the triumph of design over common sense.

Having recently had my eyes tested for my HGV medical, they being found to be perfectly functional without the need for spectacles, and myself being a vocational driver who probably sees more bad driving than most folk, these things catch me out too occasionally so perhaps said regulations are not strict enough?
 Fashion over function. - henry k
How many years ago was it that the Citroen DS got the rear indicators sorted?

cdn.barnfinds.com/sites/barnfinds.com/files/imagecache/large/images/1/1956_citroen_ds_rear_tail_light.jpg
 Fashion over function. - Rudedog
Take a look at a new Chrysler Ypsilon, I followed one today and the brake lights are minute, two small patches in the very lower part of the cluster, hardly noticeable at all.
This is when I first saw sequential turn signals, as these lights were also the tail and brake lights, as I said, confusing on a wet night in urban traffic! At least ours are amber, even if some are tiny.

automotivemileposts.com/autobrevity/sequentialsignals.html
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 8 Apr 17 at 22:08
 Fashion over function. - legacylad
I saw these sequential turn signals on an HGV for the first time a few days ago. Very effective. It was a dry night and not in town.
I rarely drive in cities... train then cinema, beer & grub is my sole reason for going near large conurbations these days.
Latest Forum Posts