Motoring Discussion > Insurance for Italian with recent UK licence Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: hjd Replies: 15

Insurance for Italian with recent UK licence - hjd
Daughter's Italian boyfriend, aged 28, has had an Italian driving licence for some time (since he first passed his test there). He has now been living in the UK for several years and wants to settle here, so in August 2016 he swapped his Italian driving licence for a UK one.
Daughter now wants to add him to her policy (with Hastings Direct) but they will not quote for him because he has had a UK licence for less than a year and also because of her car (2005 MX5).
His licence does show on the back the date he acquired his original Italian licence and he managed to get this accepted when they hired a car in Finland this winter.
Her existing policy expires in June so no problem about changing insurers (she has had a full licence with no claims for 9.5 years).
She will probably change her car in the next year or so but no plans to do it yet.
Anyone know of a helpful company or broker please?
 Insurance for Italian with recent UK licence - Runfer D'Hills
Might be tempted to consult a High St broker as opposed to to a computer screen. The sort of independent outfit that has been around for ever. They're not fashionable any more, but you might imagine they would be pretty clued up.
 Insurance for Italian with recent UK licence - CGNorwich
Are there still High St brokers? Extinct species in thes parts.
We do use a High Street broker for our home insurance - not in our high street any more, alas. Does anyone have experience of the likes of Adrian Flux?
 Insurance for Italian with recent UK licence - jc2
Even if not on High St.-plenty on phone-get out the phone book or "Yellow Pages".
 Insurance for Italian with recent UK licence - Rick O'Shea
>> Are there still High St brokers? Extinct species in thes parts.
>>

Norwich? A number of local insurance brokers exist! do you not get out much?
 Insurance for Italian with recent UK licence - CGNorwich
You are absolutely correct RoS.

Yes there are still some motor insurance brokers in Norwich. I guess I haven't gone looking for one for many years. I rather thought they had all disappeared along with candle stick makers and video rentals. Always insure my car on line.

I actually worked for a broker for many years - Aviation Insurance though. I could tell you where to get a quote for your Boeing 747 :-)

Insurance for Italian with recent UK licence - commerdriver
>> I actually worked for a broker for many years - Aviation Insurance though. I could
>> tell you where to get a quote for your Boeing 747 :-)
>>
Do they do classic airliner insurance then ?
 Insurance for Italian with recent UK licence - No FM2R
www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-membership/eaa-aircraft-insurance-plans/aircraft-insurance/eaa_vintage_aircraft_insurance_plan
 Insurance for Italian with recent UK licence - Mapmaker
>>because he has had a UK licence for less than a year

I'm no EU lawyer, but that sounds illegal to me, freedom of movement etc. etc.. Has daughter answered the right question correctly? And has the call centre person understood the point? Refer to the supervisor.
 Insurance for Italian with recent UK licence - Bromptonaut
Broadly agree with MM that you need to query your insurer's response, perhaps formally.

You can, at least until formal Brexit, drive on an EU licence until age 70 OR exchange it for a GB licence. DVLA guidance is here: www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence.

Forum on confused.com though suggests you are not alone in experiencing problems.

support.confused.com/confusedcom/topics/how-exchanging-eu-driving-licence-to-uk-licence-will-affect-car-insurance-cost
 Insurance for Italian with recent UK licence - Mapmaker
As I have a live quote on Confused.com, I looked at the question.

"What sort of a licence do you hold?" Answer: UK manual.
"How long have you held it?"

I think the answer to "how long" is since the Italian test was passed. If you are over 70 and you have a new licence every three years the answer is "since I was 17" not "six months".
 Insurance for Italian with recent UK licence - commerdriver
The OP needs to talk to the insurance company, probably try to get a conversation with a supervisor or such.
Any response you put in on a form where there is possible confusion needs to become part of a conversation or written/email trail. Otherwise you risk problems in the event of a claim.

Last edited by: commerdriver on Tue 2 May 17 at 16:00
Thanks all.
I have already advised her that she needs to speak to someone who understands the problem so no point just going through the online quote systems.
 Insurance for Italian with recent UK licence - MD
Hi HJD. Have you had any joy yet with an independent?
It's my daughter's insurance - I just advise and see if she accepts my undoubted wisdom..
Haven't spoken to her today so don't yet know.
Latest Forum Posts