Motoring Discussion > BMW - BMW G30 540i X Drive M Sport Saloon Test
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 239

BMW - BMW G30 540i X Drive M Sport Saloon Test - Zero
The Car: BMW G30 540i xDrive M Sport Saloon
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_5_Series_(G30)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_B58

Collected it from the dealer, and there it sat looking very smart, sophisticated yet understated and discrete in its Sophisto Grey Xirallic Metalic coat, tho the optional 20 inch 759 alloy wheels were a bit Essex girl stilletos for me, and they worried me a tad.

Opened the door and climbed into the ivory white nappa leather comfort seat, and with the aid of 2 memory electrical adjusters for seat and steering quickly got very very comfy indeed. The seats are fab because the upper and lower backrest adjust independently as well as the seat squab, and Mrs Z, who is very picky about seats, was able to get the ideal posture for her ageing complaining bones.
Plenty of room in the footwell, door sides and central tunnel not intruding or claustrophobic, and the top of the dash is not too high. The electrically retracting/lifting steering column aids entry and exit a treat.

Dump the spare key (Dealer didnt give me the “info” key) into one of the two cup holders, and press the button to the left of the wheel. The previously blank dash lit up into garish red M sport mode, one of four types depending on what mode, Eco – Comfort – Sport1 - Sport 2 you have the car set to. The engine, turbine smooth, starts and idles at surprisingly high revs when first fired up, hot or cold. The auto gear selector seems to me to be a little bit of faff, with a separate park button, the lock button being in an awkward place, and the switch like process of using it made manoeuvring a bit clumsy till I got the hang of it. So into drive, gingerly squeezing the bottom hinged throttle, the auto hand brake ticks off and we ease into Cobham rush hour traffic.

Its a genuinely easy car to bimble about in traffic. The ride on the silly wheels is actually rather good, not falling into potholes with a thud, the throttle response is relaxed, visibility seemed good (more of that later) and for a big car it drove small. I had of course by this time put the car in “comfort” mode. Despite the rampant horsepower, the M sport moniker, this is a car you can genuinely mimse around, in a quiet comfortable hassle free bubble. It has start stop. They have tried to make it a clever start stop, but in so doing its a PITA, turning on and off at the wrong moments, its easy to disable the thing. So it was.

Of course for a normal red blooded bloke with over 330hp under his foot that wont last long, but more of that later as well.

Ergonomically its a dream, perfect driving postion, no dash reflections – except the HUD, did I mention it has a HUD? Thats a real WOW moment that lasts about 2 hours, then gets ignored till your first night drive when you frantically scrabble about in the I drive menu to dim the damn thing Wont be spcifying that. The central functions display is good and clear, but a bit limited in what you can do without diving into the idrive, it had gesture control which was too much hassle to set up. It has a cd slot if you look carefully, but the climate and other buttons are, despite being very tactile, a bit small and thoughtlessly scattered. The Volvo V90 system works much better. Voice control for the most part worked OK on both navigation and audio functions. The audio was no better than my current set up in the XC70 despite the fancy Harman Kardman monikers on the speaker grilles, and the DAB kept cutting out. The climate is very difficult to manipulate in manual mode, no easy way to direct air around the cabin in spots you wish.

And now to the performance:

Ruddy hell. Its animal. In a “tiger bites your head off” type of animal. I found a straight stretch, checked it was relatively clear and safe and then I buried my foot in the floor. - Nothing. Literally nothing happens, for a noticeable while, then BANG. Your head hits the headrest, and if you haven’t got the seat back sorted correctly your arms and hands leave the steering wheel. You are then transported by light to the spot hundreds of yards down the road you were looking at in the far distance. Fortunately the huge dustbin lid brakes have phenomenal stopping power with no drama, just STOP.
The wait for power moment is a bit off putting, its a combination of turbo lag and gearbox electronics, and unless you have the thing lined up its going to catch the unwary out. With a little
thought you can get instant power, but you have to plan or work for it. Don't be in Eco or Comfort mode, take control of the gearbox manually, have the turbo slightly pre spooled and then bury the foot. Its there, instantly. Off a roundabout and long slip road over the top of the A3, I had the car prepped and ready to leap, there was a gap available, 200 yards away, and it pounced, jumped into the gap in a heart beat, the car behind you a mere spec in the rear view mirror. The engine noise heard inside is a little insipid.
The gearbox is a peach, from bimbling about to doing aerobatics, its always in perfect gear. Its always possible from any mode to flip a flappy paddle and select a gear, tho when not in manual mode it quickly reverts back to auto, so for long hill descents, engine braked, you ned to flip it to manual mode.

Cruising at speed, 70 mph, there is road noise, generated from the tyres. I will be testing a less aggressively shod version to see if its just the low profile tyres.

I left the real hooligan antics till night time. We had a storm that night, it rained like hell, tree branches came down, heavy standing water, the weather was foul. So I took it up to the Surrey Hills, and I caned it round the back roads. Lord this thing handles, perfect balance, If you say meh it doesent have the BMW rear drive feel you are right. There is no RWD feel, there is no FWD feel, there is four paws on the floor all the time feel. I hit a deep stream of water across the road, on a donwhill right left wiggle, at 80mph, It aquaplaned, for a second, in a perfectly balanced four wheel slide to my right, the front and rear staying in line, and having a bit of room I let it. No drama, no bum twitch, just a “hmmmmm” moment. Of course, I am not stupid so stability control was on.

I hammered it round the back roads, the bends and swoops, and it was a joy and delight, despite the horrid road conditions. The main beam is fantastic with perfect visibility, tho shortish and patchy at dip. The auto wipers work seamlessly well.

I took a wrong turn, and had to reverse in a dead end road for a three point turn. Hopeless.
The view through the rear window is too high, and the reversing camera at night with spray over the lens is a splodgy orange mess, the reversing lights are crap, the door mirrors too small, so there is about 6 feet of space behind the boot (huge boot inside) that I had absolutely no idea what was there, not good on a back road with ditches and rocks to catch out the unwary. Reversing was blind faith using only the obstacle sensors, not a reassuring moment.

Get the car home, park it up, turn it off and climb out. I thought the side air vents in the wing behind the wheels were a stick on gimmick. I was rudely informed this was not the case, as my legs were blasted with hot air, as the car sat there, fans roaring, gulping air through the now electrically opened grill vents

Reluctantly I took it back the next morning.

Model         ZM5C   G30 540i xDrive M Sport Saloon B58 3.0i
             Colour        A90    Sophisto Grey Xirallic    Metallic
             Upholstery    LZFI   Ivory White Nappa leather with exclusive
              Option        2QR    20" BMW Ind V-spoke style 759 alloy whee
Option        248    Steering wheel heating
Option        3AG    Reversing Assist camera
Option        4HA    Seat heating. front and rear
Option        4LQ    Poplar Grain Grey interior trim with Pea
Option        4NM    Ambient Air package
Option        4T8    Exterior Mirrors - folding with anti-daz
Option        456    Comfort seats. front
Option        465    Split-folding rear seats
Option        575    12V power sockets
Option        6CP    Apple CarPlay preparation
Package       ZMS    M Sport Plus package
Package       Z0C    Visibility package
Package       Z0J    Technology package
100% N/Req    21P    19" M Double-spoke style 664M alloy wheel

On the road price £58290

Oh, never ever specify the 4LQ Poplar Grain Grey interior trim/

Princess Zero said, and I quote. "It looks like the contents of the dyson under plate glass"

She is right.
Oh I forgot, 23 mpg. Ignore the BMW claims, you will get 23mpg. Even dawdling in eco mode, its 26mpg.
 BMW - BMW G30 540i X Drive M Sport Saloon Test - Hard Cheese
>> Oh I forgot, 23 mpg. Ignore the BMW claims, you will get 23mpg. Even dawdling
>> in eco mode, its 26mpg.
>>

Long runs will see well over 30mpg I reckon, 65/70 on the motorway in eco pro and you'll see 40mpg ish.

>> Long runs will see well over 30mpg I reckon, 65/70 on the motorway in eco
>> pro and you'll see 40mpg ish.

You dont bimble at 65mph in a car like this, and the gauge in eco at 65 mph was saying 28mpg.

You wont get the claimed figures, no way no day Jose.
>>
>> You wont get the claimed figures, no way no day Jose.
>>

What's the claimed MPG? Mine is claimed 37.7 IIRC, I got about dead on that over 460 miles in a day, mix of A road and 80mph motorway. Have seen over 40mpg over 100miles or so of motorway. Locally pottering is about 27/28 ish I guess, overall average well over 30mpg, haven't checked lately.

Actually did west country to your manor Zero last weekend over the Mendips and Salisbury plain, the average was 28mpg when I got to the A303/A360 junction (just west of Stone Henge) and up to 34mpg when I got to destination in Surrey, prob helped by extensive 50 limit on M3.
Last edited by: Hard Cheese on Thu 8 Jun 17 at 12:34
>> >>
>> >> You wont get the claimed figures, no way no day Jose.
>> >>
>>
>> What's the claimed MPG?

37.7 - 38.7 mpg

Not a chance.

edit, its not a deal breaker for me tho
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 8 Jun 17 at 12:39
>> edit, its not a deal breaker for me tho

Prob varies depending on wheel options.

Reckon you'll get that sort of figure on a run.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 8 Jun 17 at 12:54
 BMW - BMW G30 540i X Drive M Sport Saloon Test - DP
>> What's the claimed MPG?

Mine will regularly show low 40s door to door over a long motorway run sticking roughly to speed limits. I'm averaging 29.7 mpg over 4100 miles, but I do like to enjoy the poke quite frequently. Best tankful average is 38 mpg. Worst is 25 mpg.

I can't say I notice turbo lag, although the transmission can be irritatingly slow witted unless in sport mode. In sport mode, it is as responsive and eager as any dual clutch unit though.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 12 Jun 17 at 01:26
>> I can't say I notice turbo lag, although the transmission can be irritatingly slow witted
>> unless in sport mode. In sport mode, it is as responsive and eager as any
>> dual clutch unit though.
>>

I actually prefer the auto in comfort it responds when you want it too though changes up sooner than in sport unless you floor it and then it uses the revs, sport seems to hold one gear higher than you need even when pottering around. Though I use manual the majority of the time I reckon.
>> I actually prefer the auto in comfort it responds when you want it too though
>> changes up sooner than in sport unless you floor it and then it uses the
>> revs, sport seems to hold one gear higher than you need even when pottering around.
>> Though I use manual the majority of the time I reckon.

I also think comfort is the best compromise for normal driving, and the box works exactll as you'd want it to almost all the time. As you say it hangs on to the gears too long in Sport and is a bit too enthusiastic for normal pottering about

The specific issue I'm talking about manifests itsef when approaching a roundabout for example, when you've been off the gas and slowing for a few seconds, then you spot a gap and want to accelerate. The box's logic for whatever reason doesn't seem to anticipate this, and there's an infuriating lag between pressing the throttle, and anything actually happening. The first few times it happened, I found myself pressing harder on the throttle, with predictably alarming consequences when it did decide to wake up.

You can reproduce this really easily. Find a quiet bit of road and settle into a cruise in D / Comfort then slow down gently to about 20 mph, and suddenly boot it. You have a good near-second or so where literally nothing happens. It's as if the transmission's logic expects you to come to a stop, and has to compose itself briefly when faced with a demand for acceleration.

That said, it is a minor quibble with an otherwise outstanding transmission, and one that's easily driven around with familiarity.
>>
>> The specific issue >>

Haven't noticed that, I'll try and replicate it. It does sound a bit like what Zero reports.
That is indeed what I was talking about, Its the "Hold on, do you really want to do this? Sure? ok then take THIS" moment (and it takes about as long as it does to read that)

You can overcome it with a quick flip down with the paddle, so it has to be a program "feature"
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 12 Jun 17 at 16:24
>> That is indeed what I was talking about, Its the "Hold on, do you really
>> want to do this? Sure? ok then take THIS" moment (and it takes about as
>> long as it does to read that)
>>
>> You can overcome it with a quick flip down with the paddle, so it has
>> to be a program "feature"
>>

As I say I'll try and replicate it though haven't noticed it, mines the same gearbox, the N55 engine being the difference. Generally it seems to go like stink an instant after you plant your foot in whatever gear or mode.
 BMW - BMW G30 540i X Drive M Sport Saloon Test - sherlock47
Good review - thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Turbo lag must be a little worrying, (not convinced the electronics have a delay ;), just watch out for buses when pulling into a roundabout from rest!

>> Good review - thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
>>
>> Turbo lag must be a little worrying, (not convinced the electronics have a delay ;),
>> just watch out for buses when pulling into a roundabout from rest!
>>

Its not electronic delay, its a programmed gap in its behaviour. Kind of a "do you really want this" question.
>
>> its a programmed gap in its behaviour. Kind of a "do you really want this" question.
>>

Tis not that, once you are in tune with it it will respond instantly.
>> >> its a programmed gap in its behaviour. Kind of a "do you really want
>> this" question.
>> >>
>>
>> Tis not that, once you are in tune with it it will respond instantly.

it certainly feels like it, I can assure you it exists, and yes you can eliminate it with some pre planning
 BMW - BMW G30 540i X Drive M Sport Saloon Test - rtj70
Perhaps not really comparable, but the 220PS Superb I tried was reluctant to accelerate. If you floored it or stuck it in sport then it would accelerate quite quickly. But any other mode or if you just want fairly quick acceleration and it seemed reluctant to go faster.

In fact, the 1.4TSI engine in the A3 accelerates (without flooring it better). But on full acceleration there's obviously no comparison.

And so the Superb was deliberately making you depress the accelerator more. It's possibly an economy thing but I spotted on Briskoda there's an option you can change with VCDS on VW/Seat/Skoda to put the accelerator in the same setting as it would be in an Audi. So it's either Audi or Seat/Skoda/VW. Then again Audi is the sportier brand in the VW group.
>> And so the Superb was deliberately making you depress the accelerator more. It's possibly an economy thing.

On BMWs sport mode sharpens up the throttle response and if you are in comfort mode at a steady throttle position and switch to sport you get a very slight surge as whatever that position is as a % of throttle opening changes, i.e. it might change from 10% to 12% or similar. Conversely the opposite happens when going from sport to comfort.
Good review though are you buying one?

Not sure about the delay when hitting the gas, I think it's perhaps a matter of getting used to it, i.e. if bimbling in comfort mode it will kick down when you floor it. My M135i has the N55 engine though same gearbox and it has an instant response, I tend to drive in manual much of the time using the paddles on the open road and the lever around town. When in auto I prefer comfort mode as sport tends to use a lower gear than really necessary though it can be configured via iDrive so that sport mode controls chassis only.

>> Good review though are you buying one?

No, thinking of getting the G31 540i xdrive se touring,

>> Not sure about the delay when hitting the gas, I think it's perhaps a matter
>> of getting used to it,

As I said, once you know it exists, you can work round it with preparation.
>> >> Good review though are you buying one?
>>
>> No, thinking of getting the G31 540i xdrive se touring,
>>

That's what I meant, are you buying a 540. I would look seriously at the outgoing F10/F11, some great deals to be had, you could get a virtually new fully loaded 535i Estate for £20k less that a new 540i. It would depreciate a lot less.

tinyurl.com/ybmucd43
I would look seriously at the
>> outgoing F10/F11, some great deals to be had, you could get a virtually new fully
>> loaded 535i Estate for £20k less that a new 540i. It would depreciate a lot
>> less.
>>
>> tinyurl.com/ybmucd43

But its OLD! 7 year old technology!
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 8 Jun 17 at 13:01
 BMW - BMW G30 540i X Drive M Sport Saloon Test - Lygonos
>>No, thinking of getting the G31 540i xdrive se touring,

drivethedeal.com will direct you to a dealer willing to sell you one for £44,108.60

...before you hit the options list.

You can get the 530i variant for 6 grand less.... but it's a turbo 2-litre 4-pot so I doubt you'd be able to reconcile yourself with that after tasting the 6-cyl.

>> You can get the 530i variant for 6 grand less.... but it's a turbo 2-litre
>> 4-pot so I doubt you'd be able to reconcile yourself with that after tasting the
>> 6-cyl.

And no x-Drive option with the 530i
>>And no x-Drive option with the 530i

True, the x-drive is a cherry to encourage sales of the more profitable models.

Plenty of lesser Beemers have x-drive on 4-cyl models.

>> Plenty of lesser Beemers have x-drive on 4-cyl models.
>>

The 5 probably will in due course, it's just that it's X-Drive only on the 540.
 BMW - BMW G30 540i X Drive M Sport Saloon Test - sherlock47
>>> I hit a deep stream of water across the road, on a donwhill right left wiggle, at 80mph, It aquaplaned, for a second, in a perfectly balanced four wheel slide to my right, the front and rear staying in line, and having a bit of room I let it.<<<

Are you sure the supplying dealer will let you have another test drive if he reads this?

What was your excess T&C?
He said "enjoy it" "The excess is £1000"
 BMW - BMW G30 540i X Drive M Sport Saloon Test - legacylad
Did you say in an earlier post that discounts were available? I'm getting zero Zero, and expect mid 20s when I behave
Currently the trip computer on my 1.6 Focus diseasal is showing 68 mpg, that's after four hundred miles from my home around the NY Moors & coast, then a trip to the NW Lakes and a spirited late night run home via the M6 last Sunday
I'd be very interested to hear how you compare the 540 'Z' with a Meccano if you can get your hands on one for a decent test drive.
Last edited by: legacylad on Thu 8 Jun 17 at 13:32

>> I'd be very interested to hear how you compare the 540 'Z' with a Meccano
>> if you can get your hands on one for a decent test drive.
>>

Talking to someone recently with a Pecan who's had a few BMWs and they said that the Porsche V6 is less refined than a typical BMW straight 6, rated the car all in tho ...
Not sure about less refined..... I owned my '04 330 for 6 years and it was a superb engine. Turbine smooth, no Turbo lag, and red lining it through the gears ( it was a manual) from second to fourth when I ran out of nerve was just luvly.
The turbo V6, and 4 WD make it a different beast altogether. Sensible shoes for an old (ish) bloke
>> Did you say in an earlier post that discounts were available? I'm getting zero Zero,

For the £59k list, I can get about 4-6k off.

>> I'd be very interested to hear how you compare the 540 'Z' with a Meccano
>> if you can get your hands on one for a decent test drive.

I'll try, but I am unlikely to get a 24 hour test drive in Meccano.
Zero chance I would say. On my initial test drive I got a 20 minute drive up the old A6 toward Shap, a road I know very well. I had no intention of driving fast, just get a feel for the car at sensible speeds, and used the Eco, Sport & Sport + settings to see how they changed the driving dynamics.
Once they had my deposit they let me out on my own in their GTS demo and asked me to return it before close of business that day. Which I duly did. Regrettably.
 BMW - BMW G30 540i X Drive M Sport Saloon Test - hawkeye
Really enjoyed reading that. Wish I could include a newish 6-cyl BMW in my new car hunt.

But it's discreet, not discrete.
And so to the G31 Touring I had yesterday. A 520d Msport Touring to be precise. It was as the 540I - except where it differed of course.

Power. 520D, considerably and disappointingly slower than the 540, much the same as my Volvo despite it being a much heavier car. Quiet and smooth enough for a diesel inside, but when my lad started it from coldish it sounded like a VW transporter! I got 37.5mpg for the day.

The ride seemed slightly harder than the 540, surprising for the smaller wheels (18inches) probably due to the standard self leveling suspension on the rear, but no crashes into potholes, and comfortable enough.

Handling, no x drive here so I thought, what the hell lets find out about the famous BMW RWD feel. So I mashed it round the wall of death M25 Northbound/M3 Eastbound link. 85mph and it felt distinctly twitchy at the rear.

Fitted with 10 way electric seats they felt a little tight round the seat bottom bolsters, the Comfort seat option that Nooka liked in the 540 is a given for a new car I feel.

Road noise is the same as the 540 on its comedy wheels, ie too high at 70mph plus.

And now for the big difference, the boot. It was loaded up from Costco with a new battery for the Volvo (jeez its heavy), 15 kilo bag of dog food, large tray of Peligrino water, large tray Kirkland still water, large tray of Cokes in glass bottles, all loaded behind the rear wheelbase. Car was as level as it was before, ride and handling exactly the same.

And now the dog cage. The cage that wouldn't go anywhere near fitting in the Volvo V90, FITS (just and much to my surprise) in the Touring. With the seats up.

What a wagon! Thats the decider, Its the Beemer*, all I need to do now is finalise ( currently contracts signed ready for exchange) the house sale, and decide on colour and spec. Probably going to be the G31 540i xdrive with comfort seats, rear shade glass, electric tow bar. Drive the deal has it at a shade under £46k

IMG_20170713_152001256.jpgIMG_20170713_152057902.jpgIMG_20170713_15213
1271.jpg

* Phoned the Jag dealer today for a test in the new XF Sportbrake. "Wont get one to test till middle of September" he says. "Shame, goodbye" says I

Pictures: the-gof-village-pub.freeforums.net/thread/554/bmw-540i-xdrive-sport-saloon?page=1#ixzz4mp1HrPon
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 14 Jul 17 at 16:57
That's a tight fit - but it fits.

If the 520d only did 37mpg and I didn't go to far and could afford it, the 540i would be my choice as well. And if not the 540i I'd opt for a petrol of some kind.

So the test you did at 85mph - did you do similar in the xDrive? If you did I'm assuming it would have been much more stable.
Assume Merc C-Class Estate is out of the running as too small/RWD/it's a Merc - major discounts on DTD currently.

>> Assume Merc C-Class Estate is out of the running as too small/RWD/it's a Merc -
>> major discounts on DTD currently.

C class boot too small for dog. Merc E class tested and rejected. Somehow the driver space seems very cramped, the centre console too high, dash too high, door sides too high, dont like the gear elector being on the column, tho the boot is the largest and most useful by a considerable margin.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 14 Jul 17 at 17:57
 BMW - BMW G30 540i X Drive M Sport Saloon Test - Old Navy
>> the centre console too high, dash too high, door sides too high,

Try sitting on your inferiority complex, your head might just clear the headlining.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 14 Jul 17 at 19:47
>> >> the centre console too high, dash too high, door sides too high,
>>
>> Try sitting on your inferiority complex, your head might just clear the headlining.

What a throughly unappealing, unpleasant, ignorant, sour faced, knob you are. I've seen more pleasant things stuck round my u-bend.
>> What a throughly unappealing, unpleasant, ignorant, sour faced, knob you are. I've seen more pleasant
>> things stuck round my u-bend.
>>

Pot, kettle?

:-))))
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 14 Jul 17 at 20:17
 BMW - BMW G30 540i X Drive M Sport Saloon Test - Duncan
>> Merc E class tested and rejected. Somehow the
>> driver space seems very cramped, the centre console too high, dash too high, door sides
>> too high, dont like the gear elector being on the column, tho the boot is
>> the largest and most useful by a considerable margin.

I think the biggest problem for you is that the E Class is a younger mans car.

>> I think the biggest problem for you is that the E Class is a younger
>> mans car.

Not really, I didn't want to be snobbish and say "The E class is the kind of car you find in an Aldi or Weatherspoon car park"
>> >> I think the biggest problem for you is that the E Class is a younger mans car.
>>
>> Not really, I didn't want to be snobbish and say "The E class is the
>> kind of car you find in an Aldi or Weatherspoon car park"
>>

Trouble is

There is a dearth of Aldi and Wetherspoons car parks in which to park one's E Class.
 BMW - BMW G30 540i X Drive M Sport Saloon Test - sooty123
> I think the biggest problem for you is that the E Class is a younger
>> mans car.
>>

How old do you think he is? He's not ready for the telegram yet!

:-)
>> Power. 520D, considerably and disappointingly slower than the 540, much the same as my Volvo despite it being a much heavier car. Quiet and smooth enough for a diesel inside
>>

To be fair its 150 bhp less, was it an auto or manual?

>> The ride seemed slightly harder than the 540, surprising for the smaller wheels (18inches) probably due to the standard self leveling suspension on the rear, but no crashes into potholes,and comfortable enough.
>>

Unless it had adaptive suspension or the M-Sport suspension delete had been ticked, it would be harder than the SE.

>> Fitted with 10 way electric seats they felt a little tight round the seat bottom
>> bolsters, the Comfort seat option that Nooka liked in the 540 is a given for
>> a new car I feel.
>>

The elec seats sometimes don't go quite as low so if you are tall you might be better off with manual seats.

I thought the 5 series only came with the 8 speed auto. No manual even as an option - not yet anyway.

If he insists on xDrive then it's either a 540i or a 530d. There's only about a grand or so between them. Think I'd go for the petrol but the performance and range of the 530d would be pretty good. Better than the 520d for sure.
I presume the boot area on the Golf estate is not large enough? I suspect so.
A lightly used Golf R estate ( with sunroof) was my second choice. Nice Lapiz blue version at VW Horsham. Understated, unless you know what to look fir, and give a 540 Touring a run for its money.

>> A lightly used Golf R estate ( with sunroof) was my second choice. Nice Lapiz
>> blue version at VW Horsham. Understated, unless you know what to look fir, and give
>> a 540 Touring a run for its money.
>>

Understated? A Golf R, to the contrary, like the S3 the four pipes are totally OTT.
Just thinking, wouldn't it make more sense to choose a car and buy a dog cage to fit the car, rather tham choose a car to fit the dog cage.
>> Just thinking, wouldn't it make more sense to choose a car and buy a dog
>> cage to fit the car, rather tham choose a car to fit the dog cage.
>>
>>

IIRC, he's got a golden retriever so it'll need a fairly big cage, and that's a fixed size unless you want a dog stuffed in like a battery cage hen.

Nice car btw zero, ignoring the dog cage i think Id have gone for the v90, a bit more 'swish' although I'm sure they are both cracking cars.

>> Nice car btw zero, ignoring the dog cage i think Id have gone for the
>> v90, a bit more 'swish' although I'm sure they are both cracking cars.

The V90 was my target car. I thought it looked gorgeous in and out. Then I was horrified to find how impractical the boot is for the size of car. And now in the intervening months, I have started to reconsider its looks, I think it may age quite badly. Having driven both, the BMW knocks spots of it dynamically.
Sad to think Volvo has ignored one of it's log running advantages for estate cars over the years - space. Even your XC70 can take the cage.

Presumably if it fitted with the rear seats folded in the Volvo you'd have considered it. But it sounds like it plainly didn't fit. But in the BMW it not only fits but can fit with the rear seats up.
The V90 was my target car. I thought it looked gorgeous in and out. Then
>> I was horrified to find how impractical the boot is for the size of car.
>> And now in the intervening months, I have started to reconsider its looks, I think
>> it may age quite badly. Having driven both, the BMW knocks spots of it dynamically.
>>
>>

Oh, I've only seen them from afar so to speak, not had a chance to have a good nosey around them.
Maybe so stylish design can often look dated quickly, i wonder how they'll hold up against say a ten year old v70? Which if I'm honest is more my price range but I think they still look like a volvo but don't look old.
 BMW - BMW G30 540i X Drive M Sport Saloon Test - Runfer D'Hills
Pretty much agree with you Sooty, Volvo estates carry their years very well. If ( when? ) I need to buy an old clunker myself, I'll look at those fairly seriously. But, if I can afford/justify/am prepared to risk it, it'll be an old E class. They just seem to fit me like a favourite pair of jeans.
Yes there's something well wearing about an older volvo. I'd like a superb but they aren't that much bigger than an octavia estate, i looked on hj's website. It's something like ~3% bigger by volume but about 5 grand more like for like or as best as I could work out anyway.

Yes i guess the punters like a merc, now it's holiday season i guess you'll be busy with all the bucket and spade runs ;-)
The Superb is a fair bit bigger than the Octavia. Loads of legroom and the bootspace is pretty deep. To reach the rear of the space I'd need to climb in a bit.

Hopefully my Superb SE L Executive arrives in October. Since it's not mine to worry about it will be another (petrol) DSG.
I'll have another look at the stats maybe i was wrong but I do remember thinking that were surprisingly close boot size wise.
Off the top of my head I can't quote figures for the Octavia. With seats in place the Superb hatch as 625 litres and the estate 660 litres. Seats down and this rises to 1760l vs 1950l

Even if the boot space is similar, space in the car for passengers in the Superb is impressive.

Edit: Octavia hatch is 590-litre, and 1,580 litres with seats downs. Estate will be better. So close. But the current Octavia has less passenger space (my aim was to increase this) and the design is not as nice as a Superb IMO. Those silly split headlights are not nice either.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 14 Jul 17 at 23:47
I think the used ones i looked at where 20 litres bigger with the seats up but the equivalent superb was much more expensive. I might well have been wrong but 5k more sticks in my mind. I do remember it being too much money to justify the relatively extra small space.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Fri 14 Jul 17 at 23:53
The Superb feels a much more expensive car than the Octavia. In fact if you put a VW badge on it, you'd be more than happy. Until the price shot up.

My comparison between cars was based on take home pay (company car) but the spec for the Superb is way beyond the equivalent Passat model and is cheaper. It really was an apples and oranges comparison.

And the car I get has everything you probably need as standard and is not the top model. But I did add some extras.
>> The Superb feels a much more expensive car than the Octavia. In fact if you
>> put a VW badge on it, you'd be more than happy. Until the price shot
>> up.
>>
>> My comparison between cars was based on take home pay (company car)

perhaps a different comparison, I was looking at used cars for my own use. Not in the job that a company car is relevant, so I'm looking at least 7 years old. I can't say I noticed a difference between either car in terms of build quality.
The Volvo might indeed be considered more aesthetically pleasing. Scandinavian design often is second to none. But if you are more interested in chucking it into a few corners, then maybe, possibly, even probably, the BMW would reward the keen driver more. I expect I'd enjoy driving a 5 series more than my E Class, but the Merc has a bigger boot, which is specifically important to me, and it is still a very pleasant thing, if less sporty.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Fri 14 Jul 17 at 22:46
>> Just thinking, wouldn't it make more sense to choose a car and buy a dog
>> cage to fit the car, rather tham choose a car to fit the dog cage.
>>

No because the size of cage is dictated by the size of dog. And anyway, its a fine choice of car, cage or not.
Cheddar's question was a little silly I think. Suggesting a smaller cage would mean a smaller car was possible. It's not as if you've got that cage to transport a Chihuahua or a King Charles Spaniel. The cage is that size because of the dog's needs.

Maybe he should have just said get rid of the dog and get a 2 seater sports car. Although he's more likely to say get a BMW 140i ;-)
 BMW - BMW G30 540i X Drive M Sport Saloon Test - tyrednemotional
>> Maybe he should have just said get rid of the dog and get a 2
>> seater sports car. Although he's more likely to say get a BMW 140i ;-)
>>

.....and a hamster.....?
I could get a Jazz, and get a skunk.
Is it a Jazz ON has? Does he have skunk I wonder? Those flip up rear seats in some of the Honda's are really useful too.
 BMW - BMW G30 540i X Drive M Sport Saloon Test - tyrednemotional
>> Is it a Jazz ON has? Does he have skunk I wonder?

......it's just what he tells his passenger (s) when..........
I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get a pair of Yorkies, pink ribbons and all, in the back of Barbies dream car
>> I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get a pair of Yorkies, pink ribbons and all, in the back of Barbies dream car

Look it's the 21st century LL, you don't need to beat yourself up about this, drive it with pride...

;-)
>> Cheddar's question was a little silly I think.>>

Not at all, see my last post in response to Zero.

>> >> Just thinking, wouldn't it make more sense to choose a car and buy a
>> dog
>> >> cage to fit the car, rather tham choose a car to fit the dog
>> cage.
>> >>
>>
>> No because the size of cage is dictated by the size of dog. And anyway,
>> its a fine choice of car, cage or not.
>>

Absolutely, it is a fine choice of car, though I thought that if there is a suitable cage of different proportions it migjt open up your choice of car.

>> Absolutely, it is a fine choice of car, though I thought that if there is
>> a suitable cage of different proportions it migjt open up your choice of car.

I could get nearly any estate car, a barjo rear cage door and separator made for it, and use the whole of the boot. However I like, no, need to have a proportion of the boot for other dog stuff, and dogs are smelly muddy wet animals best kept in a cage so they dont deposit smell into the car soft furnishings.

Therefore a self contained cage. The size of which is determined by said smelly dog.

I can assure you this is well thought out, this has been 10 months in the planning my mouldy foodstuff friend.
Oh and the cage meets the standard for IATA animal transport, size wise. You may think that is overkill, but at a dog show last week. I did have the chief show steward query the cage size, fortunately I was able to produce the IATA regs and diagram, with the measurements of my dog.
 BMW - BMW G30 540i X Drive M Sport Saloon Test - Bobby
Out of curiosity, is the dog cage purely for security of the dog whilst travelling?

Must admit I am bad - have never had the dog strapped in , in any shape or form, in the car.

Ironically in the Civic I prefer lifting the magic seats and have him in the rear footwells rather than the boot. Feel he is safer there. Often feel that if in an accident, there is a good chance that it would be a shunt and wouldnt want him in the boot if something runs into the back of me.
>> Out of curiosity, is the dog cage purely for security of the dog whilst travelling?

One of the requirements, yes. But not just for the dog, at the end of the day you dont want 20 kilos or more flying round the car in a rollover, it wont do you a power of good.
The cage is crash tested, with an escape hatch at both ends. Crash tested in that the door wont open in the event of a rear shunt, with the dog leaping out of the popped out rear window into the path of a lorry.

The other thing as described above is to keep the smelly animal in its own bio hazard bubble. Don't get me wrong she is a lovely good looking sweet natured animal, but loves to jump into bogs or drained canals.
MMM I feel like a naughty parent now.........
Another advantage is you can lock the dog in the cage, and leave the rear hatch open for air cooling and ventilation while you pop into the garden centre for your tea and tea cake, knowing it wont get nicked
Thats interesting - I would never dream of going out for the day with the dog and going anywhere that he couldn't come.
As a child we would go to the beach with the neighbours kids and labrador. In their Volvo estate. More children than seats so some of us would be in the boot area. Dog not secure either. How expectations of safety have changed :-)

After my rear shunt by a tanker driver in 2006 I won't drive too small/short a car. It's not too surprising how much damage such a tanker lorry can do to smaller cars. Which is why I also wouldn't drive a car with 7 seats whereby some of them are in the boot.
 BMW - BMW G30 540i X Drive M Sport Saloon Test - No FM2R
>> It's not too surprising how much damage such a tanker lorry can do to smaller cars

Once I was driving a Nissan SUV and hit the back of a stationery Subaru estate. Entirely my fault, and I was doing no more than 20kph, and I made it all the way through the back of the car into the back seats.

Rather sobering.
In the Ford Fiesta hire car's defence, it held up well. But if I was 2 inches taller I'd have probably been killed. So the new cars like this 5 series are so much safer places to be.
Appreciating that I live in a slightly different environment, the dogs used to pretty much live their lives out and about with me, inevitably meaning that sometimes i was somewhere they couldn't be.

For the most part, the odd hour here or there in the car seemed preferable to being alone for the day.

I assume the dogs agreed, since the car with its back open tended to be one of their favourite places to sleep, even when parked at home.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 15 Jul 17 at 00:19
Also, I have never put the dogs in a cage, though if they were travelling in the back of the Ram (a pick-up) then their leads were fastened to prevent them jumping out.

I feel guilty that I never considered what would happen in the event of a significant accident.
My lab has a habit of "pointing" his nose at the boot of the car when it's in the driveway.
Open the boot and he will jump in and happily lie there for hours watching the world go by.
Occasionally he might let out the quietest of growl if a visitor comes down the driveway.

We have a gravel driveway and at night he barks loudly if there is strange footsteps on the drive. My son can come in at middle of the night o'clock and he won't let out a murmur. But if there is anyone with him he will bark the place down.
 BMW - BMW G30 540i X Drive M Sport Saloon Test - PeterS
BMWs are generally pretty well specc'ed nowadays, but if not standard I'd consider adding comfort access (as they all have keyless start anyway), adaptive headlights (if you do much driving at night) and auto dipping headlights which work very well indeed IME. And the standard BMW audio is usually a bit average; after market upgrade options, other than speakers, can be tricky in some models if they have 'active sound' (software enhanced engine sound basically)

It'll be a nice car; I already see a reasonable number of the new 5 series on the roads down here :)
>> BMWs are generally pretty well specc'ed nowadays, but if not standard I'd consider adding comfort access >>

I would disagree, as they have keyless start anyway comfort access offers little, it simply saves clicking the remote, though is apparently less secure. And if you want you mirrors to fold upon locking you need to click the remote anyway (though this might vary from model to model).

>> adaptive headlights (if you do much driving at night) and auto dipping headlights which work very well indeed IME.

Agreed totally!

And adaptive suspension is well worthwhile though I would try to drive the various options, SE, M-Sport, SE adaptive, M-Sport adaptive etc.
The 520 loaner on Thursday had comfort access, and although the easy boot opening* would be useful, the rest of the pack is not worth the cost - £1995.

*boot opening is a bit of a faff till you suss it out. Move close, wave foot under bumper, take two steps back, boot raises. The sequence is required so the boot does not give you a left hook under the chin because you are too close.

Adaptive headlights not required, and I can dip my own lights thank you.

As far as trying out all the model/suspension combos its simply not realistic. Adaptive suspension is £2.5k and really isn't required, the standard ride and handling is more than good enough.

Stereo? Outrageous prices for upgrade when the basic one is good enough.

Don't get carried away here guys, dabling in the BMW options list is a serious wallet damaging exercise.
>>
>> Don't get carried away here guys, dabling in the BMW options list is a serious
>> wallet damaging exercise.
>>

Of course that's undoubtedly a risk, and you must already be in for almost £3k of extras (before discount) with the seats, towbar and privacy glass. Our job is to highlight all the other lovely things you could spend your money on!!

>> Of course that's undoubtedly a risk, and you must already be in for almost £3k
>> of extras (before discount) with the seats, towbar and privacy glass.

Extended storage 418 ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ £295
Sun protection glass 420 ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ £345
Towbar, fully electric 3AC ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ £855
Comfort seats, front 456 ○ - ○ - ○ - ○ - ○ - ○ - ○ - ○ - £1,705
 BMW - BMW G30 540i X Drive M Sport Saloon Test - Roger.
All this talk of buying cars for figures that would get one a house oop here! (Or at least half of a tidy one!). How the other half lives, eh?
Still, no debts, yet!
Here I am, having just booked a combined MOT & service for £190, wondering, as I've just taxed it for £135, if I should splash out another £45 or so for a Honda CVT fluid, hoping I can get a drain and refill rolled into the service cost which allows for just a top up if needed.. Ums and ahs later - yes: its two years since it was done and there IS a slight Honda CVT judder, so worth it. Ordered.
There's bound to be more work for an MOT on a 15 year old car, so fingers crossed.
>> All this talk of buying cars for figures that would get one a house oop
>> here! (Or at least half of a tidy one!). How the other half lives, eh?
>> Still, no debts, yet!
>>
>>

The forum has become a wallet waving competition, my Jazz has many of the expensive options mentioned fitted as standard.

Irrelevant to most, no wonder we have so few active posters.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 15 Jul 17 at 18:10

>> Adaptive headlights not required, and I can dip my own lights thank you.
>>

>> Don't get carried away here guys, dabling in the BMW options list is a serious
>> wallet damaging exercise.

It's not very often down here in The Deep South that the roads are quiet enough at night to allow full beam without dazzling drivers coming the other way.

MB options can be eye watering as well.
>>
>> Adaptive headlights not required, and I can dip my own lights thank you.
>>

It works brilliantly though, you just switch it on and drive with no concern over dipping yourself or dazzling oncoming vehicles ...

>> As far as trying out all the model/suspension combos its simply not realistic. Adaptive suspension is £2.5k and really isn't required, the standard ride and handling is more than good enough.
>>

No doubt though again adaptive works brilliantly and the press rate it on the new 5er - though I am not sure I would pay £2.5k for it on an SE, perhaps on an M-Sport where the std is quite firm.

>> Stereo? Outrageous prices for upgrade when the basic one is good enough.
>>

Agreed.

>> >> BMWs are generally pretty well specc'ed nowadays, but if not standard I'd consider adding
>> comfort access >>
>>
>> I would disagree, as they have keyless start anyway comfort access offers little, it simply
>> saves clicking the remote, though is apparently less secure. And if you want you mirrors
>> to fold upon locking you need to click the remote anyway (though this might vary
>> from model to model).
>>

I look at it the other way round; since you have to take the key out of your pocket to unlock the car, keyless start is pointless! And from memory it was 'only' £300ish pounds; the convenience of just being able to walk up and open the car is worth that to me! But, just shows how everyone wants different things :)
>> I look at it the other way round; since you have to take the key
>> out of your pocket to unlock the car, keyless start is pointless! And from memory
>> it was 'only' £300ish pounds; the convenience of just being able to walk up and
>> open the car is worth that to me! But, just shows how everyone wants different
>> things :)
>>
At home I simply point it at the car from the house before putting the keys in my pocket and otherwise will generally put my hand into my pocket to push the unlock or lock button. Having had a couple of keyless cars I actually prefer to be in charge on this and then there are the reports of the keyless signal being replicated by scumbags ...

>> At home I simply point it at the car from the house before putting the
>> keys in my pocket and otherwise will generally put my hand into my pocket to
>> push the unlock or lock button. Having had a couple of keyless cars I actually
>> prefer to be in charge on this and then there are the reports of the
>> keyless signal being replicated by scumbags ...

Yep, I didn't spec Comfort Access on the M140i because I consider it to be a security risk. The key's signal can be picked up while in a pocket or a bag (or even on a key hook near a front door), boosted, and relayed to the car with cheap kit readily available on the internet while the perp simply pulls the door handle to gain access.

It's no big deal to lock and unlock from the remote as normal. The key always stays in my pocket

>> At home I simply point it at the car from the house before putting the
>> keys in my pocket and otherwise will generally put my hand into my pocket to
>> push the unlock or lock button. Having had a couple of keyless cars I actually
>> prefer to be in charge on this and then there are the reports of the
>> keyless signal being replicated by scumbags ...
>>

Perhaps I notice it more because the Audi has full comfort access and the BMW only keyless start, but it just seems like half a job to me. Should have plundered the options list...and I only have myself to blame because I knew that's how it worked! Horses for courses though :)

I'm not convinced by the security implications though; the BMW can be unlocked from my phone anyway using the BMW Connected app, which helpfully lets you flash the headlights from anywhere in the world ;) Interestingly the Audi app doesn't even allow the car to opened remotely
>> I'm not convinced by the security implications though; the BMW can be unlocked from my
>> phone anyway using the BMW Connected app, which helpfully lets you flash the headlights from
>> anywhere in the world ;) Interestingly the Audi app doesn't even allow the car to
>> opened remotely

You can disable this from an iDrive menu, IIRC
 BMW - BMW G30 540i X Drive M Sport Saloon Test - Auntie Lockbrakes
Am I missing something here, or has Mitsubishi got this keyless entry malarkey sussed..?

On SWMBO's Outlander, the key stays in your pocket at all times, and you simply touch a little rubber nipple on the doorhandle to unlock and open the car. Then just push the start button. Job jobbed!
 BMW - BMW G30 540i X Drive M Sport Saloon Test - R.P.
e key stays in your pocket at all times, and you simply touch a little rubber nipple

More or less the same on a BMW. Wave your foot under the rear bumper and the tailgate opens
 BMW - Euro Ncap test video - Zero
www.euroncap.com/en/results/bmw/5-series/26656
 BMW - Euro Ncap test video - Lygonos
Looks like an excellent choice of car to walk out in front of!
 BMW - Euro Ncap test video - legacylad
I haven't looked at the new 5 series Touring, but assume it will be a lovely motor.
My brother came into ££ when our Aunt died. I'm blowing all of mine on a flash car ( no regrets whatsoever) and he wants a 4wd, petrol, auto estate so the 540ix Touring sounds perfect.
He has owned 3 Subarus in years past... I bought one when he had finished with it, and has a soft spot for them.
Yesterday he took a Subaru Le Vorg ( I'd never heard of it until he told me) for a test drive and thought it 'brilliant'.
He's shopping around for the best price on a new one
 BMW - Euro Ncap test video - Hard Cheese
>> >> Yesterday he took a Subaru Le Vorg ( I'd never heard of it until he
>> told me) for a test drive and thought it 'brilliant'.
>>

I wonder how he'd describe a 540i, or 340i or Macan etc ...
 BMW - Euro Ncap test video - rtj70
Like Zero I don't get the point of paying extra for auto dipping of main beam. But I do get adaptive lights with LED matrix technology to fully illuminate ahead as much as possible. Thus only dimming the bits that need dimming.

Skoda's Superb has a smart light option. It looks expensive but comes with the blind spot monitoring (also checks when you're reversing out of a space) and lane assist so it's sort of only £100. The smart lighting blanks off part of the main beam (bi-xenon). So a car ahead (in front or oncoming) will not be blinded but the rest of the road is fully lit.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuWk7NbpiNw
 BMW - Euro Ncap test video - R.P.
The 335 has auto-dipping, pointless around here really. You can safely drive around on main beam as there is so little traffic around and dip manually when you see it.

Car's doing fine. Just invested in one of these:
www.transk9.com/

Fits perfectly into the back of the Touring as it was designed to do so.

Just found that the sound system automatically records the contents of a CD onto its hard disk. Must get round to reading the manual. :-)
>> www.transk9.com/
>>

Mine is one of these www.safedog.co.uk
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 15 Jul 17 at 17:10
From that website, some crates descriptions say: "Large crate for large dog! This crate is too large for most vehicles."

I wonder what the returns policy is? ;-)
>> From that website, some crates descriptions say: "Large crate for large dog! This crate is
>> too large for most vehicles."
>>
>> I wonder what the returns policy is? ;-)

I went to the distributor nr Biggin Hill to size, buy and fit the crate.
>> Like Zero I don't get the point of paying extra for auto dipping of main
>> beam. But I do get adaptive lights with LED matrix technology to fully illuminate ahead
>> as much as possible. Thus only dimming the bits that need dimming.
>>

Agreed re LED though the BMW high beam assist does work brilliantly, it's a real safety aid as it optimises the illuminated area and avoids dazzling oncoming cars etc.
Sounds like the Skoda one which I'm surprised is not on other VW Group cars. Although they are moving over to LED headlights. I shudder to think how expensive replacing such headlight units would be in an accident.

The Passat comes with LED headlights on some models but adaptive is at extra cost. They are not matrix LED.
>> Sounds like the Skoda one which I'm surprised is not on other VW Group cars.
>> Although they are moving over to LED headlights. I shudder to think how expensive replacing such headlight units would be in an accident.
>>
>> The Passat comes with LED headlights on some models but adaptive is at extra cost.
>> They are not matrix LED.
>>

The 2015 facelift 1-Series feature LED as std on some models though adaptive + high beam assist is an option. The 2015 facelift 3-Series/M3 also features LED lights, as does the 4er/M4 and 2er/M2 since their recent facelifts, all used Xenon before. the new 5er is LED, not entirely sure about the rest of the range. Though LED has/is replacing Xenon.
 BMW - Euro Ncap test video - PeterS

>> Agreed re LED though the BMW high beam assist does work brilliantly, it's a real
>> safety aid as it optimises the illuminated area and avoids dazzling oncoming cars etc.
>>

Auto dipping headlights were only £95 on my 2016 2 series IIRC, and adaptive lights £300~ £400. Xenon not LED. I don't do enough night driving to warrant the adaptive lights, though on the Merc and F10 5 series they were very good. Our A3 has LED dipped/mainbeam lights, and while they are even whiter than the xenons of the BMW they also seem to have a softer cut-off, which I think I prefer. The A3s xenons have headlamp ways, I'm not convinced the BMWs xenons do, though I thought it was a requirement? Can't remember ever seeing them operate!

>> Auto dipping headlights were only £95 on my 2016 2 series IIRC, and adaptive lights
>> £300~ £400. Xenon not LED. I don't do enough night driving to warrant the adaptive
>> lights, though on the Merc and F10 5 series they were very good.
>>

My 2015 M135i is the facelift version so has LED rather than Xenon, IIRC you have to have Adaptive LED headlights to be able to have the high beam assist which works brilliantly. The 2-Series has also been facelifted this year so now features LED rather than Xenon.

Xenons apparently need a wash system if the dip beam is over 2000 lumens though the later systems use more efficient lenses so are more effective despite being theoretically less powerful. Perhaps the same applies to LED.
Funny thing is HC he's looking after his sons 330 ( my old car) whilst he is on Falklands duty. It is an '04, but I'd still prefer that straight 6 to the 1.6 in the Subaru. In 3 months time we shall both have our new cars, although I suspect I'll favour the German SUV despite its girlie and hairdresser to the stars position in life.
 BMW - Badged or.... - Zero
The de-badge option.

Do you go for Starship Enterprise mode 540i x-drive

or

Klingon Warbird mode

Whats the general consensus, Flaunt it, or pretend to be a sales manager company car.
 BMW - Badged or.... - tyrednemotional
....don't take any notice of Runfer....... He'll tell you to put a Merc badge on it......
 BMW - Badged or.... - rtj70
The back of the car will tell anyone it isn't a 520d from the exhausts.
 BMW - Badged or.... - Old Navy
>> The back of the car will tell anyone it isn't a 520d from the exhausts.
>>

Do you mean anyone who cares ? I doubt if Zeros dog bothering buddies go around the car park counting exhaust pipes.
 BMW - Badged or.... - Manatee
>>The back of the car will tell anyone it isn't a 520d from the exhausts

Not anyone, just the typical BMW company car driver who always seems to have a precise knowledge of all the minute variations between models and refers to them by code numbers rather than model names:)

De-badge and dateless plate.
 BMW - Badged or.... - Zero
The 520 has two round exhausts, the 540 has two only slightly larger ovoid exhausts. You need to be pretty anal to tell them apart.
 BMW - Badged or.... - Hard Cheese
DONT DEBADGE, there is no advantage at all in debadging a 540i.

Mostly you can tell from spec, wheels, exhaust anyway though there are some specs that are perhaps worth debadging, maybe a 320d or 320i as they now have twin exhausts. Though I think I would always order with as I could remove myself if I wanted to.

A dateless plate is a good idea, it's early in the model's life and could he perceived as new for a good while.
 BMW - Badged or.... - Old Navy
>> DONT DEBADGE,
>>

It is in the same vanity league as a prat plate.
 BMW - Badged or.... - Manatee

>> A dateless plate is a good idea, it's early in the model's life and could
>> he perceived as new for a good while.

The opposite mindset to me. I don't like appearing to have a new car. Irrational I know, I shouldn't care.
 BMW - Badged or.... - PeterS
My gut feel would be to leave it as it comes as standard, badges fitted. But BMW badging has been getting much less subtle over the last few years, with a proliferation of ///M and x-drive badges on the rear and even sides of some cars. So I can understand why you would debadge, just to reduce the clutter! Especially on a dark coloured car.
>> Funny thing is HC he's looking after his sons 330 ( my old car) whilst
>> he is on Falklands duty. It is an '04, but I'd still prefer that straight
>> 6 to the 1.6 in the Subaru. In 3 months time we shall both have
>> our new cars, although I suspect I'll favour the German SUV despite its girlie and
>> hairdresser to the stars position in life.
>>

Macan or Levorg, hmm ...

;-)
Unless a car is a brand new model, private plates usually suggest the car is older and that bother's the owner. It wouldn't bother me.

VW cars at the moment are adopting the larger chrome exhaust surround in the bumper. Usually if you look it's a normal exhaust behind one side (might be both on some models). It's just trim. Some Audi's and Mercedes certainly do the same.
I was told off by the Doctor for suggesting a de-badge on mine. Mind you the massive discs and Msport callipers are little bit of a giveaway that this is no re-mobile...
Private plates need some taste and care to be carried off. Lot of dog folk have very expensive K9 plates on the most horrid of vans, does not appear to be anything like a vanity plate, just an expression of interest. I have my eye on a plate, its not expensive, would mean nothing to anyone who does not know my dog, and costs the grand sum of 285 quid!
 BMW - Euro Ncap test video - Old Navy
I suspect that 90odd % of people don't notice or care about a debadge or prat plate. The odd few that do know exactly what is being disguised. Anyone must lead a sad existence to believe that anyone cares what anyone else drives. Just drive it and enjoyed it, no one else cares ! The M25 won't part like the red sea for anything that does not have blue lights, and then reluctantly. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 16 Jul 17 at 20:22
 BMW - Euro Ncap test video - Manatee
>>Anyone must
>> lead a sad existence to believe that anyone cares what anyone else drives.

Absolutely. It's human nature to be pleased and proud of one's new car and by extension think that it will be admired by all, as it is by the new proud owner. A moment's thought brings the realisation that it is not the case.
>> >>Anyone must
>> >> lead a sad existence to believe that anyone cares what anyone else drives.
>>
>> Absolutely. It's human nature to be pleased and proud of one's new car and by
>> extension think that it will be admired by all, as it is by the new
>> proud owner. A moment's thought brings the realisation that it is not the case.
>>

I disagree, I notice well specified, tasteful, well looked after and well driven cars, be they a ten year old Fiesta or a brand new 5-Series. And I a sure others do as well.
>> I disagree, I notice well specified, tasteful, well looked after and well driven cars, be
>> they a ten year old Fiesta or a brand new 5-Series. And I a sure
>> others do as well.
>>

Most of us would, but by frequenting motoring forums and websites we are self declared motoring enthusiasts / anoraks / geeks or at least have an interest. We are a tiny minority of the motoring public.
Quite so. I have several friends with no interest in cars & motoring whatsoever. Two of them drive fairly new Golf Tdis. They both took them in for the 'software update' and within weeks had lots of engine problems, and in both cases needed new EGRs out of warranty.
Neither had heard of the issues so widely talked about in motoring media.
snipquote!
>> Most of us would, but by frequenting motoring forums and websites we are self declared
>> motoring enthusiasts / anoraks / geeks or at least have an interest. We are a
>> tiny minority of the motoring public.
>>

Agreed, though in respect of the de-badging point I have friends with no real interest in cars though would still like people to know that they drive a 320 rather than 318 etc.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 17 Jul 17 at 12:23
 BMW - Euro Ncap test video - commerdriver
>> Agreed, though in respect of the de-badging point I have friends with no real interest
>> in cars though would still like people to know that they drive a 320 rather
>> than 318 etc.
>>
As has already been said, 90% of people don't care, the 10% don't need a badge to tell them what sort of BMW / VW / Audi etc it is. If they want to know, the exhausts / wheels / grille etc give plenty clues
>> As has already been said, 90% of people don't care, the 10% don't need a
>> badge to tell them what sort of BMW / VW / Audi etc it is.
>> If they want to know, the exhausts / wheels / grille etc give plenty clues
>>

I disagree, 10% ish might really want to know as enthusiasts, a further 20% might be able to tell in many cases though not every combo is decipherable from wheels, trim etc, and of the rest a large number, despite no real interest in cars, would still like people to know what they drive for status reasons.

So all in all much more than 50% have a good reason for having badging on cars.
 BMW - Badge of Honour - Manatee
I'm so disappointed, more so than I can articulate, that none of our cars has its engine designation on the boot lid.

Perhaps it's just an aspect of marketing for cars that commonly feature in company car hierarchies. Ford were always credited with being at the leading edge of this: the lesser spotted base model: the L, so even the lowliest junior salesman would have some badge of status: the GL for his more senior colleague, and so on.

I once saw job application from somebody who didn't mention a salary but specified that he required a 2 litre car!

I did once have a 318i as a company car, no choice in the matter. It came with a badge, that I left on.

Next, mud flaps - to flap, or not to flap?
 BMW - Euro Ncap test video - sooty123
> So all in all much more than 50% have a good reason for having badging
>> on cars.
>>
>>

i think that's extremely optimistic.
 BMW - Euro Ncap test video - Duncan
>> snipquote!

What is the big problem with quoting someone else's post?

All the other forums I use don't have a problem with it, so why is such a big deal on here?
>> What is the big problem with quoting someone else's post?

It sets vxfans OCD off.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 19 Jul 17 at 01:32
 BMW - Euro Ncap test video - VxFan
>> What is the big problem with quoting someone else's post?
>>
>> All the other forums I use don't have a problem with it, so why is
>> such a big deal on here?

There is a polite message asking you to summarise what you quote, so why continue to quote it in full? What other requests do you ignore, and why?

Most people don't want to wade through what's already been written again, just to see a short sentence reply. Just quote the relevant bit and stop being so damn lazy. It's not rocket science.
 BMW - Euro Ncap test video - tyrednemotional
>> There is a polite message asking you to summarise what you quote, so why continue
>> to quote it in full?

...could you not, in this case, only have "quoted" the first sentence?

;-) (but only just!)l
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Mon 17 Jul 17 at 22:06
 BMW - Euro Ncap test video - Duncan

>> There is a polite message asking you to summarise what you quote, so why continue
>> to quote it in full? What other requests do you ignore, and why?

Why is it such a big deal on this forum and this forum only?

I normally comply with requests, but it would be good if there a solid reason for the request.

Why are you the only moderator that gets so uptight about it? The others don't seem to bother.
Last edited by: Duncan on Tue 18 Jul 17 at 08:26
>> but it would be good if there a solid reason
>> for the request.
>>

If I could say politely that there cannot be many good reasons for it these days, server space and bandwidth are not good reasons any more.

And this place needs more visitors so therefore also needs fewer deterrents ...
 BMW - Euro Ncap test video - VxFan
>> Why are you the only moderator that gets so uptight about it?

Why are you getting so uptight over a simple request? Why can't you do what both the site and moderator asks?

Do you question moderators requests on other forums too or are you only out to cause trouble here?
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 18 Jul 17 at 12:03
>> I suspect that 90odd % of people don't notice or care about a debadge or
>> prat plate.
>>

What's a prat plate ON? If you mean a private plate and that you have no time for private plate owners then why not simply say so rather than repeat such a crass comment ...

I reckon a tasteful plate on a 540i would be great.
 BMW - Euro Ncap test video - PeterS

>>
>> I reckon a tasteful plate on a 540i would be great.
>>

It's coming in September isn't it? DO6 7OYSshould do it ;)
> What's a prat plate ON? If you mean a private plate and that you have
>> no time for private plate owners then why not simply say so rather than repeat
>> such a crass comment ...

I'm not sure it's crass but either way, he's right most people won't notice or care if badges are added or removed or you buy a different number plate.
>>What is a prat plate ON?

A registration plate which means nothing to anyone other than the owner, often altered and illegal. I have one, when I bought my car the dealer noticed that one of his batch of registrations had the last three letters matching my initials. He allocated it to my car, it means nothing to me or anyone else and will go when the car is sold.
>> I have one, when I bought my car the dealer noticed that one of
>> his batch of registrations had the last three letters matching my initials.

Now you know why he calls it a prat plate.
Predictable.
no, thats too big to fit on a plate.
 BMW - Pr*t Plate - tyrednemotional
>>when I bought my car the dealer noticed that one of
>> his batch of registrations had the last three letters matching my initials. He allocated it
>> to my car, it means nothing to me.......and will go when
>> the car is sold.
>>

xx nn SOB ....??

...you could always pass it on to Z

;-)
 BMW - Pr*t Plate - Old Navy
Z could not handle a registration as old as a 16 plate. Oh the shame in the dog botherers car park. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 16 Jul 17 at 22:52
 BMW - Euro Ncap test video - Bobby
Turn it the other way round.
If car, by default, came with no badges and the dealer said that they could stick badges to your brand new paintwork to let others know which version you had, what would your reaction be??
Some would probably pay to have them stuck on, most not I'd guess.
And pay even more for a badge upgrade. The manufacturers badge engineer already.

I don't think I will get a V8 badge for the back of my Jazz, I might get rearended by someone daft enough to believe it. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 17 Jul 17 at 08:14
 BMW - Euro Ncap test video - Pat
It does on the V90 as well.

Pat
That is a lovely car - I eyed one up at the local dealer..
Stupid question time Zero, what size of engine is in that?

I remember many years ago the last two digits of a BMW were the engine size, then they muddied the waters with the 316 and 318 I think?

So I assumed a 540 was 4 litre but according to your link there isnt a 4 litre, only a 3 or 4.4?

>> So I assumed a 540 was 4 litre but according to your link there isnt
>> a 4 litre, only a 3 or 4.4?
>>

It's not straightforward anymore, a 540i is a 3ltr turbo, a 530i is a 2.0 turbo though a 530d is a 3.0 td ...
>> Stupid question time Zero, what size of engine is in that?

520d is a 2.0 litre 4 cyl diesel
530i is a 2.0 litre 4 cyl petrol
530d is a 3.0 litre 6 cyl diesel
540i is a 3.0 litre 6cyl petrol

And all this time I thought the 550 was a 5.5 litre engine but its "only" a 4.4?

A friend has a B5 Alpina , think it is a couple of models ago, wonder whats in that - sounds wonderful whatever it is!
>> >> Stupid question time Zero, what size of engine is in that?
>>
>> 520d is a 2.0 litre 4 cyl diesel
>> 530i is a 2.0 litre 4 cyl petrol
>> 530d is a 3.0 litre 6 cyl diesel
>> 540i is a 3.0 litre 6cyl petrol
>>
>>

It's more to do with output these days, petrol or diesel, roughly:

-16 100 to 120 bhp
-18 130 to 150
-20 180/190 ish
-25 225 ish
-30 250 to 270
-35/-40 300 to 340

Zero, my brother really liked his test drive in the 1.6 LeVorg so will probably buy a new one.... I think it will be around the £30k mark. They don't sell many, or maybe they don't import many? I have no idea on residuals, but could you get a 540ix SE Touring either new or an ex demo for around £50k?
Just wondering
I'm sure the Subaru is well engineered and screwed together, as my previous Legacy estates were, but a 1.6 hauling a fairly heavy car and with 4WD and CVT transmission would probably feel rather lethargic for my own taste.
>> Zero, my brother really liked his test drive in the 1.6 LeVorg so will probably
>> buy a new one.... I think it will be around the £30k mark.

You can get so much for that, say a 6 month old 335d Touring, and 5 mins later it will still be worth IRO £30k when the Levorg will loose a packet just driving off the forecourt.

>>They don't sell many, or maybe they don't import many? >>

There's probably a good reason for that, demand ...
It's gotta be a petrol. Lots of short journeys. And 4WD & auto.
>> It's gotta be a petrol. Lots of short journeys. And 4WD & auto.
>>

320i X-Drive Touring.

>> Just wondering

The Levorg gets a reet slating in the press test drives. TBH an x-drive BMW would be wasted on him and probably not for his needs, Get him to look at the Seat Ateca, everyone is raving about it.
 BMW - BMW G30 540i X Drive M Sport Saloon Test - Manatee
>> Zero, my brother really liked his test drive in the 1.6 LeVorg so will probably
>> buy a new one.... I think it will be around the £30k mark.

If the mission is to get what you want, using a windfall, it doesn't matter. I had imagined the Levorg to be a bit cheaper but I read that it is a Legacy estate substitute.

www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/subaru/levorg

I'd ignore the review rating - it's a Subaru, not made for reviewers.

It is well equipped I gather, and it is undeniably something different. The CVT might put me off a bit if I dwelt on it.

I've always liked Subarus and nearly bought one a couple of times.The nearest I came was when choosing a company car in IIRC 1993, when a Legacy 4 cam turbo estate fell within my eligibility criteria. I asked them to order one, and after a bit of consideration they said "No - too high risk!". That was a quick car in the day.
He should take a Forester XT out for a whirl.

More car for the same £.

And before he says "Oooh it's too big" - it's actually 2 or 3 inches shorter than the grovel and about the same width.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 17 Jul 17 at 19:39
It was another car that was considered. New dealer down the road. I was actually standing next to one when BMW phoned me to finalize the deal on the 335.
Was at Dick Lovett, Bristol today, they have two 530d Tourings, one in the showroom and one pre-reg, the latter at £41k looks like a reasonable discount.
BMW are discounting most models hard from what I can see; getting 15% + off a new 5 series seems to be where the brokers are at the moment. Assuming a 530d with a few extras is somewhat north of £50k, it meight be preferable to order new to your specification...if that's what you were thinking of buying of course ;)

Edited to add, coast2coast cars will do you a no options 530d M Sport Touring (not x-drive) for £41,379, an £8,926 discount. I make that 17.8% off. Probably tied to manufacturers finance, but settle after 30 days and it'll cost you, what, 1/12th of 5% of £20k. £83. A tank of diesel :p
Last edited by: PeterS on Mon 24 Jul 17 at 20:33
Yeah 15% seems achievable from what I can see. And yes they are all tied to taking manufacturers finance deals. I'll probably go for a PCP
Autocar review:

tinyurl.com/y7yw3dl2

Interesting verdict.
There doesn't appear to be much legroom in the back of the BMW and the Mercedes - are they really that bad?

And "adaptive suspension a must have"? How bad can the ordinary suspension be?

Of those three, I'd have the Volvo, although I haven't a dog cage to fit in! Probably the most reliable too, if long term.
We popped to the local dealer today. Very nice 435d convertible an M3 and M2...I'm keeping away now.
>> There doesn't appear to be much legroom in the back of the BMW and the
>> Mercedes - are they really that bad?

No, the photos do them a misjustice, there is ample room in the back of both, tho it has to be said, so much space in the back of the Volvo that its probably wasted. The Volvo is a BIG car.

>> And "adaptive suspension a must have"? How bad can the ordinary suspension be?

As my two reports indicate, pretty good by luxo barge standards. I was in two minds about specifying adaptive suspension, but everything I have read its too good to leave off.

>> Of those three, I'd have the Volvo, although I haven't a dog cage to fit
>> in! Probably the most reliable too, if long term.

Volvo have been having electric and electronic issues with the new platform. If the boot had not been severely compromised by the excessively sloping tailgate I would probably have been sitting in the Volvo dealer this morning.

As it is I have just left the BMW dealer having ordered:

G31 540i xDrive SE Touring. Atlas Cedar Metalic, with Canberra Beige leather.
Options
Electronic Damper Control
Electric Folding Towbar
Extended Luggage features
Sun Protection Glass
Comfort Seats Front
Folding Anti Dazzle exterior mirrors
Remote Services
additional 12v sockets.

Negotiated a 17.9% discount off list price.

Delivery is Mid November

Last edited by: Zero on Mon 21 Aug 17 at 12:15
Well done!

Could be worth registering it in Jan re residules.
Discount is dependent on First registration in 2017, have taken it on a PCP (as it is cheeper this way)
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 21 Aug 17 at 12:36
>> as it is cheeper this way
>>

Are you sure - when I got initial quotes for a 3-Series touring (based on a 328i) as a cash purchase or PCP (before deciding to pay cash and buying the M135i instead of a 3er) cash worked out about £2.5k cheaper based on a three year deal, i.e. what I would have paid in PCP payments over three year plus the residual value (GFV) was about £2.5k more than the best cash price I could negotiate, of course it depends on having the cash available and what else you might want to do with it.
I immediately assumed Z meant the cash price is lower on PCP and he intends to settle almost immediately to avoid most of the charges.
That might make sense though as I recall accounting for fees and a similar discount for cash and PCP there was no real advantage in taking finance, though that may have changed.

I think that they will always say that you can get a better "price" if you take finance because the dealer is targeted on finance as well as units, though ultimately I think they have as much flexibility on a cash sale and it is good for cash flow.
>> I immediately assumed Z meant the cash price is lower on PCP and he intends
>> to settle almost immediately to avoid most of the charges.

correct. Tho carrying on with the PCP actually works out about the same price as you would if you negotiated a cash deal -ie less % off list, the dealer deffo has less room to play with with cash, as there is no manufacturer supported discount. Depends on your deposit, the term length and ballon payment of course, but it more or less works out the same.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 21 Aug 17 at 15:28
PCP is a serious money spinner for the trade who are frankly addicted to it now, or more accurately addicted to their customers being addicted. It's worth incentivising and dealer/manufacturer "deposit contributions" are fairly common.

The car I have paid a deposit for an option on is coming off an early settled PCP, at 2 years. I asked why of course. Answer "because he can have a new ['better', it's an RF] one on the same monthly payment".

The missing bit of that equation of course if what has happened to the size of the debt and how long he will have to pay it, but it's very common - once the customer has in his own mind accepted that he is paying £200 or whatever a month indefinitely for a car, it really does look like a 'no-brainer'. A retired friend of mine (good public sector pension) seems to nd up ordering a new car nearly every time his C3 Picasso goes in for service - he's had at least four.#

Anyway Z, well done. You can't take it with you.
 BMW - BMW G30 540i X Drive M Sport Saloon Test - RichardW
Bit of a step up from the Lancer...!!

You can spend some money on options - £3750 for a Stereo; £2250 for Driving Assistant plus....

Hope you enjoy it!
>> Bit of a step up from the Lancer...!!

Lancer went nearly a year ago.

>> You can spend some money on options - £3750 for a Stereo; £2250 for Driving
>> Assistant plus....

Ruddy fortune, the stereo upgrade is taking the wee wee. I kept extras down to under 10% of the total value

>> Hope you enjoy it!

so do I, its going to be a long wait.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 21 Aug 17 at 16:05
Out of interest are the comfort seats heated? And does it have or did you look at high beam assist? It's very clever.

>> Out of interest are the comfort seats heated?

Yes the comfort seats are heated.

>> And does it have or did you
>> look at high beam assist? It's very clever.

It does not have, I did look at, and decided no thanks.

There are only two options I hummed and ahhhd about, alternately putting them in and leaving them out. Reversing camera, and super clever "distance control linked to start stop" cruise control. Reversing camera was ultimately dumped because every time i used it I was either unviewable (dark wet night) or I need up parking like a dogs hind leg. Smashing feature, but useless.
>> There are only two options I hummed and ahhhd about, >>

I would not bother about those either.
Reading some of the manual for the car I have on order and I discover the reversing camera is a bit cleverer than I thought.

It has three modes of operation that you can select. It changes how it suggests the car should move when reversing:

1. Parallel parking
2. Reversing into a car park space
3. Trailer assist

The first of those colours in the car that's behind you as you park and has recognised the size of the space, where the kerb is etc. And it is how to steer to get into the space. Option 2 is similar but now trying to get you into a relevant space.

Option 3 recognises the trailer hitch and is showing you the way to steer to hook up.

Now how useful all that is in reality is up to the buyer.

It seems unfair that your car ordered today will arrive in November. Mine ordered in July won't even be built until November ;-)

The BMW camera moves from left to right as you turn the wheel, and bends the steering guide lines superimposed on the picture, and I still ended up parking on the skew.

The reversing sensors on the other hand work well, with a good distance display.

>> It seems unfair that your car ordered today will arrive in November. Mine ordered in
>> July won't even be built until November ;-)

They work much harder and smarter in Bavaria than they do in Lower Saxony.
>> They work much harder and smarter in Bavaria than they do in Lower Saxony.

Maybe less smart and work less hard in Kvasiny, Czech Republic? Or maybe it will come from China or India :-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 21 Aug 17 at 23:43
Although the engine, DSG, electronics, etc. will come from wherever VW gets them. And then send them to the Czech Republic.
>>Lancer went nearly a year ago.>>

So by your previous handles, Renault Family, Tourvan Man, Altea Ego are three that I recall, shouldn't you currently be Thor or something and soon to be ???
I am currently Nogbad the Bad elsewhere (couldn't be bothered to change it here) and yes I will be something else when it arrives.
>>Nogbad the Bad >>

Hmm, reckon I'd stick with Zero ...
 BMW - BMW G30 540i X Drive M Sport Saloon Test - Roger.
>> I am currently Nogbad the Bad elsewhere (couldn't be bothered to change it here) and
>> yes I will be something else when it arrives.
>>

Some folk may say that you are something else NOW.

>> Some folk may say that you are something else NOW.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
A 3 month wait. Pah. Mine is more than double that, and it was initially 9 months,now reduced to 7.
After another unaccompanied blast up n down the A6 over Shap this afternoon ( sorry Officer I don't know what came over me) to refresh the memory, was informed that it has been built and ready for despatch.
Glad I didn't order Silver, Black or White, or the bright yellow model in the showroom ( special order @£3,300!!!)
Last edited by: legacylad on Mon 21 Aug 17 at 18:12
 BMW - BMW G30 540i X Drive M Sport Saloon Test - Pat
If you fancy a drive in a proper car, you only have to ask....the V90 is very forgiving:)

Pat
>> If you fancy a drive in a proper car, you only have to ask....the V90
>> is very forgiving:)
>>
>> Pat

The dog wouldn't be very forgiving, being left at home.
Congrats Z. That's going to be a lovely bit of kit.

The new 5 is a seriously impressive car, and that B58 really is an absolute peach of an engine. Gets better and better with miles as well.

I ordered my car in November and it was delivered in March. I'd like to say the time flew, but it didn't ;-)

BMW - BMW G30 540i X Drive M Sport Saloon Test - Fenlander
That will be a seriously impressive cross country car Zero.

Funnily enough we had a shortlist to look around all on one site at the dealer who sold us Mrs F's CLK last Sat... 3-series, 5-series, CLK and Lexus. Just for one wild moment we struggled to walk away from the low mileage 5-series in our favourite mid-blue with honey leather seats and wood trim... the 535 twin turbo model... 0-60 6.1 and 155mph limited so close to the ball park of your new machine. Mind you I reckon the traction computer would be working flat out on a 2WD model.

It is very likely I will get another 5-series to replace my current old bus when it eventually gives notice.... and I may just see if I can indulge myself with that engine then.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 22 Aug 17 at 09:00
Mind and get one with a sunroof Fenlander. Makes all the difference to the experience.
What and ruin my perfectly styled 70s hair?
Didn't have you down as a Jason King type. Fair enough though, fair enough...

;-)
The Panoramic sun-roof on my 335 is rather good ! Love it. Grade 4 haircut these days, unruffled.
>>>Jason King type. Fair enough though, fair enough.

It's an aspirational look.
>> Mind and get one with a sunroof Fenlander. Makes all the difference to the experience.

Well it does when you go and order an all black interior, I too would need a skylight if i was driving around in a coal cellar.
Vitamin D. Google it, you'll never look back...

;-)
>> Vitamin D. Google it, you'll never look back...

Having been diagnosed with Osteopenia, I am on Vit D & calcium tablets. Its cheaper to get the tablets (free now I am over 60) on the NHS than it is to delve in the BMW options list.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 22 Aug 17 at 10:48
Shame to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar though eh? Never mind, at least it gives you something to aspire to for the next one.

;-)
>> I am on Vit D & calcium tablets. >>

Been there, done that, though not for Osteopenia, and there's no sub for real sunlight, though that's not a reason to get a sunroof, it's just with the miles Runfer drives he has no other daylight in his life ;-)

Seriously I would probably consider a sunroof on 5er ...

BMW - BMW G30 540i X Drive M Sport Saloon Test - henry k
>> >> Vitamin D. Google it, you'll never look back...
>>
>> I am on Vit D & calcium tablets.
>>Its cheaper to get the tablets (free now I am over 60) on the NHS
>> than it is to delve in the BMW options list.
>>
Tesco sell Vit D tablets - 60 for 99p
You can afford it :-)
WOO HOOO

I have been given a build week - 40 (2-8th October) delivery to dealer week 43 (23-29 October)

When is yours due RTJ? (chortle)
Now looking like build week 38.

>> Mind you I reckon the traction computer would be working flat out on a 2WD
>> model.
>>

Interestingly, perhaps because of the sticky rubber (relatively speaking) and/or an inherently good set-up, it actually takes real ham fisted, or heavy footed, action in the dry to provoke the traction control on my 235i
Sounds like a very nice car indeed :)
Though, if I may be so bold, atlas cedar metallic does look very much like gold/beige ;)
I fully accept it's likely to look stunning in the metal however, when clean...
Green I reckon. Brave move, even if it is a nice colour. Which it is of course. And, not everyone is superstitious about green cars. I'd just ignore anyone who was, if I was him...

;-))
Someone who works for me took delivery of a MB A class in elbaite green - looks amazing. When clean!!

Looks like this: tinyurl.com/y89n6sbq
Yeah, that's a proper Kermit green isn't it? His is more of a sort of metallic compost.

;-))
That metallic green is the colour a friend has on his AMG A Class... with silly huge rear spoiler. Goes faster than any frog I've ever seen.
Excluding Sebastian Loeb & Michelle Mouton
>> That metallic green is the colour a friend has on his AMG A Class... with
>> silly huge rear spoiler. Goes faster than any frog I've ever seen.
>> Excluding Sebastian Loeb & Michelle Mouton

My aunt has it on her rather more humble A180 CDi. Stunning colour, IMHO.
>> Green I reckon. Brave move, even if it is a nice colour. Which it is
>> of course. And, not everyone is superstitious about green cars. I'd just ignore anyone who
>> was, if I was him...

Green? GREEN? WTF are you smoking tonight? It is indeed that bronzy/goldy/beige shade, and looks utterly stunning

When polished.
Correction - bronzy/goldy/beigey/green

;-)
>>It is indeed that bronzy/goldy/beige shade,
>>

Farah trousers? ;-)
"Slack" green?
;-)
>> >>It is indeed that bronzy/goldy/beige shade,
>> >>
>>
>> Farah trousers? ;-)
>>

I think you 'grow into' these colours with age...certainly my parents cars have gone through silver, grey, greyish silver, brownish grey over the years.

The good news is, you do come out the other side. Following a disagreement earlier in the year with a French woman who, inexplicably, felt that driving on the right was the correct thing to do in France when my Father clearly felt differently, the replacement for his written off browny/grey A3 is a bright red A3. The replacement for my Mums grey Golf will be white. More visible all round I hope ;)
Saw a bright yellow Macan S in a dealer showroom yesterday. That was the yellowest yellow thing I've ever seen. Including the Beatles submarine.
It even had a matching hard shell suitcase
Last edited by: legacylad on Tue 22 Aug 17 at 21:50

>> The good news is, you do come out the other side.
>>

I think I have come out the other side, after silver, silver, blue, silver, metallic black and silver, my current car is much brighter and more distinctive though quite tasteful and set of well by the black leather with brushed aluminium and black gloss inserts interior.
 BMW - BMW G30 540i X Drive M Sport Saloon Test - Auntie Lockbrakes
I wanted my Audi A1 in metallic Samoa Orange, but there were none in the country. Only the safe colours in stock: red, white, grey or black. Grey it was then...!

That green A class looks stunning to me.
>>
>> That green A class looks stunning to me.
>>

Makes me feel distinctly queasy.
 BMW - BMW G30 540i X Drive M Sport Saloon Test - cosec
A neibour of mine works for the MB press team in MK. She Tends to have all sorts of MB cars on her drive. The two recent most striking ones have been an AMG A class in that green and an AMG G Wagon in orange. Now that was a car to get attention!
Latest Forum Posts