Motoring Discussion > Hypothetical insurance question Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 10

Hypothetical insurance question - Bobby
A couple of colleagues recently have had accidents and currently dealing with claims etc. Listening to them and their "journey" of claim, accident companies etc etc made me think.

Say you are in a no fault accident that writes your car off and say it is very clear that it is non fault. You would then be within your right to get car hire etc on your own insurance and it all to be charged to the other side.

However, would it be possible to go directly to the the other side, ask for an immediate settlement for your write off and ask them to inflate it with the cost of a fortnights car hire if you agree to forego the hire?
 Hypothetical insurance question - rtj70
>> You would then be within your right to get car hire etc on your own insurance

Depends on the cover you have I would have thought.

>> would it be possible to go directly to the the other side, ask for an immediate settlement for >> your write off and ask them to inflate it with the cost of a fortnights car hire

You can't ask for a claim to be inflated by the saving they might make if you don't take a car. Sounds a dodgy proposition to me.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 19 Aug 17 at 00:47
 Hypothetical insurance question - movilogo
1. You can go to other party''s insurer directly. However as data is shared, your insurer might know it anyway.

2. It will be deemed as fraud because insurance is about compensating your loss and not generate any direct profit from claim.
 Hypothetical insurance question - Manatee
You can certainly speak directly to the TP insurer and negotiate the settlement, as you would with your own, and they might well be amenable although I don't think they would "bury" an extra amount in the write off settlement - they might agree to a payment for distress/inconvenience more readily if you turned down a hire car.

Remember that if you did accept a hire car, they would only be paying a fraction of what it would cost them if you went through the accident management company - they are a racket.

We've dealt direct with TP insurers twice (not write-offs). On each occasion they have been very happy to accommodate our repairer choice and provide an equivalent hire car without us even filling a form in. They know that if you go via your own insurer, they will hand it off to the claims management company and they will get stung.

The car we got last time from Enterprise cost Direct Line, the TP insurer, £16 a day. When my son had a similar sized credit hire car it was £60 a day (which he had to indemnify of course).
 Hypothetical insurance question - Rudedog
I thought as part of the settlement you could claim for future increases in your premiums if it was non fault? Not sure how that is calculated.
 Hypothetical insurance question - Zero
>> I thought as part of the settlement you could claim for future increases in your
>> premiums if it was non fault? Not sure how that is calculated.

You can't claim for stuff that you may or may not suffer, a price you dont know, over a period of time you dont know.
 Hypothetical insurance question - No FM2R

>>However, would it be possible to go directly to the the other side,

Yes.

>>ask for an immediate settlement for your write off

Yes.

>>and ask them to inflate it with the cost of a fortnights car hire if you agree to forego the hire?

Mm, well your choice of the word "inflate" is misleading. Substitute the word "increase" and...

Yes.
 Hypothetical insurance question - zippy
>> inflate it with the cost of a fortnights car hire if you agree to forego the hire?

I have worked on putting finance packages together for a few of the dreaded credit hire companies.

It was very clear that a 3rd party couldn't use credit hire if they had sufficient funds to hire a vehicle themselves or had no need to use a vehicle. For example claims for many thousands of pounds were rejected where it was shown the 3rd party only travels say 30 miles over a month of hire. The insurance company successfully argued that a taxi or daily hire would have been more appropriate. Having access to second vehicle suitable vehicle can also negate the claim.

So I guess that they would say if you don't need the car hire then you don't need money for the hire car.
>> I guess that they would say if you don't need the car hire then you don't need money for the hire car.

And you would explain how you are trying to mitigate your total expenses amount but you are quite happy to go the other route if they prefer.

They won't.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 19 Aug 17 at 22:12
 Hypothetical insurance question - zippy
>>They won't

I doubt that they are that logical.
In my experience they can always be managed.
Latest Forum Posts