Motoring Discussion > VW to fix the dieselgate fix Green Issues
Thread Author: PR Replies: 17

VW to fix the dieselgate fix - PR
www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/volkswagen-pledges-rectify-problems-caused-dieselgate-software-fix

After complaints and previous denials from VW, they are now offering a sympathetic ear to the many owners who have reported issues since having the fix done.

Next will be the fix of the fix of the fix. Unless of course they can defy laws of physics ;)
 VW to fix the dieselgate fix - Manatee
As devious and dissembling as ever:

Volkswagen disputed the findings, stating: “Far fewer than 1% of UK customers who own affected Volkswagen Group vehicles that have received the technical measures have reported any issues.

“That means that more than 99% of customers are satisfied with the application of technical measures, ”

It means nothing of the kind of course. Counting complaints is a very poor method of measuring customer satisfaction, as anybody with basic knowledge of the subject well knows, and I am sure even VW employs some of those.

That's even if the complaints are recorded.

In all seriousness, I once asked a very large and well known financial services company that I managed a contract with how many complaints they had received about a particular credit product. Over 2 million customers at that stage had signed up for it. The written response was "0", given without qualification.

It took some time to establish that they didn't actually record complaints at product level.
 VW to fix the dieselgate fix - DP
My brother-in-law had one of these letters the other day. His 11 reg Golf TDI was "fixed" a few months ago. It is noticeably less responsive and about 10% thirstier since the fix.

The letter also mentioned something about some hardware components being covered (injectors and something else, I can't remember what), which doesn't bode well....

VW to fix the dieselgate fix - spamcan61
>>
>> The letter also mentioned something about some hardware components being covered (injectors and something else,
>> I can't remember what), which doesn't bode well....
>>
I suspect that's the EGR valve. Chapter and verse over on Honest John. Spamette Major has an 09 plate Golf 2.0TDi with 90K+ miles on it; I've advised her to keep ignoring the recall letters, high mileage ones seem to be the worst affected by the 'fix'.
 VW to fix the dieselgate fix - PeterS

>> I suspect that's the EGR valve. Chapter and verse over on Honest John. Spamette Major
>> has an 09 plate Golf 2.0TDi with 90K+ miles on it; I've advised her to
>> keep ignoring the recall letters, high mileage ones seem to be the worst affected by
>> the 'fix'.
>>

As a counterpoint, FWIW, my Mothers 2010 2.0 TDi Golf with 115k miles on the clock had the fix applied when recalled, and has been faultless since. Hasn't stopped her ordering a petrol car to replace it mind you!
 VW to fix the dieselgate fix - Runfer D'Hills
Not sure if this is tangential or not, but my 15 month old diesel Mercedes was serviced a couple of weeks ago, and I did wonder if they would do anything similar to it in terms of emissions fixes, but forgot to ask if that was their intention.

Anyway, it's running better than ever at the moment, and on a 300 mile round trip yesterday showed a fuel consumption of 61mpg. Not bad for a fully laden automatic E Class estate on a mostly motorway journey I thought. I've seen 58 mpg before on a long run but this was exceptional.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 22 Aug 17 at 20:51
 VW to fix the dieselgate fix - Hard Cheese

>> As a counterpoint, FWIW, my Mothers 2010 2.0 TDi Golf with 115k miles on the
>> clock had the fix applied when recalled, and has been faultless since. Hasn't stopped her
>> ordering a petrol car to replace it mind you!
>>

Witj respect would she notice if it were a little less perky and a little more thirsty though?
 VW to fix the dieselgate fix - PeterS

>> Witj respect would she notice if it were a little less perky and a little
>> more thirsty though?
>>

She'd definitely notice if it was less perky... she ordered the 2.0 TDi because she felt the 1.6 (I think) was underpowered... econmywise, perhaps less so, though I think my Father would notice if the OBC reported economy had dropped. He's needlessly obsessed by pointlesss trivia like that; it's clearly nothing to with the cost because her new car comes in October, but the Golf is going back to VW next week for a full service and new pads and disks all round... they were an advisory on the MOT earlier in the year apparently... ;)
 VW to fix the dieselgate fix - Cliff Pope
If the fix can be fixed so that the car complies with environmental and consumer law and yet doesn't adversely affect performance and fuel consumption, then why was it necessary to fiddle the thing in the first place?
 VW to fix the dieselgate fix - Hard Cheese
>> If the fix can be fixed so that the car complies with environmental and consumer
>> law and yet doesn't adversely affect performance and fuel consumption, then why was it necessary
>> to fiddle the thing in the first place?
>>

So it recorded a lower CO2 figure when tested.

>> So it recorded a lower CO2 figure when tested.

I'd say to keep performance up and fuel consumption down while passing the tests.

They seem to be saying that they can (with the fix) meet the stated emissions i.e. pass the test, without the fiddle. so presumably they could have done that in the first place, at the expense of some performance and/or fuel economy (and maybe reliability too).

It would be simpler if they would just tell us the truth, but obfuscation if not outright lying seems to be in the DNA of car manufacturers.

[slaps forehead] Of course if they said "your car will use more fuel, the EGR system will clag up more frequently, and overtaking will take longer" that might result in expensive class actions.
 VW to fix the dieselgate fix - PR
This is a bit "wordy" but if you go to page 19 and look at figures 5.1 and 5.2 you can see what they were up to. There is a comparison of a rigged VW undergoing the test and then reversing the test so the car isn't aware its being tested. Then it compares it to a non rigged car.
The emissions are very different!

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/548148/vehicle-emissions-testing-programme-web.pdf

VW to fix the dieselgate fix - Cliff Pope

>>
>> So it recorded a lower CO2 figure when tested.
>>

But that's breaking consumer laws that a product has to be as advertised.
If the car can now meet all legal requirements without compromising performance and economy, then my question still stands.
Standard corporate attempt at damage limitation.

"We completely reject the suggestion that there is a problem of any kind, and we are going to put it right".

PR and HR should be the first out of the balloon IME, neither ever says what they mean. I always wanted to punch them;)
Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 24 Aug 17 at 14:46
 VW to fix the dieselgate fix - MD
It all sounds like having yer motor 'Chipped' ...

...backwards!
 The VW fixer has got fixed - henry k
VW engineer jailed for emissions scandal

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41053740
 The VW fixer has got fixed - zippy
>> VW engineer jailed for emissions scandal
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41053740
>>

It's not the guy at the top though is it and considering that he must have known.......!
 The VW fixer has got fixed - Hard Cheese
Scapegoat comes to mind.

Have we handled this well as a society? It's supposed to be all about pollution, CO2 emmisions etc though the prosecution of VAG is creating fields of returned vehicles with years of life left in them and causing thousands of new vehicles to be built.

And it can be argued that the owners of these vehicles benefited, they received a vehicle with a certain level of performance though were taxed inline with a vehicle of a lower level of performance.

And it can also be argued that it is the rest of us who have been disadvantaged as governments will set targets for tax revenues and if the potential revenues from diesel vehicles was reduced they may have adjusted rates that penalised ALL diesel vehicle owners and drivers, or may have looked at additional income from petrol vehicles.

Some of this is conjecture though in the interests of global CO2 levels VAG should have been fined billlions and the money invested in clean air technologies, alternative power sources etc.
Last edited by: Hard Cheese on Sun 27 Aug 17 at 07:45
Latest Forum Posts