Motoring Discussion > Suzuki Grand Vitara - Advice please Buying / Selling
Thread Author: MD Replies: 20

Suzuki Grand Vitara - Advice please - MD
I cannot remember the last time I bought a car privately and seek advice if you'd be so kind. It's about an hour and a half from me, but I'm struggling to get someone with the correct knowledge to come and cast an eye over it. However the vendor has offered to deliver it, but I am guessing that I should see it and him at his home address for all manner of reasons. Obviously the log book needs to be in his name and registered to his home address too?

Is it unreasonable if this goes ahead to get him to 'prove' who he says he is?

Anything else?

Thanks in advance.
 Suzuki Grand Vitara - Advice please - Manatee
Not unreasonable at all to establish that it is his name and address on the V5.
 Suzuki Grand Vitara - Advice please - Bobby
I would want to see it at his address and be comfortable that he was who he said he was.
Of course you can reassure yourself with some google snooping, is the car parked at the house on google streetview? can you find him on Facebook? Does he happen to mention in his FB that his car is good/bad/ugly??

After we bought my sons car, the previous owner had left a good review on the dealers website. Was able to click on that, it took me to her facebook with a couple of clicks, and on her posts I could see one from her saying that she had washed the car for the first time in 18 months!

Its scary what you can find out there!!
 Suzuki Grand Vitara - Advice please - Dog
Can we see the ad guv, ass-uming there is one.
Hi Perro,

It was on ebay, but didn't sell and I can't find the item number on iPad. And I am on site at the mo without access to my home Comp.

Fenlander. I had an inkling for a home dealer.

The mot history on the gov website makes interesting reading. DY55UYD
 Suzuki Grand Vitara - Advice please - No FM2R
Judging the finer details of the quality of the car is very hard. Seeking every tiny fault when in reality it could develop a new one tomorrow. So check the car seems ok, no noises etc, has it been serviced / looked after etc. etc.

But then what you need to be doing is judging the man you're buying from.

Easy for you, seriously. Just pretend you're buying some building work from him and assess him that way. Would you contract him? A
 Suzuki Grand Vitara - Advice please - Fenlander
So are you proposing to give him a non-refundable deposit before he travels... or is it clear if its a wrong un you refuse to buy when he turns up with it then that's his risk to have wasted 4hrs and the fuel costs.

For me this would have to be an utterly unique vehicle to consider such an arrangement.... if for nothing else that was the price correct he could easily sell it to a person who was local or happy to travel. There is a hint of desperation (or trade hiding as private) behind someone that would deliver.
No refundable deposit. The risk would be all his or no go.
 Suzuki Grand Vitara - Advice please - zippy
>>I would want to see it at his address and be comfortable that he was who he said he was.

Absolutely. You want to see him exiting the front door (not flats front door).

This site may give some useful insight to the cars history if it has had MOTs. I would avoid cars that had a lot of problems at MOT as it is a potential indicator of poor maintenance.

www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
Description from the bay:

Suzuki Grand Vitara 2ltr. MOT march 2018. Two owners from new with both sets of keys. New front brake discs and pads all round. Alloy wheels. Central locking, electric windows, electric and heated mirrors, air-con (ice cold), recent new tyres. Complete new exhaust including both catalytic converters. Detachable tow bar fitted. The engine and gearbox are smooth. Everything works as it should. This is not an abused vehicle but a much loved 4x4, which will go on for many more miles to come. Body and interior are in very good order. A few age related marks, understandable for a vehicle of this age. Buyer will not be disappointed. Please call 07752094xxx for anymore info. Cash on collection. Thank you for looking.
>>There is a hint of desperation (or trade hiding as private) behind someone that would deliver.

My thinking too. What make are the tyres, not Chinese ditch finders I wonder? What has he/she towed with the vehicle?

Is the car in Cornwall?

Could be a blinder Martin ... or a dog!

Suzuki Grand Vitara - Advice please - No FM2R
>>There is a hint of desperation (or trade hiding as private) behind someone that would deliver.

I guess. But also I would do it. Frankly a couple of hour drive doesn't seem that much effort to put into selling a car for the price I'm asking for.

I appreciate that I detest all the bargaining kerfuffle that goes with selling and would do anything to avoid it, but even so.

Though as you say I would probably be asking for a deposit.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 24 Aug 17 at 13:48
 Suzuki Grand Vitara - Advice please - sherlock47
The MoT Test results for Oct 2014 look a little odd!

Has the owner been using different garages in attempt to get a pass?

Is there a way to decode Test Number to a station number?

In truth it looks clean enough inside and out for £1500 or so. MOT history is odd where he had three attempts in 10 days for a pass back in 2013 as Sherlock mentions. Note also it was either off the road or run without MOT for 6mths late 2016/early 2017.

If he is willing to bring it at his own risk then I guess you have little to lose.... at least you will sea if it overheats or leaks oil after a run!

A near enough check of the seller's ID might be to google streetview the postcode on the V5 and see if it matches the ad pics... not certain but a fair check.

His mobile number doesn't come up as a serial seller of cars.

So perhaps he's like NoFM and likes an outing just for the crack!
Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 24 Aug 17 at 19:42
 Suzuki Grand Vitara - Advice please - Ted

I enjoyed my Grand Vitara and it seemed bulletproof with the HDi diesel mill. If you have his address have a good look on Streetview at the place. Look for condition of the house, state of the garden, oil patches on the path and old tyres and rubbish scattered about. Look around at the area......there may be a line of cars parked across the road for sale.

My pal made a 50 mile trek over the Pennines to look at a caravan after seeing that the property was almost certainly owned by someone who cared about the house and garden. He bought it, it was mint.
Hi Teddy. Did he tow it with his Polo?
A text from the seller (one of many in response to mine) from last evening.

I'm in no rush to sell and I'm not trying to hide anything. She's not an abused 4x4 and If you would like to see it at your place I'm willing to drive it to you. You'll be under no obligation to buy. If you're in any doubt I'll just take it home. I can't be anymore fair than that.

The last two MOT's though are October 2015 and April 2017 ??? I'm getting more suss every day.
>>> last two MOT's though are October 2015 and April 2017 ???

Yep that's what I put above... been off road for 6mths or run with no MOT. Ask him why?

The house in the Ebay ad looks tidy and rural.
Tis a 12 year-old jalopy with 124,000 miles under its belt going for £1895.

Check it out visually and aurally, give it a good long testdrive and if you like it try 1600 notes.
There are additional positive signs... guy has chickens and radio is tuned to radio 4.
 Suzuki Grand Vitara - Advice please - Ted
>> Hi Teddy. Did he tow it with his Polo?
>>

Yes...but it was Extra Strong ! Uncle Joe helped him with his balls !
Latest Forum Posts