Motoring Discussion > Untouchable controls? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 6

Untouchable controls? - henry k
Using your mobile phone as a SatNav is illegal, drivers are warned.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/24/using-mobile-phone-satnav-could-see-arrested-drivers-warned/

As has been mentioned before, the laws seem to be a bit of a mess and are way behind what happens in the real world.

It is OK to use my ancient built in Sat Nav by my left knee but beware doing the same thing on any mobile device at much closer to eye level.

Who needs knobs to operate features of the car when a Tesla 17" screen is all you need?
In the future will only spoken commands be allowed?
Another 10/15 years for the laws be properly revised?
 Untouchable controls? - Manatee
Can't see the whole article.

Does it say that the phone as a sat nav is illegal per se? I use mine in a holder.
 Untouchable controls? - zippy
>> Can't see the whole article.
>>
>> Does it say that the phone as a sat nav is illegal per se? I
>> use mine in a holder.
>>

No.

Touching it whilst driving constitutes the crime. But touching a built in sat-nav, isn't!?
 Untouchable controls? - henry k
"While it is not illegal to use a navigation app on a handheld device, drivers do face prosecution if they touch the handset while at the wheel."
 Untouchable controls? - Zero
It's Typical Telegraph Trash reporting. Doesn't cover use of phone in fixed holder, where of course it's not illegal to use it as a satnav, or even a phone
 Untouchable controls? - Pat
RAC advice is:

Using a phone as a sat-nav law

It is no excuse to say you’re simply following the mapping on your hand-held device. The mobile phone law specifically refers to this, stating it is illegal to use a hand-held mobile to follow a map.

If you wish to use smartphone navigation or a mapping app, fix the phone to the windscreen or dashboard, so it’s in clear view for use while driving, without requiring you to hold it. This is, for example, what many private hire and taxi drivers do.

Pat
 Untouchable controls? - R.P.
Clarity and common sense.
Latest Forum Posts