Motoring Discussion > Winter tyre options Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 22

Winter tyre options - Hard Cheese
We've had a set of winter wheels/tyres for the 120i for about 6 years now, they are reassuring in the ice and odd bits of snow we have, though they also reassure if doing a long journey and bad weather is forecast. Last January we went to Pembrokeshire for the weekend, snow was forecast in South Wales so we took the 120i and although the weather was not too bad it was reassuring to know that we would not be too adversely effected by a few flakes of the white stuff.

I have decided this year to also get a set of winters for the M135i, there are a few 17" wheel options that just fit over the "M" brakes and 225/45 or 205/50 - 17 winter tyres are both approved by BMW. The standard tyres are 225/40-18, front and 245/35-18, rear, and I think I will stick with 18" wheels and go for 225/40-18 winter tyres all round as also approved by BMW.

I would also like to stick with run flat tyres which are of course more expensive though I have come across Hankook Winter I'Cept Evo2 tyres which are well reviewed, reasonably priced and have the added advantage of being asymmetric, so non directional, so any wheel can be fitted to any corner.

Any experiences with these Hankook winter tyres?
 Winter tyre options - Old Navy
I would expect them to be useless when behind traffic on summer tyres (the majority) stuck in a millimetre or so of snow. :-)
 Winter tyre options - No FM2R
I drive in the Andes and don't use winter tyres.

All stuff and nonsense and *far* too much like hard work changing them over.
 Winter tyre options - Zero
It's only for those who forgot to spec 4wd on their Beemer
 Winter tyre options - Lygonos
>>It's only for those who forgot to spec 4wd on their Beemer

Or for Porsches

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV8pB6OQCTI
>> It's only for those who forgot to spec 4wd on their Beemer
>>

Our 2wd 120i will go places on it's winter tyres that no 4wd BMW would never get to on Summer tyres, including X5s etc.
 Winter tyre options - PeterS
The BMW 540 xdrive I saw was on 20” wheels with, I think 275/30 tyres. Fronts were 245/35. xdrive or not, I can’t see tyres that size handling much snow at all...in fact, I imagine they’d struggle with damp grass ;) I assume that non m-sport ones have a slightly more appropriate wheel/tyre combination?
 Winter tyre options - Zero
>> The BMW 540 xdrive I saw was on 20” wheels with, I think 275/30 tyres.
>> Fronts were 245/35. xdrive or not, I can’t see tyres that size handling much snow
>> at all...in fact, I imagine they’d struggle with damp grass ;) I assume that non
>> m-sport ones have a slightly more appropriate wheel/tyre combination?

The SE has much more useful 18" ( I would have liked 17" but not an option on the 540) with 245/45 all round.
 Winter tyre options - Runfer D'Hills
Taxi spec?
;-))
 Winter tyre options - tyrednemotional
>> Taxi spec?
>> ;-))
>>

....no, the spec also fitted to Chelsea Tractor 4WDs that allows them to ride kerbs and park on the pavement (as they do).

Apparently, some people have them fitted to cars by choice, and others, who perhaps should, don't........

;-)
Wouldn't help with a protruding loose kerbstone though would it? One that stuck out a half inch or so more than the others, more or less impossible to see type protruding kerbstone in fading light type kerbstone...
:-(
>>
>> The SE has much more useful 18" ( I would have liked 17" but not
>> an option on the 540) with 245/45 all round.
>>

Winter wheels / tyres might be available in a 17” option :p
At least, they are on the two series even though 18” wheels are standard and it has the shouty blue brake calipers
 Winter tyre options - commerdriver
>> I would expect them to be useless when behind traffic on summer tyres (the majority)
>> stuck in a millimetre or so of snow. :-)
>>
Sorry ON, where do I get summer tyres?

www.continental-tyres.co.uk/car/technology/tyre-knowledge/tirelexikon-2-0/lex-1-5
I’ve never needed winter tyres.

But that could just be because of the me being a driving God thing...
😎
>> I’ve never needed winter tyres.
>>
>> But that could just be because of the me being a driving God thing...
>> 😎
>>

Me too. I must admit coming down the south descent from Glen Coe towards the hairpin bend half way down with snow on the road needs a little care!
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 18 Oct 17 at 18:59
Yeah, I s'pose, if you're tired...
;-)
:-P

Straight on is a big drop! :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 18 Oct 17 at 19:10
That's what the handbrake is for...
;-)
So glad I haven't tried that one with an electric handbrake!
>> So glad I haven't tried that one with an electric handbrake!
>>

Having taken an A3 along a number of farm tracks in Spain I can confirm that the car is actually quite controllable in tight corners on loose surfaces using the electric handbrake...

If you pull the switch up and let go it applies the brake until released, but, if you pull and hold then releasing releases the handbrake again :)
Last edited by: PeterS on Wed 18 Oct 17 at 22:09
I’ve never needed airbags or rim protector tyres; nice to know they’re there though 😝
Haven't yet got any winter tyres for the M135i, partly as I have very vaguely though of changing it (though I think I will keep it) and partly because we have them for the 120i and can use that if necessary. Last January we did a trip to Pembrokeshire with snow and ice forecast and taking the 120i was no hardship at all.

So I'll probably leave it for this winter - however if we now get weeks of snow and ice I may regret my decision ...
Latest Forum Posts