Motoring Discussion > Citroen C3 - New car time Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Boxsterboy Replies: 4

Citroen C3 - New car time - Boxsterboy
Not for me. Our eldest turned 17 a couple of weeks ago, and so an additional car was needed for him to learn on. If it survives his younger sister and brother will use it too when they reach that magic age!

Having set ourselves a budget of £3,500 I first started looking at Fiestas for the usual reasons; good to drive, cheap to run, easy to service. But at our budget they were all quite old and/or leggy. For some reason I started looking at Citroen C3s. And found a 20 month/6,800 mile 1.2 Pure Tech (3 cylinder) bang on budget (after some haggling) that hasn't even had its first service yet and is still under the original warranty.. The catch? It was a Cat C write-off. It was an ex-Avis rental and the story was that the doors and wings had been vandalised. I bought it off a small body-shop owner who salvaged some replacement panels and did the spraying.

We've had it a week now and it drives fine. Nice light clutch, light throttle and a lovely 3-pot warble (not too dissimilar to the twin pot in my 2CV!) Better than the Morris Minor I learnt on and certainly good enough for the lad to learn on. Early days but I think I've got a bargain!
 Citroen C3 - New car time - Zero
Bargain indeed. Cheap enough to write the cost down which you will have to do because it will be near impossible to sell on.
 Citroen C3 - New car time - Runfer D'Hills
Sounds like a good buy. A word of warning though, you may end up liking it a bit too much. This leads to confusion and self doubt, because you know you shouldn't, but nippy tucky ridiculously cheap little hatchbacks can prove to be surprisingly addictive...
;-)
 Citroen C3 - New car time - Zero
You need to buy red boots to drive small cars about.
 Citroen C3 - New car time - Boxsterboy
Z, yes I realise it will be almost impossible to sell on, but with two other kids lining up to drive we have no intention of selling it, which is just as well.
Runfer, yes it is indeed fun to drive in a small low-powered French hatch way. The most remarkable thing is the comfort - you can take speed bumps almost as fast as in the 2CV! Even the lad has noticed this, as I teach him how to drive :-)
Latest Forum Posts