Motoring Discussion > Best Booster Start Pack Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Robbie34 Replies: 9

Best Booster Start Pack - Robbie34

I've done it again and left the door open after putting it in the garage. and locking the garage door. This happens after opening the door to let the dog out, and closing and locking the gates on the drive. I only use the car once or twice a week and this is the third time I have had to call out Green Flag. Always at the most inopportune moment. The last time it was a hospital appointment, and yesterday a dental appointment.

So I need to buy a Power Pack in case I do it again - no doubt I will - so can anyone recommend a decent product that will start a diesel engine - Honda Accord.
 Best Booster Start Pack - Old Navy
I keep a "spare" battery in the garage, It was only used for a few months before becoming a spare but this was about ten years ago. I charge it with a ALDI/ LIDL charger about once a month and it started next doors diesel van last winter. An extra battery, (not necessarily new), will have more capacity than a power pack but you will need a decent set of jump leads and a smart charger as well, but you can use the charger on the car.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 21 Aug 10 at 13:33
 Best Booster Start Pack - -
Clarke Jumpstart 4000, very heavy and does the job fine for me for reasonable cost.

If you punch in a google search Practical Motorhome did some interesting real life tests on some of these things.
 Best Booster Start Pack - Iffy
A booster pack is only a battery in a box.

If you don't need the portability that offers, no point in paying for it.

As ON says, a better solution is a battery, some decent jump leads and a charger.

That set-up is also more versatile.
 Best Booster Start Pack - Robbie34
Thanks for your help.

Looks like the Clarke 4000. Machine Mart seem to be the cheapest.
 Best Booster Start Pack - Zero
I have a spare battery in the garage - well I did but its just gone into the boys Cav.

I have a choice of three cars at home and a set of good jump leads, so never needed a jump pack.
 Best Booster Start Pack - Bellboy
i advise you to ditch the jump leads Zero
A jum-pack wont be able to spike anything like jump leads can
i have relegated my 25 year old made of girders jump leads to the morrisons carrier bag of eternal dust collecting
 Best Booster Start Pack - jc2
Currently on offer in Maplins sale-£19.99.
 Best Booster Start Pack - FotheringtonTomas
>> i have relegated my 25 year old made of girders jump leads to the morrisons
>> carrier bag of eternal dust collecting

That bag will be dust quite soon - dust and little bits of plastic all over everything!
 Best Booster Start Pack - Iffy
...currently on offer in Maplins sale for £19.99...

Can't see it on the website, but I'd be surprised if a £20 battery box would start a medium-sized diesel engine.

This would:

www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=410046

But it's £150.
Latest Forum Posts