Motoring Discussion > What is this? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: The Melting Snowman Replies: 9

What is this? - The Melting Snowman
Was in a stationary queue on the A46 and spotted this to my left. It doesn't look like a speed camera so I guess some sort of traffic flow monitor?

www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4510893,-2.3680505,3a,75y,234.24h,82.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1so84Q7w6-wTEzM3PJD6ba8g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
 What is this? - tyrednemotional
...it's a weather station.

(Just Google images with "roadside weather station")
 What is this? - rtj70
This thread reminded me to lookup a camera type (which I suspected was a speed camera) that I've seen on the M6 for a while now. Last Saturday I saw it flash so that's when I thought - definitely a speed camera. They are also yellow but fairly discreet on the side of the gantry.

www.speedcamerasuk.com/hadecs-3.htm

So they are HADECS cameras with dual RADAR. The ones on the M6 in Staffordshire are exactly like the ones in the second photo in a red circle.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 13 Jan 18 at 20:43
 What is this? - CGNorwich
Probably switched off.

www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/speeding-drivers-staffordshire-95-chance-730666
 What is this? - rtj70
>> Probably switched off.

Not the one I saw last Saturday - it was definitely on and flashed a few times.
 What is this? - Zero
All hadecs on the M25 are on and working, luckily there are only a few and easy to spot if you look for the preceding speed gantry sentinel
cameras
 What is this? - The Melting Snowman
>> ...it's a weather station.

Thanks. There was something spinning on the top presumably reading the wind speed.

Not sure what the two sensor things are doing - there seems to be two pointing in each direction of the road. I wondered if they might warn the Highways if the traffic is solid - quite normal for the A46 though.
 What is this? - tyrednemotional
...they mount all kinds of kit on them - this gives an example

www.weatherforschools.me.uk/images/grendon2anno.jpg
 What is this? - Fullchat
Must be a a good 12 -15 years ago but I dealt with two of those demolished, one on either side of the Yorkshire Wolds within a fortnight. IIRC £22K a piece.
Feed back weather data including the all important lower temperatures which mobilise the salters/gritters.
 What is this? - Avant
Angel of the Midlands.
Latest Forum Posts