Motoring Discussion > Car Parking Fine Legal Questions
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 16

Car Parking Fine - maltrap
I've just received a Parking Charge Notice (fine) of £90 for overstaying my welcome on a Lidl car park by 15 minutes.I don't dispute that i overstayed or that there were warning notices, but the amount seems excessive even if i pay within 14 days for £45.Should i, argue the toss, ignore it, or cough up and shop somewhere else. Your comments would be much appreciated.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 17 Jan 18 at 10:25
 Car Parking Fine - Duncan
Be careful. The Beavis case changed a lot of things.

You could go in the Lidl manager's office, show him/her your receipts - old an new, ask if it can be waived, failing that, I might be inclined to pay the 45 quid.
Last edited by: Duncan on Wed 17 Jan 18 at 10:10
 Car Parking Fine - Mapmaker
>>You could go in the Lidl manager's office, show him/her your receipts - old an new,

He will probably say 'nothing to do with me, we outsource this, I have absolutely no control over this. I agree with you, I am sorry.'
 Car Parking Fine - nice but dim
How can you overstay (usually 2 hours) in a Lidl?
 Car Parking Fine - Falkirk Bairn
>>How can you overstay (usually 2 hours) in a Lidl?
It is 90 mins locally @ Lidl - but that is 1+ hour longer than I need even allowing
for delays @ tills.
 Car Parking Fine - smokie
I wouldn't want to pay it myself, but I don't think £45 is excessive these days. I got "fined" (ISTR) £60 for dropping a fag end (on top of all the other litter!!) in Edinburgh High St during the Fringe some years back.

You said yourself there is nothing to dispute regarding the signage etc.

Why would it stop you shopping there? Might make me more careful about not over staying but other than that...
 Car Parking Fine - CGNorwich
I doubt arguing will work. Pay the £45 and forget it. Do not ignore it. It is enforceable in the civil courts.

Car Parking Fine - helicopter
SWMBO got a parking notice in Morrisons .This was prior to the Beavis case.

I wrote to Parking Eye and went through all the appeal procedures and got nowhere.

I then returned to Morrisons and spoke to the manager and the charge was dropped .

Might I suggest the OP take the same approach with Lidl, particularly if they have the relevant receipts...I cannot believe that they would want to P off customers who overstay by 15 minutes.
 Car Parking Fine - movilogo
You can't ignore these letters anymore.

Money Saving Expert site has template letter for this type of issue (private company issued invoice).

Send letter using that template (don't change the language and don't identify the driver).

It might get cancelled (it worked for lots of people including me).

If that fails and you have proof of purchase at Lidl, have a word with store manager (you can do it in parallel). Make him/her realize how upset you've been with.
 Car Parking Fine - Haywain
Wife and I had been staying with old friends over in the West Mids. We arrived back at the house after a day out to find two letters – one an appointment for the Parkinson’s clinic at Wolverhampton Hospital (mate had been suffering from Parkinson’s for 4 or 5 years) and the other from Aldi re a parking fine – £45/90, photographs of the car, usual stuff. I can’t remember what length of stay was allowed – it may have been as little as 1hr 15m. The overstay had been by a few minutes.

We quizzed my mate – had he been to Aldi? – yes. Had he been anywhere else after Aldi and left the car parked there? – no. Had he still got the receipt? – luckily, it was still in the car boot; he had spent almost £100. It takes a long time to spend £100 and pack up your goods in Aldi – especially if you have Parkinson’s.

The next day, after we had left for home, mate and his wife went down to Aldi and we phoned them to find out what had ensued; we were as annoyed as they were. Apparently, the drugs that my mate takes make him rather docile and he started to the manager in his deep West Mids twang ‘I’m sorry, mate, but I don’t think this is very fair’ – his wife took over. She is a delightful lady but, about to retire as a senior teacher in a tough Wolverhampton comprehensive; she was not to be messed with.

A concise explanation was followed by ‘we’re not paying this – sort it!’. The Aldi manager apologized and nothing more was heard of the matter.
 Car Parking Fine - Hard Cheese
Son recieved such a ticket after spending over two hours in a Snow & Rock store having ski boots fitted, I contacted the store manager who in turn contacted the parking co (Parking Eye IIRC) and all was sorted.
 Car Parking Fine - rtj70
Our gym (at a hotel) started using Parking Eye to police the car park because people would park there and go to the airport for a holiday.

So when I got my new car in October I filled in their form to register the new car, entered the reg on the terminal for that visit.... a few weeks later an email from the lease company saying I'd parked there and they'd pass my details to Parking Eye and charge me £17 themselves for the admin.

I went to the gym and it turns out nobody had bothered to enter my new car details on the system. And that there were on checking probably another 3 charges being processed. They did get them all cancelled and stopped the £17 charges from the lease company as well.

But I was well annoyed. But it was possible to get the parking notices cancelled.

Just as annoying is eldest son got done parking somewhere after forgetting to put in reg. He ignored it and we only found out by opening some mail. We paid quite a bit last May for this notice... and last week the firm handling it had now passed onto another company who now want even more.

Me I'd pay the £45 if needs be but complain to the Lidl Manager first.
 Car Parking Fine - Duncan
>> Just as annoying is eldest son got done parking somewhere after forgetting to put in
>> reg. He ignored it and we only found out by opening some mail. We paid
>> quite a bit last May for this notice... and last week the firm handling it
>> had now passed onto another company who now want even more.

Why didn't you give it him to pay? He incurred the charge and it might make him a bit more careful next time.

Harumph!
 Car Parking Fine - rtj70
Because it turned out he was ignoring the demands for about a year. Had he sorted out registering the vehicle (i.e. back dated to the day he was working at that location) it have cost nothing.
 Car Parking Fine - Fenlander
>>>Just as annoying is eldest son got done parking somewhere after forgetting to put in reg. He ignored it and we only found out by opening some mail. We paid quite a bit last May for this notice... and last week the firm handling it had now passed onto another company who now want even more.

Similar here as eldest daughter (in flat 80mls from home but not yet totally able to finance her living) threw away three parking fines of about £30 stuck to her screen a few weeks apart in the parking company monitored area associated with her rented flat. As her car is registered here we built up a stack of letters that we eventually found amounted to 3x £160 and rising with a convoluted series of elevated threats.

It took loads of research online to sort the duff advice and ill informed forum threads from credible legal guidelines to find that when the parking co were using the Beavis decision to convince her she was liable they were shooting themselves in the foot as a later case dictated Beavis did not apply to a residential situation. Furthermore another pivotal case had enabled the flat dweller to counter claim and win £1000 from the parking co for trespass on their parking space in the case where the space was shown as specifically owned by the property on Land Registry deeds.... which was the situation I eventually found existed at daughter's flat.

To be honest though despite the satisfaction of eventually beating the parking co it was loads of work and stress over a 4mth period involving parent-child confrontation... in many ways it would have been easier to pay the £30 fines as they arose.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 18 Jan 18 at 00:20
 Car Parking Fine - rtj70
In our circumstances (Well step-son) it was a placement and a place of work.

Sorting this could probe problematic because his mother just wanted to pay it in the end and he's oblivious. But now of course neither of us can speak to the company claiming the money.
 Car Parking Fine - Fenlander
>>>Sorting this could probe problematic because his mother just wanted to pay it in the end and he's oblivious

Yep it's far more difficult trying to help a third party/child. In the time we were trying to establish facts with daughter over a month or more the fines rose from the initial 3x £30 through 3x £80 then 3x £120 and finally before I sorted it 3x £160. At no time did we try and speak to the parking co as I'm sure they would have gone all data protection but I had to research and write the letters for her.

Massively frustrating but she had a lot going on in her life so just kept batting it away saying let them take me to court. OK so it was not guaranteed they would but even a slim chance of a court appearance was one more issue she didn't need.
Latest Forum Posts