Motoring Discussion > In praise of skinny spares Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 50

In praise of skinny spares - bathtub tom
Other daughter rang this morning to say she'd got a flat. When I turned up, it turned out she'd kerbed it and torn a chunk out of the sidewall - a can of gunk wouldn't fix that. Fortunately there's a skinny spare (half inflated) in the boot and a Tesco garage nearby.
Have you ever tried to inflate a tyre to 60PSI with a footpump or electric inflator?
Local tyre place sourced a tyre and fitted it this PM.
She's now eighty quid poorer and I've a bar of chocolate for my troubles.
 In praise of skinny spares - Bill Payer
>> She's now eighty quid poorer and I've a bar of chocolate for my troubles.
>>

Just like my world! :)

One of my kids would quietly transfer the £80 to my account. The other would mean to pay me back, would never get around to actually doing it.
 In praise of skinny spares - Falkirk Bairn
Skinny spare can be a life saver, or at least save a lot of money in your bank acct.

Skinny driveable with care, you can go to a known retailer & not get ripped off.

I bought 4 tyres this week - prices varied but £130/£140 was the phone price. Digging on internet I got them for £100 + change plus alignment for £15 & 5% off through an old works affinity site - not quite 5% - 5% of the price b4 VAT so some £18 off. I could have been £590 & paid £400+ change - still painfull but new tyres make a difference to running on 3mm.
 In praise of skinny spares - VxFan
>> Have you ever tried to inflate a tyre to 60PSI with a electric inflator?

My cheap one from Tesco manages to do it with relative ease.
 In praise of skinny spares - Slightlyfatdirector
My colleague was very grateful for a skinny spare recently.

We both have Volvo V70's but I paid £150 for a spare when I ordered the car and he didn't.

The other day he calls me from the hard shoulder of the motorway asking if he could borrow my spare as he had just had the second blow-out in as many weeks (bad pot holes locally).

A 20 minute drive and I was behind him with hi-vis jacket for him and I, and I stood behind my car with the hazards on holding another hi-vis like some bizarre matador at the edge of lane 1 / the hard shoulder to try and ensure people were aware of this poor colleague of mine on the floor and changing his front offside tyre.

I was terrified, and I don't think he was enjoying it either, but at least he was up and off the road quickly and out of danger quite quickly.

I am sure he is planning on buying a space-saver set of his own now......
 In praise of skinny spares - CGNorwich
A subscription to the AA might be more useful.
 In praise of skinny spares - Robin O'Reliant
>> A subscription to the AA might be more useful.
>>
Along with a proper size spare wheel. If you're going to have one, at least have the correct one.
 In praise of skinny spares - CGNorwich
Whether I had a spare wheel or not I wouldn’t be changing it on a motorway. In fact these days I would nearly always prefer to let someone else do it. If you haven’t got a spare the A A will loan you a multifit spare so the lack of a spare is not really a major issue.
 In praise of skinny spares - Pat
I'm surprised it wasn't spotted on camera and had the Wombles (Highways Agency) assigned to it pronto. They don't usually allow it to happen anymore.

Pat
 In praise of skinny spares - No FM2R
"Allow"??
 In praise of skinny spares - sooty123
I think some of the HA staff get a bit carried away in giving out orders.
I don't think I'd change a tyre on a busy Motorway hard shoulder anyway, but if I did and they ordered me not to it would be a short conversation.
 In praise of skinny spares - Zero
>> I don't think I'd change a tyre on a busy Motorway hard shoulder anyway, but
>> if I did and they ordered me not to it would be a short conversation.

Strictly speaking you would be committing an offence, as you have become a pedestrian on a motorway.
>>Strictly speaking you would be committing an offence, as you have become a pedestrian on a motorway.

Really? What about if you exit a broken down car to take refuge behind the barrier?
>> >>Strictly speaking you would be committing an offence, as you have become a pedestrian on
>> a motorway.
>>
>> Really? What about if you exit a broken down car to take refuge behind the
>> barrier?

Strictly speaking you would be committing an offence, as you have become a pedestrian on a motorway. Although in this case you have mitigation
>>Strictly speaking you would be committing an offence, as you have become a pedestrian on a motorway.

Even if that were true, or relevant, and I suspect that it is neither, Still F all to do with the Wombles.

Anyway, wouldn't the offence be walking on a Motorway, not being a pedestrian on a motorway?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 20 Feb 18 at 19:46
 In praise of skinny spares - rtj70
This thread has made me think that if I had a puncture on the motorway and I had to stop but it was not a catastrophic failure then maybe I need a can of gunk in the boot. I have a spare (only a space saver) but you'd be on your way quicker to get off at the next junction and put on the spare. a 50% chance you are on the safe or dangerous side to inflate and I'd probably not do it fully.

I wouldn't care if the original tyre is no longer repairable.
I kind of agree, but do you reckon a puncture at 70mph would result in a tyre which could be inflated with a can of gunk?
>> I kind of agree, but do you reckon a puncture at 70mph would result in
>> a tyre which could be inflated with a can of gunk?

That's probably why I don't have a can of gunk. I've driven all the way back from Normandy before now and then found a tyre flat in the morning but no issues on the way.

Last tyre that needed to be replaced with damage to tyre wall was invisible even when a few days earlier I had another tyre replaced. Only visible up on the MOT ramp and there was a gash but not flat. No way could I know it was there and the tyre fitter didn't spot it either.
>> Even if that were true, or relevant, and I suspect that it is neither, Still
>> F all to do with the Wombles.

.*******

>> Anyway, wouldn't the offence be walking on a Motorway, not being a pedestrian on a
>> motorway?
>
No - rule 253 says "pedestrians" not "walkers"
>>.*******

Easy for you to say

>>No - rule 253 says "pedestrians" not "walkers"

Presumably then a car driver walking around his car is not a pedestrian.?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 20 Feb 18 at 19:56
>> >>.*******
>>
>> Easy for you to say

It was more complex than that, but the nanny filter got in the way, it said....

>> Even if that were true, or relevant, and I suspect that it is neither, Still
>> F all to do with the Wombles.

Its is true, rule 271 and 253, therefore it is relevant, and no a womble has no power to stop you but he can call a cop who can get upset at your attitude.

>> Anyway, wouldn't the offence be walking on a Motorway, not being a pedestrian on a
>> motorway?
>
No - rule 253 says "pedestrians" not "walkers"
>>and no a womble has no power to stop you but he can call a cop who can get upset at your attitude.

Oh agreed, and that's a whole different matter.

The Wombles annoy me.
>> >>and no a womble has no power to stop you but he can call a
>> cop who can get upset at your attitude.
>>
>> Oh agreed, and that's a whole different matter.
>>
>> The Wombles annoy me.

They annoy me too, there should be a national warranted fully funded and staffed motorway patrol.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 20 Feb 18 at 20:05
 In praise of skinny spares - Bobby
>>They annoy me too,

Do I remember correctly that you once applied to be a womble?
I did, its ok having an annoying job if you are the one being annoying.

What really annoys me are the divs who slow down to an indicated 69 (actual 66) when they pass a HA car,.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 20 Feb 18 at 20:13
I'd like that twice if I could.

>> >>.*******
>>
>> Easy for you to say
>>
>> >>No - rule 253 says "pedestrians" not "walkers"
>>
>> Presumably then a car driver walking around his car is not a pedestrian.?

He is. He aint driving it and he aint in it is he. Whilst a magistrate might accept walking in a pedestrian manner from your car to a place of safety behind the barrier is "an emergency" he might be less minded to accept walking round your car in a pedestrian manner to change your tyre is "an emergency"

And you are quite likely to end up in front of the mag, if you fail the attitude test when the ole bill turn up, having roundly abused the wombles.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 20 Feb 18 at 20:05
 In praise of skinny spares - Fullchat
Am I really reading this or am I in a parallel universe :S

A pedestrian on a motorway is someone who doesn't have a vehicle using the motorway on foot for the purpose of getting from A to B.

They are not someone who is with a broken down vehicle (BDV) and is simply on foot in the vicinity of said BDV.
 In praise of skinny spares - Bromptonaut
>> "Allow"??

I'd imagine we're talking smart/managed Motorway under intensive CCTV. 'Wombles' would want to deter you from changing tyre, particularly an offside one until they'd closed lane 1 or otherwise tried to assure safe working conditions.

Last one I changed was in a quiet market square in France. If I'd been on hard shoulder of M1 near home I'd probably abandoned car and let Britannia Rescue deal - probably they'd flatback to nearest depot rather than try change on hard shoulder.
Last time I changed a tyre was on my wife's car. It was in the library car park and plenty of room. I could not turn the nuts with the supplied wrench thing (but we know they are useless) so I went and got an extending one from Halfords. Hard to have got the wheel off that car on a motorway safely yourself.

I'd not try changing a tyre at the side of a motorway.

>> I'd not try changing a tyre at the side of a motorway.

I have done it. I would not attempt it again.
I change them from time to time in the mountains, but I quite agree about hard shoulders. Scary places, especially)y at night in the rain.
I have no spare, I have no jack, I have no wheelbrace. Roger all I can do about a flat other than call someone.
 In praise of skinny spares - PeterS
The good news is that when I got a lump of flint stuck in a tyre BMW Assist were with me in under 15 minutes, with a mobile tyre fitting van :)

As it happens the car was the on the drive anyway, so it didn’t matter ;)
 In praise of skinny spares - Avant
"I have no spare, I have no jack, I have no wheelbrace. Roger all I can do about a flat other than call someone."

But I think you have run-flats, so you have less risk of getting into trouble. By 'trouble' I mean:

- no spare / jack / wheelbrace
- a pothole-induced gash in a tyre too big for the can of gunk to deal with, possibly also a buckled wheel
- you're in a country lane miles from anywhere with no mobile reception.

I don't often wish ill on my fellow-men, but I would like to see the men in suits who decree no spare and not even a space-saver as an option get into the above situation.
A colleague with a BMW and run-flats got tyre damage on the way to the office (going back a few years mind).

There was real tyre damage and you could not drive the car safely, but he'd got to the office. By the end of the day nowhere nearby had a replacement tyre. So it was arranged to transport him and the car.
A friend's just been charged £180 to replace a flat run-flat on a Mini!
 In praise of skinny spares - Dutchie
Why is your colleague not part of a breakdown service?

You was terrifeid so was he because on some motorways it is lethal changing a tyre on the hard shoulder.I always find it strange that so called intelligent people arn't prepared to pay for a breakdown service.

Or do I have the wrong end of the stick that they can't help a driver without a spare?
My first comment when I got there was that we should call out a breakdown service. I was rather shouting this quite loudly :)

We both have this with Volvo (comes free if they service your car each time with them)

This has always been a dilemma for me as to what I would do if this happened to me personally.

It would be a case of calling out someone to put their life at risk because I don't want to, and I would feel very guilty about that. Would I be the only one I wonder?

Having said that, in the cold dwindling light of day I personally I would have jumped up the bank behind the armco and called Volvo assist and waited in the cold and dark 'til they arrived, but I would have felt very guilty when they did - whether they were to change it at the side of the road or even been moving around the car to pull it onto a lorry to take it somewhere safely to change the wheel.

At least I felt my colleague was as protected as we could be with two white Volvo estates both with hazards on and three sets of hi-vis, but even then, that was the longest 15-20 minutes of my life I have experienced for some time....

In praise of skinny spares - Robin O'Reliant
>> It would be a case of calling out someone to put their life at risk
>> because I don't want to, and I would feel very guilty about that. Would I
>> be the only one I wonder?

The breakdown service would have a truck lit up like Blackpool Tower on speed and the operatives would be experienced and quick at their job and well used to the hazards. It is not without it's dangers, but far safer than a motorist with a couple of puny hazard lights fumbling about with a Micky Mouse wrench and jack.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 21 Feb 18 at 02:03
 In praise of skinny spares - Mapmaker
And the HA would likely put the 'reduce speed' signs up.

And best of all it would not be illegal.

If somebody were to ring me and say they were on the hard shoulder with a flat tyre I'd tell them to call the AA. Indeed, I might well ring the AA and pay for it.
Correct Mapmaker.

The Highways Agency will cone a lane off if it's an offside wheel to make sure of the safety aspect.

Their prime concern is peoples safety and despite the way they tend to get ridiculed, when you're in trouble on the motorway they are a welcome sight

Pat
And I'd be grateful for the help, but they needn't be thinking there's any "allow" going on.
Just to clarify these are the powers HA have.

''Traffic Officers’ powers
Under the Traffic Management Act 2004, Traffic Officers have the power to:

stop and direct traffic
close lanes and carriageways
manage traffic
You must obey directions from a Traffic Officer. Failure to do so is an offence and carries a fine of up to £1,000 along with possible driving licence endorsement or disqualification.

A broken down or abandoned vehicle can cause delays and accidents, especially on the busy high speed roads that we manage. Under the Removal and Disposal of Vehicles (Traffic Officers) (England) Regulations 2008, a Traffic Officer can legally require a vehicle to be moved if they believe it is blocking traffic or endangering road users. This is called statutory removal.

A Traffic Officer may require your vehicle to be removed if:

you are unable to arrange vehicle recovery within a reasonable time
they believe the vehicle recovery arrangements you propose are unsuitable or unsafe
you leave your vehicle unattended
your vehicle breaks down or is damaged in a live lane and it is not possible to clear it to safe area
Traffic Officers must be present at the scene in order to decide to require a vehicle to be removed. They must check if possible whether suitable private recovery arrangements have been made before deciding to remove a vehicle.''

Pat
"Traffic Officers’ powers

Under the Traffic Management Act 2004, Traffic Officers have the power to:

stop and direct traffic
close lanes and carriageways
manage traffic

You must obey directions from a Traffic Officer....... [connected to the above matters]"

Oh look, they forgot to add the bit "give permission for me to change my tyre on the hard shoulder".

Probably just an oversight.

Like I said, if I was changing my tyre on the hard shoulder I would be grateful for their help, but they needn't think they are "allowing" me to do it.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 20 Feb 18 at 17:13
I wonder if this covers it?

'they believe the vehicle recovery arrangements you propose are unsuitable or unsafe'

Could a tyre change come under that? I guess if you changed before a recovery vehicle turned up you'd be fine.
Well, just to follow it ridiculously, what could they do?

Because if they laid one finger on me or my things there'd be difficulties.
I guess if the motorist and HA staff were both insistent. One side because they were going to do it and there's nothing you can do about it, the other felt it so unsafe, I'd say that they'd ring the police.
It is clear to me that if this were ever to happen again I will call for roadside assistance of any sort.

I would live with the guilt and give whoever came out a grateful tip.

I only hope they get paid danger money.....

I would have been very happy to get guidance from the HA chaps and chapesses and have them pull in behind us, but did not see one whilst I was there.

Having seen them in a few documentary programs I think they do a very good job, and fair play to them.

I have seen them assisting a few people on the last two days drive from here to South Wales, and from North Wales back home.

As an side, I had to drive from South Wales (Swansea way) up to Chester on Wednesday afternoon.

The A4059 north of Penderyn (home of a very good distillery) was the most breathtaking bit of road I have ever driven on. Not for the road, but the vastness of the scenery. Gobsmacking and gave me a funny turn.....

Next time I will stop in a lay-by and just let it wash over me. Huge mountains and just a feeling of other-worldliness due to the vastness of the scenery and being so high up and looking down and across it. Hard to explain, but of you are ever in the area, take a detour....
 In praise of skinny spares - Manatee
>> It is clear to me that if this were ever to happen again I will
>> call for roadside assistance of any sort.
>>
>> I would live with the guilt and give whoever came out a grateful tip.
>>

Breakdown people do get killed and injured but it's far more dangerous for you or I to change a wheel on the hard shoulder than for them. They usually have a high vehicle with a flashing light bar that also provides a degree of physical protection, and they can usually do it more quickly.
Latest Forum Posts