Motoring Discussion > 12V and 24V tail lights Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 7

12V and 24V tail lights - Mapmaker
A trailer is sometimes towed by a (12V) van and sometimes by a truck (24V electrics). Its owner wants magnetic LED lights, and hopes it might be possible just to have one set. Anybody have any idea?

Thanks
 12V and 24V tail lights - Manatee
It's certainly possible to buy dual voltage trailer boards. I'd speak to the people who make/sell them if I wanted magnetic ones.
 12V and 24V tail lights - Mapmaker
>> It's certainly possible to buy dual voltage trailer boards. I'd speak to the people who
>> make/sell them if I wanted magnetic ones.

Thanks, I shall pass the message on and let the questioner do his own donkey work...
 12V and 24V tail lights - VxFan
Should just be a simple circuit using a voltage regulator to each bulb.

Any voltage between 'x' and 'y' being the input, and a regulated fixed voltage 'z' being the output.
 12V and 24V tail lights - tyrednemotional
...the answer is yes, as long as he does his homework, and there might be a premium for units that can genuinely handle 24V.

In the early days of 12V LED bulbs it was quite common for caravan/motorhome systems to fry them in relatively short order, until it became more common to incorporate voltage regulation up to around 14V+ (allowing for the higher voltage from charging). It is now pretty common for such voltage regulation to cope with 10V-30V.

Such provision should cope with 12V or 24V usage, but you'd need to check that it was in place.

A number of magnetic LED trailer lights are specifically shown as coping with the dual voltage, whilst others say they can be used on 24V, but with an effect on bulb life.
 12V and 24V tail lights - Simon
You've overlooked the issue though that a 12v plug is different to a 24v plug for exactly this reason. It would be possible to easily make a lead to convert the plug/socket situation so it would connect up, but although you may know that it would only be compatible with that certain lightboard, others wouldn't and eventually someone will blow a load of bulbs in something else.
 12V and 24V tail lights - Harleyman
I would suggest that you go and talk to your nearest commercial vehicle parts factors. I'd think this sort of situation is quite common in the civil engineering trade, where trailers might be towed by 7.5 tonne lorries which are usually 24V, or Transit vans which are 12V.

I daresay there is some sort of in-line system available.
 12V and 24V tail lights - Simon
You can either fit a proper inline voltage reducer on the truck and fit a 12v socket to the truck or I believe you can buy a voltage reducing adapter that fits in the 24v socket of the truck. Its the cost that is the prohibitive part.
Latest Forum Posts