Motoring Discussion > Thinking about a new estate car Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 15

Thinking about a new estate car - Mapmaker
My car becomes illegal (or as good as) in April next year. My current wheels are a 2005 Honda Accord Tourer Diesel, with 170k miles which I have had for nearly 7 years. Were it not for Saddiq Khan I had high hopes for another decade from it.

What should I replace it with? It has to be petrol (on the grounds only diesels made in the last ten minutes are Euro 6 and so London-compliant) and it has to be a decent-sized estate car. Budget is not very many K.

Very much in the having initial thoughts as I've a year to do this, but somebody posted about this forthcoming issue and it made me start to think - not least as the price differential between diesels and petrols may well begin to increase for this reason.
 Thinking about a new estate car - Zero
How many K, The K is key.
 Thinking about a new estate car - Falkirk Bairn
Toyota Aviva estate - reliable, almost diesel like mpg.
 Thinking about a new estate car - Lygonos
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201801222988851

There ya go.

Avoids the evil VED by a year.

Note the pee-stained passenger seat, and 'extensive service history' on picture 16.

And heavily kerbed shonky alloys and Event brand tyres.

£50 for a set of discs and pads - must be Brembo.

Yours for one of your Ks.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 27 Feb 18 at 01:48
 Thinking about a new estate car - hawkeye
>>
>> Note the pee-stained passenger seat, and 'extensive service history' on picture 16.
>>

That's a spilt drink stain IMO. Pee stains nearer the backrest. Don't ask how I know this.
 Thinking about a new estate car - Lygonos
>>Pee stains nearer the backrest

I guess mine's longer than yours

:-)
 Thinking about a new estate car - nice but dim
Dacia Logan MCV?
 Thinking about a new estate car - legacylad
Assuming you want to only spend sixpence, then it has to be something unfashionable.
I had three Subaru petrols and they were 100% reliable mechanically. Downsides were expensive parts ( rarely required) low mpg, very uninspiring interior, but the 2.0 petrol drove ok, handled well, they all had large sunroofs and were dirt cheap to buy third hand from friends and relatives.
Because they are niche market potential buyers are few and far between, but unless you plan to sell within a short period of time, that’s not an issue.
If I wanted a cheap sub £2k estate, and could live with low to mid 30s mpg with the 2.0 petrol, I’d start there.
Or a Mondeo/Avensis estate
 Thinking about a new estate car - Duncan
>> My car becomes illegal (or as good as) in April next year.

How so?
 Thinking about a new estate car - rtj70
>> >> My car becomes illegal (or as good as) in April next year.
>> How so?

Lives in London so he'll have to start paying lots of money to drive the current car is my guess.
 Thinking about a new estate car - Rudedog
Sort of, but don't forget it affects petrols cars as well as diesels.

My 2006 diesel is still OK and doesn't attract the T charge, cars have to be Euro IV and above compliant regardless of fuel type.

They mainly focus in on the diesel cars and put the bit about the petrol cars in very small print.

I'm sure my time will come if I want to drive into the central area, as it is I'm just inside the LEZ but if it becomes a ULEZ then I could be forced to go petrol.
Diesel has to be Euro 6 whereas petrol can be Euro 4, as of April 2018 for inside the congestion zone. HOWEVER, I have just discovered that living within the zone I get a further three years "to change my car" before it applies to me.

That Jaguar is *ugly* - doesn't it look like a Maestro?
 Thinking about a new estate car - Rudedog
Ok but I've checked on the TfL site and my 2006 car is not subject to the T charge, is that the same thing?
No. The T charge is currently in existence and a Euro 4 diesel is OK in it. This is the ULEZ which applies in CC areas from 1 April next year - requiring Euro 6 for diesels and Euro 4 for petrols.
 Thinking about a new estate car - MD
ULEZ. Is that a question?
 Thinking about a new estate car - Duncan
>> ULEZ. Is that a question?
>>

I know this one!

Ultra Low Emission Zone.

House point and gold star?
Latest Forum Posts