Motoring Discussion > Snowmegeddon - Volume 2   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 100

Snowmegeddon - Volume 2 - R.P.

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 3 *****

============================================================

Continuing weather thread. Drift allowed !
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 3 Mar 18 at 21:25

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - R.P.
BMW made it home last night from work. Main roads had some snow but the 1/4 mile hill home was the challenge - frozen snow. Put it into manual mode and selected "Traction" - climbed the hill in first and second gear passing an abandoned Insignia. That big diesel lump shows its X5 DNA - great bit of kit.

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - DP
>> Put it into manual mode
>> and selected "Traction" - climbed the hill in first and second gear

I'm convinced most BMW owners have no clue that this mode exists, and should be used in adverse weather. It actually relaxes the traction control a little bit to allow a small amount of wheel slip, which can help in snowy weather.

I got my M140i 7 miles home in -8 and frozen snow on Tuesday using the TRACTION Mode, albeit leaving the transmission in auto. Luckily the only uphill stretch is on an NSL dual carriageway, and there's a good run up. It's the only time since I've had the car that I wished I had the manual transmission, as it gives you so much more control when moving off.

I will confess, the car hasn't moved since this trip. I'm lucky to have that option for a few days if needed. The Mini with a 2.0 diesel lump right over the front wheels is superb in the snow.
Last edited by: DP on Thu 1 Mar 18 at 08:23

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - Zero
>> >> Put it into manual mode
>> >> and selected "Traction" - climbed the hill in first and second gear

And you need to turn auto hold off as well. The G31 with X drive has lots of good snow pulling power if you turn off traction, turn off auto hold, stick it in manual, let it creep in 1st to get unstuck from the snow, snick it into second, then apply a little of that straight 6 low down torque, spin all the wheels when required once you have momentum.

Of course it wont stop any better.

Of course it wont stop any better.

In the back of my mind. Two blind bends and then add farmers on Quads and Gators to the mix and it might have ended badly !

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - CGNorwich
Met office has just issued a red warning for Devon, South Wales and Cornwall.

Time to put on some trousers Dog! :-)

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - Dog
I must be dead below the waist CG. Reckon Cornwall will get orf light today, going by the BBC wev site.

I pity my 70-year-old sister who has to get from Wellington to Taunton for her thrice-weekly dialysis as Somerset has a red wevver warning in place :(

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - Ambo
>>Met office has just issued a red warning for Devon, South Wales and Cornwall.

Not Dorset? In my bit of it, the snowfall is heavier today than I can recall over the past 42 years, as Emma meets the Beast. They are scheduled to part company this evening and at least the temperature is a moderate -1 degree.

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - PeterS
Mines been absolutely fine in the snow,and it’s a manual, rwd turbocharged petrol. In fact, it’s been disappointing grippy at times! For those familiar with the area, there are enough hills to cause the odd problem, but as usual it’s poor drivers rather than cars that get stuck I think. We’ve had another light dusting of snow this morning, but really nothing to worry about. Still very dry, which is nice. I reckon the drive back from Liverpool Friday will be fine...!

2010 and a snowy Anglesey (which is a rare event) I was driving home in the 328 along the A55. Coming off at Junction 6 some buffoon in a Focus had slid across the road, the Bemmer sailed majestically past - it could do that

The snow bomb predicted to hit Southampton and the south coast this evening and tomorrow morning, won't*. Looks like I will be able to get there tomorrow morning pretty easily.

*on latest prediction, but then the forecast has been wildly variable.

You'll not believe this, because I for one surely can't believe what I am seeing.

Down my road, they are sweeping snow out of, and fixing potholes with tar.

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - tyrednemotional
......you have potholes down South............!? :-O

....you have snow !?

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - neiltoo
You MEND potholes down South????

>> You MEND potholes down South????

Only in unsuitable weather it seems

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - BiggerBadderDave
Of course. I see a sprinkling of new potholes after the yearly freeze. Water in the cracks freezing and expanding yada yada yada. They wait till spring before fixing them all.

Filling potholes that are full of snow is acting on the orders of a numpty.

not now, but give it 24 hours and that tar will be out of those holes faster than you can say pothole.

I have just photographed the men at work, the resulting repair work (took them 10 minutes)

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - sooty123
Got clobbered by the snow around here, the police have said every trunk road is either blocked by snow or traffic. Many of the back roads are impassable to traffic. Had to go out the other day and it went from nothing more than a dusting right through to a near white out in the space of 20 yrds.

Snow drifts are particular problem as it's so flat around here, several villages on or around the wolds are cut off. By all accounts the snow ploughs can't get through to them.

The police have said no unnecessary journeys on the counties roads.

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - Bobby
but it will have ticked a box in their due diligence paperwork that they filled the hole that had been reported.

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - Roger.
>> but it will have ticked a box in their due diligence paperwork that they filled
>> the hole that had been reported.
>>
Must be to use up the budget before the end of the financial year.
"Use it or lose it", applies - or it certainly used to be so.

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - VxFan
>> Down my road, they are sweeping snow out of, and fixing potholes with tar.

Presumably not using a Dragon Patcher then, to dry the area and blow any loose debris away before repairing the hole?

www.skanska.co.uk/about-skanska/media/press-releases/202017/Second-pothole-repairing-machine-coming-to-Oxfordshire

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rah1u9uvU7Q

>> >> Down my road, they are sweeping snow out of, and fixing potholes with tar.
>>
>>
>> Presumably not using a Dragon Patcher then, to dry the area and blow any loose
>> debris away before repairing the hole?

Only the heat generated by the friction of a broom.
 Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - Bobby
>>I would suggest your parliament looks at the practice of fining haulage firms for late (30 minutes) and 'no show' deliveries. Bad weather is no excuse, it's written into the contracts and the fines can be anything up to £500 per supplier on the vehicle. With us consolidating loads from various suppliers that can mean an average of 6 suppliers per 26 pallet load.

From the previous thread from Pat - I fully get the above but I assume this is basically a contract so the haulage firms have agreed to this up front? Can the confederation of hauliers or whoever not get together and put pressure on the retailers that no one will accept those terms or contingencies when there are Govt warnings?

Great clip on the news this morning the reporter standing on an overbridge watching an essential Stella Artois lorry trying to get up an incline during the red alert.

That truck may contain other beers and Irn Bru...so essential.

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - Pat
We only have the RHA and they won't get involved beyond their standard Carriage of Goods terms.

Supermarkets dictate terms of contract strictly on a take it or leave it business and let's be honest Bobby, how often do we get a red government warning?

There will always be lorries on the roads for essential stuff anyway such as animal feeds, heating oils, fuel and hospital supplies so it only takes one to get across the road and it all stops.

It also only takes one car to skid into another and it all stops, but from what was on the very early morning news interviews this morning a lot of car drivers in Scotland were on non-essential journeys too!

Pat

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - No FM2R
Given how newspaper readers tend to over-react, can you not start a campaign on how these supermarkets are forcing dangerous driving and unacceptable treatment on the drivers?

Surely you could generate negative publicity which would worry the supermarkets?

That would be my approach! It’s also a wonder to me, in the current world of H&S zealots, that its allowed to continue. Risk assessements are required for the mos mundane things, yet it’s acceptable to expect someone to trave a 44T lorry in hazardous conditions...

Having said that, I’m on the (on time) train to London from the south coast, and there’s been nothin* but the very slightest dusting of snow all the way... currently at South Croydon. There’s a place that could do with some snow covering it...

>>That would be my approach! <<

Who is brave enough to bite the hand that feeds them for what is such a small percentage of the journeys undertaken?

Those contracts are countrywide and worth a lot of money.

There's always another haulier ready to take it on the chin.

That's how we lost (as an industry) the old demurrage payments for when they kept us waiting.

Pat

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - Robin O'Reliant
Mrs O'Reliant was panicking that we might run out of essential supplies so she dispatched me to the local Tescos convenience shop this morning to get what I could. I managed to get a bottle of whisky, five easter eggs and forty cigarettes. I was well pleased with myself.

She's got the hump over something else now, she's hardly spoken to me since I got back.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Thu 1 Mar 18 at 15:02
 Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - Manatee
Went to Sainsburys yesterday, the shelves had been stripped.

Still not much snow but super-cold. Bathroom handwash basin waste has frozen, as has the washing machine one.

Wonder howl Sainsbury's will get on with our home delivery tomorrow, roads are quite slippery up here on the moor.

Just bin out with the dawgs, thought the lake would have been frozen over at -3°, but no.

The Shepherd tried to pull me over a few times so I had to let 'im know who is Alpha 1.

Same with the ole woman and the Pointer (pull, pull, pull) not been trained propa like see.

Made sure the dicks have got plenty of food, but howl do they get on without any water to drink.

I put some out earlier for them, but it was frozen solid within one hour, maybe I should have put some Laphroaig in it.

>>Wonder howl Sainsbury's will get on with our home delivery tomorrow, roads are quite slippery up here on the moor.<<

They cancelled one yesterday in Scarborough to my Mum in Law so they had to get the car out and go there....she has MS and he has cancer but they managed it, Sainsbury couldn't.

Anglian Water cancelled a visit to me today to fit water saving devices 'for the plumber's safety' who they said, couldn't get his van off his drive just 10 miles up the road!

Pat

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - Bromptonaut
>> Anglian Water cancelled a visit to me today to fit water saving devices 'for the
>> plumber's safety' who they said, couldn't get his van off his drive just 10 miles
>> up the road!

The Bits and Bobs offer?

www.anglianwater.co.uk/environment/how-you-can-help/using-water-wisely/we-products/

Keep telling myself I need to take them up on that

Their call centres were struggling yesterday afternoon because of need to get staff home, imagine it was worse today!!. Given that driving on duty is now seen officially as having serious risks it's not surprising they were instructing staff to stay at home. You can imagine the fuss if they insist on people travelling and there's an accident leaving children fatherless!!

Well, yes, but I told them it was a load of old rubbish as Ian had been on the road for 6 hours already when they rang me without a problem.:)

Asked if he hadn't got a shovel and did he know how to drive?....she wasn't amused so I told her what to do with her bits and bobs!

Pat

Getting quite bad here, and there's more to come so, if they fail to turn up I won't be throwing my toys out of the pram, as I spent 20 years 'on the road' my self in one way or another.

The Shepherd tried to pull me over a few times so I had to let 'im know who is Alpha 1.

A couple of weeks ago we had a sharp forst and there was ice on the hill above our road - coming back and dodging the slippery bits and I went a*** over elbow and landed on the Springer. He didn't think it was funny.

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - MD
>> Given how newspaper readers tend to over-react, can you not start a campaign on how
>> these supermarkets are forcing dangerous driving and unacceptable treatment on the drivers?
>>
>> Surely you could generate negative publicity which would worry the supermarkets?
>>
I have friends who deliver animal feed and another on general haulage. Their take on the current situation (not snow) is that they are seen to be criminals when they get behind the wheel. So much compliance and blame culture.

100% agree MD, no matter what we do we're usually wrong for someone.

Pat

Just had an email from a reporter with the Scottish Sun quoting Nicola Sturgeon's remarks this morning and asking me to phone him to respond.

I have filed it where it belongs ....in the trash can.

If he has looked at our website and found us on Google, surely he knows we are a charity and don't get involved politically, or with campaigning?

Pat

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - No FM2R
If he's like most reporters he's not looking for someone who knows how to talk to reporters and is prepared.

He's trying to get an unguarded reaction from someone with which he can cause a sensation.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 1 Mar 18 at 15:44

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - tyrednemotional

>> He's trying to get an unguarded reaction from someone with which he can cause a
>> sensation.
>>

....yeah, but it's the Sun, though, so should be alright......

;-)
>> Just had an email from a reporter with the Scottish Sun quoting Nicola Sturgeon's remarks
>> this morning and asking me to phone him to respond.

There was a meme doing the rounds on Facebook earlier this week attributed to John McDonnell:

Was called by somebody who said he was a journalist working for The Sun. Told him it could be one or the other but not both.

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - Lygonos
As an aside, the UK's wind turbines are currently pushing out more than our nuclear plants for the last couple of days... 10.5GW at 6.30pm (plus another 3GW or so that is unmetered)

www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/
Last edited by: Lygonos on Thu 1 Mar 18 at 18:36

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - rtj70
Earlier in the day they were producing more than 10.5GW, I thought I saw a figure of around 13GW. But it's very windy. I wonder if the figure quoted earlier included the unmetered bit?

So to help with the demand for gas they are asking the bigger consumers (industry) to scale back. One of those will be gas fired electric generation.... so then we might end up without enough electricity ;-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 1 Mar 18 at 18:53

But less than coal interestingly.

Looks like we've finished with the snow, it stopped around midday. Now we've got high winds for the next few days, no more snow forecast.

A few motorists were stuck for around 24 hrs on the A52, snow drifts trapped them until this morning. A few more were stranded elsewhere when they ignored the road closed signs.

I'm out at 7 in the morning, just remembered to go out and release the handbrake in case it freezes on. Car in gear as always.

>> I'm out at 7 in the morning, just remembered to go out and release the
>> handbrake in case it freezes on. Car in gear as always.

release the handbrake? Hmm looks at the electronic handbrake that engages when the car is in park. The car that wont allow you to turn it off and get out unless its in park.

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - Roger.
There has definitely been a little bit of a thaw here (Worksop) during today's daylight hours. Perceptibly less snow on our patio and front yard. The car is less covered, too.

It's not been above -1 deg C here all day. Mostly a lot lower than that.

>> There has definitely been a little bit of a thaw here (Worksop) during today's daylight
>> hours. Perceptibly less snow on our patio and front yard. The car is less covered,
>> too.

Less snow on my patio too. But since it's been below freezing all day is suspect its just been blown into the drift that's developing elsewhere in the garden.

There's another drift at end of road where stuff blown off community centre car park is catching.

Given state of roads tonight and continuing snowfall//wind/drifting in temperatures well sub zero I can't see me making my shift at work tomorrow. Pretty well all my colleagues live close to centre of Northampton so I may be be an outlier (the other village dwelling retiree in the team left in summer - better job in another Bureau).

If it's a day without pay I won't starve.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 1 Mar 18 at 20:57

It's positively warm here this morning at -1C but the wind is blowing yesterdays snow everywhere.

Pat

Temp has soared to -1° now. S'no snow overnight but 2-3" on the ground.

I haven't seen anyone drive up my steep quintessential Cornish country lane yet.

Not expecting my delivery from Sainsbury's to arrive mid-day, if I could contact them to put them orf, I would.

Floods on the east coast of the Lizard. 'Spect more floods to hit other areas once the thaw sets in.

Always look on the bright side of life dee dee, dee dee, dee dee dee dee deeeeeeeeeeee!

I drove into Fishguard at 7am, third gear all the way on the A40 and I only had one other vehicle pass going the other way. No newspapers and a recorded message from the distribution centre in Swansea told us they hadn't received any themselves, so the Good people of Wales will be reading only the cornflake packets today.

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - smokie
Our forecast was for more overnight, and heavy snow till 10 am today, but as far as I can tell we've had nothing new since yesterday afternoon. The forecast is for lighter snow through the day till this evening. The thaw should start tomorrow and by early next week I'm expecting to be pretty much gone. Not that I care as I'm off to Egypt on Tuesday, predicted 30+ temperatures for the first week... :-)

I see sections of the M62 are still closed today and drivers being 'rescued'.

Some sections though show (mostly) lorries queueing.... wonder how long they've all been waiting.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 2 Mar 18 at 09:51

> Some sections though show (mostly) lorries queueing.... wonder how long they've all been waiting.
>>

Overnight I believe, civilian and military MR teams have been working on the M62 assisting. Not open till tonight i should think, several wagons yet to clear off the mway.

Had a text AND an email from Sainsbury's saying they won't be venturing our way today.

Havta send the ole woman to ASDA tomorrow :)

I almost succumbed to putting the heating on during this cold spell, but no, the multi-fuel stove will suffice.

According to the Met Office, we should have had heavy snow from 8am, turning lighter around 10am but lasting through the rest of the day. In reality, it hasn't snowed at all in daylight hours today, and looking at the road, I don't think we had any overnight either.

Local schools still shut though!

SWMBO has just driven the MINI 12 miles into Reading without any major issues. The M140i is abandoned in the supermarket car park just down the road, after I ventured into the town last night, and then couldn't get it back up the gentle slope to our street. It's completely useless on untreated surfaces whatever mode its in, and however much you breathe on the throttle.

Last time I even attempt to drive it in the snow, especially as the MINI is as surefooted as a mountain goat in these conditions.

One striking thing is the quality of the snow. It's almost perfectly dry powder. I cleared the MINI this morning with a soft bristled brush, and it left almost no trace behind. I don't remember seeing snow like this in the UK before.
Last edited by: DP on Fri 2 Mar 18 at 10:41

Well, between Chichester and London Victorianyesterday there was the lightest dusting of snow possible and still call it snow.
I’m now between Euston and Liverpool, just past Bletchley I think, and while there is more snow, the grass is just about visible still, and the roads have all been clear.

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - Haywain
I was laid-up with a dose of norovirus yesterday, so didn't give a toss about what was going on outside. The virus has rapidly worked its way through the family and appears to be highly contagious; I can see why they get so worried about it on cruise ships. I wonder if this is what my mother used to refer to as '48hr flu'.

Anyway, I looked out of the kitchen window this morning and the snow on the lawn had reduced from 4-5" down to ~2", and the grass was poking through. Though it's still -0.8 here, in the dry air and strong wind, the snow was subliming nicely.

Yep, norovirus ia about as contagious as you can get. Comes on very quickly. Simultaneous vomiting and diarrhoea not a lot of fun. It spreads though inhaled particle I think. The good news is you feel a lot better after 48 hours but a bit weak for four or five days. Quick way to lose weight though!

Hope you are feeling better. Weren’t you due to go in hospital?

"Hope you are feeling better. Weren’t you due to go in hospital?"

Thanks, yes, much better today and taking toast and honey, though my wife is still in bed and not feeling too good. I don't seem to have lost any weight though - it came and went too quickly!

I was admitted to hospital after Christmas for 4 days with a kidney infection; after 6 days of eating nothing, followed by 3 days of hospital grub, I managed to lose half a stone*. I have been waiting since last July to have the dodgy kidney removed and, after the pre-op assessment on Dec 4th, was told 'anytime after Jan 2nd'. I understand that the hospital has been under a lot of pressure, and so I'm still awaiting the call. I believe that the pre-op assessment expires after 'x' weeks (12?) and has to be repeated. Does anyone know anything about that on here?

* Weight isn't a particular problem for me as I'm 6'2" and hover around 13st.

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - Rudedog
Yes H, pre-op assessments (where I work) are usually valid for 3 months, and even then they should ring you and ask if your health has changed in any way since the pre-op, if not then they may let you go a bit longer.

Caveat is that from experience anaesthetists are funny types and some will be ok with a small change while others will look for any reason to postpone.

Good luck on the day of your op - remember when they offer pain relief take it!! (If there was only one drug in the world I could have it would be morphine!)

Thanks for that - I suspect that I will soon have to delay from my side because my wife is away to China in April and I'd rather hang on until she gets back. Still, by the time they get another pre-op organised, it could be early May anyway.
Last edited by: Haywain on Fri 2 Mar 18 at 18:27

>> the snow was subliming nicely.

Mrs B, who's supposed to be a scientist, doubted this could happen but there's actually a scientific paper on the subject.

arc.lib.montana.edu/snow-science/objects/issw-1992-011-017.pdf

>> The M140i is abandoned in the supermarket car park just down the road

Hope they don't use a company like Parking Eye to police overstaying!

>> couldn't get it back up the gentle slope to our street. It's completely useless on untreated
>> surfaces whatever mode its in

Even in reverse? I assume you've put some heavy bag of something in the boot to improve traction.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 2 Mar 18 at 12:00

The Beemer has made it safely to Bucklers Hard, the last 15 miles on mostly hard packed snow covered B roads. Stopping it would have been an issue, some of the New Forest ponies were a worry as they had migrated onto the roads, but forward traction was never in doubt as long as we didn't meet a snow drift, and luckily abandoned cars were mostly in the ditches

>> >> The M140i is abandoned in the supermarket car park just down the road
>>
>> Hope they don't use a company like Parking Eye to police overstaying!

Nope. No restrictions.

>> Even in reverse? I assume you've put some heavy bag of something in the boot
>> to improve traction.

Reverse would make no difference. The issue is weight over the driven wheels (or lack of), and a fat 245 section summer tyre. I'm not going to start ferrying heavy stuff over to it to put in the boot, especially as I don't need the car until at least Monday. Given the forecast, it can sit there until the thaw tomorrow. The forecast 6°C and rain should deal with it enough to get the car home.

Oh my goodness, you young 'uns DP, I don't know what we're going to do with you:)

When I lived in the highest village in Leicestershire I never left home without a sack of spuds or two in the boot and a spade.

I never got stuck either:)

Pat

Any chance of snow always put a spade and a couple of strips of old carpet in the boot. Has got me out of trouble a few times over the years.

>> Any chance of snow always put a spade and a couple of strips of old
>> carpet in the boot. Has got me out of trouble a few times over the
>> years.

Had spade in mine since last lot of snow in December. A plastic shovel might move snow more effectively but a spade will break up ice.

I wasn't suggesting you take something heavy to put in the car now. You should have already had something like that in there for these conditions since it's a RWD on wide tyres. You already know the MINI is fine because it's FWD so has the weight of the engine and gearbox at the front of the car.

This was a bit of fun that bit me (rather harmlessly) in the bum. It wasn't a necessary trip, and if anything had gone wrong, at any point, I could have walked home inside of 30 minutes. And I got to play in an empty, snowy car park for 20 minutes before locking the car up and abandoning it, too :-) On a longer trip, I would have been better prepared, or more likely, put it back a week until conditions improved.

I am lucky in that I have a better option than sticking 100kg of spuds or bits of old carpet in the boot, which is not to drive at all. In a job where I have Skype, a complete freedom over work location, and diary management, a couple of days disruption every few years isn't the end of the world.
Last edited by: DP on Fri 2 Mar 18 at 15:32

>> In a job where I have Skype, a complete freedom over work location, and diary management, a couple of days disruption every few years isn't the end of the world. <<

I get what you're saying DP, but that's for the old and boring!

Some of us still like to have fun (playing in an empty car park!)

Pat

>>
>> Some of us still like to have fun (playing in an empty car park!)
>>
>> Pat

It's not a coincidence that an empty car park is where the car was left for the night... :-)
 Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - John Boy
A link for Pat:
tinyurl.com/y77o33pz
That's great, isn't it?

Credit has to be given to Greggs too who recognised that any publicity is good!

Pat

Deeply deeply impressed with the performance of the Beemer today. The new forest b roads were the worse I have traversed since I got stuck on an Italian alpine pass years ago. Stuck it in manual third, traction control off, and 15 miles of solid, and I mean no visible tarmac, snow packed roads to travel. Bags of traction, not a single squirrelly moment, only one moment when traction lurched from back to front, no wheelspin unless commanded by me.

We are booked in for the night down here in the forest, the log fires are roaring, the gin shelf is groaning, and the dog has a rug by the fire grate
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 2 Mar 18 at 17:07

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - Lygonos
Similar chat from a colleague who switched from a Forester to a 330d GT X-drive - as good as the Subaru thru the snow.

He doesn't have infinity inch wheels which probably helps too.

The X drive climbed out 1/4 mile of hill from the village with alacrity. It's got a lot worse since then though. Logistic fail was that the MX5 was left in the village and the BMW at home, thus forcing us to use the MX5 to work. I took it in this morning - brushed the snow from it and in fairness drove well on a snow/slush mix. Only one "moment" when a stupid buffoon in a Smart car just stopped dead in the road to let his passenger out, causing loss of momentum. Took the Transit out in work which was perfect for the conditions, no issues on the roads or NHS premises I drove to. Reversing it into one hospital car-park ensured traction and steerage ! Good motor in the conditions.

I don't remember seeing snow like this in the UK before.

Bloomin' Russian snow and taking our drifts.

Same here as well. Very unusual looking and feeling stuff.

>> Same here as well. Very unusual looking and feeling stuff.

Very like the 'wrong sort of snow' from 1990. It's the stuff that comes under your door and round your collar as well as getting inside traction motors.

>> >>
>>
>> Very like the 'wrong sort of snow' from 1990. It's the stuff that comes under
>> your door and round your collar as well as getting inside traction motors.
>>
It managed to find it's way under the door of my garage. Some years ago when people were scoffing at British Rail for blaming "The wrong type of snow" for their cancellations I knew what they meant, because it had managed to find it's way onto the front seat of the Fiesta I had at the time.

Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Fri 2 Mar 18 at 21:15

>> It managed to find it's way under the door of my garage. Some years ago
>> when people were scoffing at British Rail for blaming "The wrong type of snow" for
>> their cancellations I knew what they meant, because it had managed to find it's way
>> onto the front seat of the Fiesta I had at the time.

I was actually on a train from Euston to Northampton on the day in question. The fine, almost flour like, snow got everywhere including round the door seals and the hopper ventilators in the Class 321 stock of the time.

Stuff was blowing round like fine shell sand on a Hebridean beach in an Atlantic Gale

Same effect when I was driving home last night. Snow moving around like sand was when we went to see Anthony Gormley's 'Another Place' in gales around Autumn Half term last year.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 2 Mar 18 at 21:58

I blame Trump and Brexit in that order ;-)

Seriously, it's just powdery snow which we don't usually get. The perfect combination of really cold air from Siberia and the storm from the west. We might not see it for a long time again.

I won't say in our lifetime because we all have so much longer here! But reminds me did anyone ever get hold of Lud?

>>did anyone ever get hold of Lud?

I emailed 'im but didn't get a reply :(

:-( I hope he's just not coming here... I liked Lud.

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - MD
I feel he’ll not be back. Gut instinct.

>> I feel he’ll not be back. Gut instinct.

I think you're right.

Some time since Old Navy was sighted too.

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - Duncan
Rattle and Smoke.

henry k

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - Ted
Rattle is OK. Put me a new hard drive in recently. I looked on Lud's Facebook and there's nothing untoward mentioned by his friends.

Not conclusive, of course, but the husband of a good friend crossed the Styx in January and there's quite a few messages on his Facebook homepage.

Hope the ole buffer's tickety-boo.

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - VxFan
>> henry k

He's fine. Just taking a break for now.

Hard Cheese

Pat

Snowmegeddon Volume 2. - Duncan
On a different tack, can we bring back capital punishment.

For people who film scenes on their phones whilst holding them in portrait orientation?

Landscape. Landscape.

Landscape.

Last edited by: Duncan on Sat 3 Mar 18 at 07:38

Easier to hold them I suppose. While we're on that subject why does the news put a blurred copy of the film either side when showing a film shot on a mobile?

Because despite having a HD format video camera on the phone, most users film it the wrong way, so the broadcast channels have to fill the screen with blur

I think it'd be quicker just to name those that are still posting on here!
Latest Forum Posts