Motoring Discussion > Idiot drives into path of bus Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 8

Idiot drives into path of bus - Manatee
www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/oh-god-no-hero-bus-12108885

The bus driver has just been interviewed on the BBC. She braked the bus which caused a rear wheel skid, so had to get off the brakes and "glide it through the gap".

Not surprised she had trouble with gentle braking - buses these days seem all to have on/off brakes.

Perhaps harsh to criticise when the twit in the car was clearly the cause, and she did miss him and the one on the other side of the road, but maybe she didn't need to be going quite so fast - hard to judge of course from a video. Nice calm bit of driving nonetheless.
Last edited by: Manatee on Fri 2 Mar 18 at 10:27
 Idiot drives into path of bus - Duncan
>> Nice calm bit of driving nonetheless.
>>

I don't think so.

She was driving too fast.

She didn't start slowing down soon enough.

She didn't slow down sufficiently.

No pat on back from me.
 Idiot drives into path of bus - sooty123
I think he meant the bus driver ;-)
 Idiot drives into path of bus - rtj70
Bus driver was at fault here. She was going to fast for the conditions. The other car reversed a bit so she missed it.

Okay the other car shouldn't have manoeuvred to the other side of the road but that's the point of driving at a speed that you can safely stop if the unexpected happened. And she should have looked up ahead and thought that car might do something unexpected.

She is claiming her training helped - if she'd driven sensibly she would have been able to stop and avoid anything with ease.
 Idiot drives into path of bus - BiggerBadderDave
"but that's the point of driving at a speed that you can safely stop if the unexpected happened"

So we should all drive 10 mph on motorways?

She was driving 20-30 mph (it says in the article) and it was the oncoming idiot who suddenly drove into her lane.
 Idiot drives into path of bus - rtj70
>> She was driving 20-30 mph

In icy conditions...

>> So we should all drive 10 mph on motorways?

Plenty of idiots driving on the motorways last night that shouldn't have and got stuck.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 2 Mar 18 at 12:33
 Idiot drives into path of bus - BiggerBadderDave
My point is rtj is that you can't prepare for the 'unexpected', just get on with life. It can happen anywhere, anytime. What if happened 5 metres in front of you? Or 200 metres ahead? So you should have been driving slower? Or faster? Or eaten breakfast quicker. Or not had a poo that morning?

It happened where it happened, when it happened and she reacted like a pro.
 Idiot drives into path of bus - Manatee
>> She didn't start slowing down soon enough.

Hard to disagree - a few mph under what you think you can do always makes the unexpected much easier to deal with and should be the rule in less than perfect conditions.

She said in the interview that she had just crested the top of the hill so the car was hidden initially; but that also supports the idea that a bit less speed would have been prudent.

Nevertheless the reaction was good. As we should expect from a bus driver of course, but I suspect plenty would have panicked, stayed on the brakes and given up steering.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 2 Mar 18 at 17:00
 Idiot drives into path of bus - stan10
Saw the clip, Humans can always make a wrong decision (car driver) doesn't make us bad people, who can throw the first stone !

Bus driver displayed instinctive skill and should feel proud of herself, i would get on her bus.

Wasn't going too fast IMO - if she was, she wouldn't have avoided the crunch.

and don't post often enough (apparently) to qualify to give thumbs up, or down, but "thumbs up" to BBD's post
Latest Forum Posts