Motoring Discussion > Snowmegeddon Volume 3. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 46

Snowmegeddon Volume 3. - R.P.
Continuing snow drift.
 Snowmegeddon Volume 3. - CGNorwich
So why don’t phone makers make their phones record in landscape whatever way the phone is held? Seems the obvious thing to do since nobody wants.a “portrait” video and the phone is more easily held iwith one hand in an upright position.

Snowmegeddon Volume 3. - sooty123
Following on from zero's reply.

Yes I know they have to fill the screen with something, but why not black stripes? The blurred copy looks very odd to me every time I see it. Don't get me wrong, it's not a pet hate, but like I said it looks odd to my eyes.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sat 3 Mar 18 at 10:26
 Snowmegeddon Volume 3. - Runfer D'Hills
Done over 1200 miles this week in my supposedly "undriveable" E class with "summer" tyres and auto box. ;-)

It's been from Cheshire to Edinburgh, Manchester, East Yorkshire, the Rossendale valley, a dash down to Somerset and the Peak District.

No problems at all keeping going. However, the clever inbuilt (traffic jam spotting) sat nav has been a great help in avoiding queues. Saw the TC light flicker a few times when on the white stuff of course but nothing more dramatic than that.

Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 3 Mar 18 at 11:29
 Snowmegeddon Volume 3. - martin aston
Well here in South West England, the car has sat on tbe drive all week, Michelin CCs and all. Several A roads are still blocked by drifts and abandonned vehicles so even with grip you struggle to get around.

Meanwhile the landing ceiling started to drip this morning. I went into the loft to find a mini snow drift sitting between the joists and dripping from the roof felt where drifting snow has got between the roof tiles and the slates.

Luckily we stll have all essential supplies..........wine, sherry and gin.
Ironically, and I think Peter S alluded to this in his post, the roads this week have been noticeably quieter due to people staying off them. Most major routes have been kept clear most of the time so it has actually been easier than normal to get about.

Reminds me of when fuel prices went through the roof and the traffic volumes significantly dropped.
MX5 was just fine yesterday getting to work ensuring stool samples got to Pathology ! ;-)
No S***?
 Snowmegeddon Volume 3. - legacylad
My car has been in the garage all week. Not gone anywhere.
Just as well really
 Snowmegeddon Volume 3. - Haywain
"My car has been in the garage all week"

Ours have sat on the drive since Tuesday.
Would you mind awfully not moving them next week either? It's been so much easier getting about with all those who don't really need to be on the roads staying off them ! ;-)
 Snowmegeddon Volume 3. - Haywain
"Would you mind awfully not moving them next week either?"

Well, tbh, it makes me question again why we bother with two cars.
 Snowmegeddon Volume 3. - Clk Sec
>> Well, tbh, it makes me question again why we bother with two cars.

We parted company with our second car soon after we retired.
I would like to retire. I would buy a Dacia Duster 4x4 and stick my mountain bike on the roof. I would also buy a hammock, to save on accommodation costs, a straw hat, to save on sunscreen costs, a fishing rod, to save on food costs, and an atlas. The rest would involve finding warm climates and new mountains to ride on. I might never come back. ;-)
 Snowmegeddon Volume 3. - BiggerBadderDave
"I would buy a Dacia Duster 4x4"

Me too. I really like them, now there's an auto version, too. Very tempting.

But the straw hat? I've got a leather one...
More than happy to oblige Runfer
The earliest I’m back in Blighty is three weeks today so enjoy the additional space until then
Conducir con seguridad
 Snowmegeddon Volume 3. - DP
Balmy 3.5°C, most of the patio now visible along with the tips of the grass. Car safely retrieved and back on the drive. At this rate there will be little visible evidence of snow at all by nightfall.
 Snowmegeddon Volume 3. - PeterS
8 degrees here this afternoon! And raining... bring back the arctic conditions; cold, bright, dry. Infinitely preferable this time of year
 Snowmegeddon Volume 3. - No FM2R
31 degrees here, but it is forecast to rain late in the afternoon on the 8th. 1.2mm apparently, there is no end to my suffering.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 3 Mar 18 at 16:40
 Snowmegeddon Volume 3. - Bobby
You still drive about with 2 tonnes of Clark’s shoes over your driven wheels Humph??
I would have thought Loakes, Barkers or some similar brand
 Snowmegeddon Volume 3. - Bromptonaut
Interesting that PeterS saw so little snow from window of a train passing (between Blisworth viaduct and Stow Hill tunnel) within a quarter mile of here.

The local roads were in a dreadful state yesterday. After a nightmare drive home on Thursday I ducked out of work yesterday without leaving the house. In fact I wouldn't have got out until mid morning when the drift formed across our road by snow blown off Sports Fields and their car park had been dug out. Right decision as there were several more inches dumped on the area during yesterday afternoon and evening.

Warmer today, thawing, and we and next door have cleared our adjoining drives. Been as far as Sainsburys. Still spil sliding around where drift was but otherwise OK.

One minor issue with the Roomster. Like others of it's VW group cousins it has a party trick where holding the unlock button on the remote causes all four windows to open.

Never went to car yesterday but at some time the windows were inadvertently lowered by about 2cm. Enough to allow a fine drift of snow on four seats/footwells. Scooped it out, took mats inside. dried meltwatr with towels and then left a fan heater in car, with windows cracked open again, and its dried out a bit. Might take it for a run tomorrow with heater on to dry out some more. Unlikely to be lasting damage.
 Snowmegeddon Volume 3. - PeterS
>> Interesting that PeterS saw so little snow from window of a train passing (between Blisworth
>> viaduct and Stow Hill tunnel) within a quarter mile of here.
>>

I’ve been pondering this, trying to reconcile what I saw with the reports, and can only put it down to just how dry and flat it was. I suppose a lot f the snow blew straight off the fields, and ended up either against hedges or dumped between them (on roads)as a result of disrupted airflow?
Not even slightly warm re the brand, either of you !
;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 3 Mar 18 at 17:39
 Snowmegeddon Volume 3. - Ted

Nothing here now, we didn't get much anyway. I was more concerned about the wind, it was desperate. I have a gate down the drive, 8' X 6' and at two in the morning the wind made it bow so much that it decided it didn't want to stay on the correct side of the post it bolts to. So it didn't, but it banged back, removing it's last vertical board with the locks and bolts on. I secured it with a ratchet strap to the top of one of the adjacent concrete posts for the night.

Sorted it today using a 3ft crowbar and a ratchet to re-bend it and pull it back where it should be, Re-fixed the board for the time being but viciously cold wind chill. Not good for outside DIY work. I might rebuild it leaving vertical gaps...it gets like a wind tunnel here. The only good thing was that the pile of leaves and litter blown in from the road and dumped in a sort of 'vortex' spot was blown back into the road through the gap and disappeared off towards the West !
I know very little about shoes....activity footwear ( boots and trail shoes) are my forte.... I sold them for a few years whilst working in an outdoor gear shop.
I’ve three pairs of Loakes and Barkers for most occasions, and a pair of Red Wing Chukkas for going down the pub.... a brand I discovered years ago whilst in the USA. Made in Minnesota.... decent leather and very comfortable.
Doc Martens!
Nope, way more exschklusiv like y'ken than those! Anyway, even if you guessed right, I'm not going to admit it here ! ;-)
Definitely not Crocs.
 Snowmegeddon Volume 3. - Ted

We've discussed this before....we know he works for Primark !

Although he denied it at the time !
If it’s not Hush Puppies then that’s my knowledge of shoe makes used up!
 Snowmegeddon Volume 3. - smokie
CGN asked "So why don't phone makers make their phones record in landscape whatever way the phone is held?"

That'll be a function of whatever camera app you use rather than the phone.

Download Open Camera and you will find you can do exactly what you're suggesting, in Settings. Probably in other camera apps too. It is quit a bit more configurable than the normal stock camera apps.
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 4 Mar 18 at 00:27
 Snowmegeddon Volume 3. - rtj70
>> That'll be a function of whatever camera app you use rather than the phone.

It will also be dependent on the sensor... Which will favour landscape orientation I'd hope.
So can you get apps for iPhones that give proper full width photos rather than apples own version?
I thought the iPhone takes photos with a 4:3 aspect ratio.

My Sony RX100 will let you select aspect ratio including 16:9 widescreen format. Since I don't want to crop all photos before viewing on a TV I'll probably keep it as 16:9 even though it's cropping off the sensor. But it's 20MP and a 1" sensor.
 Snowmegeddon Volume 3. - smokie
Oh - dunno - for no good reason I'd assumed the question was about Android!!! An Apple advisor will be along soon I'm sure... :-)
Apple has decided photos get taken at an aspect ratio of 4:3. I'm not sure what happens resolution/sensor wise when you take a photo in landscape vs. portrait by rotating the phone.

If you are recording video which is 16:9 ratio then you can then take a photo that is also 16:9. Resolution of photos in 16:9 ratio will of course be lower than 4:3.

On the RX100 for example, the default is 3:2 I think (could be 4:3) and 20MP max. for 16:9 it is 17MP.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 4 Mar 18 at 19:07
 Snowmegeddon Volume 3. - Bromptonaut
And there it was, gone.

Even the pile on the grass where neighbour and I dumped stuff off drives is rapidly diminishing.
 Snowmegeddon Volume 3. - VxFan
>> And there it was, gone.

Still some drifts (a foot or more deep) on the side of the road on the way to work this morning. A couple of places the road width was so narrow you had to give way to traffic coming the other way before being able to pass the drifts.

Typical of our local council not clearing it with the snow ploughs. They were too busy Saturday evening gritting the roads in heavy rain, whilst the temperature was 6 deg C !!
 Snowmegeddon Volume 3. - helicopter
Plenty of snow still in Cumbria....see the photo in todays Telegraph of a place on the fells called Nenthead near Alston ....

My parents lived very near there during and just after the war before I was born and my old man once told me he had to exit a bedroom window to dig them out after the snow drifted over the house doors completely blocking them .He then had to try and find and dig out his flock of sheep and make sure that they were fed and watered.

They were snowed in for weeks but it was just part of life as a hill farmer in those days.
An acquaintance of mine bought a property in the village of Wearhead last year. It was a shop which he converted to residential.... from memory it cost £26k @ auction.
He has been communicating with a friend who is currently staying in Spain with us...it’s been pretty desperate up there, and it’s bleak to start with. Think he was snowed in for at least 4 days.
Godforsaken part of the N Pennines
 Snowmegeddon Volume 3. - Mapmaker
>>Godforsaken part of the N Pennines

God's own country. I love it.
Too remote for me.... I love the Dales, lived and walked the southern Dales most of my life, worked odd jobs around Swaledale & Wensleydale until recently, but upper Weardale is not to my liking.
A good pal of mine worked for Nissan in the NE and we spent lots of time around Cheviot country at weekends, but I was always glad to return to N Yorkshire on the Cumbria border.
 Snowmegeddon Volume 3. - T junction
Yes A686 Hartside still blocked. Had to do the extra 25 mile detour each way via Brampton and Carlisle to go south on M6 today.
 Snowmegeddon Volume 3. - Fullchat
Hartside Cafe off the agenda for a while.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-43315368
Oddly, FC, I was thinking of you a few minutes ago.... A lovely Aston DB9 passed me at er.. fullchat...what a machine.. it was howling. No snow by the way.
 Snowmegeddon Volume 3. - Fullchat
I'm touched :))
Latest Forum Posts