Motoring Discussion > N. Devon to Eastbourne Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 25

N. Devon to Eastbourne - MD
I’m likely to be making that trip to arrive in Eastbourne at 07.30. A weekday it will be. Any thoughts on which route? Over the top via M5 & M4 or down under on the 303?

You might gather I don’t go very far these days!

Thanks, MD.
 N. Devon to Eastbourne - Zero
A303 / a36/ m27 / A27.

M4 too far north. And leaves you with the nasty scenario of where to leave it, none of them good options.
Thank you.
 N. Devon to Eastbourne - PeterS
I agree with Z, with the caveat that it depends on date / time of day. We’re heading towards Festival of Speed dates, which make the A27 round Chichester a no-go area morning/evening, and Arundel / Worthing are a nightmare at rush hour any weekday. So the A272 can make quite a pleasant detour from Petersfield, with a road through Meon Valley from Winchester to Petersfield also a nice drive. Drop down the A22 (I think) from the A272 somewhere around Uckfield.

Edited to add, just seen what time you need to be in Eastbourne. I’d imagine no detour is necessary! Might help on the return though :)
Last edited by: PeterS on Mon 18 Jun 18 at 21:50
Good evening Peter.

Thanks for your input so far. If things go according to plan I could be leaving Eastbourne around 13.00 and I don’t know if it’s possible, but I wouldn’t mind making my way towards home via the South coast roads. It’s probably a dream I once had 40 years ago as I now understand that the south coast has been subject to ribbon development. Is that right?

Anyway, we would like to make a punt for somewhere to stay along the south coast just to make a bit of a break, stay in a Nice boozer or some such other hostelry for the night and one that hopefully has secure/safe parking for a large van, no dents required!!!

All thoughts gratefully received even inland a bit if necessary. It’s just to break up the slog home and of course - nice is better.

Regards.
 N. Devon to Eastbourne - Harleyman
The A272 is indeed a pleasant road, providing that you are not in any sort of a hurry.
The trouble with sticking to the south coast to go west from Eastbourne is that it’s very built up, congested and in many paces not that an attractive drive. The A259 is pretty much the coast road from Eastbourne to Emsworth, at which point it’s very difficult not to end up on the A27 (just before the A3 junction). Then you’ve got the Portsmouth sprawl, followed in short order by Southampton!

For a pleasant, if somewhat slow overall, drive I’d be inclined to stay north of the A27 until Southampon area and drive through/along the edge of the downs, which in some places gives you really good views of the coast. Then drop south of the A27, through the New Forest (A31/A35?) and along the Dorset coast to Devon.

Stop over wise, depends how much progress you want to make!

This place www.spotinthewoods.co.uk on the edge of the New Forest has great rooms and food, and parking will be fine. Used to be called Terravina, and was set up by Gerard Basset and his wide, who were do founders of the Hotel Du Vin chain. Now rebranded as they’ve stepped back after 10 years, with less focus on the hotel I think. But the staff are the same, and the food is excellent. As were the rooms last time we stayed there (only a year or so ago)

If you want to stop before then then you really need to stop before Portsmouth for the kind of accommodation I reckon you’re after...and the location!

For a coastal location I’d recommend www.crab-lobster.co.uk at Siddlesham - which is well south of the A27 towards Selsey!

Or staying north of the A27 in the downs, maybe:
www.royaloakeastlavant.co.uk
badgerspetworth.co.uk
thewhitehorse.co.uk/find/

THank you Peter, that’s very thorough. I like the sound of the spot in the woods and myself and the Management !! Will weigh up the options.

Kind regards.
You’re welcome...if you have any question or need further info just let me know.
 N. Devon to Eastbourne - Bromptonaut
>>Gerard Basset and his wide

Gave me a laugh...
>> >>Gerard Basset and his wide
>>
>> Gave me a laugh...
>>

Oops....Nina’s far from wide!! And very personable... sorry Nina!!
 N. Devon to Eastbourne - ChrisM
If you are using the A272 then just west of Petersfield is Langrish. Langrish House Hotel is good.
 N. Devon to Eastbourne - helicopter
If you are going to be travelling overnight to arrive at 0730 I would tend to favour M5 /M4/M25/M23 to Brighton junction then along A27 .
It may not be the prettiest but probably the fastest route.

The trouble with using A27 after M27 southern route is that Chichester to Brighton is a nightmare of roundabouts and congestion.

Coming back then the A27 up to A272 is indeed a very pleasant drive if you are not in any hurry , Petworth,Midhurst,Winchester etc but if you are driving a large van you are likely to find a build up of very frustrated car drivers behind you...
THank H..I can assure you that I WILL NOT be holding anyone up. It goes rather well and it’ll be empty. :-)
 N. Devon to Eastbourne - legacylad
You’ve probably held up more people than Dick Turpin
TIC
Saucy sod :-)
>> If you are going to be travelling overnight to arrive at 0730 I would tend
>> to favour M5 /M4/M25/M23 to Brighton junction then along A27 .
>> It may not be the prettiest but probably the fastest route.

And suffer M25 J15 to J10 in the morning?
He doesn’t care Zed. He has a helicopter or some such contraption..
 N. Devon to Eastbourne - helicopter
If he is aiming to be in Eastbourne at 0730 Zeddo he will be on M25 around 0530 to 6am so should be well before the rush hour and even if the traffic is heavy he stands a much better chance of avoiding delay by sticking to Motorways and avoiding the A roads.
 N. Devon to Eastbourne - wotspur
To arrive in Eastbourne for 7.30 AM , I would imagine leaving North Devon about Midnight to 0100 , at that time , I’d travel towards Exeter , across to Weymouth , Bournemouth , Soton , Chichester, Arundel etc . If he wanted to get there for 2pm , I’d go M4/m25m23/a27 ......
Alternatively drive to Plymouth and hire a boat
>> To arrive in Eastbourne for 7.30 AM , I would imagine leaving North Devon about
>> Midnight to 0100 , at that time , I’d travel towards Exeter , across to
>> Weymouth , Bournemouth , Soton , Chichester, Arundel etc . If he wanted to get
>> there for 2pm , I’d go M4/m25m23/a27 ......
>> Alternatively drive to Plymouth and hire a boat
>>
What did you say you did for a living? :-)
 N. Devon to Eastbourne - No FM2R
A35, A31, M27, A27.

I used to drive that route from Ottery to Brighton a lot. Though it was 7 or 8 years ago.
Ok, I just realised you're going to opposite direction. I'd still go that route though.
Any tips for the return trip say about 13.00 hrs. I’m guessing then that the route there should be avoided. Any thoughts/advice please.

M4???
Just stay clear of M25 clockwise J10 to j15
I would expect you to be in front of the heavy traffic at that time.
Latest Forum Posts