Motoring Discussion > New Focus Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 9

New Focus - Old Navy
I read in this week's Auto Express that Ford is putting an eight speed torque converter auto in the new Focus instead of the Powershift. Unfortunately still using the Ecoboost engines though.
 New Focus - PeterS
Yes I read that; interesting. Particularly because BMW has just gone the other way on the MINI and replaced the 8 speed auto with a seven speed dual clutch transmission. Based on the MINi I test drove the 8 speed box was poorly matched and rather laggy, so the change is positive from my perspective. Why the 8 speed ‘box didn’t suit it is odd, because in a BMW that gearbox is pretty good! The local Ford dealer was not really that interested in selling an auto Fiesta; perhaps there are changes for it too and they knew they wouldn’t have anything to sell?
 New Focus - R.P.
Mine was in for a service today....looked at a 330e....has no gearbox at all !
 New Focus - Old Navy
You would enjoy the queue at the charging gadget. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 5 Jul 18 at 21:51
 New Focus - R.P.
Seems to be a hybrid...proper at that 2.0 litre petrol and an 87bhp electric motor
 New Focus - rtj70
Why did they remove the gearbox from the 330e? How else is the petrol engine going to propel it? It's not a range extender.

I wonder if the imminent new 3 series will have a plug-in hybrid from the outset? You can't order a 330e now because the new 3 series is imminent.
 New Focus - Duncan
>> You would enjoy the queue at the charging gadget. :-)
>>

You do have a bit of a thing about this, don't you?

Try not to worry. I am sure that the people buying electric cars have thought this through.

They will most probably have charging facilities at home. Many of the MSA charging points are quick; quick enough not to be a worry.

By the time electric powered cars are any where near universal (you and I won't be here) I suggest cars will be unrecognisable. They will perhaps have the facility to drive themselves round to a street charging point in the middle of the night, get charged and then drive themselves back. So in the morning the owner comes of of their bedsit and the car is waiting for them, fully charged, ready to go.
 New Focus - Old Navy
I am sure you are right, but I have seen MSAs with all (both) chargers occupied, what does discharged car three do form a queue? I know that BP is buying a charging outfit and installing chargers at petrol stations but the infrastructure will not, as you say, be viable for decades.
 New Focus - Stuartli
A close friend, whose business's main offices are being fully refurbished, has a number of fellow directors and management members who run expensive luxury hybrid vehicles.

As a result, the refurbishment includes a number of charging points being incorporated into the front section of the offices.
 New Focus - Old Navy
They will still have to queue with the great unwashed when out of their area.
Latest Forum Posts