Motoring Discussion > JD Power 2018 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 20

JD Power 2018 - movilogo
www.am-online.com/news/manufacturer/2018/07/11/hyundai-suzuki-and-kia-top-jd-power-s-2018-uk-vehicle-dependability-study
 JD Power 2018 - Bill Payer
Honda's way further down that list than I'd have expected.
 JD Power 2018 - movilogo
So is Toyota. Don't think Honda cares about UK market anymore.

South Korea is the new Japan.
 JD Power 2018 - Boxsterboy
Citroen worse than Peugeot - that'll be the C6 effect then!
 JD Power 2018 - Clk Sec
Perhaps Z should have bought an Insignia...
 JD Power 2018 - DP
I was admiring a new Insignia yesterday. Fabulous looking car, especially in black.

I've never understood these surveys. You have Audi 3rd from bottom, Volkswagen mid-table and Skoda and SEAT 4th and 6th respectively. Yet as far as the oily bits are concerned, they are all the same thing with common engines, transmissions, and a vast number of shared components. There is no logical reason I can think of for an Audi to be less reliable than a Volkswagen, or a Volkswagen to be less reliable than a Skoda.

JD Power 2018 - Zero

>> There is no logical reason I can think of for an Audi to
>> be less reliable than a Volkswagen, or a Volkswagen to be less reliable than a
>> Skoda.

There isn't any logical reason. Its all abut owner expectations, and if they have been met or not. JD power is much more subjective rather than fact based.
>> I've never understood these surveys. You have Audi 3rd from bottom, Volkswagen mid-table and Skoda
>> and SEAT 4th and 6th respectively.

You can understand Skoda being highly placed as owners are very loyal / defensive, although that may be changing as their cars have wider appeal now.

SEAT's position makes less sense - we had one for a few years and the dealers generally seem to be regarded as terrible.

I'd agree that likely Audi fare badly due to owner expectations.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Thu 12 Jul 18 at 11:57
 JD Power 2018 - Tigger
>> I've never understood these surveys. You have Audi 3rd from bottom, Volkswagen mid-table and Skoda and SEAT 4th and 6th respectively.

The mechanics may be the same, but I'd expect Skoda and Seat to sell relatively more of the simple models without lots of forward facing cameras, lane change technology etc - so boosting their position in the rankings.

In an ideal world, the study would separate out drivetrain/mechanical/engine management aspects from infotainment and the new driver assstance tech - but I don't think that happens.
 JD Power 2018 - DP
>> In an ideal world, the study would separate out drivetrain/mechanical/engine management aspects from infotainment and
>> the new driver assstance tech - but I don't think that happens.
>>
That's a good point. A colleague has a 2017 Mercedes C250 which has been mechanically faultless, but the infotainment system has never worked properly since he took delivery. Random reboots, features disappearing, freezing/crashing etc.

It has completely ruined the car for him.
 JD Power 2018 - No FM2R
>>I've never understood these surveys.

It's marketing crap mostly. There is so much pre- and self-selection involved that the figures cannot be taken at a simplistic face value.

In fact J.D.Power's main business is to supply data to companies for their internal use. That data is much better classified, analysed and presented and the conclusions or indicators much more valuable than this public survey.

JD Power 2018 - Zero
>> Perhaps Z should have bought an Insignia...

Its a sharp looking motor, but they don't do a 6 cyl 347hp petrol.
 JD Power 2018 - Shiny
KIA and Hyundai are the same cars underneath the styling (KIA own Hyundai) and are only one make apart. I personally find them to be awful with lots of niggles that most blasé owners don't even notice, let alone care about - they just want maximum bling minimum price and LED DRLs.
 JD Power 2018 - sooty123
I personally find them to be awful with lots of niggles
>> that most blasé owners don't even notice, let alone care about - they just want
>> maximum bling minimum price and LED DRLs.
>>

What sort of niggles?
 JD Power 2018 - Stuartli
>>(KIA own Hyundai)>>

Wrong way round.
 JD Power 2018 - Tigger
>> KIA and Hyundai are the same cars underneath the styling (KIA own Hyundai) and are
>> only one make apart. I personally find them to be awful with lots of niggles
>> that most blasé owners don't even notice, let alone care about...

That would be the Hyundai and Kia who poached Peter Schreyer and Luc Donckerwolke to lead their designs?

I'm very happy with my Sorento. Maybe if the owners don't notice some of the things that you claim to see, then they're the ones who have the right view on the world?

>> They just want maximum bling minimum price and LED DRLs.
That's just offensive.
Last edited by: Tigger on Thu 12 Jul 18 at 22:41
 JD Power 2018 - Fullchat
4 Kias sat on my drive at the moment.

MILs Picanto had a new engine bottom end well out of warranty due to crankshaft manufacturing defect. No quibbles just got on with it.

Any of the issues I've had - sorted.

Positive Kia experience here.
 JD Power 2018 - legacylad
Friends wife bought a new Sportage 4 years ago.....myriad problems the first few years, but sorted by dealer although the time off road being fixed ran into months.
Since the mileage went over 100k last year, it’s been perfect!
That Hyundai i30N looks interesting.....
 JD Power 2018 - Zero
Friend of mine buys his wife a new baby kia every three years. Why do you buy Kias I asked him, for the 7 year warranty he says.
 JD Power 2018 - Manatee
>> Friend of mine buys his wife a new baby kia every three years. Why do
>> you buy Kias I asked him, for the 7 year warranty he says.

Contingency plan in case his circumstances change and he has to keep it? Is he very risk averse?
>> Friend of mine buys his wife a new baby kia every three years. Why do
>> you buy Kias I asked him, for the 7 year warranty he says.
>>
Maybe they hold their value well as there's still 4yrs warranty left?
Latest Forum Posts