Motoring Discussion > Poor parking. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 27

Poor parking. - Ted

This car, belonging to the house on the right, has been parked in this way for some considerable time. The house has about 3 cars, but enough space to park them all off-road.

The right turn here is quite difficult due to the proximity of the railway bridge and the speed at which some cars come over it. Once, on foot, I saw a car come over the brow with all four wheels off the tarmac !

When I took the photo, I was in the normal position on the give way line. There were, in fact, 5 other cars unseen, coming from my right.
So, about a month ago I emailed the local police about the situation and got a confirmation reply. To this day, the car continues to park fully on the footpath. I've emailed again tonight.

tinyurl.com/35kqbyk

The twist here, is that the householder is a serving Police officer, well known to be arrogant and unapproachable.
I'm not a serial complainer, but this junction is a bit risky at the best of times. In fact, I wouldn't let my MIL cross at all in the last years of her life, due to cars coming over the bridge.
We will see what, if anything, is done.

Ted

Poor parking. - RattleandSmoke
This is a problem in the area and not just on the pavement but also people parking on double yellows round corners blocking the view. I very much doubt the police will do anything but maybe a local trafford warden on a bike might be a bit more interested.

I think there needs to be a big crack down on pavement parking.
 Poor parking. - smokie
Don't entirely disagree but there are probably bigger priorities...
 Poor parking. - Ted

I don't park on the pavement myself, but I can see why people do. It seems to be a habit, with some. Nearly everyone in our road puts 2 wheels on the footpath, why ? I don't know, it's not too busy and it's wide enough for two cars to be parked opposite each other on the road and still let traffic through. Our 85 yr old pavements are in a terrible state.

To my mind, if our Picasso culprit had parked on the road, at least you could see up his nearside to the summit of the bridge and he may also have had the effect of creating a 'chicane ' slowing traffic down a bit. There are no yellow lines here.

I agree, pavement parking not a priority, but a complaint should be followed up by at least a quiet word to the offender. Parking on the footpath is still an offence. Thet'd rake in a fortune round here if they decided to ticket everyone......no need for government cutbacks then !

Ted
 Poor parking. - Dog
He parks his car there because it is less vulnerable than parking on the highway,
He don't give a stuff about other people,
Being the car is on the pavement, I would have a word with the council about it,
A nice 'no parking' sticker with some evil strong adhesive usually gets the message across.
 Poor parking. - Zero
Its an offence to park on the pavement. End of.
 Poor parking. - Iffy
..Its an offence to park on the pavement. End of...

Except when it isn't - in parts of London, for example.

Poor parking. - Zero
>> ..Its an offence to park on the pavement. End of...
>>
>> Except when it isn't - in parts of London, for example.

Only in areas marked by the required information plate,.
 Poor parking. - hobby
>> there are probably bigger priorities...
>>
How long would it take them to deal with this, though? 10 minutes?

And they could save someone having a crash... good use of their time, I'd say...

(They could even deal with it at the police station without even going out to it, if its really a copper's car!)

Incidentally, if it was parked on the road it would surely be illegal as its too close to the junction? On that basis, parking it on the pavement should be illegal for the same reason... blocking the view of other motorists...
Last edited by: hobby on Tue 31 Aug 10 at 09:06
 Poor parking. - Skoda
In a similar road configuration North Lanarkshire council suddenly put in a mini roundabout at the junction one morning.

As best i can tell it's worked, traffic no longer builds up on the minor route part of the junction, but crucially, traffic rarely approaches on the main route at 40mph+ making it a hard junction to use.

Poor parking. - Ted

Got a quick reply from a PCSO this morning....

'I am aware that an officer did check on this vehicle and did not feel it was causing an obstruction on the day it was seen for the owner to be asked to move it.

I will pass the details again onto the officers who cover the area. '

So, no action by the real police then, in spite of an absolute offence of parking on the footpath.

Perhaps they should ask the Road Patrol to have a look at it from where I was..
I don't suppose they will. We'll have to wait until some slow elderly person on their way to the Post Office comes to grief.

Ted

Poor parking. - Boxsterboy
I wonder if the officer who checked the car was the officer who owned the car!? Even if it wasn't causing an obstruction 'the officer' should have given it a ticket for parking on the pavement.

Conspiracy theorist? Moi??
 Poor parking. - Old Navy
If you park your car there when the Picasso has moved I reckon you will get a ticket PDQ.
 Poor parking. - rtj70
Report it to the council for a community enforcement officer to come along. If it's a bad obstruction then you can report it to the police via the non-emergency number of GM police (0161 872 5050)
 Poor parking. - R.P.
There is no absolute offence of pavement parking unless it's specifically enacted - generally it must cause an obstruction and needs a subjective test.
 Poor parking. - Bellboy
would a wheel chair with roman spikes on the wheels help with the subjective test?
 Poor parking. - RattleandSmoke
I see GMP are at their usual tricks again. As for PCSOs their reply makes them look quite stupid. There is two offences there, but then PCSOs have never really had anything to do with the law.
 Poor parking. - Dwight Van Driver
Ignoring the offence of parking on a pavement this is taramount to the offence of causing a vehicle to remain at rest in such a postion as likely to cause danger . NOIP'able. Section 22 RTA 1988 £1000 fine 3 points.

Why?

It is obscuring the veies of oncoimg traffic for anyone wishing to pull out of the junction.

Seems they are pussyfooting about the problem. Time to go to Plod statiopn and raise cain with Plod i/c.

dvd
 Poor parking. - TheManWithNoName
could you buy some large sticky labels in A4 or A3 size and slap on the screen stating 'This car is an Obstruction'.

Might make the owner think twice about leaving it there.

Is there an offence to 'stick' something on someones property without causing any actual harm or damage?
 Poor parking. - Dog
>>could you buy some large sticky labels in A4 or A3 size and slap on the screen stating 'This car is an Obstruction'<<

Only problem with with that suggestion is that the Mancunian car owner might not be best pleased :(
 Poor parking. - Old Navy
How about emailing a link to this thread to him, c/o the local cop shop if necessary.
 Poor parking. - diddy1234
interesting.

If a car parked like that was round my way, it would soon have a parking ticket slapped on it.

The reason would be that it is parked within 5 meters of a road junction (even when it is off the road surface).
 Poor parking. - hawkeye
>> the householder is a serving Police officer,
>>
>>

Bit of hedge abuse by neglect going on there as well; if it is indeed the alleged offender's hedge.
 Poor parking. - Ted

Local police now saying they have no knowledge of a police officer at this house.......No ?..
funny all the neighbours know !
Lot of hedge abuse, I agree. But, wait for it, the hedge has been destroyed to put in a gate, to allow access for another car via a rough stone ramp across the lawn......and, they've made small tarmac ramps on the road surface to get up the kerb...just by where the Picasso is parked.
Those could make a cyclist's eyes water on a dark night !

I will rack up the action later in the week.

Ted
 Poor parking. - Dog
I've had another look at that car, and I'd be careful if I were you, it could be a plant.
 Poor parking. - swiss tony
as street parking goes, thats a nightmare!
 Poor parking. - Bellboy
its illegal round my way to lower a kerb for a voiture
you need carnsill plannings
 Poor parking. - hobby
What I was thinking too, BB... Don't the Council need to do any changes to the kerbs/pavement... sounds like he making things worse for himself... You could get the Council involved now as well!!
Latest Forum Posts