Motoring Discussion > Toyota Avensis - Main dealer servicing
Thread Author: Phil F Replies: 15

Toyota Avensis - Main dealer servicing - Phil F
Hi,
My Avensis is due for a 20k service shortly,so far it has FTSH.£220 for what amounts to oil/filter change,brake fluid change,new air filter,all the rest is visual checks.
I could change air filter myself,most mechanics I ask would not change the brake fluid every 2 years...(some have laughed at that idea!).
On the face of it this does not sound like very good value for money,or am I either missing something or completely out of touch?!
I have noticed that the price gap between your local independant and main dealers for servicing is getting narrow now.
Any views on this would be most welcome......
Cheers,Phil.
 Toyota Avensis - Main dealer servicing - Zero
Phil

How old is the car? My rough rule of thumb is Manufacturers servicing during warranty - wherever you like when its expired.
Morning Zero,
The car is 5 years old now,and I agree with you about not using manufacturers after warranty is out.The only other thing is Toyota warranty these cars for 7 years against the dreaded oil consumption problems,but mine has done 37,000 without using any oil so far touch wood!!
So its yet another insurance policy really at this point.
Is £220 a reasonable sum for a so called major service/inspection these days,whether main dealer or indy?
Phil.
 Toyota Avensis - Main dealer servicing - madf
£220 is dirt cheap for a major service..

Oarts alone from a dealer would be c £70...
 Toyota Avensis - Main dealer servicing - Zero
Its not a bad price, I piad nearly 90 quid for parts for the service I did on the Lancer.
 Toyota Avensis - Main dealer servicing - Iffy
Focus services alternate between small and large.

Around £200-£250 is what I'd expect to pay for a large service at a main dealer.

Toyota Avensis - Main dealer servicing - Bill Payer
Usual SEAT dealer wanted £220 for a basic service (oil & filter change and some checks) and brake fluid on daughter's car recently but eventually agreed £160. They also don't charge for courtesy car which is £10 / £12.50 in a lot of places now. One thing I will say is they do a very good interior and exterior valet - normally I ask for cars not to be cleaned but on her slightly rough looking black Ibiza they do a very good job.

I had resolved to get this service done somewhere else but I just don't know a trusty local garage.
 Toyota Avensis - Main dealer servicing - Skoda
Par for the course pricing where i am (these can be beaten, just the avg sticker price that's all) -->

Oil & Filter change £56
Brake fluid change £50
Misc filters (pollen, air, fuel) £60
Visual inspection £80

== £246

So you're already ahead for main dealer servicing by my (not 100% accurate admittedly) counting.

Could you play 2 or 3 local dealers / indie's off each other for a best quote?
 Toyota Avensis - Main dealer servicing - corax
>> The car is 5 years old now,and I agree with you about not using manufacturers
>> after warranty is out.The only other thing is Toyota warranty these cars for 7 years
>> against the dreaded oil consumption problems,but mine has done 37,000 without using any oil so
>> far touch wood!!

You should be OK regarding oil consumption problems as Toyota sorted this out around 2003.

Full service for my Dads Avensis was £198 all inc. at the local garage. This included:

Oil and filter change
Coolant change
Spark plugs
Air filter
Pollen filter

I think the main dealer price is reasonable.
 Toyota Avensis - Main dealer servicing - Victorbox
My Vauxhall dealer replaces the brake fluid every two years and you can certainly feel the difference in the brakes, plus go too long and water in brake fluid can cause corrosion as well as reduce boiling point.
 Toyota Avensis - Main dealer servicing - Fenlander
Phil parts and fluids will cost you £45 to do this yourself. I'd happily leave the brake fluid another year but don't leave it longer.

£220 is a fair price at a main dealer. The difference in value to a 5yr old car for main dealer servicing isn't thought to be worth the cost.

Your call really as to how you view the car vs your pocket.
 Toyota Avensis - Main dealer servicing - Bill Payer
It's all backside covering really, isn't it?

My Merc will go 2 yrs between servicing, although MB have gone back to 12mths now, allegedly because as the cars got more reliable again the dealers were running low on work.

And Honda brake fluid lasts 3yrs - is it really so different to everyone else's?

The trouble is, if you ignore the recommended intervals you'd always have a nagging doubt if anything happened.
 Toyota Avensis - Main dealer servicing - -
Ask the dealer if they mind you supplying your own oil, my one was quite happy with this and resulted in around £50 overall saving, roughly £70 off the bill for 7.5 litres.

Toyota servicing is very reasonably priced it's the amount they charge for semi synthetic oil that pushes the price up.
Hi everybody,
Sorry for delay responding to your comments,all very helpfull.I think I will just pay up and shut up!
As I said,having asked around,there isnt a vast difference in price if I take it to an indy.I am a bit surprised that the brake fluid needs replacing so often,but what do I know?
At least I can enjoy the free coffee and perhaps contemplate swapping it for an Aygo while I am there...£20 road tax...grp1 insurance...runs on air....
Cheers again,
Phil
 Toyota Avensis - Main dealer servicing - John H

>> to an indy.I am a bit surprised that the brake fluid needs replacing so often,but
>> what do I know?
>>

On HJ's forum, iirc some of the techies here told us it did not need replacing that often and that "water in brake fluid can cause corrosion as well as reduce boiling point" was just hyped up fear mongering.
 Toyota Avensis - Main dealer servicing - madf
I DIY and my sums are:
Cost of new fluid £5.
Cost of my time free.

Cost of new brake cylinders.. £s, new calipers ££s and new ABS unit £££s.

I think it's called preventative maintenance...

Simples.
Latest Forum Posts