Motoring Discussion > DSG gearbox – jerky gear changes Miscellaneous
Thread Author: wazza Replies: 3

DSG gearbox – jerky gear changes - wazza
Had a drive in a Peugeot 3008 1.6 diesel fitted with a DSG box. Basically it is a semi-automatic. Have noticed the gear changes are a bit jerky. Is this normal? This is the first car i have driven with DSG gearbox. I expected smooth changes as per fully automatic gearbox.
 DSG gearbox – jerky gear changes - ....
Yes it's normal Peugeot call it egc it's different to VAG's double clutch system in that it is only a single clutch.
You modify your driving slightly and ease off the throttle when the car shifts up a gear.
 DSG gearbox – jerky gear changes - Netsur
Yes - the Peugeot/Citroen semi-automatic is definitely not DGS but mre akin to the Smart semi-auto which lurches quite a bit unless you back off as the box changes. I have driven a VW DSG and was very impressed by the refinement and economy.
 DSG gearbox – jerky gear changes - Boxsterboy
Yes, the gearbox is an automated manual (like a Smart). An electrically operated clutch and gearchange, rather than a twin clutch VAG DSG-type gearbox.

Driving it in fully automatic mode is a bit like being driven as a blind-folded passenger, when you don't have a clue when the driver will change gear, and your body lurches forward when the change comes.

You will get used to it. A bit. But it will never be as smooth as a torque-converter gearbox, or a VAG DSG gearbox. Try driving it in manual mode which is more satisfying. Driving it in auto mode requires a slight lift-off of the throttle whne the change comes (you will get used to the change points in time).

The main reason why some manufacturers are plugging these automated manuals is that they offer lower emissions, sometimes lower than the manual car with the same engine.
Latest Forum Posts