Motoring Discussion > Mercedes Benz - M-B A class
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 14

Mercedes Benz - M-B A class - Roger.
Any thoughts on the mark2 (2006 -2008 ish) either diesel or petrol with the the CVT box.
Internet research, as is often the case, highlights problems rather than good experiences.
www.carsite.co.uk/used-car/mercedes-benz/a-class/sat_9209_88837461
for instance.
 Mercedes Benz - M-B A class - carmalade
One to avoid with the cvt auto box . Notoriously troublesome and expensive to fix. If you haven’t already driven an A:B class, I suggest you do . Not to everyone’s taste.
 Mercedes Benz - M-B A class - Fenlander
Despite being aware there have been negative comments on here about the B-class in the past, and that they get a fair amount of negatives on other sites too... I've had one in mind for the past year or so as I no longer need such a long car as my estate and going to the shorter more upright style might suit. They fall nicely between medium hatch and MPV.

I've looked at several and in a decent spec they are nicely trimmed. The way they have a flat floor... i.e. they are missing that few inches drop down as you step over the sill... is a little odd and I'm still not sure if I like that arrangement or not.

Ride and handling good for class... very roomy and seats comfy for me.

Our local garage we've bought two cars from and seem to know their stuff refuse to buy them in as they've had bad luck with several. For example the advised way to change a starter motor is to drop the engine and subframe... the engine is so tight to the bulkhead it's near impossible to do anything down the back of it.

Having said all that I'm not totally put off so if I tripped over a good spec and colour locally I might be tempted.

Agree with above...only get a normal auto version not the CVT which are prone to throwing gearbox error messages/codes then costing serious money.
 Mercedes Benz - M-B A class - Fenlander
And that's if a normal auto is available... I don't know.
CVT is the only auto available on the model at which I am looking.
Last edited by: Roger. on Mon 4 Feb 19 at 13:20
 Mercedes Benz - M-B A class - Avant
Whatever you do, avoid the diesel with CVT. I had a B200 CDI from 2006 to 2008 and the combination of 4-cylinder diese+, CVT and a distinct lack of soundproofing made for a continuous, appalling drone - much like a London taxi only louder.

It was comfy and roomy: if I'd gone for a petrol B200 I might have liked it better.
 Mercedes Benz - M-B A class - Lygonos

I'll not mention the one-speed autobox on my B-Class...

Isn't the A Class a bit 'gloomy' inside compared to the wheeled greenhouse that is Jazz?
We went for a test drive in a 1.5 litre petrol A class with cvt and while it was a bit slow (but the Jazz isn't quick), we liked the ease of getting in an out plus the general feel of the interior

As an aside the pesky exhaust on our Jazz has just blown.
Jam and butter.
 Mercedes Benz - M-B A class - CGNorwich
I thought you told us you were sticking with the Jazz. Did you decide to take the money form DTD then?
The offer from wbac was very good, but we did not find a suitable replacement, so had to let it lie.
I'm still dripping into Deidre's ears about a new to us set of wheels. Stone can be worn down , eventually, I do hear!!
I had a fresh on line start value from wbac of £1225,,giving a net figure - the car is essential unchanged - a net of just under £1100, which, imo, is still a decent deal.
I'm using a grand as a base for looking at total budget.
The thing is trying to find a car I want within budget.
I'm looking!

Last edited by: Roger. on Mon 4 Feb 19 at 18:15
 Mercedes Benz - M-B A class - Boxsterboy
The A-class is a great design, but not with the CVT. Like Avant I have tried B200CDI with this box and it is truly horrid (like all CVTs that don't have artificial step changes).
I like the Jazz CVT!
I'm not sure that comparisons with a B class are apposite, though.
Last edited by: Roger. on Wed 6 Feb 19 at 18:29
The Jazz had to have a new centre exhaust section today. The fitter warned me that the flange joining the cat with the exhaust pipe was severely rusted. He managed to secure it with the aid of Gun-Gum, so that's another cost looming in a few months. The rear box was fitted at the same time as the defunct middle box, so I guess there isn't too much life left in that either.
The downside of low mileage is water festering in exhaust pipes.
>> I like the Jazz CVT!
>> I'm not sure that comparisons with a B class are apposite, though.
>>
The comparison I meant to comment on was M-B A class to M-B B class
 Mercedes Benz - M-B A class - Boxsterboy

>> >> I'm not sure that comparisons with a B class are apposite, though.
>> >>
>> The comparison I meant to comment on was M-B A class to M-B B class
>>

A & B have the same platform, engines and gearboxes. Only the body size is different, so comparisons of the oily bits is very valid.
Latest Forum Posts