Motoring Discussion > Selling car privately Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 32

Selling car privately - Bobby
My son may be looking to sell his car privately as he has a chance of getting a great car from a colleague at a favourable price.

What are the dos and don'ts of this?

It is a 9 year old Fiesta Zetec S, so not going to appeal to the high end con thief but more likely to folk his age, another youngster looking to get a car that's a bit more than the basic Fiesta but not overly dear on insurance.

Currently he is the only one insured to drive it.

As a seller, my thoughts are you can't let anyone else drive it as not insured. As a buyer, I wouldn't be happy buying a car without driving it myself? How do you get round this?

Payment - I guess at this price, sub £3k, there is a chance it will be a bag of readies but if not, what is best way of transferring the money? Bank transfer there and then? So if money appears in his account can it be subsequently removed again by the buyer or their bank?

I realise a lot will be gained by just looking into the whites of their eyes and making a decision from there but any pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers
 Selling car privately - Fenlander
Don't worry too much... there are far more genuine (if indecisive) buyers than scammers.

I've just sold my BMW of the past 5yrs through Ebay. Advertised for £1500. On the initial contact through Ebay messaging I made it clear they could only drive it if they could show me an insurance cert with DOC cover. Guy was fine with this and he produced that.

I asked him if he wanted to use cash or bank transfer and he said cash. I just said that it must be £20s and/or £10s not £50s. He understood that and was happy to comply.

All went smoothly and off he went.

We use bank transfer now to pay for cars we buy but make sure the seller is au-fait with their internet banking first.
 Selling car privately - bathtub tom
As Fenlander states, but I insist on the cash being handed over in a PO, bank or building society. Security cameras, someone else is responsible for checking the notes and the money can go directly into your account. Pat got round the problem when the handover was done at night. She took the cash, saying "I'll pop this round to Jim's to put in his safe", leaving the purchaser with her husband. She drove round the corner, out of sight and waited for a call before driving home.

Never let a potential buyer have the keys while you're out of the car unless the car is blocked in.
I was lucky selling the BMW that the experience nicely rounded off a great ownership time. First guy to get in touch was very genuine and that meant I could bat away all the calls that immediately followed until he'd seen it.

He and his dad arrived from Bristol promptly am and they were a great couple of guys to chat to. Went over the car looking at the things they should have as if they'd just read the "what to look for buying a used E39" guide. Fine by me as it was spot on. I did the first part of the test run in a brisk but safe and comfortable manner and they were gobsmacked by its swift rural main road ability. Son then did the drive back checking the clutch on several starts and brakes on a hard emergency stop from speed. He was struggling to hide his delight as we got back.

He only offered £100 under asking so no point in haggling further. He taxed it online there and then insisting on showing me that was done before driving off.

Yep a really nice couple of guys.
 Selling car privately - No FM2R
There are nice people around, more than horrible people, it's just that selling cars seems to attract he wrong sort.

As long as your sensible then you'll have no problem. No cheques or drafts, cash in 20s or bank transfers.

Bank transfer being the safest.

As Fenlander said, make it clear BEFORE they come that they cannot drive it without insurance.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 1 May 19 at 17:22
>> >> So if money appears in his account can it be subsequently removed again by
>> the buyer or their bank?
>> No, it cannot.

Be careful, I think you'll find it can and has been by scammers. I don't know under what circumstances.
Not a bank transfer, I don't think.

Typically games with bankers drafts and cheques, especially endorsed cheques.

Selling car privately - zippy
Draw up a receipt with the date, reg number, vin if possible and saying sold as seen as a private sale with no guarantee or warranty etc with the price paid.

Get two copies and get the customer to sign both and keep one.

Some custards will get home, have buyers remorse and try to claim a fault and ask for a part refund.
 Selling car privately - Falkirk Bairn
Take a picture of the buyer standing beside your car.

It will deter every dishonest "buyer" /scammer /crook.

Take the buyer to a bank to hand over the cash / pay by bank card & have a pay-in slip filled out as a cash deposit into your account.
 Selling car privately - sooty123
>> Take the buyer to a bank to hand over the cash / pay by bank
>> card

might be a bit of a trek these days to find a bank!
It'd deter me as well. Try a take a photo of me next to the car? I don't think so. There's other cars out there.
 Selling car privately - legacylad
As zippy says. Sale invoice with all relevant details, mileage, sold as seen with no warranty etc. Signed and dated by both parties. Payment by online bank transfer the past few sales. I always include the words ‘ no known faults’ but don’t know how that stacks up in law, but as I’m a thoroughly good egg I’d never sell a car privately knowing it had a serious fault, and minor faults, dings and dents, would be pointed out.
Mileage I fill in on the day of sale, and I copy the service book ! I must have sold 30 cars and vans privately over the years without any comeback...using the normal advertising method....AT, word of mouth in the pub, family and friends, laminated A4 sheet displayed in car, FBook, local webpage.
Hope you have a successful sale
 Selling car privately - Crankcase
There's a long running and still updated thread on Pistonheads about selling cars at the lower end on Gumtree et al., in case anyone interested doesn't normally look there.

www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=210&t=1564846

By all means put all the "without warranty" guff in a receipt but the core thing to remember with consumer law is that as a private seller the car doesn't have to be fit for purpose or of merchantable quality... nor are you obliged to volunteer faults. All you have to be careful of is the description wording and any verbal statements or answers made when they visit.

For example don't say excellent condition, no rust, full service history or perfect engine and such phrases... make sure no phrase contains words that would to the average person (or legal folks) indicate a specific condition of any aspect.

I make sure my adverts are fact based and then any other words are "meaningless" ones such as very clean... genuine... great load carrier for our holidays… and so on.
I may also be selling my Civic privately as well.

Re the insurance aspect, my own insurance covers me to drive other cars third party. However i would be wanting any prospective owner to have comprehensive insurance to drive mine.

I will ask my own insurer if there is any way I can get cover for the selling period but even then how do I know that insurance they provide me with is legit, premiums been paid etc?

I wouldn't want someone else driving the car without comp insurance!
>>>I wouldn't want someone else driving the car without comp insurance!

That makes it difficult... you'd have to up your policy to an any driver one and make sure any test driver is over any age stipulation of your insurer.

Re other folks insurance you can only ask for a certificate etc and make your own judgement.

If you are uncertain about any of this make it clear they can't drive it. If I was very interested in a particular car it wouldn't stop me buying it.
 Selling car privately - martin aston
I agree with Fenlander.

Alternatvely insurance can be bought online by the hour and that might be an option for your prospective buyer to arrange on the spot but expect a hefty excess.

Have you checked WBAC etc to see if they make a good offer?

Selling cars yourself can be stressful.
Last edited by: martin aston on Thu 30 May 19 at 12:15
Going a bit far there with Comprehensive insurance, I feel, but if that's what you want then you need to be more careful then simply asking or looking at a certificate.

I could print you a comprehensive certificate of insurance showing I could drive your car in less than 10 minutes.

Believe nothing you see or hear from anybody about anything when selling a car.

Have a look at this;

www.cuvva.com/landing/temporary-gocompare/?_branch_match_id=618146723737691979

One hour insurance, as quick as you like, and you can insist it is arranged by you or in front of you. There's a phone App.

Get them to go all over the car until the test drive is the only thing in the way of a sale, and then get the insurance.

Obviously other insurers are available.
 Selling car privately - henry k
>>Obviously other insurers are available.
Thanks for the link FM2R
I was not aware insurance was available for as little as one hour.
When I bought my current car I was not prepared to trust the owners insurance, a very nice genuine lady, so I took out a 24 hour insurance and then gave the car a test drive. That way a much more relaxed test drive.
>>Have you checked WBAC etc to see if they make a good offer?

Yeah interesting range of prices - WBAC around £6300, the main dealers Arnold Clark, Evans etc all quoting around the £7k mark but I reckon could get around £7500- £8000 privately.

Helped by full dealer service history, 4x new crosscllimates and another free service still to come for the new owner.
 Selling car privately - CGNorwich
You will get a grand's worth of hassle selling privately. Evans Halshaw for me.
What's wrong with getting them to sign a 'you bend it, you buy it' agreement?
 Selling car privately - PeterS
>> What's wrong with getting them to sign a 'you bend it, you buy it' agreement?
>>

if you do, you have to be able to enforce it. And, permitting someone to drive (on a public road) without insurance is in itself an offence. No idea what the penalty is mind, but it’s not something I’d like to find out!
Funnily enough this thread should come up, I've just sold our second car privately. I advertised it on fb and gumtree, sold in about a week. Had a couple of timewasters emailing me and one no show but nothing too dramatic.
Bloke turned up had a look around, took it for a test drive, agreed a price. Went inside, I counted the money while he filled his details on the v5. That was it all done and dusted in less than half an hour.
Sooty, that sounds ideal!

Did you bother with the insurance question?
>> Sooty, that sounds ideal!
>>
>> Did you bother with the insurance question?
>>

No, he said he did. He seemed a nice enough chap so i took him at face value plus it's very quiet around here.
 Selling car privately - legacylad
With one solitary exception, out of all the myriad cars I’ve sold privately over 40+ years, I’ve never let anyone apart from myself behind the wheel on a test drive.
If they want to see how fast it will go then book a test drive of a similar car at a garage. Squeaks and rattles will show up no matter who’s driving, and the potential buyer can see if the cars pulls to one side under heavy braking. They can always pay for a professional inspection, and I’m more than happy to take the car to a garage of their choosing, within reason, if they pay for said inspection.
I'm not sure I'd buy a car I hadn't driven. Perhaps just me, I don't think it'd feel right perhaps irrational but there you go.
 Selling car privately - Zero
>> I'm not sure I'd buy a car I hadn't driven.

You never get to drive the car you buy brand new.
Buying a car is a risk. We all try to reduce risk. Buying a brand new car is one way, test driving the actual vehicle is another.

It is really to the sellers advantage to facilitate a test drive, the buyer can always find another car.
I have no qualms (other than insurance) about selling the car privately - there is nothing to hide or fear of someone coming back to me. I will be totally honest and upfront with them about everything to do with the car.

Only slight issue is that occasionally the clutch judders if the conditions are damp on the first couple of uses until the moisture is removed from the clutch plate presumably.

The car has always been like this, it is a known "characteristic of the Civic", it only happens as I say the first couple of times you use it in wet but that may be enough to put off a prospective buyer who may think there is a more serious issue.

Anyway, I will know on Monday whether a new car is coming my way or not....
>>I have no qualms (other than insurance) about selling the car privately

I hate it and I'm not good at it. Buying a car is OK but selling is horrible. I always end up taking a loss just to get rid of it, usually part exchange or similar.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 31 May 19 at 16:11
>> >> I'm not sure I'd buy a car I hadn't driven.
>>
>> You never get to drive the car you buy brand new.
>>

True but new cars are a bit different from buying private as being discussed. I never thought much about that though as I've never bought a new car.
Latest Forum Posts