Motoring Discussion > Car database? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 17

Car database? - Crankcase
Years ago I seem to recall some sort of online database where you could put in your desired aspects of a car, and it would spit out those that matched.

The reason I mention it is that my sister, who knows nothing about cars, wants me to help her to find a new vehicle (car, SUV, whatever).

Her criteria are, she thinks, simple - it must be manual, petrol, and crucially to her for reasons I won't bother with, "must have a wading depth at least the same or higher than her 2015 Ford Ecosport, ideally be not be much bigger, must be a bit more powerful, and not be as much as twice the price but can be a bit more expensive than a new Ecosport would be. Can't just have a new Ecosport, not really powerful enough. Struggles on the hills."

I'm faced with identifying all the possibly suitable vehicles in the UK, then trying to find their "wading depth" in each case, which I've already found isn't always on the manufacturer's websites. Then the dimensions. Then the hp/torque. Whether they are available in a petrol with a manual box. what the price might be for that. Etc etc.

I don't MIND doing this, it's quite fun and interesting, but she'll be ready for the car after this one at this rate.

It would be easier if I could chuck this info into a database somewhere with filters. Anybody know of anything?

Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 26 Jul 19 at 11:26
 Car database? - sooty123
I think wading depth is a very niche requirement, I think a 4x4 forum might know about wading depth.

Couldn't she get a more powerful version of the ecosport?

>> Couldn't she get a more powerful version of the ecosport?

Ford brochure, he say:

Manual, petrol 125ps or 140ps engine. Hurrah. 140ps it is.

Ford configurator, he say:

Manual, petrol, 125ps only. Boo.

So who knows? She is going to check with the Ford dealer; my job is to provide alternatives assuming he says sorry, love, 125ps only. Or more likely, "you don't want to worry your pretty little head over boys' number, my sweet, here, I've got a 1999 Fiesta here, drives superb, only 18k to you". And she'll say "yeah, ok then" and come home all pleased.

Anyway I can't believe the Ecosport is the "best" choice, even if she doesn't know it.

Car database? - smokie
Next door has a Kia Niro, seems to have the bells and whistles required in today's cars at a decent price. I've no idea how it compares to the ticklist or the Ecosport though.
 Car database? - tyrednemotional
>>
>> Ford brochure, he say:
>>
>> Manual, petrol 125ps or 140ps engine. Hurrah. 140ps it is.
>>
>> Ford configurator, he say:
>>
>> Manual, petrol, 125ps only. Boo.
>>

....140ps (manual) engine in the ST-Line version only.....
Thanks. ST only agrees with configurator. Brochure clearly says Titanium and ST. Forgot to mention she doesn't want the ST, unsurprisingly, but would have liked a Titanium as that what she has now.

Anyway, nobody has said there's an obvious database, just click this link, so I'll just have to do it the slow way.

And write a database. I shall be rich.

>> Thanks. ST only agrees with configurator. Brochure clearly says Titanium and ST.

The current downloadable brochure (April 2019) and pricelist (July 2019) both have the 140ps engine available only in the ST-line......
I'm looking at this. Page 3 of 10,table with six columns, column four. Says "available on titanium, St-line" for the 140PS six speed manual engine? Am I misreading it?

www.ford.co.uk/content/dam/guxeu/uk/documents/feature-pdfs/FT-New_EcoSport.pdf
...you seem to have an abridged version of what I downloaded. I agree that it does show the 140ps engine for the titanium on the pages you reference (and incidentally, on the corresponding pages in the download I have).

The detail spec page for the titanium, however, shows only the 120ps petrol engine (or the diesel), and the current pricelist also reflects this.
 Car database? - Zero
>> I think wading depth is a very niche requirement, I think a 4x4 forum might
>> know about wading depth.

I suspect your sister does not even know what "wading depth" is, but has confused it with "ground clearance over puddles"
Wading depth, yes, you're right. She wrote off a Fiesta going through water under a railway bridge and is now obsessed with something where that won't happen again as "it's on her regular route".

No amount of persuasion that on the three days a year it might be an issue you go another way, or perhaps don't drive into puddles when you don't know the depth in the first place will persuade her she just needs another Fiesta, so there we are.

Car database? - Zero
It was easier a few years back, the answer to every "what car" query was "Mondeo TDCI"
 Car database? - Avant
We have something like this that may help you on HJ.

www.honestjohn.co.uk then click on 'reviews' and then on 'Pick your next car'.

We haven't got ground clearance as a criterion but 'raised driving position' will probably yield suitable SUVs.
Last edited by: Avant on Fri 26 Jul 19 at 17:01
Oh, thanks Avant! I'll look. I might even remember my password. I do remember my user name so that's a start....

Well, after many hours on my part trying to find the exact specifications my sister wanted in some sort of vehicle, her choice has been communicated to me.

She's decided she can't have a new car at all, because of conkers.

Sigh.
 Car database? - Duncan

>> She's decided she can't have a new car at all, because of conkers.

Pardon?
Huge tree at end of drive drops conkers. She's just discovered a zillion dents in the existing car roof. Can't use garage, full of stuff. Not apparently possible to clear stuff. Doesn't want conker dents in new car, hence no new car.

I guess there's some logic there somewhere.
 Car database? - No FM2R
tinyurl.com/y6ctyrqw
Latest Forum Posts