Motoring Discussion > New Wheels. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 30

New Wheels. - Zero
Have joined the Zero fleet, Have acquired a 2018 Ford Fiesta Zetec, 1.0 eco auto for Mrs Z.

Surprised at how much the 10 year Old fester could go for, which will finance over 25% of the cost of the new one

Pick it up on Thursday next week.
 New Wheels. - DP
>> Have joined the Zero fleet, Have acquired a 2018 Ford Fiesta Zetec, 1.0 eco auto
>> for Mrs Z.

Cracking choice, Z. The out-laws have a 2016 1.0 Zetec auto that they bought at a few months old, and it's been brilliant. Lively and economical (never ventures out of town and still does mid 40s to the gallon), and it's been 100% reliable over the 36k or so they've done in it. That 1.0 engine is a really impressive bit of kit, and works well with the PowerShift 'box.

New Wheels. - Zero
The Zetec has just the right range of toys, all of them useful and practical. The 3cyl is quite pleasantly rorty.
 New Wheels. - Crankcase
Haven't dug into details of exactly what/when/which, but not one of these I hope?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45628325
 New Wheels. - Zero
its a 1.0 ecoboost, which had issues soon after introduction, all of which have been resolved. Ford has sold hundred of thousands of ecoboost engines across europe since 2012, most without issues, and those issues are mostly for the higher output configurations. In addition its a direct inject fuel system, all of which will have issues with coking unless cleaning agents are regularly used, thats not just a Ford issue,
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 29 Aug 19 at 20:13
 New Wheels. - Lygonos
>> In addition its a direct inject fuel system, all of which will have issues with coking unless cleaning agents are regularly used, thats not just a Ford issue,

Some DI petrol engines also have secondary port injectors to clean the inlet valves.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=66C4YIiwRbM
 New Wheels. - zippy
We have had 4 Fiestas that I can recall.

The first was a "S" reg - 1978 that we owned in 1985/6. Two tone brown and gold Ghia plus (nice car).

The second was a mark 2 - a dog of a car and gotten rid of by part exchanging for the next one.

Then two low spec mark 3s.

One was just 1 year old when we got it and was one of the first 2nd hand ones available. Had lots of trouble getting spares for it as some design decisions changed quickly - like the exhaust the standard template from aftermarkets suppliers wouldn't fit. Also the engine mountings kept failing. It lasted until about 95 when I got a company car after a break of about 18 months.

Our 4th, another mark 3 lasted from 97 to 2003 and save for the locks proved quite reliable.

I replaced the locks once and was amazed that they were effectively kept in place by what was effectively an over-sized paperclip - an oblong piece of black metal with a grove that fitted around the lock mechanism and held the lock in tension against the metal of the door.

Since then, they have always been tempting as a second car - certainly good looking, but always on the expensive side, so we went with the competition (a new Corsa from work at a steal of a price and a Nissan Note - again at about 2/3rds the cost of an equivalent Fiesta).
 New Wheels. - Zero
SO! Picked up the new Fester on Thursday, and drove it home from Reading. Its a sweet little motor, very chuckable, nicely weighted steering, pin sharp handling, firms but not jiggly ride, very very good visibility, cumfy seats that keep you in place (little small for my bulk tho) lots of adjustment

The tiny engine (3 pot petrol turbo 100bhp) has very nice pickup and lots of urge lower down the scale, but runs badly out of puff approaching its 7000 rev limit. Sports mode in the auto box is laughably not sporty and the flappy paddles are a waste of time, flapping them merely produced a hesitant wait, and then more noise but not much go.

Happy to toddle along the M-way at 80, little noisy, the steering assist produced a slight but discernible tremble of the wheel if you cross white lines. Hated the auto distance cruise control that brings you up behind the car in front then slows abruptly.

For a smallish car (ok its gown in size a bit) its roomy inside, with a useful boot, and it is one of the nicest looking small cars about.

Amazing how the fester has become such a good car, set up the apple car play for Mrs Z, she is delighted with it, and for good reason, it fits the small city /urban / second car bill admirably and for a 18month old well specced 4k miles car at comfortably under 12 grand its super value.
 New Wheels. - Zero
And with apple car play providing Waze, Apple Maps or Google maps as sat nav options (voice controlled) why would anyone specify the car with Sat Nav?

The ford Synch 3 system is very good indeed.
 New Wheels. - Bobby
Assume this is new shape Fiesta?
 New Wheels. - Zero
Indeed
 New Wheels. - zippy
Glad you are enjoying it Zero.

Quite jealous really as I do think the new shape one (with the new lights at the back) looks very classy.

New Wheels. - Crankcase
Zero, have you driven a Volvo with radar cruise? If so, how does it compare?

I ask because I loved my Volvo adaptive cruise, don't have it at the moment on the Focus and have been thinking about changing the car to another Ford with radar on it. If they have implemented it badly I'll be disappointed.

As an aside I think I read the Fiesta system, even wth an auto box, doesn't take you down to a complete stop, which the Volvo one did. That would reduce its value considerably anyway for me.
 New Wheels. - R.P.
The system on my old T5 was superb. That was an auto (the achilles heel of an otherwise superb car) - that would come to a stop when required. I really miss that system.
 New Wheels. - Runfer D'Hills
I find just keeping an eye on where I'm going and using the brakes if required works for me. Pretty sure my driving instructor mentioned something to me along those lines.
;-)
 New Wheels. - tyrednemotional
>> Pretty sure my driving instructor mentioned something to me along those lines.
>>

...was his name Ben Hur ... .?
 New Wheels. - Zero

>> Pretty sure my driving instructor mentioned something to me along those
>> lines.

He missed out mentioning Kerbs tho didnt he.
 New Wheels. - Duncan
>>
>> >> Pretty sure my driving instructor mentioned something to me along those
>> >> lines.
>>
>> He missed out mentioning Kerbs tho didnt he.
>>

Did yours mention busses?
 New Wheels. - Zero
>> Zero, have you driven a Volvo with radar cruise? If so, how does it compare?
No, so I cant say.

>> As an aside I think I read the Fiesta system, even wth an auto box,
>> doesn't take you down to a complete stop,

That is the case, and the showroom staff have been briefed and went to great lengths to point that out to you.
 New Wheels. - Crankcase
Strange. The Focus version does do "to a stop", so it can only be product differentiation.

I first drove adaptive cruise in 2006, on a Honda. Liked it a lot, but it cut out at under 30 mph, so a bit useless. Then my Volvo did do "down to a stop", and that was a 2011 plate car that must have been designed at least a decade ago now.

Seems strange that manufacturers even today, with a few notable exceptions, don't offer proper adaptive, or if they do, hobble it so. The tech has been around for ages. Golfs have it as standard in some trims, and that version goes down to a stop, but not many others do. Even Lexus have only just started offering it in the last couple of years on some cars.

Must be a marmite product. Some hate it (odd people) and the enlightened rest of us really really like it - as long as its done properly.

It's an absolute must on my next car, been a year without and miss it every drive.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Sun 8 Sep 19 at 19:06
 New Wheels. - CGNorwich
Got it on my Golf. Completely unnecessary and useless gizmo that serves no useful purpose whatsoever if you have learned to drive properly Yet to understand the point of it.
 New Wheels. - Crankcase
Fair enough, I love it as much as you hate it I guess.

For what little it's worth, a random Google gives you this page, where an alleged American survey of 72000 drivers yields 85% as being "very satisfied". So it's not just me, this time.

www.consumerreports.org/car-safety/adaptive-cruise-control-guide/

Last edited by: Crankcase on Sun 8 Sep 19 at 19:38
 New Wheels. - CGNorwich
Just shows 85% of Americans don't know what they are talking about which I guess we already knew ;-)
 New Wheels. - Crankcase
>> Just shows 85% of Americans don't know what they are talking about which I guess
>> we already knew ;-)
>>

Yes indeed. According to one academic study*, 4.3 million Americans think they've been abducted by aliens.

Which must be some sort of thread drift from Zero's new Fiesta.

*Hopkins, Budd; Jacobs, David M., and Westrum, Ron 1992: Unusual Personal Experiences: An Analysis of the Data from Three National Surveys Conducted by the Roper Organisation. Las Vegas, CA: Bigelow Holding Corporation.
 New Wheels. - legacylad
Reading a review of the new Focus ST estate recently I heard about this ‘adaptive cruise’. It’s something I don’t recall hearing about before, and must admit I’ve only used cruise control on a handful of occasions. Even on monitored average spec camera roadworks.
OTOH my pal uses it constantly in 30/40/ limits, both rural and urban. I just cba
 New Wheels. - Zero
I use cruise a lot, but dont like the radar distance option. It does not match the way I use cruise control.
 New Wheels. - smokie
On my Ampera the driving style is quite different, as there is a vast amount of "engine" braking (actually regenerative stuff). You can set it to either of two levels and the second - which I use all the time - really does slow the car without using the brakes (also, as I am aware, without showing any brake lights!!) - but it won't stop it completely.

it is common for discs and pads on leccy cars to require replacement not because they are worn but, like mine, because they don't get used a lot and suffer from corrosion.

I use cruise control all the time and often rarely touch the brakes on a drive. I'd have liked adaptive cruise control but it would be wasted on this car. I wouldn't be without cruise control though.
 New Wheels. - Alanovich
Think Ford, Reading?

If so how are you finding their service?
 New Wheels. - Zero
Its been OK, tho they havent had to do much other than give us a test drive, clean it, pickup me up from the station and take my money.

All that was done efficiently and pleasantly enough, with no hard sell of other add on services.

New Wheels. - Alanovich
Good to hear, they're relatively new here. Strange how the old massive Ford dealer (Gowrings) over the road turned into a used car supermarket, to be replaced with a dealer in the wee unit opposite. Seems very small for a Ford dealer to me. Maybe that's for the best.

They seem to have quite keen pricing for a main dealer, I've sent a friend there recently to look at a C-Max, and I've been considering the odd Mondeo estate they've had.
 New Wheels. - Zero

>> Surprised at how much the 10 year Old fester could go for, which will finance
>> over 25% of the cost of the new one

And the old Festa has departed for a new home, strangely back to Aldershot, where its first owner lived. 2010, 1.4, 3dr auto, 48,500 miles, Auto trader, accepted £3500 for it.

3500 quid for a near enough 10 year old car! Paid 6k for it about 5 years ago, so its been good reliable cheap motoring.
Latest Forum Posts