Motoring Discussion > Land Rover Defender - New Defender at last Miscellaneous
Thread Author: The Melting Snowman Replies: 21

Land Rover Defender - New Defender at last - The Melting Snowman
Here it is:

www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-7445085/Land-Rovers-21-century-Defender-officially-unveiled-Frankfurt-Motor-Show.html
 Land Rover Defender - New Defender at last - Bromptonaut
>> Here it is:
>>
>> www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-7445085/Land-Rovers-21-century-Defender-officially-unveiled-Frankfurt-Motor-Show.html

God help us. Site owned by Daily Mail headlines article with reference to 'Her Royal Highness the Queen'.

The Tower for him.

Now.
 Land Rover Defender - New Defender at last - The Melting Snowman
Just for you then, a link to tEh gRauniad: (subscription)

www.theguardian.com/business/2019/sep/10/land-rover-stresses-off-road-credentials-of-all-new-defender
 Land Rover Defender - New Defender at last - VxFan
Hammond's also just done a review of it on Drivetribe.

youtu.be/vac6mJE8rqo
 Land Rover Defender - New Defender at last - James T
Looks like a Skoda Yeti that mated with a MINI!

Land Rover Defender - New Defender at last - Zero
It looks like a Landrover defender updated for the 21st century.

So in that respect, full marks for the designers.

I assume they sacked the blind dork who designed the rear end of the new Disco?
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 11 Sep 19 at 08:47
 Land Rover Defender - New Defender at last - Alanovich
Thousands of daft twits who live in suburban Reading will buy these.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 11 Sep 19 at 10:24
 Land Rover Defender - New Defender at last - Manatee
I can't see the army buying many of those.
 Land Rover Defender - New Defender at last - Netsur
Can't hose out the interior of these new ones can you?

It's just another posey Range Rover in butch clothes. It needed to be far more suitable for people who wear muddy wellies and have cow dung on their overalls.
 Land Rover Defender - New Defender at last - VxFan
>> Can't hose out the interior of these new ones can you?

No, I don't think the 85 ECU computers will like it very much.
 Land Rover Defender - New Defender at last - Zero
>> Can't hose out the interior of these new ones can you?
>>
>> It's just another posey Range Rover in butch clothes. It needed to be far more
>> suitable for people who wear muddy wellies and have cow dung on their overalls.

They started buying toyota hilux type pickups years ago, you can throw more muddy dogs and straw bales in the back of those.
 Land Rover Defender - New Defender at last - legacylad
It amazes me how they seem to have such a cult following. I bought an N plate 90 from a local school several years ago ( it was used to carry the CCF group to their shooting range and other rufty tufty stuff), it was fine until I had to get in it. Even worse driving it. One of those vehicles I’d wanted to own since childhood, served a purpose, sold after 6 months, but truly awful.
Several farmers around me keep old Daihatsu Fourtraks. More reliable and the sheep in the back don’t bleat as much.
 Land Rover Defender - New Defender at last - Runfer D'Hills
I had a 90 years ago. Noisy, uncomfortable, thirsty and bits fell off it regularly.

Loved it.
 Land Rover Defender - New Defender at last - Fullchat
"More reliable and the sheep in the back don’t bleat as much."

You're leaving yourself wide open there LL :))
 Land Rover Defender - New Defender at last - Runfer D'Hills
Not really, he's not Welsh is he? Oh hang on, he's a Yorkshireman isn't he?

Yeah, as you were...

;-)
 Land Rover Defender - New Defender at last - No FM2R
>> I can't see the army buying many of those.

I couldn't see them buying any original Defenders either.

The Defender was awful; noisy, slow, cold, uncomfortable and cramped. I can't imagine that being in an accident in one was a very good idea either.

Some people liked them and good luck to them. We should all drive what we want to drive. But surely nobody has thought that they were a good vehicle for the last 30 or 40 years?

You wouldn't catch me driving one in the Andes, but I'd drive one of the new ones. I'm often up around a cold and snow-covered 10,000ft and one of the original defenders would be a scary vehicle to be in. Never mind the brakes coming back down. 41 hair pin bends dropping something like 5,000ft.

I'd guess that these days most Landrovers, even the old ones, are driven on tarmac or at worst grass/farm track. So no much point in building the new Defender according to 1950s requirements.
 Land Rover Defender - New Defender at last - Manatee
>> >> I can't see the army buying many of those.
>>
>>
>> I couldn't see them buying any original Defenders either.

Neverthess they bought heaps of them, and the series LRs before them, although some were armoured or otherwise beefed up e.g.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_Wolf

Land Rover Defender - New Defender at last - sooty123
Mainly garbage, driven all sorts of different varients, in various countries on and off road. None were particularly any good, the only redeeming feature was the ones with the petrol v8. Sounded lovely, didn't go anywhere faster than the other versions of course, weighing 3 ton probably didn't help. 11 mpg as well, glad I wasn't paying the petrol bill.
 Land Rover Defender - New Defender at last - Alanovich
There's a bloke drives his kids 2 miles to school and back across Reading every day in a pristine looking LWB Defender, with full Zombie Apocalypse spec lights on the roof, and all that malarkey. It is always shiny, shiny, shiny. Never leaves town in it. Makes him look an utter bell end.
 Land Rover Defender - New Defender at last - No FM2R
Meh, if he's happy, who's to judge?

I drive various large SUVs and a double-cab Ram around a capital city a lot, including the school run. I'm not going to go buy a little saloon car as well just so the judgemental feel better.

One of the SUVs has left town once. It was so s*** in the mountains that it'll never go there again.
 Land Rover Defender - New Defender at last - sooty123
I know someone who lives near me that drives less than 1/2 a mile to work, probably not even that. There's another chap who puts his dogs in the car and drives them for a walk on some open land about 300 yrds (if that) away from his house. Both are on very quiet roads and with footpaths etc.
 Land Rover Defender - New Defender at last - BiggerBadderDave
"There's a bloke drives his kids 2 miles to school and back across Reading every day in a pristine looking LWB Defender, with full Zombie Apocalypse spec lights on the roof, and all that malarkey. It is always shiny, shiny, shiny. Never leaves town in it. Makes him look an utter bell end."

Mine's a 5-seater car but there are only four of us. Does that make me look an utter bell end?
Latest Forum Posts