Motoring Discussion > Pressure washers and car cleaning Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 10

Pressure washers and car cleaning - legacylad
I live just off a non classified road, which connects to the B6480 on the Giggleswick side of Settle. I drive up and down it regularly, and as cattle are regularly moved field to field across this road my car is often liberally covered on its flanks by cow muck. Rather than let it dry on and hope for torrential rain, a quick pressure wash gets rid of most of it, so it’s at least a weekly job for me.
My 14yo Stihl 126 pressure washer failed recently, water cascading out through the casing. The local dealer tried to repair it, failed, and it isn’t economically viable to pursue further repairs.
Should I replace it with a Karcher K4 @ £180, or a slightly more expensive Stihl which would allow me to keep the existing lance and nozzles as spares ?
A third alternative, offered me by my small local dealer who retires and closes down imminently, is to purchase from him @£180 a second hand Karcher (HD 6/13 4M) which I rented from him recently to clean all my patios. A great machine, but OTT for domestic use, and no warranty...new price is circa £700+
Any suggestions from you sensible folks appreciated
 Pressure washers and car cleaning - Bobby
Can't really add anything constructive to your particular models but FWIW I have bought several K'Archer items from their outlet store including a pressure washer recently.
Usually a decent saving over new price

www.karcheroutlet.co.uk/
 Pressure washers and car cleaning - VxFan
>> or a slightly more expensive Stihl which would allow me to keep the existing lance and nozzles as spares ?

Have any of the lances and nozzles failed on your old Stihl? If not, why would you want spares?
Never failed on my Stihl machine. But replacements are expensive and Sods Law they would fail on a Karcher a few weeks out of warranty. Just when I have non compatible spares.
But I may be talking rubbish
 Pressure washers and car cleaning - Fullchat
Id stay well clear of the budget end Karchers.
I have the Stihl and a hoping for a long and happy partnership with readily available parts should I need them from a large dealership close by. I had all the toys with my old Karcher and just about gave them away.
The second hand professional one does sound tempting.

Pressure washers and car cleaning - Duncan
>> my car is often liberally covered on
>> its flanks by cow muck. Rather than let it dry on and hope for torrential
>> rain, a quick pressure wash gets rid of most of it, so it’s at least
>> a weekly job for me...............

>> Any suggestions from you sensible folks appreciated

If you washed it regularly, an ordinary mains pressure garden hose with one of those squirty, pointy, nozzle ends would do it surely.

Give it a bit of a gentle wash over first to get all the bovine excrement soft again and then a go with the squirty, pointy end nozzle thing. That will do it.

Apologies for all the technical jargon.

Edit.

Here you go

www.hozelock.com/product/hose-nozzle/
Last edited by: Duncan on Wed 11 Sep 19 at 16:51
Not sure if it was previously mentioned on here, or elsewhere. Apparently the pressure washers ALDI occasionally sell as part of their weekly deals are supposed to be quite good, and also come with a 3 yr warranty.

EDIT:- Or it could have been LIDL? Either way, it'll still have a 3 yr warranty.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 11 Sep 19 at 19:41
 Pressure washers and car cleaning - Bobby
both....
Thanks for replies.
I’ve now registered to receive offers from Aldi & Lidl, and will definitely buy a replacement with a 3 year warranty.
You can now also buy online from ALDI.

tinyurl.com/y3lpl66j

Unfortunately they've all currently sold out.

Might save a trip to the store when they next get some in for their weekly offers.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 12 Sep 19 at 13:21
Thanks. I used to buy some stuff online from Aldi, but discontinued their emailshots some time ago. Now re started but now considering a Karcher 4 Full Control Home 4 from JLP @ £180. A £100 saving on equivalent Stihl.
I’ve still got an unused 2” petrol water pump in my garage I bought from Aldi some years ago. I was building a large extension chez LL with a builder pal and we had a few weeks of torrential rain. The footings were like a swimming pool. As soon as I bought the pump it stopped raining. Must get around to advertising it.
Latest Forum Posts