Motoring Discussion > Sibling car differences Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 4

Sibling car differences - Bobby
(The discussions elsewhere on adaptive cruise control instigated this)

I am a bit of a petrol head and keen interest in cars. I have two, older brothers.

Oldest brother P is an area manager and has a Golf 2.0TDI Bluemotion company car. Why did he pick it? Well he read a review that it had everything you needed in a car. Not interested in cars, as long as they have a decent music system. His Golf has adaptive cruise control, used it once, hates cruise control, hates folk who use cruise control and overtake someone else at 1mph more rather than getting out the way. Compnay car renewal is due and has his list. Basically all German, A Class, BMW 1, 2 series, Audi A!, A3, Q2, VW Gold, T-Roc and T-Cross. Ok says I, what are you thinking of this time? I fancy leather seats, never had them and they are easier to clean my lunch off.

Other brother M, commutes an hour each way to Cambridge but is now only working 3 days. Stop start rush hour driving. Just bought a new car and initially his priority was to go from diesel to electic / hybrid. After lots of research (inc me asking on here about the BMW 225XE, he decided that adaptive cruise control was his numbe rone priority so that he could sit in his rush hour traffic and the car would effectively accelerate and break. Did reserach and found a dealer demonstrator 3008 with every toy under the sun. Test drove it, fell in love and signed the deal. I asked him afterwards how the ACC was - nver got the opportunity to try it. Picks the car up on the Friday, driving to work on Tuesday realises that the car doesnt actually have ACC! Cye exchange of emails and calls with dealer who admit they mistakenly misled him but he finally settles for a £350 refund which apparently is the cost to SPEC ACC when new. He is happy with that outcome.

So I am a petrol head who uses cruise control all the time, would much prefer to leave 15 mins early for a journey and cruise just above the lorries. Brother P hates cruise control and just wants everyone out his way and couldn't give two hoots whether his car has sensors, cameras , or whatever. And brother M, well through dicsussions he is one of these guys who rocks the car from full on accelerate to slam on the brakes in outside lane of rush hour and blames everyone else,

And yet my family say we are all similar........ anyone on here end up being the nominated car expert for family, friends, colleagues??
 Sibling car differences - Runfer D'Hills
I'm sure I read somewhere that 80% of drivers believe they have above average driving skills...
;-)
 Sibling car differences - neiltoo
As regards averages, more than 99% of the population have more than the average number of legs.

8o)
 Sibling car differences - sooty123
I give a bit of advice if asked by the wife's family on problems and buying but don't happen to often tbh. My family seem pretty clued up on cars, get asked a few times about faults done a few repairs and services for them.
At work cars don't come up very often as a topic of conversation, I'm not sure what the 10 people i work with all drive. Done some disc and pad changes, helped out with a couple of faults but that's about it.
 Sibling car differences - Netsur
Despite my MiL knowing nothing about cars, she thinks that because she drives around taking people to and from the airport (licenced minicab) that she knows it all and my advice is not needed.

As such at the age of 76 she has decided to keep working and swap her 2009 Kia Sedona for a 2017 Seat Alhambra (with DSG gearbox - oh great) despite my giving her money to replace her modest earnings from the limited work she has.

In 23 years of knowing her I can think of only one time she bought a car I thought was sensible - and that she managed to write off....

Thankfully neither my wife or I have siblings so no-one to differ with...
Last edited by: Netsur on Thu 12 Sep 19 at 12:26
Latest Forum Posts