Motoring Discussion > Ford Fiesta - Eco boost sport tail pipe Miscellaneous
Thread Author: wotspur Replies: 12

Ford Fiesta - Eco boost sport tail pipe - wotspur

My 18 yr old son has asked , a question , that I don’t have a clue about ( hardly surprising
He has a 1.25 Ford Fiesta the Edge .
His current insurance is typically expensive for an 18 year old , but now he wants to put a
ECO BOOST SPORT TAIL PIPE onto the car .
My technical knowledge is zero , and I understand it makes it noisier. That’s it
I rang my insurance company they asked the BHP currently and what it might become
Where would I find the BHP , from the V5 ?. And how would it be possible to work out what it might become .
Has anyone done a similar thing and did it affects your insurance l.
Hope someone can assist
 Ford Fiesta - Eco boost sport tail pipe - Lygonos
Tell him he's a fud.

The insurance increase would likely pay for a better specced, non barry boy car.

Most aftermarket exhausts do very little, or even lose torque/power without remapping the ECU to take advantage of it.

Assuming the Fester is non-turbo it'll almost certainly do FA.

Also you can be sure the next plan will be different wheels, lowered suspension, etc etc. to take advantage of the eleventy billion extra Bhp.

Maybe a gaping maw front splitter to aid cooling for the beast under the bonnet.

Without a session on a rolling road you'll not know how much "extra" power it puts out - if you give the insurance company a "Up to 5% more bhp" figure you can be sure you're not lying.

If I was an insurer I don't think I'd be offering competetive terms for mods on an 18yr old's motor.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Sat 21 Dec 19 at 16:48
 Ford Fiesta - Eco boost sport tail pipe - Zero
your current BHP will be in the handbook, technical specs.

You have no chance, unless you put it on a dyno, of finding out the new BHP.

at 18 years old, If its classed as a mod, , the insurance company will crucify him
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 21 Dec 19 at 17:17
 Ford Fiesta - Eco boost sport tail pipe - MD
>> your current BHP will be in the handbook, technical specs.
>>
>>
>> You have no chance, unless you put it on a dyno, of finding out the
>> new BHP.
>>
>> at 18 years old, If its classed as a mod, , the insurance company will
>> crucify him
>>
And rightly so. Small Willy syndrome. I never modded anything in my yoof. Just made sure the original had enough poke.
I modded my Forester (was about 36yr old though)

227bhp/230lbft to 260bhp/300lbft with Subaru's approved Prodrive kit (exhaust, new ECU/map, silicone turbo Y-pipe)

Insurance went up about 10% (£25 or so) for the 15% extra power.
 Ford Fiesta - Eco boost sport tail pipe - Dog
Ah,ewe ain't lived m8 ... stage 2 head, 4 branch mani, twin-choke Weber, Howe Exhausts (near Brands Hatch) straight through exhaust system. Piranha elec.ign. Kenlowe electric fan, K & N air filter etc. etc. etc..
 Ford Fiesta - Eco boost sport tail pipe - carmalade
A sports tailpipe/ box has less restrictions on it . It will probably make the car noisier but could also make it slower due to the reduced back pressure in the system.
 Ford Fiesta - Eco boost sport tail pipe - bathtub tom
>> A sports tailpipe/ box has less restrictions on it . It will probably make the
>> car noisier but could also make it slower due to the reduced back pressure in
>> the system.

I'd love to know how reduced back pressure would make it slower. I did some reading on exhaust systems back in the '60s and deduced the best thing to do with exhaust was to get rid of it as soon as possible.

The only advantage of back pressure was in two strokes to improve economy and that was a black art of expansion chambers and tail pipe diameter to enhance torque.

There's also a factor called 'pumping loss', where due to the cooling of exhaust gases in the exhaust system, resulting in a denser mass of exhaust gas, the following exhaust stroke is restricted by pushing out the previous cycle, meaning the induction cycle's restricted.

They knew what they were at back in pre-war years. The small diameter of an Austin 7 exhaust meant the gas was moving at such a velocity it was cooled to minimum.

Why are some competition vehicles exhaust lagged? It's not to prevent burning (OK, it might be), but the advantage of keeping the exhaust gas temperature high and less dense.

Look at piston engined aircraft that exhaust directly.

>> I'd love to know how reduced back pressure would make it slower. I did some reading on exhaust systems back in the '60s...

That was then...this is now

youtu.be/e72Xkf_5VXo
 Ford Fiesta - Eco boost sport tail pipe - VxFan
>> Where would I find the BHP

Most websites that do car checks will tell you. Just enter the number plate.

eg.

www.mycarcheck.com (just make up a fake name and email address if you don't want to register)

totalcarcheck.co.uk/FreeCarCheck

www.carveto.co.uk/blog/bhp-check/

www.cardatachecks.co.uk/

Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 21 Dec 19 at 21:33
 Ford Fiesta - Eco boost sport tail pipe - wotspur
Thanks for alll the responses . I’m surprised the insurance company didn’t gave all the current details , cause without that how could thry have quotedin the first place . I’ll check out those sites. VXfan it’s a start , and see if he has a handbook and go fromtherr
 Ford Fiesta - Eco boost sport tail pipe - Duncan
>>
>> My 18 yr old son has asked , a question ,
>>

Tell him to answer his own questions, do his own mods, and pay for his own insurance.

Ford Fiesta - Eco boost sport tail pipe - Fullchat
Boy racer mod. They will crucify him financially. Its bad enough on any modification for experienced mature bikers.
In our day you could get away with all sorts of mods. Not any more. Of course its risk you take. No one will know until you have an accident.
Latest Forum Posts