Motoring Discussion > Not a Darwin, maybe an example of Lamarckism? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Lemma Replies: 13

Not a Darwin, maybe an example of Lamarckism? - Lemma
I was driving anti-clockwise on the southern part of the M25 today between exits 9 and 8 (Leatherhead area). Spotted a cyclist riding vigorously along on the hard shoulder against the flow of traffic. He was fully kitted out with Lycra, helmet etc and everything suggested him to be a true roadhound. Presumably he would have been seen on the cameras, but it left me wondering about his intent, where he was going to/from and why on earth he thought this was in any way sensible? The smart section further on might pose a problem....
 Not a Darwin, maybe an example of Lamarckism? - Zero
So you were going up to Reigate hill, and he was coming down? his brakes had failed!

Its fair old hill, the weather changes from bottom to top
 Not a Darwin, maybe an example of Lamarckism? - sherlock47
With any luck he will come to a SMART section of motorway :)
 Not a Darwin, maybe an example of Lamarckism? - Lemma
T'was the other way round, anticlockwise, and not not quite as far as Reigate Hill.

I have strong reason to remember the hill, having descended it many years previously in a Rover 800 towing a caravan. The caravan started to control the car rather than the other way round leading me to fully appreciate the importance of properly distributing weight between car and van as well as thinking ahead a little more.
 Not a Darwin, maybe an example of Lamarckism? - henry k
replaced
Last edited by: henry k on Sun 8 Mar 20 at 12:18
 Not a Darwin, maybe an example of Lamarckism? - henry k
A short challenging road on Richmond hill in for cyclists.

tinyurl.com/s9myfns

Due to its dangers it is now one way up hill onto the famous B321 Richmond Hill ( terrace. )
(A main road at the bottom.)

In my cycling yoof it was two way and was used to warm up ( two or three round trips ) prior to circuits of Richmond park.
One of our lot replace the old style brake blocks on his bike but round the wrong way.
Part way down they flew out and we just laughed as he accelerated to possible doom.
We found him round the bend in a hedge.
All part of the learning curve. The good old days?

Not a Darwin, maybe an example of Lamarckism? - Bromptonaut
Are there official emergency access points between the junctions along that section or opportunities to access minor roads immediately parallel to the motorway?
 Not a Darwin, maybe an example of Lamarckism? - Zero
Not between 9 & 8
 Not a Darwin, maybe an example of Lamarckism? - Bromptonaut
>> Not between 9 & 8

Ok, just struck me as possibility that someone might use it as a link up between to rural roads.

Stupid, but more likely than entering by using a slip road.
 Not a Darwin, maybe an example of Lamarckism? - Duncan
>> A short challenging road on Richmond hill in for cyclists.
>>
>> tinyurl.com/s9myfns

Department of Irrelevant and Useless Information

John Mills used to live in the house at the top on the corner.
 Not a Darwin, maybe an example of Lamarckism? - smokie
Who he, relation of Great Mills or Drago Mills?

(I know really... father of the gorgeous (in her day) Hayley IIRC)
 Not a Darwin, maybe an example of Lamarckism? - Crankcase

>> (I know really... father of the gorgeous (in her day) Hayley IIRC)

And equally gorgeous Juliet. Oddly, Jonathon not so much.
 Not a Darwin, maybe an example of Lamarckism? - BiggerBadderDave
John Mills - an alcoholic with his ambulance, a couple of nurses and a South African spy to boot. His reward? An ice cold... well, a couple I seem to remember.

One of, or probably my favourite classic. I watched it with my Granddad in the 70s who, funnily enough, was a double of Anthony Quayle.
 Not a Darwin, maybe an example of Lamarckism? - Fullchat
Ice Cold in Alex??

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouYKeeTz7Yw
Last edited by: Fullchat on Mon 9 Mar 20 at 09:35
Latest Forum Posts