Motoring Discussion > An ideal time for roads repairs? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Oldgit Replies: 26

An ideal time for roads repairs? - Oldgit
I probably know the answer to this question but I still pose it with the roads so empty and the type of work involved.
Surely the worst potholes could be properly rectified?
 An ideal time for roads repairs? - Haywain
..... and Wetherspoon's cleaning their carpets.
 An ideal time for roads repairs? - VxFan
They would all have to drive separate vehicles to comply with the 2 metre distance rule.

Mind you, saying that, it doesn't appear to be the case with bin men, builders, etc.
 An ideal time for roads repairs? - Bromptonaut
2 metres is subject to a caveat along lines of 'so far as reasonably practicable'.

The 2 guys who were here yesterday stabilising my garden fence were witihn a couple of feet of each other. I think they were a father/son team though.
 An ideal time for roads repairs? - Oldgit
>> They would all have to drive separate vehicles to comply with the 2 metre distance
>> rule.
>>
>> Mind you, saying that, it doesn't appear to be the case with bin men, builders,
>> etc.
>>
Precisely.
Have driven my car again ostensibly to get a prescription from our Pharmacy 3 miles away. Somehow at the end of the return journey, my mileometer says 14 miles and the Start/Stop system has started working again, though admittedly warm-ish outside.
 An ideal time for roads repairs? - tyrednemotional
>> They would all have to drive separate vehicles to comply with the 2 metre distance
>> rule.
>>
>> Mind you, saying that, it doesn't appear to be the case with bin men, builders,
>> etc.
>>

Bin day here today.

Two bin lorries arrived in convoy. Normal crew but with an extra driver, presumably allowing wider spacing travelling in the cab (now two cabs).

AIUI, they are also trying to minimise return journeys (crewed) to the depot when full, hence the additional benefit of the use of two vehicles to cover the round.

Somebody's been doing a bit of thinking.
 An ideal time for roads repairs? - Lygonos
More risky than usual for road workers - the proportion of people driving like bellends appears much higher than normal - cutting corners, urban speeding, not indicating.

It's not "Mad Max" quite yet.
 An ideal time for roads repairs? - Rudedog
Wow not just where you are then!

Noticed for the past two weeks that on my 6.30am drive to work, while less busy, is full of mad man speeding with zero lane discipline.

An ideal time for roads repairs? - PeterS
I took an entirely within the rules 150 mile round trip to drop some essentials on my parents doorstep last week. All bar around 30 miles of that was A/M27 and A36. The smart motorway roadworks on the M27 were still under way, which is odd as I thought the scheme had been abandoned. There was also work taking place on the way into Salisbury, in a place that would have caused huge queues on a normal day. But traffic was very light for the whole journey and all was fine. I saw 6 police cars on the trip, which is 6 more than usual. 3 on blue lights, of which 2 were on the M27 but not motorway patrol cars, and 3 just driving around. At no point were there any roadblocks, and I wasn’t stopped. Open Reach are still working as far as I can see...I assume I communications infrastructure would be allowed anyway?
 An ideal time for roads repairs? - bathtub tom
The pavements around here are being dug up and re-laid. The workforce numbers seem to be diminishing, but work is continuing at seemingly the same pace. Face masks are worn usually around the neck and there's absolutely no sign of social distancing.
 An ideal time for roads repairs? - Duncan
>> I took an entirely within the rules 150 mile round trip to drop some essentials
>> on my parents doorstep last week.

How so?

Isn't this exactly what Stephen Kinnock did last week, and was told he was out of order?
 An ideal time for roads repairs? - Bromptonaut
>> Isn't this exactly what Stephen Kinnock did last week, and was told he was out
>> of order?

Did that involve essentials? I thought it was, albeit socially distanced, to mark his Dad's birthday.
>> Isn't this exactly what Stephen Kinnock did last week, and was told he was out
>> of order?

Because I left the food and prescription on the doorstep, waved and left. I didn’t sit there chatting from 6 feet away for over an hour. I didn’t interact with a single person, or indeed get out of the car until I got there. My father, being organised, had left the side gate open so I didn’t even have to touch that. Fortunately they’ve now got delivery slots from Waitrose in Salisbury, so I hope not to be called on again!! Unfortunately, I reckon every one in the village is over 70 and self isolating :)

(My mother had some serious respiratory problems last year, so they are being ultra cautious, and rightly so IMO)
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 8 Apr 20 at 19:32
 An ideal time for roads repairs? - Runfer D'Hills
Did you take the Merc Peter? A drop top would be nice in this weather (normally)

Even just going to our local Sainsburys yesterday I rolled the sunroof back. A small pleasure, but a pleasure nonetheless.

Oh is it that time already? I know I've got some Vodka in the fridge and I have had a bike ride...

;-)
I certainly did :)

While I know the sun is has perhaps lead to more people pushing the boundaries of how this lockdown is supposed to work, I have to say without it and the ability to sit in / potter around the garden it would be a whole lot harder to cope with, certainly from my perspective.
 An ideal time for roads repairs? - R.P.
Much to the surprise of the villagers, a bridge that was damaged in the floods (remember them ?) has been fixed over the last few weeks.....I Christened it the "Bridge of Pies" as a friend who lives the other side of it has to travel 9 miles to get his takeaway from the local Restaurant instead of 1.5 miles the direct way.
 An ideal time for roads repairs? - Dog
Eerily quiet up here on the Cornish moors - traffic free but more moor walkers

Group of 4 went past my 5 bar this afternoon, one of them was shirtless (probably on drugs)

:o}
 An ideal time for roads repairs? - devonite
I noticed this morning that a large hand-painted sign had been attached to a section of railings facing the main road into town stating: If you value your caravan/motorhome, DO NOT STOP IN THIS TOWN!

Should do the trick i think!
 An ideal time for roads repairs? - No FM2R
For we, the self-appointed vigilantes, will attack your van without any right to do so. And we will feel righteous.
 An ideal time for roads repairs? - tyrednemotional
...and then we will go home and play our banjoes...
 An ideal time for roads repairs? - devonite
>> And we will feel righteous

they probably would as well!
 An ideal time for roads repairs? - No FM2R
I have no doubt. It's a type.
 An ideal time for roads repairs? - legacylad
strange isn’t it....we have signs in my part of the world discouraging out of town folks. Yet lots of locals think it perfectly normal to go shopping every day. Often more than once a day.
I do one shop every 10/14 days. Local butchers then local small supermarket. Fill my small freezer and fridge. No necessity to shop more often.
If anyone says anything to me whilst I’m out walking the fells, on my own, keeping 20’ + from any other walkers, they’ll get a right mouthful. Perfect walking weather at the moment.

My doorstep ( bottom of thecdrive) beer delivery arrived today. A friend ordered over £500 of bottled beer and 5 litre mini kegs from a local brewery and he’s distributed to his chums today. BACS payment. No personal contact. Happy days.
 An ideal time for roads repairs? - Zero
>> I noticed this morning that a large hand-painted sign had been attached to a section
>> of railings facing the main road into town stating: If you value your caravan/motorhome, DO
>> NOT STOP IN THIS TOWN!
>>
>> Should do the trick i think!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsC4kf6x_Q0
 An ideal time for roads repairs? - Fullchat
Squeal like a piggy !! :S
 An ideal time for roads repairs? - Duncan
>> I took an entirely within the rules 150 mile round trip to drop some essentials
>> on my parents doorstep last week.

Who needs Robert Jenrick when we have our own PeterS?

www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/09/cabinet-minister-robert-jenrick-visited-his-parents-during-covid-19-lockdown
 An ideal time for roads repairs? - zippy
I wondered why our road has been so quiet of late - even though we are a dead end that leads to some woods.

I walked the 1/2 mile to a cross roads down the hill and the waterboard or whatever they are called nowadays have dug the entire junction up and closed the road.

The surface there has been "wet" for well over a year and there have been waterboard vans there regularly.

The junction isn't really busy unless it's junior school drop off or pick up time when the roads around get totally jammed so it's the perfect time to do the work.
Last edited by: zippy on Sun 12 Apr 20 at 15:54
Latest Forum Posts