Motoring Discussion > Dr Hilary and car washing Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Oldgit Replies: 24

Dr Hilary and car washing - Oldgit
First a disclaimer. I have never watched, intentionally Breakfast or morning TV programmes of the type imported from American TV i suppose.
However, I saw an article this morning where it said that Dr Hilary had admonished Mr Marmite, Piers Morgan when he suggested that he ought to wash his car as it had become filthy.
The Dr suggested that it was not a good idea as it was not 'essential' so to do in these strange times.
I did assume from the article, that car in question may have been parked on the street and not in a front drive or garden.
Does anyone here have any opinion? Of course you do!
 Dr Hilary and car washing - Zero
As soon as anything involves Piers Morgan, I have an opinion and it usually involves the concept of my boot up his bottom or his nose mashed against my fist.
 Dr Hilary and car washing - tyrednemotional
....and you'd get away with it, because that is essential.

(I washed both cars yesterday - on the road because it drains better than on the drive).
 Dr Hilary and car washing - smokie
Well it'd be a new experience for many who have probably never washed their car!!

I guess if it's out on the street then you just need to do the social distancing thing. I was working on the front of the house yesterday and there wasn't an awful of of passing foot traffic so I don't imagine it's a big problem.
 Dr Hilary and car washing - Runfer D'Hills
I suppose I wash my car properly every couple of months. That equates to about every 7000 miles of use in normal circumstances. In between it gets the lights, plates and windows wiped over as required.

If I was to use the mileage guide for my current usage that means the next time it'd need a good clean would be in about 8 years !
 Dr Hilary and car washing - legacylad
It’s on my extensive ‘to do’ list....I might make a half day of it including using Autoglym High Def wax.
At the moment I’m just too busy procrastinating. Collecting logs whilst the roads are quiet, and litter picking in the community. Jeez who are these morons who dump their crap by the side of minor country roads. The idea of chucking something out of my car window appals me.
And drinking beer outside mid afternoon whilst reading. Tut tut.
SUVs should have a bit of mud on them. Makes them look more SUVish.
 Dr Hilary and car washing - Fullchat
We did about 1/2 a mile along the verge of a rural main road the a few weeks ago as part of a round route. Apart from a dead fox and small deer the amount of drink container debris was appalling. If there was value in empties there would be something to be made picking litter. Red Bull seemed to a beverage of choice.
 Dr Hilary and car washing - CGNorwich
>> As soon as anything involves Piers Morgan, I have an opinion and it usually involves
>> the concept of my boot up his bottom or his nose mashed against my fist.
>>
>>

I fully understand the reaction but I read the article below day or two back, an assessment of Donald Trump by Morgan, and I though it pretty accurate. I guess even Piers Morgan is right sometimes.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8217357/PIERS-MORGAN-America-doesnt-want-King-Trump-petty-Emperor-no-clothes.html
 Dr Hilary and car washing - No FM2R
>>I read the article below day or two back,
>> an assessment of Donald Trump by Morgan, and I though it pretty accurate. I guess
>> even Piers Morgan is right sometimes.
>>
>> www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8217357/PIERS-MORGAN-America-doesnt-want-King-Trump-petty-Emperor-no-clothes.html
>>
>>

Sadly, read the comments, and this is just one;

"Trump has been a scapegoat by a lying media & Democrats in an election year. Pres Trump has every right to push back against their smears. And for the US "expert" u would obey blindly, Dr Emperor Fauci, he said every recommendation he & Dr Birx gave, Trump accepted! THEY were wrong because of false info from WHO & China. Thank you Trump! "
 Dr Hilary and car washing - R.P.
What Zero says. He's seems to have been saying the "right things". People forget very quickly.
 Dr Hilary and car washing - Manatee
After 3 months of dismissing it as irrelevant Trump is now saying that this terrible virus has come out of the blue but he is doing a fantastic job of dealing with it.

The natives have noticed that a lot of people are dying but some Trump supporters think there is a conspiracy to allow people to die to make Trump look bad.

It seemed unimaginable that he could be elected, but he was.

It seems unimaginable that he could get a second term but who'd bet on it?
 Dr Hilary and car washing - smokie
So by implication do you mean Zero could write for the Mail? :-)
>> So by implication do you mean Zero could write for the Mail? :-)

I'm not sure the Daily Star will let me go.
Now you mention it there are certain similarities....
 Dr Hilary and car washing - Boxsterboy
My silver Peugeot Traveller (van) goes back in September, after 3 years and I am yet to wash it. I think the garage washed it when it had it's one scheduled service, but that's it. And it doesn't look dirty, partly the colour but also because the wheels are quite well tucked into the arches.

Mrs BBs white BMW only has to think about going onto the road and it is filthy!
 Dr Hilary and car washing - Bobby
Well I spent 5 or 6 hours last week fully detailing the outside of my car.

Snow foam & wash throroughly
Tar remover applied where required
Car fully clayed
Snow foam and wash throroughly
Dried
Autoglym HD wax applied to all metal surfaces and to alloy wheels
Wax polished and buffed.
Autoglym alloy wheel sealer applied to the wheels
Autoglym Tyre stuff applied
Rain X applied to side windows, mirrors and panoramic sunroof
Autoglym trim stuff applied to the very few black plastic areas.

Ususually do this twice a year, around now and then late Autumn. Also did it to the other 3 cars in the household. My wife's Beetle is the worse car I ever wash. The shape and curves just actually make it quite a workout doing it. And the "reteo" white alloy wheels are a pain to do. I have to say the Y shape alloys on my X1 are the easiest wheels I have ever cleaned. No thin brushes needed, can use a hand mitt and can wrap hand round the "spokes".

Son's VW Polo GTI is also a pain - cos its black!!! I hate black cars purely from the cleaning perspective!!!
 Dr Hilary and car washing - sooty123
I'm of a similar mind, not even sure when the toyota was last cleaned possibly some time last year. The OH cleans the cars, I'm not sure when I last could be bothered to clean any of the cars, it'd be measured in years I would think.
 Dr Hilary and car washing - Robin O'Reliant
One of the joys of running an old banger is not having to bother with cleaning it. I just wait for the rain.

One thing I do however, is to vacuum the interior. I don't care what the outside looks like, but it must be clean inside.
I very nearly washed the cars last week. Not that they especially needed it as they've obviously not been far for weeks now. It was more to do with boredom alleviation.

Anyway, my usual Mark Twain-ish attitude to car washing kicked in just in time, and I went to have a lie down until the urge wore off.

Just as well really, because since there has been a few showers, the cars are covered in a sort of fine sand.

We had the fine sand last week, so much in fact small dunes were building up round the wiper blades.

Ended up washing the car, I did it once before I thiink and the memories came flooding back.
Well, I suppose with that colour you'd not really notice mould or moss growing on it?

;-)
 Dr Hilary and car washing - tyrednemotional
>> Well, I suppose with that colour you'd not really notice mould or moss growing on
>> it?
>>
>> ;-)
>>

If it's been stood for a bit I'm surprised he managed to find it......
I use the automatic car wash machine at the local garage. No hassle, five minutes listeneing to some suitable music, "Flight of the Valkyries" is good, and the job is done.
 Dr Hilary and car washing - PeterS
I ended up washing both cars the week before last, following a school-boy error. I’d just (out of immense boredom) cleaned the path down the side of the house with the jetwash, and thought I’d rinse the cars to get the dust off. A mistake, as that made them look worse than they had before...and I knew that was likely to be the case. But, ever the optimist... Anyway, that meant I had to wash them properly, so I did. Didn’t take too long, they weren’t that bad, and I didn’t clean the roof of the Merc. I did consider polishing the MINI, but left it until the following day. At which point it was dusty again, needed washing first and so didn’t bother!
Latest Forum Posts