Motoring Discussion > Vehicle transfer not processed Legal Questions
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 9

Vehicle transfer not processed - Stuu
I traded my old car in on 11/3 and the transfer slip was posted off the next day. 5 weeks later no confirmation and the government vehicle check site says the car hasn't had a change of keeper since I bought the car, plus the tax I put on it is still in force.

The car however is now floating about in the motor trade somewhere and I don't have the V5.

Question is, the tax runs out on May 1st and as I appear to still be the registered keeper, should I SORN it as the DVLA stopped doing paperwork on 23/3 and quite possible they won't start processing any for many weeks yet, so in the meantime my old car could still be registered to me, no insurance and no tax, also no SORN, so I am a bit concerned about getting a FPN for it.

If I did SORN it, how would that then square with it eventually having the transfer processed for the 11/3 but I made a SORN declaration after that date.

DVLA are not answering enquiries so can't ask them either. Any ideas?
 Vehicle transfer not processed - No FM2R
Use the email service, tell them the situation with all the details, keep a copy, screen dump if necessary, and forget about it.

Certainly don't SORN a vehicle you don't own.

live.email-dvla.service.gov.uk/w2c/en_gb/decisions/Vehicle%20Enquiries
 Vehicle transfer not processed - BiggerBadderDave
There's a welcome face. Often wonder what you're up to.
>>Use the email service, tell them the situation with all the details, keep a copy, screen dump if necessary, and forget about it.<<

I have emailed them, though they are not taking email enquiries either while their offices are semi-closed. I have printed a copy of the email reference in case I need it.

I have also posted a letter as they suggest on their website if you don't hear from them after 4 weeks, just to cover the V5 getting lost in the post.

Not sure how long before FPNs kick in, as I am sure that is one government service that they will have kept running.
 Vehicle transfer not processed - No FM2R
Then I think you've done all the right things and I'd leave it there.

If you're still concerned then the only thing i can think of is to get someone to sign and date a statement. Like a Solicitor or something. something that should you ever need you could send to a court or similar body.
The difficulty with tax, SORN etc is that it is not the responsibility of the owner but the registered keeper, which I am sure is the what would be argued and the DVLA has form on washing it's hands of people when these transfers don't happen.

The only actual proof I have that the car was sold is an invoice from the main dealer for the p/x, but the obligations still fall on the registered keeper.
 Vehicle transfer not processed - Bobby
Come on Stuu, its a motoroing forum!

What did you trade in, what you got now?
>>What did you trade in, what you got now?<<

Haha, Kia Venga for a Toyota Auris hybrid estate.

Venga was a stop gap as I fell off a ladder 18 months ago and tore my ankle up badly, then 6 months later when I thought it had healed I took a chance and bought a manual Auris estate but my ankle flared up so had to quickly switch into an auto. The Venga was just there, but not a car I warmed to, so as soon as I could I went back to an Auris estate, an auto this time and hybrid for obvious reasons in the current climate.

Possibly also newsworthy as I haven't been here in ages is that I became daddy to a little girl 16 months ago, which I rate as far more important than any car :-)
 Vehicle transfer not processed - Kevin
>Venga was a stop gap as I fell off a ladder 18 months ago.. I became daddy to a little girl
>16 months ago, which I rate as far more important than any car :-)

That's one thing they don't tell you in the safety instructions do they?
 Vehicle transfer not processed - Zero
I am having an issue picturing the scene or connection, Venga, Ladder, Baby,
Latest Forum Posts