Motoring Discussion > Elon Musk may have got into space but..... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 9

Elon Musk may have got into space but..... - sherlock47
www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8377461/Shocking-moment-Telsa-Model-3-Autopilot-mode-crashes-truck-Taiwan-highway.html

You may have to temp disable Adblock software to view.
 Elon Musk may have got into space but..... - zippy
Ouch!

I understand Tesla uses camera technology to avoid objects and not LIDAR or RADAR.

I guess there wasn't enough contrast between the white of the van and the blue sky to be picked up by the cameras?

Or there was a fault with the camera which the driver hadn't gotten fixed?
 Elon Musk may have got into space but..... - Zero
>> Ouch!
>>
>> I understand Tesla uses camera technology to avoid objects and not LIDAR or RADAR.

Cameras, Ultrasonic & Radar.

Elon Musk may have got into space but..... - Zero
To be fair, (and no doubt aided by the soft compliant top of the trailer) the Teslo held up well, it may look dramatic but it appears to be a walk away alive incident.

I like the Mails statement" neither the driver or the autopilot saw the truck"

The driver wasnt looking. And thats the problem with autopilot.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 2 Jun 20 at 13:47
 Elon Musk may have got into space but..... - smokie
It says "The local media source also noted that the driver said the auxiliary system was activated and the self-driving state was not adopted."

Does that mean the driver had turned off autopilot, sounds like it to me but I could be wrong. In which case nothing to see here, move on.

I read the same story elsewhere which also had the comments

"It would be nice if Autopilot’s automatic emergency braking system would prevent accidents like that, but it doesn’t always work, and there’s no substitute for paying attention at all times.

"Tesla is constantly improving its Autopilot features, but it still asks drivers to keep their hands on the wheel and pay attention at all times every time they activate the features, which ultimately means that the driver is at fault here."
 Elon Musk may have got into space but..... - Dog
And there was me, driving down the A30 just now, cruise control on, saying to the ole woman how nice it would be to have a self-driving car :(
 Elon Musk may have got into space but..... - Shiny
Why is it called Autopilot? It is nothing of the sort, it just seems to be a pretty flaky adaptive cruise control and lane assist. There are compilations on Youtube, it really can be quite terrible like some alpha concept..
 Elon Musk may have got into space but..... - No FM2R
>>Why is it called Autopilot?

Because that was the longest and most technical word the newspapers dared used given the intelligence of most of their readership.
 Elon Musk may have got into space but..... - legacylad
Did the driver become an unconscious pilate?
 Elon Musk may have got into space but..... - No FM2R
Here's your coat now get out...............
Latest Forum Posts