Motoring Discussion > The UK's biggest roundabout? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dieselboy Replies: 19

The UK's biggest roundabout? - Dieselboy
I regularly work in Skelmersdale in Lancashire. Amongst the many, many roundabouts, there is one known as Half Mile Roundabout, rather obviously as it's half a mile in circumference.

Are there any bigger roundabouts out there?
 The UK's biggest roundabout? - Zero
Isnt that a ring road?
 The UK's biggest roundabout? - ....
Putrajaya, Malaysia 3.5kms or the M25.
Reread the title, There's a roundabout in Gateshead round Sage software's HQ which must run it close.
Last edited by: gmac on Mon 13 Sep 10 at 22:48
 The UK's biggest roundabout? - Dave_
Bignell's Corner, or in other words the South Mimms services roundabout where the A1(M), A1 and A1081 meet the M25. I measured it once, a complete lap covers exactly a mile.
 The UK's biggest roundabout? - Bagpuss
Switch Island in Liverpool. Meeting point of the M57, M58, A59 and A5036.
 The UK's biggest roundabout? - Robbie34
>> Switch Island in Liverpool. Meeting point of the M57, M58, A59 and A5036.

There isn't an island as such now, just umpteen sets of traffic lights.
 The UK's biggest roundabout? - Collos
Thornbury roundabout in Bradford you need to take sandwiches if you want to walk across it.
There is no way bignalls is a mile all the way round, was that your taxi driver meter measuring that?
 The UK's biggest roundabout? - RattleandSmoke
Just looked at it on the map and I reckon it could be about 1km in circumference but thats still a good 700 odd meters short of a mile.
I am due back down the A1 on Friday, normally I cut off on the a414 A405 but I will run round it and let you know.
Google earth has it at 7/10s of a mile. I am really suprised its that long.
 The UK's biggest roundabout? - L'escargot
Are you referring to the diameter of the roundabout itself, or the diameter of the outer circumference of the outermost lane?
 The UK's biggest roundabout? - Dave_
It's been a while since I went around it but it's one of those statistics that sticks in the mind. I used to live just up the A1(M) and visit north east London a lot so I used the M25 east from there. I suppose a mile could have been 1 1/2 laps, but I'm fairly certain I did a circuit of the roundabout once to check the distance around to the same stop line.
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Tue 14 Sep 10 at 09:56
 The UK's biggest roundabout? - henry k
...but at least none lives on the roundbout unlike the example at Windsor A308 / B3021.
Thats a lot of houses on a not vey big roundabout :-(
and they dont even have a pedestrian crossing to get on and off.
 The UK's biggest roundabout? - FuzzyDuck
The new roundabout at J11 of the M4 is pretty big.
 The UK's biggest roundabout? - henry k
>> and they dont even have a pedestrian crossing to get on and off.
>>
That is not the only risk. A couple of years ago I was confronted by a vehicle going the wrong way round. In spite of my few words the driver continued to go the wrong way round.
Blame crown estates, they own it.
 The UK's biggest roundabout? - led123
I would say the largest roundabout is West End Park in Ashton-Under-Lyne near Manchester. When I went round it it seemed pretty big. The roundabout serves Manchester Road/A635, Park Parade/A635, William Street, Margaret Street, Stockport Road/A6017 and Ryecroft Street. It is 0.5 Miles round.
 The UK's biggest roundabout? - -
The one in Skem is the biggest i've driven round.
Latest Forum Posts