Motoring Discussion > Car Accident Exchange Details Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 9

Car Accident Exchange Details - Ambo
What details must I exchange with other drivers in the event of a mishap likely to result in an insurance claim?
 Car Accident Exchange Details - Duncan
Are you asking for a friend?
No, just in case. I wondered, for example, if it is required to give other drivers my address and phone number.
 Car Accident Exchange Details - Zero
Official Guidance:

If you have an accident causing damage or injury you must give the following to anyone with ‘reasonable grounds for requiring them’, for example an insurance company:

your name and address
the vehicle registration number
You also need to give the owner’s name and address if the vehicle is not yours.

You must report the accident to the police within 24 hours if you do not give your details at the time of the accident.

You must also report the accident to your insurance company, even if you’re not planning to make a claim.

What else do you do? Unless you are planning to sort it out privately (dont) you give nothing, say nothing to the other party. Merely pass on all correspondence from the other party to your insurance company.
Thanks for that but no home phone numbers or email addresses, insurer's names and policy numbers required?

My only claims in the last 20 years or so have been for vandalism damage where the other party was unknown, so no exchange of details.
 Car Accident Exchange Details - Duncan
The RAC say:-

tinyurl.com/ycmwls58
 Car Accident Exchange Details - Falkirk Bairn
Take photos of 3rd party driver, cars positions of the cars taken from various points.

Neighbour had bump at bottom of the road - exchanged names & phone numbers + car reg etc

Car reg was unknown, the phone no was phoney. .................. A wee photo of the driver would have been handy

They went to police but got an accident report number but told not to hold their breath as the car was false plates
 Car Accident Exchange Details - smokie
An insurance company I was with years back (maybe Direct Line) used to send an accident report form with the renewal stuff. As well as boxes for all the legal stuff on both (all) sides there was a space for a sketch and also questions about witnesses, road and weather conditions, damage seen on each car and other stuff. It was a two part form with carbon so you filled it out with the other driver and each had a copy. It seemed a good idea but I never had to use it, and I am not so sure these days that I'd want to share too much with anyone I don't know.
 Car Accident Exchange Details - Fullchat
There is some misinformation creeping in here or what could interpreted as such and from such places as the RAC. I would expect better.

Sec 170 require you to Stop and provide to any person having reasonable grounds to require that information. Drivers name and address, vehicle owners name and address (if different) and registration mark of the vehicle.

In the case of an injury RTC insurance details must be provided they do not have to be provide under 170 for damage only.

However Section 154 of the 1988 Act says that anyone against whom a civil claim has been made arising out of their use of a motor vehicle on a road or public place must tell the claimant whether they were insured and, if so, give details of their insurance policy. So that covers that loophole.

Leaving notes, providing telephone or email addresses, whilst it may assist in the facilitation of the requirements and subsequent claims process they are not included in the legislation.

Due to the particular circumstances of the RTC if the requirements cannot be completed then the matter must be reported, in person, to a Police Station as soon as practicable and in any case within 24 hours. So in theory you could not drive passed a Police Station and think I'll report it on my way home from work tomorrow.

However there have been various relaxations, should we say, on processes and policy. So you may be able to report on the phone. But legislation is quite specific about the requirements.

Last edited by: Fullchat on Tue 23 Jun 20 at 15:46
 Car Accident Exchange Details - Zero
>> Thanks for that but no home phone numbers or email addresses, insurer's names and policy
>> numbers required?

Legally, no.

Latest Forum Posts