Motoring Discussion > Its just one of those weeks! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 8

Its just one of those weeks! - Bobby
Do you ever have one of those weeks when everthing seems to conspire against you?

Firstly, as per my separate thread, my house alarm has decided to start sounding once a day to remind me that there is a problem with it. Or maybe just a protest that I havent used it for 10 years.

Remember my rats problem back in April / May? Well they have returned (not the dead ones, these are sprightly new versions). Currently trying to get to the bottom of where they are coming in and why. Now have two motion sensor cameras under the floorboards. Grrrrr

Then today I decided to swap the wheels/tyres front to back on my X1 so that when it comes time to change, I can change all 4 and get a different type. Had been speaking to my local indie when he had fixed my wife's Beetle and he said just pop up with car and we will swap them using the big trolley jack. But today was noce, I was doing nothing else so thought why not just do it yourself. Lets me get the wheels off myself, find jacking point etc. I do the passenger side no problem (using the space saver as a temp till I got the wheels in their respective places).
Moved round to drivers side, jack up the front (yes you can guess where this is going), front wheel off, just as I offer the spacesaver up to it I heard a grinding noise and the (scissor) jack slowly collapses!!!

So I then had to phone my indie and ask him to come to the house and jack it back up for me!! He did laugh to be fair but ironic that I was trying to save him any hassle and ended up hassling him even more!

Oh and then the X1 told me that the battery in my key fob needs replaced. So I used the other keyfob that had never been used and got the same message! Coincidence? (Interestingly in using the other key I realise that the car settings are set up individually for each key - couldnt understand why the wing mirrors were suddenly not positioned for me and the saved radio stations were different!

Time for a stiff drink!
 Its just one of those weeks! - Zero
Funnily enough, after two years mine started whining about the keyfob battery, so dragged out the unused (but set up for minute slip of a wife) key, and it promptly whines about that one too.

ended up changing both batteries.
I was impressed with the idrive system though - told me that the fob battery needed replacing and then I was able to view the "how to change the battery" instructions from the electronic owners manual on the idrive.
Saved me the hassle of reaching over to get the manual out the glovebox.....
 Its just one of those weeks! - Zero
>>the (scissor) jack

You knob, With hydraulic jacks so cheap, the only place for a scissor jack is in the bin, lucky you didnt get injured.
Interestingly the jack is rated for one tonne. Assume that is weight on jack as opposed to weight of the car?
Think it was actually the Jack from my Honda Civic that I had obviously kept! Interestingly it had exactly the shaped "head" to slot in to the X1s plastic cover round the jacking position.
 Its just one of those weeks! - Lygonos
Don't waste your time with axle stands.

This IKEA stool broke at 9 tonnes:

youtu.be/MqzKG69NCMQ?t=456
 Its just one of those weeks! - VxFan
>> couldn't understand why the wing mirrors were suddenly not positioned for me

You didn't pay the optional extra cost then and have more modern door mirrors fitted?
 Its just one of those weeks! - PeterS

>> Oh and then the X1 told me that the battery in my key fob needs
>> replaced. So I used the other keyfob that had never been used and got the
>> same message! Coincidence? (Interestingly in using the other key I realise that the car settings
>> are set up individually for each key - couldnt understand why the wing mirrors were
>> suddenly not positioned for me and the saved radio stations were different!
>>
>> Time for a stiff drink!
>>

Car keys have been set up to ‘remember’ settings for a while now, and yet for BMW and MB they still haven’t got it quite right, for convertibles at least. My old (2007) A4 convertible would remember the climate settings for roof up and roof down, and set them accordingly depending on driver and roof position. But the Merc and before it BMW convertibles don’t differentiate between roof up and door down, just by driver. First world problem I know, but roof-up it’s always set to ‘auto’ and 20.5 (though annoyingly the Merc climate control is only in whole numbers, so that’s 21) and roof down I send the air to the footwell, cool in the summer and warm in the winter!
Latest Forum Posts