Motoring Discussion > Motorways to trial 60mph limits to cut pollution Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 11

Motorways to trial 60mph limits to cut pollution - smokie
From the BBC

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-54130862

I find it a bit disappointing that they haven't suggested slow lanes just for dino juice burners while reserving a rapid lane for electric vehicles only. :-)
 Motorways to trial 60mph limits to cut pollution - Zero
The tesla owners dont want your milk float getting in the way.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 13 Sep 20 at 20:51
 Motorways to trial 60mph limits to cut pollution - PeterS
It’s the Teslas that go slowly on the motorway as far as I can see, to protect their range. You don’t often see them barrelling along at 85, unlike ICE cars. Whether that’s good or not I wouldn’t like to say! Though exporting our pollution to the countries where the stuff to make batteries is mined might become the next woke battle ;)
 Motorways to trial 60mph limits to cut pollution - sooty123
>> I find it a bit disappointing that they haven't suggested slow lanes just for dino
>> juice burners while reserving a rapid lane for electric vehicles only. :-)

That lane would be for EVs, closer to the hard shoulder when they run out of charge.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 13 Sep 20 at 20:51
 Motorways to trial 60mph limits to cut pollution - No FM2R
They need to be careful that reducing the motorway speed limit doesn't make other roads more attractive.

I know at least one place where I go the [very] long way around on the motorway because it's faster, but at a slower speed limit then straight through the town would be more attractive.
 Motorways to trial 60mph limits to cut pollution - wotspur
If the powers wanted to help with pollution , they were get all the traffic lights coordinated , so if you drive at the speed limit between the first set of lights along THE MAIN road , all the lights will be green , but no , heyre designed to cause as much stationary traffic as possible and lots of stop starting . Try going from Slough , past Heathrow and Up to Brentford , it’s probably about 12 miles and 20 odd lights and it’ll take you a good 40 minutes to do that journey ,of which probably 15-20 minutes will be sat at lights
 Motorways to trial 60mph limits to cut pollution - hawkeye
>> They need to be careful that reducing the motorway speed limit doesn't make other roads
>> more attractive.
>>

Too true. In North Yorkshire, the upgrading of the A1 has left large sections of the old A1 as local access roads. When bits of the new A1 were coned off and with a blanket 50mph limit; locals would leave the motorway, use the local access road and enjoy faster journey times (and a couple of roundabouts) at 60mph, or a teeny-weeny bit faster.
 Motorways to trial 60mph limits to cut pollution - zippy
>> They need to be careful that reducing the motorway speed limit doesn't make other roads
>> more attractive.
>>
>> I know at least one place where I go the [very] long way around on
>> the motorway because it's faster, but at a slower speed limit then straight through the
>> town would be more attractive.
>>

Bracknell is an example of that - between the M3 / M25 and M4. If the M25 were clear, it's a much easier drive. Reduce the limits then Bracknell becomes a natural shortcut.
 Motorways to trial 60mph limits to cut pollution - Terry
Seems to be a country wide problem.

In Devon and Somerset the M5 largely follows the route of the A38 - any major motorway delays immediately screw up the A38 and adjacent roads. Made increasingly worse by satnavs which will re-route if there is congestion on the original routeing to reduce journey time.

Motorway planning probably aimed to connect precisely the same towns and cities for which the existing A roads were overloaded - so no geat surprise!!
 Motorways to trial 60mph limits to cut pollution - Duncan
>> Made increasingly worse by> satnavs which will re-route if there is congestion on the original routeing to reduce journey>> time.
>>

I think the problem is that if your satnav, or other device, is set to fastest journey as a preference, then it will divert you even if it only saves a minute.
 Motorways to trial 60mph limits to cut pollution - No FM2R
> then it will divert you even if it only saves a minute.

And very irritating it is too. Though I notice that Google Maps will now often tell me the time difference between two routes; ("1 Minute faster", "Similar ETA", "1 minute slower" etc. etc)

But "Shortest" is worse. The choice of route then can be ridiculous for the sake of a few metres. For a car I can't see what sense "shortest" ever makes, though I guess for people-powered stuff (walking or cycling) I can see the logic.
 Motorways to trial 60mph limits to cut pollution - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>>
>> But "Shortest" is worse. The choice of route then can be ridiculous for the sake
>> of a few metres. For a car I can't see what sense "shortest" ever makes,
>> though I guess for people-powered stuff (walking or cycling) I can see the logic.
>>

Except that for cycling it routes you up every narrow little "One in Holy Cow" leg breaking hill it can find.
Latest Forum Posts